PDA

View Full Version : Ign issues

tornadochaser7
08-01-2018, 11:10 AM
Just wondering what everyone thinks.
Raced for first time this season on Saturday. Heat race, car popped and banged, pulled in and found the cap/rotor at some corrosion so replaced that.
Went out for feature, it popped a couple times and then just shut off. Coasted to the back stretch, cranked for a bit and it fired up. Got to my pit stall and was revving engine about 2000-2500 and it shut off again. Next morning, car fired right up.
It's a 604 crate, msd 6al box, hvc coil, msd distributor. New plug wires and spark plugs also.
I checked all the wiring and everything is tight and good condition it appears.
What's everyone's thoughts?
Thanks!

JustAddDirt
08-01-2018, 11:17 AM
ignition switch
or
ground

CCHIEF
08-01-2018, 11:40 PM
Look for the problem when you have the no start condition, verify no spark at the coil. Every good electrical diagnosis begins with verifying the correct source power voltage and integrity of connections AT the battery.. Check voltage @ battery, and at ignition box/solenoid, a low charge on a battery will sometimes start the car but really mess with the MSD box. Ignition switch, just replace it with a good one, like a Cole Hersee Heavy Duty... with a weather/water boot.

hpontap
08-02-2018, 05:47 AM
Like the other guys have said, check all connections, switches and battery connections. Take them apart, pull on the wires/connectors and clean them all.
I have seen faulty tachometers, batteries, MSD boxes, bad grounds, faulty ignition switch, bad connections at the distributor all cause it. First thing I do now to check is unplug the tach then check everything else if it still does it.
Sounds electrical an there is not much else more aggravating.

Krooser
08-03-2018, 09:09 PM
Roger on the good quality switch... lots of guys have trouble with the Chinesium switches.