PDA

View Full Version : Purely Bench Racing. (race format that would never happen but fun to talk about)

dch191
08-13-2018, 03:12 PM
As a motocross fan at heart and with the Motocross of Nations coming up in a few months, it got me thinking about how cool it would be if you could take that format and twist it a bit to make it work for Late Model racing.

I won't bore you with how its done in Motocross, but heres how it would work for dirt car racing.

Each state gets 3 drivers to represent their state and each driver gets assigned to group 1, 2, or 3

Each group will qualify then line up in a heat race based on their time.

After all heats are finished, you take the finishes of all drivers representing each state and add them together. You use golf scoring so the fewer points the better you are.

The top 14 teams get to race in 3 main events to determine which state is the best.

Each driver will run 2 main events.

You line up each main event based on your qualifying heat results. The top qualifying team will start each feature with a driver starting P1 and P15, second place team P2 and P16, third place team P3 and P17, etc.

After all main events are complete, add each drivers finishes and drop the teams worst finish, and again the lowest score is your winner.

As stated in the title I know this race would never work out for a number of reasons, but that doesn't mean it can't make for some fun bench racing and break up the some of the normal BS that gets talked into the ground so often. So lets here it. Which state do you think would be the favorite? What would some of the teams look like? Maybe who would be some dark horse picks?

Dlmfan123
08-13-2018, 03:41 PM
Illinois/Tennessee would be the top picks for me... Illinois- Brandon Sheppard, bobby peirce, Shannon babb. Tennessee- bloomquist, Owens, marlar.

dch191
08-13-2018, 03:54 PM
Georgia would be a contender as well I think with Clanton Davenport and McDowell although I’m not 100% sure if he’s in Tennessee or Georgia now.

Dlmfan123
08-13-2018, 04:19 PM
If I was going Georgia I would take overton over clanton

MI Dirt Fan
08-13-2018, 04:29 PM
If I was going Georgia I would take overton over clanton

I would have to agree with that

brsteg
08-13-2018, 04:31 PM
Screw that stuff... here's a real format for a big race and some alternates.

Twin passing point heat races Friday night, sets 6 traditional heat races Saturday night heads up.

Or just an add on to what is done today with passing points, assume top 16 locked in and run a pole shuffle like how the midgets do for Chili Bowl but with a twist.

9-16 in passing points (8 cars) run 8 lap dash, top 4 transfer to next dash. Cars 5-8 in points enter the track and start ahead of transferies. Top 4 transfer to the pole dash where cars 1-4 enter the track and have an 8 lap dash for pole.
When you finish in the pole shuffle dashes is where you start the main. Would add a nice main event 1 real winner type event to a night where it's just heats, otherwise. (which are almost always very entertaining though.)

Or do a USAC type of format, pay points to qualify, invert 6 or 8. Line up B Main heads up on qualifying times. If 3 or 4 transfer top 2 get their times back, if 2 transfer only 1 gets their time back for the A Main. B Main transfers can start no better than 1st spot outside the A Main invert. A Main lined up based on Q times with invert of 6 or so.
Pays points so regulars still have to take qualifying seriously, inverts give little guy better chance of making main, doesn't overly penalize fast guy that misses transfer in heat race as B is lined up on times, and you get time back for A if you finish high in the B, just outside of the event where you probably would have been within a couple spots of anyway. Pay points in the heat races so racing for already transfer positions in the heat still matters to the regulars. Makes guys have to race.