PDA

View Full Version : Fatal crash at Sycamore Speedway...

Mindwalker
07-14-2018, 04:26 PM
Thoughts and prayers...

https://chicagoinformer.com/521386/morton-grove-man-dies-following-race-car-crash-at-sycamore-speedway/

Zonks32x
07-14-2018, 04:32 PM
Thoughts and prayers to the family, friends, fellow racers, first responders, track staff, race fans, and the people of DeKalb county who were all affected by this event.

TS FAN
07-14-2018, 07:23 PM
Figure eight events are just asking for trouble. We lost a driver several years ago at Florence. They have not had another one since

Clayton_Wetter
07-14-2018, 07:40 PM
Figure eight events are just asking for trouble. We lost a driver several years ago at Florence. They have not had another one since

Lost one on the oval a couple years ago.

TS FAN
07-14-2018, 08:04 PM
Who? I don't remember that

Clayton_Wetter
07-14-2018, 08:09 PM
Who? I don't remember that

I think it was Roberson?

J20in1st
07-15-2018, 12:15 AM
Sycamore flirts with the devil ever Friday night. Many classes are allowed to race with no cages.

rdcllk
07-15-2018, 01:19 AM
Roberson. I'm thinking had a heart attack. Under caution flag. Been a long time ago now

Mindwalker
07-15-2018, 01:27 AM
Sycamore flirts with the devil ever Friday night. Many classes are allowed to race with no cages.

Many classes? Im guessing you're over reacting some. This has happened at other tracks and I can almost assure you Sycamore won't be running that class again.

J20in1st
07-15-2018, 02:14 AM
Tiffany already said they will be keeping the class.

The 4 bangers and the low divsion v8 cars are no cage.
Almost all the friday night classes no cage.

I go to Sycamore also Phil

fastford
07-15-2018, 01:18 PM
its hard for me to believe any track would run a class with out cages , i wander does there insurance company know this?

mcarter815
07-15-2018, 02:15 PM
I have never seen a bus race with roll cages in the buses, so it does happen in some classes.

MI Dirt Fan
07-15-2018, 02:29 PM
I've seen a couple other amusement races where they didn't have roll cages using 4-6cylinder cars. They were regular weekly racers who volunteered to run the race in but only in reverse though. The one I remember hit the wall in reverse and it actually ended up breaking the stock seat. The driver couldn't get out because he was pinned between the seats and the steering wheel and he was up against the wall. But they just rolled the car forward to get him out.

TS FAN
07-16-2018, 07:58 AM
Roberson. I'm thinking had a heart attack. Under caution flag. Been a long time ago now

OK, yes that was actually in 2001. Dennis Robertson. He died of a heart attack under a caution. It happened right in front of where I was sitting. His car just took off for no apparent reason and hit the wall. I saw him slumped as he went by and knew he was in trouble.

CageFaraday
07-16-2018, 08:08 AM
Sad to hear this. Can't speak to the specifics of this incident, but I would never enter a race with out a full cage. Back in the day(80's) Dixie/Rome/7 Flags ran a class called enduro that didn't have a full cage, but they did have a cage for the drivers compartment. Seems like they didn't throw cautions except for fire and track blocked, most were monte carlos and torino's. Never liked that class, even at 16 I thought it was stupid.

chupp n bloomer fan
07-16-2018, 04:36 PM
Wonder who thinks running no cages is a swell idea. Cages, belts, fire suit, good helmet, all of it.

Mindwalker
07-16-2018, 05:04 PM
Wonder who thinks running no cages is a swell idea. Cages, belts, fire suit, good helmet, all of it.

Not at all a good idea. It's no surprise what people will do when there is no rules mandating thier safty. People ride motercycles everyday in most parts of the county without a helmet.

Sad deal for all involved.

JCSullivan00
07-16-2018, 07:36 PM
OK, yes that was actually in 2001. Dennis Robertson. He died of a heart attack under a caution. It happened right in front of where I was sitting. His car just took off for no apparent reason and hit the wall. I saw him slumped as he went by and knew he was in trouble.

TS FAN, You got the last name right. It was Dave Robertson. He was a super stock driver, and a (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) good guy. It was a big loss to the track. His brother Mark raced there as well.

HIGH ROLLER
07-16-2018, 08:03 PM
Not at all a good idea. It's no surprise what people will do when there is no rules mandating thier safty. People ride motercycles everyday in most parts of the county without a helmet.

Sad deal for all involved.

And you wear your helmet every day! Such a game player that u are

Mindwalker
07-16-2018, 09:06 PM
And you wear your helmet every day! Such a game player that u are

Oh yeah? Well jd sucks! Hahahahahahahaha

Clayton_Wetter
07-16-2018, 09:55 PM
TS FAN, You got the last name right. It was Dave Robertson. He was a super stock driver, and a (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) good guy. It was a big loss to the track. His brother Mark raced there as well.

Has that really been that long ago? I thought someone died just a few years ago.

JCSullivan00
07-18-2018, 08:21 PM
Has that really been that long ago? I thought someone died just a few years ago.

The only on track fatalties I can think of are Denny Klier in Figure 8 and Dave Robertson.