PDA

View Full Version : Wild night at Fairbury ends with canceling because of bad track condtions

ptown
07-22-2018, 09:24 AM
Watch this heat race and hope things are better for the PDC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7QFIxVClpo&feature=player_embedded

93Nelson
07-22-2018, 09:34 AM
I've raced on a lot worse

ptown
07-22-2018, 09:40 AM
I've raced on a lot worse

In a super late model?

King1
07-22-2018, 10:08 AM
Spatolas wreck looked like an iracing netcode to me lol

TheJet-09
07-22-2018, 11:00 AM
That was a bad one. Looked like an open wheel type wreck...very easy to wind up with a compression fracture in your back.

Hope he's okay (once the adrenaline wore off).

MI Dirt Fan
07-22-2018, 12:06 PM
In a super late model?

Doubt it.

That was some air though he got. When did they end up cancelling the rest of the event? Right after that race?

Crash 4
07-22-2018, 12:19 PM
Doubt it.

That was some air though he got. When did they end up cancelling the rest of the event? Right after that race?

Yes. They had a good shower right when they started qualifying, not really the track crews fault. It took them till almost 8PM to get the track packed in again and till almost 9PM to finish qualifying. All the other classes ran their heats with basically no problems. Not the case with the late models obviously. It was already late and they would have to have done some serious track work to safely run the late models again.

reid boys
07-22-2018, 12:20 PM
I'm late to the party, crash answered it. Lol

turnleftandgasit
07-22-2018, 12:24 PM
Track wasn't terribile, as every other class had put on pretty good heat races. The combination of the hole going into 3 and the tall wet heavy cushion at both ends just wasn't good for the lates. They got two periods of rain between 5 and 7 that delayed the action and made the track very heavy. Yes they cancelled the races after the first LM heat.

HoosierDirtFan
07-22-2018, 12:37 PM
After reading many of the comments posted on Facebook. Seem like every driver there understands and supports their decision to postpone the rest of the evenings events. Not worth tearing equipment up when you got the biggest race of the year only a 6 days away.

rickybrown1952
07-22-2018, 12:37 PM
It's a miracle no one got hurt bad

smoothoperator32
07-22-2018, 01:05 PM
looked like only 50 people in the grandstands also.

kidrock
07-22-2018, 01:10 PM
Wasn't that the front stretch you saw. The back stretch is usually full but, maybe the weather had something to do with it but, I heard their attendance has been down this year for regular weekly show's. I'm sure someone on here can answer if that's the case or not.

t4g2
07-22-2018, 01:14 PM
On a regular night race the back stretch is half full if that. With new guy in charge an promoter an new track prep its hurt car count and attendance.yes summer nationals an pdc they are full.

turnleftandgasit
07-22-2018, 01:15 PM
Attendance was down last night. With 2 periods of rain it kept many people at home. Why anyone would sit on the front stretch is beyond me.

t4g2
07-22-2018, 01:18 PM
The ones that sit on front stretch don't want to deal with all the drunks on the back stretch. An their the original fals faithfuls. An they refuse to change

turnleftandgasit
07-22-2018, 01:25 PM
I started on the front stretch in 1975. If the front stretch was my only seating choice now, I would quit attending. As a non drinker, you can find plenty of sections that are calm on the back stretch on a regular night.

kidrock
07-22-2018, 01:26 PM
The ones that sit on front stretch don't want to deal with all the drunks on the back stretch. An their the original fals faithfuls. An they refuse to change

Nothing against people drinking and having a good time but, I myself would rather sit on the front Stretch.

t4g2
07-22-2018, 01:42 PM
I sit on front stretch on regular nights an I sit on back stretch on specials like pdc.

dirtyboy
07-22-2018, 02:56 PM
Kinda nice having that roof over your head when it starts raining

ptown
07-22-2018, 06:00 PM

I have never sat on the front stretch and there isn’t that many drunks on the back stretch.

Illtsate32
07-22-2018, 06:13 PM
This will be unpopular speech with all the sheep but...im not saying the track wasnt in bad shape but these guys run these coil bind setups slamming down on the rf, sorry guys you aint gna have a perfect smooth as glass track all the time...maybe have a more universal setup for different track conditions...

