PDA

View Full Version : Mansfield Track Conditions

OhioRaceFan
07-02-2018, 08:17 PM
I am not posting this to bash the track but just to make everyone aware. Mansfield has a problem with rocks. I am going to assume they added dirt this spring but never screened it. At the Lucas oil race I was hit in the chest and a fan in front of me was hit in the upper lip to the point he was bleeding pretty good. You could hear the rocks pinging off the seats. One rock was considerably bigger than a golf ball and landed in the aisle way. I know someone in our group did bring this to attention of the track via email. People told me this was also a problem at the Sprint Car World championship. I have not bought tickets to the dirt million yet and am considering not going.

Pennsboro23
07-02-2018, 08:25 PM
There were rocks at the sprint car world championship as big as golf balls lying all over bleachers going into turn1.

chupp n bloomer fan
07-02-2018, 08:27 PM
I don’t blame you one bit. And glad you brought it up. Expo Speedway, mid 90’s, seen a teenage boy get nailed in the chest by a fist size rock from a sprint.

They make machines to get the rocks out. Personally, the little bit of video I’ve seen, the dirt looks like dirt, not clay.

OhioRaceFan
07-02-2018, 08:32 PM
We sat almost to turn 1 just past the over hang. I said the same thing today about it being dirt not clay.

Illtsate32
07-02-2018, 08:35 PM
CnB in Ill we call it bluff dirt..really light in color, very powdery and fine...

Hollis
07-02-2018, 08:37 PM
And on another note they should have street sweeper for pit road. That was uncalled for.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
07-02-2018, 09:09 PM
Lets wait til someone gets seriously hurt to do something. You would think after seeing the rocks in the stands after the shows over that they would address this issue.

GEAR_HEAD
07-02-2018, 09:16 PM
The track prep at Sharon was just as lazy as Mansfield's tonight. Must be an Ohio thing. Nobody takes pride in their racing surfaces anymore.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-02-2018, 09:27 PM
The track prep at Sharon was just as lazy as Mansfield's tonight. Must be an Ohio thing. Nobody takes pride in their racing surfaces anymore.

Don't be putting Ohio down! We got places like Moler that make sure you gotta run the guts out of your car to watch a widebore stomp your azz for $1500.

Clayton_Wetter
07-02-2018, 09:29 PM
Heaven forbid a faster car outrun a slower one. :rolleyes:

Let's go to a track where they all spin their wheels and handicap the fast cars.

Thank you Moler Speedway for preparing a good race track.

And it winds up usually not being very heavy at all.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-02-2018, 09:47 PM

Let's go to a track where they all spin their wheels and handicap the fast cars.

Slower under one set of conditions. You never had the pleasure of attempting to field a slm. You just have splinters in your azz. A weekly show is no Lucas Oil or Woo. You need 20 working men to bring a car to the track.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-02-2018, 09:55 PM

You mean handicap those who can't make their car work? But can overspend? Got ya.

a25rjr
07-02-2018, 10:04 PM
You mean handicap those who can't make their car work? But can overspend? Got ya.

Theres a lot of daddy's money being pissed on the ground!

Snowmanracr21
07-02-2018, 11:02 PM

apparently you've never been to Attica Raceway Park

zyoung25
07-03-2018, 01:37 AM

The track prep may have been crappy. But id much rather get to see what I paid for, instead of getting rained on and having to drive back in a few months for a makeup show.

GEAR_HEAD
07-03-2018, 06:17 AM
apparently you've never been to Attica Raceway Park

Been there many times. They're an exception though, they prep the track properly like an Illinois track.

wfofan
07-03-2018, 08:41 AM
From DOD PPV I watched, now throw rocks into the mix, they need to move the DirtMill to another track... I wouldn't go to that track if admission was free...

Dante Toledo, OH
07-03-2018, 09:40 AM
apparently you've never been to Attica Raceway ParkAttica is fantastic and so is Oakshade.

Clayton_Wetter
07-03-2018, 05:45 PM
Slower under one set of conditions. You never had the pleasure of attempting to field a slm. You just have splinters in your azz. A weekly show is no Lucas Oil or Woo. You need 20 working men to bring a car to the track.

