PDA

View Full Version : Tire harmonics

ZERO25
08-15-2018, 07:47 PM
I recently read where an engineer stated that front tires generates bad harmonics when the front tires become nearly equal in size, during weight transfer at mid corner. That is why he believes a minimum of 1 5/8 stagger is necessary for dlms. Any thoughts or opinions?

billetbirdcage
08-15-2018, 08:23 PM
I recently read where an engineer stated that front tires generates bad harmonics when the front tires become nearly equal in size, during weight transfer at mid corner. That is why he believes a minimum of 1 5/8 stagger is necessary for dlms. Any thoughts or opinions?

Hard for me to believe, when Hoosier doesn't even have the data to give you the hertz frequency or spring rates on the tires for dirt. Now asphalt, that is a whole other story.

I also don't see a relation between stagger on independent axle and what hertz it resonates at? On the back on a solid axle, I could see it effecting it but on the front.....

But then again, I'm a redneck and pretty dumb at times...

hucktyson
08-16-2018, 06:35 AM
Lol lol lol lol . That’s all that needs to be said

95shaw
08-16-2018, 02:30 PM

If harmonics were a problem, simply change the air pressures to change the frequency of the harmonic.

The idea would be to match lowest harmonic with the area of the track most total traction is called for.

Matching all factors would be best, but everything is a compromise.

ZERO25
08-16-2018, 08:06 PM
If harmonics were a problem, simply change the air pressures to change the frequency of the harmonic.

The idea would be to match lowest harmonic with the area of the track most total traction is called for.

Matching all factors would be best, but everything is a compromise.

Please splain a lil more, for us other dumb rednecks! lol