MI Dirt Fan
07-22-2018, 06:35 PM
From a financial standpoint though was it worth it to put in all the extra time to race? Sounded like the fan count wasn't great either. Obviously if you schedule it they will come from a drivers view but its up to the fans to show up also.

turnleftandgasit
07-22-2018, 06:42 PM
The last time I sat in the Grandstands, I would guess that Joe Williams or Dave Feese won. Weather and people saving $$ the week before the PDC is my assumption of the low turnout fan wise.

ptown
07-22-2018, 06:45 PM
The last time I sat in the Grandstands, I would guess that Joe Williams or Dave Feese won. Weather and people saving $$ the week before the PDC is my assumption of the low turnout fan wise.

Car counts and fan counts have been down all year, a few weeks they had less than 10 modifieds.

GEAR_HEAD
07-22-2018, 07:39 PM
This will be unpopular speech with all the sheep but...im not saying the track wasnt in bad shape but these guys run these coil bind setups slamming down on the rf, sorry guys you aint gna have a perfect smooth as glass track all the time...maybe have a more universal setup for different track conditions...

That goes back to the sanctioning bodies getting these racecar bodies back under control. Get the bodies back up off the ground and it will slow them down, reduce expenses, and make the racing better.

kidrock
07-22-2018, 07:50 PM
That goes back to the sanctioning bodies getting these racecar bodies back under control. Get the bodies back up off the ground and it will slow them down, reduce expenses, and make the racing better.

I know of another form of racing having the same problem.

t4g2
07-22-2018, 08:51 PM
Late model count has been down to a month or so they had 12 late models. I've been 5 times to fairbury an attendance has been way down all year.

CRK
07-22-2018, 09:29 PM
Their shows run way too long. I quit going to regular shows and only attend the big shows now. Should be interesting to see how things go this week after that mess the other night.

93Nelson
07-22-2018, 11:43 PM
In a super late model?

No, I haven't. I know it's a different ball game then what I run but I'd take that track over some ive been on.

Shiny Side Up 18
07-23-2018, 12:51 AM
Late model count has been down to a month or so they had 12 late models. I've been 5 times to fairbury an attendance has been way down all year.I think Peoria and Fairbury need to stop running against each other. Peoria had 17 late models.

dualdj1
07-23-2018, 10:46 AM
I think Peoria and Fairbury need to stop running against each other. Peoria had 17 late models.

Which one is going to change though? Both have run Saturdays forever.

As far as the track, the issue was the track was getting worse as the night went. After the first rain, they used the sheeps foot to help pack the track back in, which left holes all over. the second rain filled those holes and drove water into the track. It started ok, but with low temp and high humidity the track simply didn't dry, and kept getting softer as the night went on, to where it was truly dangerous to race on. The ambulance was sinking in when it went out for the late model wrecks. Had they just wheel packed, it probably would've been fine, we've had more rain at times and still been able to race. It was an honest mistake by the track crew trying to do whatever they could to get the show in. They had over 100 cars in the pits, including 20 lates and 32 modifieds. So understand them wanting to try and get the show in. Kudos for their effort, as well as realizing it was too dangerous to continue, time to move on to PDC.

Dirt55
07-23-2018, 11:36 AM
Since there was not a lot of fans sat night,maybe FALS would be willing to honor those wrist bands for Friday,I'm sure that would make 50 people in the stands happy👍🏻

dirty-white-boy
07-23-2018, 12:39 PM
maybe the problem was not the track it was the cars. U know, the cars that are on the verge of rolling over every lap? yea those cars.

Back in my day racers used to just strap in a car and race.

CageFaraday
07-23-2018, 01:01 PM
You nailed it, I was gonna point that out, but I held back because of the responses.

Exactly. Fix the bodies, unhook the cars and then racing can get healthy again.

I know of another form of racing having the same problem.
Oh yeah, the class we won't name.

maybe the problem was not the track it was the cars. U know, the cars that are on the verge of rolling over every lap? yea those cars.

Back in my day racers used to just strap in a car and race.
Point well taken, when they're already running 45% turned over anyway it don't take much to go past 50% and then your along for the ride. Destroying the car and probably getting a concussion from your head ping-ponging around in that full containment seat they made you buy... DLM is all FUBAR'D at the moment.