Actually I don't have splinters. And with your attitude the grandstands could wind up empty. Where in the rules does it say, everybody has to be equal?

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-03-2018, 07:54 PM
Actually I don't have splinters. And with your attitude the grandstands could wind up empty. Where in the rules does it say, everybody has to be equal?

It doesn't. Variety is the spice of life. Hammer down one lane on the top gets old. Sometimes the smart guys should get their turn too. Doesn't always have to be the wallets.

And slm are dead regardless of my attitude.

3 wide
07-03-2018, 08:17 PM
Everybody was so high on this Cody guy now they have figured out he don't nothing about track prep and he had plenty of time guess he couldn't get somebody to prepare the track like st.louis.

GEAR_HEAD
07-03-2018, 11:58 PM
Everybody was so high on this Cody guy now they have figured out he don't nothing about track prep and he had plenty of time guess he couldn't get somebody to prepare the track like st.louis.

He should bring Gundaker up in August so that he can prep Mansfield too!

chupp n bloomer fan
07-04-2018, 05:59 AM
You guys are talking about prep and bringing someone in, well, if it’s not clay, which it looks iffy, then I don’t care who it is. You can’t make regular dirt be good. And having a ton of rocks leads me to believe it is not clay.

Mams
07-04-2018, 06:07 AM
Think the dirt for the track actually came from the base for the drag strip the last owner tried to put in. There may be some clay in it but mostly dirt. Strip would have run southwest on the east side of the pits.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-04-2018, 06:46 AM
It is a long way from clay.

PITTSBURGH
07-04-2018, 07:32 AM
I'll never go back!

Hoosier_Dirt
07-04-2018, 08:12 AM
I've watched 2 races there. Not impressed!!!

3 wide
07-04-2018, 08:51 AM
If you don't have a good race track it don't matter what the purse is the fans still want see a race.

Clayton_Wetter
07-04-2018, 06:55 PM
That "dirt million" or two thirds of a million, will make it all good, the lemmings will still fall for it.

But after that's over. Then what happens???

chupp n bloomer fan
07-04-2018, 07:11 PM
That "dirt million" or two thirds of a million, will make it all good, the lemmings will still fall for it.

But after that's over. Then what happens???Well, as long as Cody does ok, we will have another. And hopefully build on it. We need new promoters and new ideas, because just building it and they will come don’t work no more.

3 wide
07-04-2018, 07:52 PM
Sounds like you need a promoter that knows a little bit about track prep they've run 2 late models races and not a lead change yet lets go for 3 in a row better start on the pole.

Bigdirtfan
07-04-2018, 11:13 PM
I was at butler motor speedway in michigan last sat and the ethanol tour refused to race because of all the rocks on the track. The infield there looks like a rock quarry. That being said, some loud mouth fat woman behind me kept yelling that the ethanol guys needed a tissue and were scared to race. Thats the kind of inbred stupid people that keep going to poorly run race tracks week after week.

HIGH ROLLER
07-04-2018, 11:36 PM
I was at butler motor speedway in michigan last sat and the ethanol tour refused to race because of all the rocks on the track. The infield there looks like a rock quarry. That being said, some loud mouth fat woman behind me kept yelling that the ethanol guys needed a tissue and were scared to race. Thats the kind of inbred stupid people that keep going to poorly run race tracks week after week.Yea give her a tissue when she gets hit in the knogin and puts a big knot or gash. Disgrace to racing

Mindwalker
07-05-2018, 12:23 AM
I know that fat Girl!

Stefan2k4
07-05-2018, 01:13 AM
Yeah, if they've got rocks in their surface that's a bad deal. Very unsafe! You know if these sanctioning bodies were really concerned about safety, you wouldn't expect they'd race on a surface like that. I mean lately we've been hearing all this talk about safety and how it relates to drug testing policies, and yet something like this that could be a HUGE threat to the safety of both fans and drivers, goes completely ignored? Go figure?

i-pod
07-05-2018, 02:19 AM
I was at butler motor speedway in michigan last sat and the ethanol tour refused to race because of all the rocks on the track. The infield there looks like a rock quarry. That being said, some loud mouth fat woman behind me kept yelling that the ethanol guys needed a tissue and were scared to race. Thats the kind of inbred stupid people that keep going to poorly run race tracks week after week.I was also at Butler last Saturday. That track was junk. My first and last trip to Butler.

ptown
07-05-2018, 07:19 AM

But after that's over. Then what happens???

