PDA

View Full Version : Cup race at Eldora

Jed
07-19-2018, 11:50 AM
Lots of talk about this on social media as Tony Stewart is really pushing to make it happen. I really hope it doesn’t. Eldora is sacred......it has a kind of racing purity that NASCAR lost decades ago. As it becomes necessary to update Eldora I hope anything they tear down is rebuilt just like it was. You know darn well if they get a Cup date they will try and NASCAR-ize it.

Before anyone says anything yes I know what they did to the infield building and I’m ok with that. That was a nice improvement that was needed. I just wouldn’t want them to do a complete makeover to the rest of the facility.

ptown
07-19-2018, 11:54 AM
No thanks NASCAR please go away and suck somewhere else.

Barbecueboy
07-19-2018, 12:06 PM
No thanks NASCAR please go away and suck somewhere else.

On this......WE AGREE

kidrock
07-19-2018, 12:30 PM
I would love to see it. I would like to see what these guys could do on a dirt track. Back in the day they used to race on dirt why not now. I believe it will happen. It might be like the all star race and not a points race.

MI Dirt Fan
07-19-2018, 12:34 PM
It might be interesting BUT don't do it at Eldora.

HoosierDirtFan
07-19-2018, 12:58 PM
What about Knoxville or is there not enough banking to donut there?
Other then Duquoin, Springfield, or the Hoosier Mile that's likely the only ther dirt track that could host an Truck, Xfinity, or Cup race.

chopter
07-19-2018, 12:59 PM
Should be 2 or 3 dirt races for cup.

Mason87
07-19-2018, 01:01 PM
I sure hope not, the truck race is a joke. Only thing I like about it is some dirt drivers get a chance for some exposure.

Birky15Bfan
07-19-2018, 01:23 PM
You could tear up the track at North Wilksborough and make it a dirt track. The rest of the facility is already there and just sitting empty.

MI Dirt Fan
07-19-2018, 01:34 PM
You could tear up the track at North Wilksborough and make it a dirt track. The rest of the facility is already there and just sitting empty.

Most if the buildings are in disrepair or close to it. I've seen pics of some with tree's growing up through them

Chris Thomason
07-19-2018, 01:39 PM
I watched the trucks for the novelty of it and will continue long as they do it. When it comes to the Sunday guys on dirt I'd much rather see an exhibition in late model cars like prelude to the dream. Putting NASCAR's version of a stock car on Eldora makes as much sense as a slm on Daytona

Clayton_Wetter
07-19-2018, 01:47 PM
So what kind of race cars would they be driving for these dirt races? Borrowing dirt LM's and setups would not make it very equal. Modifying Cup Cars for one race on dirt? The track would have to be smooth as glass for them.

It's not going to happen.

Mud Packer
07-19-2018, 02:14 PM
NFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha...……………………………… You folks are so gullible it's not even funny. That wasn't a dirt track you were seeing last night. It was a specially prepped track for NASCRAP and they don't have that during any other race at Eldora. Simply horrible.

tb1545
07-19-2018, 02:15 PM
IMO, Trucks at eldora is a big YES. Xfinity at eldora would be a maybe to a no. And cup would be a strong no.
I would love to see trucks run half dirt, half asphalt and run on the smaller asphalt tracks and become a grassroots series. Xfinity should maybe have 1 dirt race and focus on small to intermediate tracks to be the stepping stone. and cup should stay close to the same, maybe with less 1.5 miles.
Also pit stops, I dont believe pit stops should really come into play at all for trucks. It only favors big money and cup teams so that aspect of racing at eldora i like. Xfinity might be able to get by with the same pit stops at eldora and not hurt the product, but Cup in my opinion pit stops and different pit strategy has and should have too big of an effect on a race to pit like they do at eldora. Therefore an actual pit road would have to be built and IMO that would only hurt eldora in the long run.

waaac77
07-19-2018, 02:45 PM
Anyone remember the prelude to the dream? I seem to remember it looking more like an enduro race. Pretty sure everyone just kept spinning out all the time. Was cool to see those cars as late models but that was about it.

Loud Pedal
07-19-2018, 03:06 PM
I say get rid of the windshields and let them put a partial deck in the trucks then prep the track like a normal dirt race. The reason they keep it smooth and slick is so the windshields dont get covered so bad. The racing would be a lot better.

Shiny Side Up 18
07-19-2018, 03:06 PM
Run Cup at Charlotte or Mansfield. Mansfield still has the amenities required for NASCAR racing.

MI Dirt Fan
07-19-2018, 03:10 PM
I say get rid of the windshields and let them put a partial deck in the trucks then prep the track like a normal dirt race. The reason they keep it smooth and slick is so the windshields dont get covered so bad. The racing would be a lot better.

Nice to see someone else finally suggesting that.

CageFaraday
07-19-2018, 03:35 PM
So what kind of race cars would they be driving for these dirt races? Borrowing dirt LM's and setups would not make it very equal. Modifying Cup Cars for one race on dirt? The track would have to be smooth as glass for them.

It's not going to happen.

