PDA

View Full Version : Summer Nationals... overrated?

Kryptonite17
07-15-2018, 12:30 AM
I sure think so, how about you? Zack Dohm might agree. Starting to wornder if Summer Nats are just a way for Moyer to get more wins against mediocre competition...

dirtyboy
07-15-2018, 12:35 AM
Put Zack Dohm on the entire tour and let's see how he's running after about 3 weeks. It's not uncommon for drivers to "drop in" the Tour and do well. Congrats to him on the big wins

GEAR_HEAD
07-15-2018, 12:44 AM
Dohm was much fresher than the Summernats guys, so let's not overreact. Not to mention Dohm is one of the region's best and track was complete garbage all weekend. But he put himself in position to win so good for him.

Kryptonite17
07-15-2018, 12:52 AM
"Drop in?" I would love to see him and many others be able to venture farther west and run it. My point is track to track there is very little if any local competition on the "hell tour." The last two nights prove my point. Again, Dohm's first trip to Oakshade too. And, cha ching. Shirley, Moyer? Come on, call it like it is. Overrated.

klemmabyna
07-15-2018, 01:39 AM
when you and zack have the balls to step up and run the entire tour maybe then you will have a valid point.

Kryptonite17
07-15-2018, 01:52 AM
I think it has to do with the $$ not the balls. my point is validated the past two nights. And btw the 17 in my name has nothing to do with Zack Dohm. Never even met the guy, just know he can hold his own with these "hell tour" regulars. My point is the farther east SN comes the less 3s, 21 will win.

Illtsate32
07-15-2018, 02:24 AM
Babb and Shirley will win most races in any region of the country...

kidrock
07-15-2018, 06:59 AM
I sure think so, how about you? Zack Dohm might agree. Starting to wornder if Summer Nats are just a way for Moyer to get more wins against mediocre competition...

Then why didn't Moyer win every race he was in? I like Zack Dohm and wish he could run the whole tour like many others but, be rest assured they will find out what it takes to run the entire tour from start to finish. Why don't ask Freddie Carpenter and he ran just one week. I thought he would do better then what he did.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-15-2018, 07:11 AM
Dohm would struggle in Illinois just like Freddie did.

Pennsboro23
07-15-2018, 08:11 AM
when you and zack have the balls to step up and run the entire tour maybe then you will have a valid point.

"Zack Dohm threatens legal action as he seeks to clear his name after failed tire tests"

https://racingnews.co/2017/10/31/zach-dohm-ponderosa-speedway-tire-test/

I’m not saying Zack would go to Illinois and set the world on fire but he would run better than Freddie. We’re talking about a guy who ran top 10 in the World, Dream, DTWC, and NS 100 last year. And his tires were good for all those races.

Also, it’s impressive that West Virginia has 3 of the top regional guys in the entire country. I’d put them against anyone. (Ty Carp, JHawk and Dohm).

Highside Hustler25
07-15-2018, 08:15 AM

Get a haircut

Hoosier_Dirt
07-15-2018, 09:07 AM
These guys were wore flat out by the time they got to Oakshade!! Overrated? No way!!!

getinit
07-15-2018, 09:13 AM
I think it has to do with the $$ not the balls. my point is validated the past two nights. And btw the 17 in my name has nothing to do with Zack Dohm. Never even met the guy, just know he can hold his own with these "hell tour" regulars. My point is the farther east SN comes the less 3s, 21 will win.

If it was all about the money these silver spoon kids wouldn't be getting whooped by the veterans. Moyer has beat the best time and time again, what does he have to prove?

I'll be looking forward to seeing you on the tour taking all the money next year.

Mindwalker
07-15-2018, 09:26 AM
Get a haircut

You take my posts literally dont you? Hahahaha

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-15-2018, 10:14 AM
In those big races, in non illinois dirt, 17 rode around and gobbled up a top 10 on black ice. I'd be shocked if he excelled on that illinois gumbo stuff. He is a better version of Freddie for sure, but that is a different ballgame out there.