Agreed, it's entertaining to watch the lemmings follow each other over the cliff.

Josh Bayko
07-05-2018, 07:23 AM
The surface at Mansfiled has been hot garbage since day one. It needs actual clay in the worst way.

xray
07-05-2018, 08:38 AM
It doesn't. Variety is the spice of life. Hammer down one lane on the top gets old. Sometimes the smart guys should get their turn too. Doesn't always have to be the wallets.

And slm are dead regardless of my attitude.

Do you think the smart guys and the guys with money are mutually exclusive groups? I bet 95% fall in the old venn diagram overlap.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-05-2018, 08:59 AM
Do you think the smart guys and the guys with money are mutually exclusive groups? I bet 95% fall in the old venn diagram overlap.

Not mutally exclusive, but there is less overlap at weekly tracks than regional/national deals. All I know is that I am way above average on the weekly level, but have never consistently touched state of the art equipment.

Bigdirtfan
07-05-2018, 11:04 AM
I have never minded seeing big money win, someone was smart somewhere in life to make the money. I dont like rule after rule trying to take ingenuity away from the little guy, i think making the rumley device illegal was a huge step down the wrong path. That was a family team at the time, i find it ironic that davenport is now beating them with money, before it was mainly smarts.

PRCKartRacer9
07-05-2018, 11:40 AM
Late models and modstoday are Nascar of the 90's and the street stocks have become what lates used to be. Its sad because it takes sooooo much money to even think about competing. Set ups have always been a key role, but I feel ttoday that they are more important than the driver themself. Maybe I'm way off but the leaf spring cars seemed to handle more of a variety of track conditions better which in return made for more intersting races.

Clayton_Wetter
07-05-2018, 03:03 PM
I was also at Butler last Saturday. That track was junk. My first and last trip to Butler.

The Butler did it!!!!

They need many loads of real clay brought in.

Bigdirtfan
07-05-2018, 03:13 PM
Butler is the worst track in america. Once every five years i talk myself in to going back to try and support the second nearest track to my home. As i walked out the door sat, my wife said youre an idiot, she was right.

chupp n bloomer fan
07-05-2018, 04:37 PM
I have never minded seeing big money win, someone was smart somewhere in life to make the money. I dont like rule after rule trying to take ingenuity away from the little guy, i think making the rumley device illegal was a huge step down the wrong path. That was a family team at the time, i find it ironic that davenport is now beating them with money, before it was mainly smarts.He is not even remotely as dominant as he was with the gadget.

chupp n bloomer fan
07-05-2018, 04:41 PM
Yeah, if they've got rocks in their surface that's a bad deal. Very unsafe! You know if these sanctioning bodies were really concerned about safety, you wouldn't expect they'd race on a surface like that. I mean lately we've been hearing all this talk about safety and how it relates to drug testing policies, and yet something like this that could be a HUGE threat to the safety of both fans and drivers, goes completely ignored? Go figure?I’d consider a ton of rocks in a surface, much more dangerous than the drug epidemic in dirt late models. Puts drivers and fans at a huge risk. You never see them coming till it is too late.

Clayton_Wetter
07-05-2018, 04:47 PM
All it takes is for one of them rocks to hit someone in the eye or temple and then many people will be sorry and the lawsuits will be there.

Kromulous
07-05-2018, 04:52 PM
The Rumley device would of changed SLM racing forever, good or bad i am not sure.

Hoosier_Dirt
07-05-2018, 04:57 PM
All it takes is for one of them rocks to hit someone in the eye or temple and then many people will be sorry and the lawsuits will be there.

Very true!!!

cooter71
07-05-2018, 05:10 PM
We will be bashed and acused of ruining the sport for pointing out the obvious. Im aware of 2 people who drove hours to go and both had stitches ..I admire what he is doing and has done BRAVO but dang ...is he sitting in the stands and watching .. good luck to him ... I think he will get it worked out ..

