PDA

View Full Version : Ride hts

hipower17
07-04-2018, 05:41 AM
i was watching lucas oil race the other night and noticed how high the right front nose was on most of the cars, is this just how they have them installed or are the right front ride hts set this high?

hpontap
07-04-2018, 08:01 AM
The show I watched, the track was pretty bumpy so I figured that they had raised the nose piece to give a little more height and not spear the track although at least one still did. This was an old show tho.

hipower17
07-04-2018, 10:17 AM
this was live show on dirtondirt sunday night.

Jking24
07-04-2018, 12:32 PM
Ride heights are raised on the rf to keep the lr down in order to be "legal" their is a rear deck height and front valance height rule

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-04-2018, 12:47 PM
Ride heights are raised on the rf to keep the lr down in order to be "legal" their is a rear deck height and front valance height rule

What is the valence height rule?

billetbirdcage
07-04-2018, 02:32 PM
What is the valence height rule?

15" from the top of the flat on the bottom of the nose, not the bottom of the valance.

grt74
07-04-2018, 04:41 PM
it all about aero, the rf is higher so that the lr will be lower, that way they can raise the decking at the spoiler, if you look at the rear deck supports you'll see that they are higher than most, hell the spoiler is over the roof height most times, with pull down rigs and spring smashers you don't have to worry about ride heights so much anymore, all you need is your load numbers at a particular measurement, but when you do this you need to understand how the car works because it can cause a real problem at certain times, thats why you see cars flipping at times

collateralDamage
07-04-2018, 10:15 PM
With such rules it's as important to be able to adjust the nose height as it is the deck height without changing the frame/ride heights. Ride heights don't mean any less now with newer technology than they did before spring smashers and pull down systems came around to the average joe. In fact, it's probably the opposite. Ride heights may not be a set standard per chassis but they are certainly critical to your setup.

Kromulous
07-05-2018, 06:54 AM
I noticed a lot of them at Mansfield, i am assuming because it was a corncob race track, were running a Big 92 on the RF. To get that nose up and out of the ruts i would assume.

How many run the 92s up front normally?

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-05-2018, 07:35 AM
I noticed a lot of them at Mansfield, i am assuming because it was a corncob race track, were running a Big 92 on the RF. To get that nose up and out of the ruts i would assume.

How many run the 92s up front normally?

I didn't realize that was legal with Lucas. Just checked, it isn't.

Basecircle
07-05-2018, 08:53 AM
I don’t think guys are jacking the RF up so much as just building bodies so that they allow max travel in the RF without hitting the track. Lower control arm angles (ride height) probably aren’t much different than before.

Jking24
07-05-2018, 09:36 AM
15" from the top of the flat on the bottom of the nose, not the bottom of the valance.Correct i tend to reference any part of the lower nose as the valance hence "valance rule" just a bad habit on my part

billetbirdcage
07-05-2018, 02:13 PM
Basecircle: The ride heights where being changed a ton before the 15" rule. Most cars are going to drag something at some point, so raising just the nose up to 20+ inches don't help.

Say my nose is at 15" and it would just touch as the crossmember or whatever is hitting the ground. Raising the nose more does nothing but just increases the nose distance dynamically because the car can't go down farther. When you saw noses over 15", it was because the car was rocked back to the LR only to get the LR deck down. Last year there was several cars at certain tracks that was over 18" (measured at the bottom of valence - not the top flat like the rule is now). I said a year ago in a post about the rules that they where gonna need a nose height rule, but didn't explain why and only a few people probably understood why I said that.

With the new nose rule, you can still rock most cars back some but least it's limited and it's going farther then it was. Hell, look at some pics at the beginning of the year where some guys front of the cars (in the line up grid) were just as high as the persons rear deck in front of them.