PDA

View Full Version : Shirley

Birky.Fan
07-05-2018, 03:41 AM
how about a round of applause for shirley? He's getting hot.

TMaCiLLiNi39
07-05-2018, 04:02 AM
how about a round of applause for shirley? He's getting hot.

I wouldn’t say he’s “getting hot”... I’d say he’s had great luck when Shannon has had terrible luck... Shannon had Clarksville won then his RR wheel broke, and tonight Shirley was leading, but both Erb and Babb were faster until Freddie Carpenter hit the wall barrier out of 4 collecting Erb and Babb who had nowhere to go

ss12
07-05-2018, 05:27 AM
Shirley has been running up front about every race. Glad to se he is having a good year!! Congratulation on the win last night. I hope to see him win at Lincoln on Monday!!

MGib24b
07-05-2018, 06:55 AM
Hope it goes down to the end, watching Babb and Shirley is every night has been awesome.What was Fast Freddy thinking last night?

Pennsboro23
07-05-2018, 07:03 AM
Hope it goes down to the end, watching Babb and Shirley is every night has been awesome.What was Fast Freddy thinking last night?

It's amazing how well he runs in WV, and he looks lost in Illinois.

Highside Hustler25
07-05-2018, 07:22 AM

What was the starter thinking when he let him back onto the track?

ptown
07-05-2018, 07:38 AM

Black dirt in Illinois

cgrace
07-05-2018, 08:21 AM
Whoever let Carpenter come running out the gate like that when the leaders took the green should be fired. Plus how the heck wasn't the YELLOW thrown. Thought there was going to be a major wreck!! that was bad officiating. Brian has been both lucky and good.

Josh Bayko
07-05-2018, 08:42 AM

It's not particularly uncommon for a regional superstar to struggle in their early attempts at going on the road.

Pennsboro23
07-05-2018, 08:46 AM
It's not particularly uncommon for a regional superstar to struggle in their early attempts at going on the road.

I agree, I didn't expect him to win however I thought he would have a couple top 10 runs. He's been starting dead last in his heat races....

ptown
07-05-2018, 08:50 AM
Whoever let Carpenter come running out the gate like that when the leaders took the green should be fired. Plus how the heck wasn't the YELLOW thrown. Thought there was going to be a major wreck!! that was bad officiating. Brian has been both lucky and good.

Just watched the video, Carpenter is an effing idiot.

Josh Bayko
07-05-2018, 09:50 AM
I agree, I didn't expect him to win however I thought he would have a couple top 10 runs. He's been starting dead last in his heat races....

They don’t really have any setup notes from out that way, and there really isn’t anybody out there that run Kryptonite cars to even help em out. Freddie is a solid driver, no doubt, but as setup dependent as modern DLM racing is, if you’re a even a little bit off, it’s gonna be a rough time. I’d bet if he goes out again next year, he’ll have a better idea of what the car needs and will be more competitive.

00Hdmn
07-05-2018, 10:18 AM
Are you guys talking about the race at Fayette County?

fryefan
07-05-2018, 10:19 AM
Congratulations to Brian and his crew. He was definitely the fastest car last night.

While he has run up front most of the SN races (usually in the top 3 or so), I figured he would have more wins at this point.

TackyTracker
07-05-2018, 11:04 AM
Freddie c'mon man

00Hdmn
07-05-2018, 11:15 AM

What race did this happen at?

Mindwalker
07-05-2018, 11:33 AM
Brian took 'em to school at LaSalle. No tarriable luck for Babb that night.

https://youtu.be/8GktjDZVi58

MI Dirt Fan
07-05-2018, 11:42 AM
What race did this happen at?

Last nights Hell tour race

WisWildManFan
07-05-2018, 12:05 PM
It's amazing how well he runs in WV, and he looks lost in Illinois.Lot of good cars in and around IL

Highside Hustler25
07-05-2018, 12:06 PM
Just watched the video, Carpenter is an effing idiot.

No, that would be you not knowing what you are talking about again. Every pit entrance and exit have officials. Whoever let him onto the track was in the wrong.

Mindwalker
07-05-2018, 12:10 PM
Give'm he!! HH! 😊

Dirt Clod
07-05-2018, 12:21 PM
Wonder if Freddie will be a Macon tonight. That will be an experience of a lifetime for him.