Can't agree Penn.

cjp0354
07-15-2018, 11:11 AM
IMO the regional talent in order goes: Illinois, Ohio, Tennessee, Indiana, and West Virginia.

Highside Hustler25
07-15-2018, 11:30 AM
You take my posts literally dont you? Hahahaha
cuz you're my mentor. tryin my best to emulate ya:D

In those big races, in non illinois dirt, 17 rode around and gobbled up a top 10 on black ice. I'd be shocked if he excelled on that illinois gumbo stuff. He is a better version of Freddie for sure, but that is a different ballgame out there.

You're spot on. Dohm said Oakshade fit his style and had been on his radar for a few years. Says he's good in the slick but not very comfortable on a hooked up track. His wins were still impressive against some tough competitors that have a lot of laps at that oval. Always refreshing to see a regional racer have a nice payday.

chupp n bloomer fan
07-15-2018, 11:43 AM
It’s not that Zach is uncomfortable in the tacky stuff, they just have a conventional motor. It is not a wide bore. He said around 790. So, he just feels he’d get out motored on the heavy stuff.

Pennsboro23
07-15-2018, 11:45 AM

Can't agree Penn.

Not sure what you’re disagreeing with. I said he wouldn’t set the world on fire out there, but his results would be better than Freddie’s.

Josh Bayko
07-15-2018, 11:46 AM
IMO the regional talent in order goes: Illinois, Ohio, Tennessee, Indiana, and West Virginia.

Pennsylvania not on your list?

Lol.

Pennsboro23
07-15-2018, 11:46 AM
cuz you're my mentor. tryin my best to emulate ya:D

You're spot on. Hawkins said Oakshade fit his style and had been on his radar for a few years. Says he's good in the slick but not very comfortable on a hooked up track. His wins were still impressive against some tough competitors that have a lot of laps at that oval. Always refreshing to see a regional racer have a nice payday.

You mean Dohm.

Pennsboro23
07-15-2018, 11:48 AM

Regional talent only, you have Indiana and Ohio better than WV or PA? I’ll agree with Illinois.

cjp0354
07-15-2018, 11:57 AM
I was judging it on guys that don’t run a national series but make more A mains and run good against the national guys. I’m not familiar at all with PA. I guess I just don’t see their names popping up a lot in big races. That is about the only way you can compare regional racers against other regional racers.

MEE
07-15-2018, 12:55 PM
These guys were wore flat out by the time they got to Oakshade!! Overrated? No way!!!

Maybe they need to go see Bloomers DR. LOL

ride height
07-15-2018, 01:04 PM
In answer to original question. A little bit...yes. But it’s a chance for a lot of tracks to have some higher level lates put on a show for the locals.

Zonks32x
07-15-2018, 01:14 PM
Pennsylvania not on your list?

Lol.

Josh, not taking sides here...and speaking only as one guy from the upper midwest (WI, MN, IL, MI, IA) my mind immediately goes to sprintcars when I here PA.

Why? Because back in the 80's as a teen, much was made on TNT tv races about the "Beer Hill Gang" and the PA Posse.

Then you come to realize in talking/meeting more race fans that PA has a very good DLM scene too (it's not just sprint country) and has deep roots & traditions, including the Pittsburger and the Firecracker.

So, I can't speak for the other poster, but I would interpret that post, more as an honest "omission" than an intended slight.

Highside Hustler25
07-15-2018, 01:20 PM
You mean Dohm.

thank you..........

Hollis
07-15-2018, 02:13 PM
Didn't know the summer Nationals was bout the best drivers in the country. Good drivers in every state. Thought it was about the GRIND. Overrated? How do you overrate the "HELL TOUR" Maybe by those who have never tried it. Feger said it. Respect for the teams and crews that do it.

Cardirt0
07-15-2018, 02:35 PM
They ant what they use to be thats for sure.