ARCA still does it... I actually enjoy those races.

dalemcfan
07-19-2018, 05:05 PM
If they are gonna put Cup or Xfinity on dirt then do it at The Dirt Track at Charlotte. The grandstands and bathrooms and lighting are cup quality and the concessions ate already priced like cup races.

Stefan2k4
07-19-2018, 06:17 PM
If they are going to have a Cup race on dirt they should have it on a figure 8 track. That way, it can be just like Daytona and Talladega, whoever survives all the crashing wins. ;)

kidrock
07-19-2018, 06:30 PM
It might be interesting BUT don't do it at Eldora.

That's fine but, it would be interesting to see.

b1eagle
07-19-2018, 06:42 PM
That is the best ideal I have heard.They could build a winning dirt car for what it cost to do a weekly rebuild of a cup car.Then run two or three races a year an leave Eldora alone.

fryefan
07-20-2018, 10:16 AM
I would love to see it. I would like to see what these guys could do on a dirt track. Back in the day they used to race on dirt why not now. I believe it will happen. It might be like the all star race and not a points race.

I agree. It would help both NASCAR and dirt racing.

KAOS
07-20-2018, 05:04 PM
They need specific cars, because the Trucks are the literal definition of a Rube Goldberg machine on dirt.

Stefan2k4
07-20-2018, 05:35 PM
Back in the day they used to race on dirt why not now.

Because the cars of today are nothing like the cars were "back in the day" and the sports of both Cup racing and dirttrack racing are nothing like they were "back in the day".

kidrock
07-20-2018, 06:23 PM
Because the cars of today are nothing like the cars were "back in the day" and the sports of both Cup racing and dirttrack racing are nothing like they were "back in the day".

They can build a car for dirt. They have been building cars for certain tracks for years now.
They build cars for Super speedways, Short tracks and road courses so, no reason they can't for dirt track.

Stefan2k4
07-20-2018, 06:42 PM
They can build a car for dirt.
Sure they can. And it'll probably wind up looking a lot like a dirt late model. So, why re-invent the wheel? Cup cars are built to run on 1.5 mile speedways and that's the kind of tracks they race best on. Even on some tracks they race on currently, that aren't the cookie cutter tracks they really aren't well suited for and put on a stinker of a show. One example is this weekends Nascar race at New Hampshire. For them, this 1 mile flat track is kinda like a go kart track and the racing typically $ucks. The best show of the weekend, by far, will be the Whelen Modified race on Saturday, because those cars are better suited for the track. Anyway IMO, big heavy cup cars at Eldora, is not going to be a great show. So why bother? Instead of a cup on dirt show, how about a wedge car race? Now there would be something much more exciting!

Mindwalker
07-20-2018, 07:15 PM
Like I said back when Tony bought it he would turn it into his own Bristol , well, he's getting closer.....

Mindwalker
07-20-2018, 07:18 PM
I agree. It would help both NASCAR and dirt racing.

Dirt racing dont need Nascrap, Nascrap needs dirt racing and they don't care at what cost.

kidrock
07-20-2018, 07:19 PM
Sure they can. And it'll probably wind up looking a lot like a dirt late model. So, why re-invent the wheel? Cup cars are built to run on 1.5 mile speedways and that's the kind of tracks they race best on. Even on some tracks they race on currently, that aren't the cookie cutter tracks they really aren't well suited for and put on a stinker of a show. One example is this weekends Nascar race at New Hampshire. For them, this 1 mile flat track is kinda like a go kart track and the racing typically $ucks. The best show of the weekend, by far, will be the Whelen Modified race on Saturday, because those cars are better suited for the track. Anyway IMO, big heavy cup cars at Eldora, is not going to be a great show. So why bother? Instead of a cup on dirt show, how about a wedge car race? Now there would be something much more exciting!

Do you think they could build a car on a dirt late model chassis that looks like a cup car?

I get what your saying but, one thing for sure none of us really know if the race would be good or bad we just have our opinions but, what I would be more curious about which one would rise to the top.

For me I like the cup cars on high bank half mile or like Richmond raceway.

kidrock
07-20-2018, 07:20 PM
Dirt racing dont need Nascrap, Nascrap needs dirt racing and they don't care at what cost.

They might just need each other to survive.

Mindwalker
07-20-2018, 07:28 PM
They might just need each other to survive.

Just might be the end of them both too.

Mindwalker
07-20-2018, 07:37 PM
Been a dirt fan many yrs longer then i have nascar. Not at all intreated in what goes on in nascrap. Lost a lot of intrest in Eldora with its now going in a nascar direction (trucks, posable cups, the Waltrips) you can have it.... Sad!

Mindwalker
07-20-2018, 07:40 PM
Eldora was the heart and soul of dirt racing... Thanks Tony SMH! What a dam joke now. 👎

Highside Hustler25
07-20-2018, 07:46 PM
Eldora was the heart and soul of dirt racing... Thanks Tony SMH! What a dam joke now. 

Woosah, woosah !!! Don't forget yer pressure points.

Mindwalker
07-20-2018, 07:49 PM
Woosah, woosah !!! Don't forget yer pressure points.

Troll. Hahahahahaha