PRCKartRacer9
07-05-2018, 12:33 PM
Man I hope Freddie is and runs well. He's a true racer. Watched him when he was first starting and that man has come as far as anyone in the late model ranks. Super nice guy to boot

00Hdmn
07-05-2018, 12:38 PM
IDK what the heck I am missing watching the replay but it looked like the leaders were lapping Freddie, he was on the bottom then jumped to the top and got a left rear flat and that's when Erb hit him and Babb was collected. Am I watching the wrong video or something???

Pennsboro23
07-05-2018, 12:39 PM
Lot of good cars in and around IL

There's a lot in West Virginia as well. As other have mentioned, it's more about him not used to being at these tracks. The dirt is a lot different, and set up is key.

Pennsboro23
07-05-2018, 12:41 PM
Wonder if Freddie will be a Macon tonight. That will be an experience of a lifetime for him.

If I were to guess, I'd assume so. He may do a little better on these real small tracks. I bet he'll be at Farmer City tomorrow as well, didn't he run 2nd there last week for a regular show? Maybe someone from Ill. can confirm that.

cgrace
07-05-2018, 01:02 PM
IDK what the heck I am missing watching the replay but it looked like the leaders were lapping Freddie, he was on the bottom then jumped to the top and got a left rear flat and that's when Erb hit him and Babb was collected. Am I watching the wrong video or something???He must have fixed the flat, we were also talking about him getting to come back on the track when the green was thrown instead of having to wait till the field went by him. IMO Looked like Feger had to hit the brakes and was lucky Manville didn't slam them both.

00Hdmn
07-05-2018, 02:33 PM
He must have fixed the flat, we were also talking about him getting to come back on the track when the green was thrown instead of having to wait till the field went by him. IMO Looked like Feger had to hit the brakes and was lucky Manville didn't slam them both.

Thanks for clarifying.

Bubstr
07-05-2018, 06:11 PM
You see a lot of Illinois racers, that have trouble out east or south. There are a lot of reasons and there are hard times, we see. Non Illinois drivers have them problems here. Different legal tire compounds, you can use, is big. Tires fire different. They wear different. The dirt and prep of the tracks is different. Until you get notes that work, your lost. On top of this, even the best racer is going to lose more than he wins. Look at Bobby Pierce on these tracks in the south, that he has never seen. It isn't his driving, giving those results. The same for Freddy. There is just more to this racing stuff. I think knowing some of it, makes watching more fun. We sometimes look at locals as king, but if they are not a tour driver or homey who saw that, done that, they get to start in the hole.

I've seen several that ran great till about 10 laps to go and dropped 5 spots. Simple tire management and dirt. These guys don't forget how to drive, when they cross the Appliations.

Cardirt0
07-05-2018, 07:05 PM
You see a lot of Illinois racers, that have trouble out east or south. There are a lot of reasons and there are hard times, we see. Non Illinois drivers have them problems here. Different legal tire compounds, you can use, is big. Tires fire different. They wear different. The dirt and prep of the tracks is different. Until you get notes that work, your lost. On top of this, even the best racer is going to lose more than he wins. Look at Bobby Pierce on these tracks in the south, that he has never seen. It isn't his driving, giving those results. The same for Freddy. There is just more to this racing stuff. I think knowing some of it, makes watching more fun. We sometimes look at locals as king, but if they are not a tour driver or homey who saw that, done that, they get to start in the hole.

I've seen several that ran great till about 10 laps to go and dropped 5 spots. Simple tire management and dirt. These guys don't forget how to drive, when they cross the Appliations.

You got that Bubstr Dirt is not just dirt. Thats why they plant a lot of Corn and Beans here. And you get there and theres more clay in it. its a time to learn thing.

Mindwalker
07-05-2018, 08:33 PM
You got that Bubstr Dirt is not just dirt. Thats why they plant a lot of Corn and Beans here. And you get there and theres more clay in it. its a time to learn thing.

I couldn't have said it better. 😊

Clayton_Wetter
07-05-2018, 09:17 PM
It better!!!!

Mindwalker
07-05-2018, 09:46 PM
Thanks, I can't say that, Wetter.

Mindwalker
07-05-2018, 09:49 PM
What better, Wetter?

scottdomine222
07-10-2018, 08:20 AM
"I wouldn’t say he’s “getting hot”... I’d say he’s had great luck when Shannon has had terrible luck..."Being in the right position to capitalize on misfortune is more than "luck...." Shirley is leading the Hell Tour points because he has been running great and continues to do so.... consistency wins championships!!!

