PDA

View Full Version : Vic Hill offers views on local, regional, and national racing

Returning to Dirt
07-13-2018, 09:19 AM
https://insidedirtracing.com/vic-hill-offers-views-on-local-regional-and-national-racing/

Vic Hill shares his views on what needs to take place for racing to remain a healthy sport

Kromulous
07-13-2018, 09:47 AM
Need to combine the crates with the steel heads, weight break them to smooth out the gaps. Open it up to more people, and feed up to the Supers.

Cardirt0
07-13-2018, 03:17 PM
To meany kind of Crates. to meany people trying to make money off them. a lot of tracks that are 40 miles from each other run them and they ant the same at the 2 tracks. A lot of good things that started they got way out of hand, and now you got 10 kind of Crates. And it just makes things Worst. I say in 3 years there will be just one Touring group in SLM and if they lucky they have 20 cars. I see a lot of tracks going down in the next 3 years.

Clayton_Wetter
07-13-2018, 06:22 PM
End Crates....And high dollar Mods. Add rules to make LM's less expensive at last!!! And yes, new rules can make cars cost less, if they are actually cost cutting.

nightmare_begins
07-13-2018, 09:43 PM
Give the super guys the choice of two tire compounds and do the same with shocks. Tires and technology kill the local/regional racer. Which in part led to the emergence of the crate class (a cheaper alternative). Not much of a cheaper alternative now tho. Hell can do the same for the crate class as well....just my two cents....

dirty-white-boy
07-15-2018, 12:27 PM
Just another guy making bank on selling 40k bullets. Just another guy with great ideas with no execution. Washington DC is full of the same type!

How is this a story?

Mud Packer
07-15-2018, 10:29 PM
Tires, shocks and motors are the three most expensive components that is driving the price of racing up. A rules package that limits spending and also given the racers an open tire rule. I agree with Vic that you need a stepping stone division that is below SLM in order to get people interested in moving up. In addition to this you need to be teching the cars on a weekly basis in order to level the playing field. Many local racers have given up with high costs and low payouts. That has to change.

Most tracks could use someone in a sales capacity to work on selling corporate packages that can allow for purses to increase somewhat. Many tracks do a good job with this. Look at the signage at the tracks you attend and you should be able to tell right away. Successful ones know how while others struggle.

This won't change over night but it needs to start at some point. Why not now?

getinit
07-15-2018, 11:07 PM
Just another guy making bank on selling 40k bullets. Just another guy with great ideas with no execution. Washington DC is full of the same type!

How is this a story?

exactly my thoughts when I read the headline.

Krooser
07-16-2018, 04:21 AM
Weekly racing....

Restrictor plates on the wide bores.
Oil shocks. One per wheel.
Hard right rear and no grooving or siping on any tire.

You just reduced the cost of racing a weekly show.

mcarter815
07-16-2018, 07:36 AM
Weekly racing....

Restrictor plates on the wide bores.
Oil shocks. One per wheel.
Hard right rear and no grooving or siping on any tire.

You just reduced the cost of racing a weekly show.

No grooving or siping means the racer has to buy more tires.

CageFaraday
07-16-2018, 08:02 AM
Un-Hook the cars, engine costs go down. If you can't hook up 900HP the need to buy spread bore goes away. Simple.

Kromulous
07-16-2018, 10:33 AM
Reduce the aero dependence, smaller spoilers, harder tires.

Illtsate32
07-16-2018, 10:41 AM
Yes they got their deck dished out to funnel all that air up the wedge to that massive spoiler...

let-r-eat
07-16-2018, 02:52 PM
Like many here I've been around racing all my life. Racing is digging a hole that it can't recover from. Vic Hill is stating that the LM class needs more money to sustain the higher costs. The 40K+ engines and 40K+ rollers just to get started is too high. Yes people buy $50K bass boats to catch .15cent bluegills but and here is the big butt in the equation.........There is no work in the boat..........you pay someone else to fix it if it breaks.

There needs to be entry level classes that can be entered for meager means. The higher dollar stuff isn't for entry level racing. Guys that have won races all their lives can't stay on the lead lap anymore. That should tell racetracks something.

MI Dirt Fan
07-16-2018, 02:58 PM
So their interviewing a guy who makes a living off selling his product to racers is asked about how to cut costs. Is Vic Hill racing engines making too much money or his he concerned that higher costs will put himself out of business because no one will be buying?

LMNED10
07-17-2018, 02:29 PM
So we listen to Vic Hill tell us how to make the rules and he sells $25.000 steel motors, $50,000 open motors and $100,000 off road motors and this guy has all the answers, think not.

MI Dirt Fan
07-17-2018, 03:10 PM
So we listen to Vic Hill tell us how to make the rules and he sells $25.000 steel motors, $50,000 open motors and $100,000 off road motors and this guy has all the answers, think not.

Exactly.......

LMNED10
07-17-2018, 03:59 PM
When the promoters wake up and quit listening to the high profile drivers and get their egos filled with the superstars running at their tracks and all the manufactures quit make something new every month to try and out do the next manufacture then we might have some civility in dirt racing but until that happens it will be the Wild Wild West on rules and cost

MI Dirt Fan
07-17-2018, 04:07 PM
Sometimes you wonder if it's the owner/promoter running a place or certain drivers.

NormP
07-17-2018, 04:20 PM
If I was an engine builder and someone was willing to buy my engines for $40,000-$50,000 you can (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) well bet I would sell them for that much.

Only an idiot would start or run a business and not get that much for his product if the market supported it.

You want a guy to not charge so much for his engines? Then stop buying them at that price.

Don't blame Vic Hill. He would be stupid not to charge as much as he does if every other good builder out there is in the same price range.

jog49
07-17-2018, 05:35 PM
Cutting costs will cut speed. Cars start slowing down and fans start staying home to watch television. Who the hell wants to watch slow racing? I fall asleep at U-Car events.