PDA

View Full Version : Limited Late Models losing tracks & To heat race or not to heat race?

Returning to Dirt
07-23-2018, 07:54 PM
https://insidedirtracing.com/turn-2-blog-limited-late-models-losing-tracks-to-heat-race-or-not-to-heat-race/

Should there be heat races when there are not enough cars to make up a full field?

And, some tracks have taken Limited Late Models off their schedules.

mcarter815
07-23-2018, 09:25 PM
Just because every car will make the feature doesn't mean the heat races aren't useful for setting the running order.

Krooser
07-24-2018, 07:43 AM
Of course you run heats...

During my last foray into promoting I was lucky to get ten cars in each of two classes. Each car ran two heats, a trophy dash and the main PLUS one or two novelty races... I paid in every event. Guys shouldn't run for free...

RayCook53fan
07-24-2018, 08:31 AM
I feel like limited late models are quickly becoming a thing of the past here in North GA/East Tenn. Like the article says, rules are too liberal, and you end up with nearly as much money in a limited engine as you do with a decent aluminum, and racing for less money. I see the steelhead/limited class in this area either becoming a 525 crate class, or disappearing completely. The track I work at only had 10 cars show up for $1,500 to win limited show a few weeks back.

CageFaraday
07-24-2018, 09:53 AM
I feel like limited late models are quickly becoming a thing of the past here in North GA/East Tenn. Like the article says, rules are too liberal, and you end up with nearly as much money in a limited engine as you do with a decent aluminum, and racing for less money. I see the steelhead/limited class in this area either becoming a 525 crate class, or disappearing completely. The track I work at only had 10 cars show up for $1,500 to win limited show a few weeks back.

I wouldn't label limited late model as a thing of the past like its out of date, but a combination of rule creep and crate cannibalizing has raped the class for sure. For years limited has become less and less limited to appease the haves who were able to spend more, this opened the door for the red headed step child(crate) to raid the refrigerator and left limited with table scraps. To me it'd make more sense to use something like the SUPR/ASCS head as a standard with a max lift cam, flat tops and wet sump only. I'm not sure what a decent aluminum super is to you, but the high end is up over $40K these days, so decent to me would still be prolly in the $30K range and the best limited I've seen is in the mid $20K range. Late model in general has so many issues these days I'm not optimistic that'll get fixed in time to save limited, which is a shame since crate anything in my view is just communistic racing and I'm strictly a free market guy. Maybe a multi tier Limited Late Format is the answer:

1. Steel block-Alum head built engines #2500(LS allowed with Distributor)
2. CT525 allowed w/#100 in front of motor plate #2500
3. GM604 allowed no minimum weight.
4. GM602 allowed no minimum weight and can run alcohol, any header, any carb spacer.

Cardirt0
07-24-2018, 10:14 AM
Will it has come down to Too meany classes and not enough drivers..