Hollis
07-10-2018, 08:50 AM
You see a lot of Illinois racers, that have trouble out east or south. There are a lot of reasons and there are hard times, we see. Non Illinois drivers have them problems here. Different legal tire compounds, you can use, is big. Tires fire different. They wear different. The dirt and prep of the tracks is different. Until you get notes that work, your lost. On top of this, even the best racer is going to lose more than he wins. Look at Bobby Pierce on these tracks in the south, that he has never seen. It isn't his driving, giving those results. The same for Freddy. There is just more to this racing stuff. I think knowing some of it, makes watching more fun. We sometimes look at locals as king, but if they are not a tour driver or homey who saw that, done that, they get to start in the hole.I've seen several that ran great till about 10 laps to go and dropped 5 spots. Simple tire management and dirt. These guys don't forget how to drive, when they cross the Appliations.Have to agree with that common sense answer.

schlieperfan9
07-10-2018, 10:04 AM
Shirley has had uncanny luck in the SummerNationals, Babb has been the better car overall but horrible luck. It is not over yet.

rc24
07-10-2018, 11:36 AM
You guys have not been paying attention. Shirley has been running up front since the show me. He has had that car rolling for awhile. He has had luck but I define luck as when opportunity and hard work come together.

The Erb , Babb and Carpenter incident. Carpenter was having trouble with the car shutting off.(electrical) His car died coming off that corner and collected Erb and Babb that night.

MI Dirt Fan
07-10-2018, 11:59 AM
You guys have not been paying attention. Shirley has been running up front since the show me. He has had that car rolling for awhile. He has had luck but I define luck as when opportunity and hard work come together.

The Erb , Babb and Carpenter incident. Carpenter was having trouble with the car shutting off.(electrical) His car died coming off that corner and collected Erb and Babb that night.
Apparently 4 wins (1 less than Babb) and 2 in a row is luck. He was a front runner for the championship along with Babb before the tour started.

rc24
07-10-2018, 02:29 PM
I think you missed my point. Shirley has been really fast.

Bowling Dr.
07-10-2018, 02:37 PM
I'm pretty sure Brian had just as much of bad luck as Babb. Just dont be so narrow minded people. It was a great fight but someone wins and someone loses.

t4g2
07-10-2018, 02:48 PM
yes its been a great battle Shirley has been very consistent. Yes Babb has had bad luck, leading 4 nights out of 6 then get flats while leading, Shirley hasnt had that kind of bad luck? Babb also got collected in the wreck with erb Shirley didnt? And the other 2 nights babb broke while leading. So id say alot more bad luck than Shirley

Bowling Dr.
07-10-2018, 02:56 PM
so your telling me babb was leading 4 races then had a flat while leading and the broke 2 more time while leading? just want to make sure 'im reading your quote correctly

TMaCiLLiNi39
07-10-2018, 03:57 PM
so your telling me babb was leading 4 races then had a flat while leading and the broke 2 more time while leading? just want to make sure 'im reading your quote correctly

Babb was leading at Pevely, flat tire
Babb had Clarksville won... flat tire with 4 to go
Fayette County, running 3rd behind Shirley and Erb, and Carpenter hit the barrier out of turn 4 and collect Erb and Babb... Shirley wins... not sure if Shannon would have won, but he lost a lot of points...
Macon... running 2nd, broken Axle
farmer City, leading.... flat tire under caution...

Dirt217
07-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Shirley had Macon won..when he pulled in on lap 94

TMaCiLLiNi39
07-10-2018, 04:11 PM
Shirley had Macon won..when he pulled in on lap 94

Yeah and Babb broke way earlier while battling with him

Dirt217
07-10-2018, 04:13 PM
Shirley ended up 12th and babb 14th

MI Dirt Fan
07-10-2018, 04:13 PM
I wonder why Babb doesn't run one of those Kevlar inserts then....

Bowling Dr.
07-10-2018, 11:04 PM
Pevely- Babb was battling for 2nd when the flat happened Macon- Babb broke axle in 4th and never led race Plymouth- Shirley was 2nd when leader spun and then they gave him spot back Tri City- Shirley 1st when hits rut and buckles nose under Macon- Shirley 1st when axle breaks Not arguing but bad luck happens to them all, thats all im saying

Zonks32x
07-11-2018, 09:03 PM
At least Babb & Shirley also have some good racing luck.

Feger's been on a rough stretch of bad luck for months.