Shiny Side Up 18
07-23-2018, 01:06 PM
Which one is going to change though? Both have run Saturdays forever.I would personally like to see Peoria and Lincoln run supers on alternating Sundays. The weeks they don't run supers, they can run their regular show on their regular nights.

WisWildManFan
07-23-2018, 02:34 PM
Since there was not a lot of fans sat night,maybe FALS would be willing to honor those wrist bands for Friday,I'm sure that would make 50 people in the stands happyLol wrg is never going to do anything like that

Clayton_Wetter
07-23-2018, 08:30 PM

Yes, the cars are not even meant for dirt in many ways. That's why tracks are hard and slick, and pieces of crap these days. Drivers not adjusting their cars to the tracks. They want the tracks adjusted to their cars instead.

skids
07-24-2018, 08:13 AM
Lol wrg is never going to do anything like that

FALS is honoring wrisbands for face value from previously canceled shows. WRG has nothing to do with it.

getinit
07-24-2018, 08:22 AM
FALS is honoring wrisbands for face value from previously canceled shows. WRG has nothing to do with it.

How dare you bring facts to this forum, especially when it goes against what the experts on here say!

WisWildManFan
07-24-2018, 08:43 AM
FALS is honoring wrisbands for face value from previously canceled shows. WRG has nothing to do with it.Thought you meant they would get in free Friday, you're saying they have to pay the difference in $ value?

getinit
07-24-2018, 08:59 AM
Thought you meant they would get in free Friday, you're saying they have to pay the difference in $ value?

Sounds like the track is doing the right thing. Kudos to them, alot of tracks wouldn't want to deal with it on an already hectic race weekend.

turnleftandgasit
07-24-2018, 12:59 PM
Just another reason FALS is number 1 in my book.

Crash 4
07-24-2018, 03:51 PM

The last time I sat in the Grandstands, I would guess that Lynn Wilson or Bobby Shell won the feature, since we're getting all retro. LOL. Weather had a lot to do with it, we drove in rain all the way there, not smart enough to turn around.

Crash 4
07-24-2018, 04:07 PM
Their shows run way too long.

Bingo.

We've left before the features several times this year, yet we continue to come back for more. I've seen many others that I would consider regulars get disgusted and leave early also. Younger couples with kids, and older folks too, and many of them have not been back. They've been told by many to speed up the program, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. I understand that specials are different, and can run long, but a regular Saturday night show shouldn't drag on till midnight or later.

ptown
07-24-2018, 04:22 PM
Bingo.

We've left before the features several times this year, yet we continue to come back for more. I've seen many others that I would consider regulars get disgusted and leave early also. Younger couples with kids, and older folks too, and many of them have not been back. They've been told by many to speed up the program, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. I understand that specials are different, and can run long, but a regular Saturday night show shouldn't drag on till midnight or later.

Especially when only 8 modifieds and 12 late models are running. The self proclaimed America’s track isn’t as perfect as most homers would lead you to believe.

dirtyboy
07-24-2018, 08:26 PM
ptown - why are you so negative all the time?

ptown
07-24-2018, 08:40 PM
ptown - why are you so negative all the time?

Sometimes the truth hurts.....Sorry and feel free to skip my posts.

#FALSuperman
07-24-2018, 09:17 PM
Ptown if you're going to Cherry pick one night of low car counts, then you should also add that last Saturday night there were 43 mods at FALS. When 2 Lucas drivers list Fairbury as their favorite track (WOO/UMP/MARS track), you must be doing something right.

kidrock
07-24-2018, 09:28 PM
Ptown if you're going to Cherry pick one night of low car counts, then you should also add that last Saturday night there were 43 mods at FALS. When 2 Lucas drivers list Fairbury as their favorite track (WOO/UMP/MARS track), you must be doing something right.

Superman have the car counts been down at Fals? There are quite a few tracks with lower car counts this year but, that has been the trend for a few years now.

#FALSuperman
07-24-2018, 09:33 PM
Superman have the car counts been down at Fals? There are quite a few tracks with lower car counts this year but, that has been the trend for a few years now.Super Late Models yes (I believe there were 16 Saturday night), Mods have actually been up. The crowds have not been bad with the exception of a few and weather also played a part. Anyway, the late model count is down everywhere.