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-05-2018, 05:26 PM
The Rumley device would of changed SLM racing forever, good or bad i am not sure.

In my opinion, it still has.

Stefan2k4
07-05-2018, 05:29 PM
So, why are the sanctioning bodies ignoring this blatant safety issue that could threaten the life of fans sitting in the grand stands and instead giving us a dog and pony show about peeing in a cup? In the other threads some have said the drug testing policy is about appeasing the insurance companies. Do the insurance companies not know about this? What would they say if they did? I can't believe they'd just accept the risk of someone getting hit a rock in the head or face. Maybe Lucas instead of following the lead of the WRG with it's pee in the cup sideshow, should reconsider having a million dollar, or rather not quite a million dollar race on this dangerous surface.

Illtsate32
07-05-2018, 05:38 PM
In my opinion, it still has.

I could be wrong but I think back around 2013-14 is when the 6 car started the a** up nose down attitude, with the rf out 2ft wider than rr. Then everyone follwed suit...

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-05-2018, 05:44 PM
I could be wrong but I think back around 2013-14 is when the 6 car started the a** up nose down attitude, with the rf out 2ft wider than rr. Then everyone follwed suit...

You don't need a device, or any knowledge related to one, to do that.

Josh Bayko
07-05-2018, 05:48 PM

I don’t really think they were lighting the world on fire yet back then. Shaver was still in the car and they won some races, but were by no means dominant.

Much of the areo stuff can be attributed to the wide open sails that started becoming a thing in ‘13. First car I remembered seeing with em was the Rocket house car. By the end of season, pretty much everybody had em.

MI Dirt Fan
07-05-2018, 05:54 PM
If the drivers at Butler for the Ethanol race refused to race because of track conditions why did they still? They ran no heat races but a 20 lap no points race for $4k. Doesn't seem to me that's refusing to race. From what I've heard they still wanted to give the fans a show even though it was shortened to just 20 laps.

Bigdirtfan
07-05-2018, 09:26 PM
They refused to race until the track was graded and rocks were pulled up, about an hour an half delay. I fully supported the series in their decision. The 20 lap feature was horrible, again no fault of the series, hopefully ethanol never returns to that dump. Next time i will try to improve my wording for you there mi dirt fan.

chupp n bloomer fan
07-06-2018, 04:35 AM
So, why are the sanctioning bodies ignoring this blatant safety issue that could threaten the life of fans sitting in the grand stands and instead giving us a dog and pony show about peeing in a cup? In the other threads some have said the drug testing policy is about appeasing the insurance companies. Do the insurance companies not know about this? What would they say if they did? I can't believe they'd just accept the risk of someone getting hit a rock in the head or face. Maybe Lucas instead of following the lead of the WRG with it's pee in the cup sideshow, should reconsider having a million dollar, or rather not quite a million dollar race on this dangerous surface.What’s easier, telling some guys to pee in a cup, or completely changing a tracks surface? And don’t worry, I agree with you. Just shame Cody didn’t find some good clay. With social media these days, he coulda got ahold of someone with actual clay. Or got permission to take soil samples at the track facility, and see if there’s any good clay there. Even if you have to dig a borrow pit. You could then make it a lake, or allow people to dump clean fill for nothing to fill it back in.

chupp n bloomer fan
07-06-2018, 04:36 AM
Just a shame it is supposed to say.

ksmitty79
07-06-2018, 11:33 AM
Look at some of the pictures of the race. You can see the rocks lay on the racetrack and even a couple of what looks like rocks being rooster tailed by cars

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-08-2018, 09:16 AM
Look at some of the pictures of the race. You can see the rocks lay on the racetrack and even a couple of what looks like rocks being rooster tailed by cars

Last year, a LM got a flat during the parade lap when a rock entered the backside of the wheel and wedged between the wheel and brake caliper. It broke the wheel.

3 wide
07-08-2018, 09:42 AM
This is what happens when you don't know what your doing from dirt to track prep and with as many cars as they are going to have this deal could get ugly quick.