Josh Bayko
07-15-2018, 02:44 PM
Josh, not taking sides here...and speaking only as one guy from the upper midwest (WI, MN, IL, MI, IA) my mind immediately goes to sprintcars when I here PA.

Why? Because back in the 80's as a teen, much was made on TNT tv races about the "Beer Hill Gang" and the PA Posse.

Then you come to realize in talking/meeting more race fans that PA has a very good DLM scene too (it's not just sprint country) and has deep roots & traditions, including the Pittsburger and the Firecracker.

So, I can't speak for the other poster, but I would interpret that post, more as an honest "omission" than an intended slight.

A local guy beat the WoO not even a month ago in Pennsylvania.

cgrace
07-15-2018, 02:44 PM
Dohm did great. Not trying to take anything away from him. He put himself in the position to win. BUT he also started up front on a track which both nights was NOT conducive to passing. If Oakshade was in it's usual shape, would have been better racing. #RespectSummernationals.

dirt junkie
07-15-2018, 02:58 PM
I like Dohm and was happy for them guys this weekend but I bet if he started the tour from the beginning they would be back home in 2 weeks with some tore up equipment. Not many at all can survive it

kidrock
07-15-2018, 03:16 PM
I would like to see them race Thursday, Friday,Saturday and Sunday 10,000 to win each night with Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday as off days with a possibility of rescheduling rain outs on those day if the tracks wants to reschedule. Would like to see 50,000 to 75,000 for the winner with a decent payout down the line for at least top 10 or even top 20. I know it's wishful thinking but, they may get some to try the entire tour. To say the summer nationals is overrated I guess It depends on what your talking about but, I by no means think it's overrated.

Highside Hustler25
07-15-2018, 04:09 PM
I thought it was pretty cool of Paul Stubber to put his crew chief in his car last night. A little reward for sticking it out all year.

Clayton_Wetter
07-15-2018, 04:30 PM
Get a haircut

Come on Backside, do better than that. :)

Clayton_Wetter
07-15-2018, 04:32 PM
The $5000 races need to end. Make them all 10 or more. Some new tracks would have to be added though.

klemmabyna
07-15-2018, 04:34 PM
I would like to see them race Thursday, Friday,Saturday and Sunday 10,000 to win each night with Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday as off days with a possibility of rescheduling rain outs on those day if the tracks wants to reschedule. Would like to see 50,000 to 75,000 for the winner with a decent payout down the line for at least top 10 or even top 20. I know it's wishful thinking but, they may get some to try the entire tour. To say the summer nationals is overrated I guess It depends on what your talking about but, I by no means think it's overrated.

that wouldn't be the Hell Tour. That would be Lucas/WoO.

Highside Hustler25
07-15-2018, 04:42 PM
The $5000 races need to end. Make them all 10 or more. Some new tracks would have to be added though.

That would be great but to many tracks don't have enough seating capacity for a promoter to stick his neck out. Most all the weekend shows that pay 10 G are bigger facilities and have large local fan bases.

Clayton_Wetter
07-15-2018, 04:47 PM
That would be great but to many tracks don't have enough seating capacity for a promoter to stick his neck out. Most all the weekend shows that pay 10 G are bigger facilities and have large local fan bases.

Some tracks that can handle a 10K are choosing to run a weeknight 5K and charge about the same admission to make extra profit. In my opinion they are just taking total advantage of the 5K option. But you are right a few of these tracks don't have enough grandstand capacity for 10K.

Illtsate32
07-15-2018, 04:50 PM
I dont know an exact answer but up the points title to 50,000 would be my suggestion, that would get id say a few top notch guys to follow the whole tour, maybe even from different regions or even a couple national tour drivers...maybe trim the schedule down to 22-25 races in 30 days...

ThebigE
07-16-2018, 12:14 PM
Was it just me that thought a lot of the SN tracks were junk and races were boring and one lane?

Highside Hustler25
07-16-2018, 12:25 PM
Attended 8 events and had no complaints. A few were weekday shows that were over in a very timely fashion. That was a added bonus.