PDA

View Full Version : What is supposed to be so great about the HILLBILLY 100 this weekend?

2thextreme
08-31-2018, 06:20 AM
I realize it is paying $50,000 to win but I heard the track facilities are horrible and it is so dusty there, you can't see. I know it is the richest one day payday in Dirt Late Model but the seating, from what I hear is terrible.I am off Sunday and could make the drive. I need someone to convince me how it is such a great race... Thank you!

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-31-2018, 06:55 AM
I realize it is paying $50,000 to win but I heard the track facilities are horrible and it is so dusty there, you can't see. I know it is the richest one day payday in Dirt Late Model but the seating, from what I hear is terrible.I am off Sunday and could make the drive. I need someone to convince me how it is such a great race... Thank you!

It is a very racy track. That is all you need. The fact it is a elbows up bullring is icing on the cake.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-31-2018, 06:57 AM
If you are worried about cellphone service or a cushy seat, stay home.

Pennsboro23
08-31-2018, 07:16 AM
If you're worried about getting dirty, stay home. Us die hards go to see side by side, high speed racing.

chupp n bloomer fan
08-31-2018, 07:27 AM
I realize it is paying $50,000 to win but I heard the track facilities are horrible and it is so dusty there, you can't see. I know it is the richest one day payday in Dirt Late Model but the seating, from what I hear is terrible.I am off Sunday and could make the drive. I need someone to convince me how it is such a great race... Thank you!I’ve never been there. Always heard the racing is good, it looks good, but facilities are not very good. They didn’t help with your decision either:). If you want nice facilities also, I wouldn’t go. But if you can deal with it, and watch good racing, go. Midway reminds me of what I picture Tyler to be.

Pennsboro23
08-31-2018, 07:31 AM
Tyler Co, is a good bit better than Midway. The Watsons have upgraded the place the past couple seasons. New lighting, they also added a new picnic shelter with a flat screen so you can also watch college football this weekend if you're there. I believe they brought in some more seating for this weekend as well.

Josh Bayko
08-31-2018, 07:42 AM
Tyler is possibly the raciest track in the country. If you like great racing, bring goggles and a bandana and go.

chupp n bloomer fan
08-31-2018, 07:53 AM
Tyler Co, is a good bit better than Midway. The Watsons have upgraded the place the past couple seasons. New lighting, they also added a new picnic shelter with a flat screen so you can also watch college football this weekend if you're there. I believe they brought in some more seating for this weekend as well.Good to hear Boro. I need to make the journey one of these days. Was never because of facilities, just haven’t went. Guess one question I do have, any reserved seating?

GEAR_HEAD
08-31-2018, 07:56 AM

You should only judge dirt tracks by the quality of the racing. Our group loves the dust because the dustier the track is the better the racing is. It has always been that way.

zyoung25
08-31-2018, 08:00 AM
The race track and facilities, look like they fell out of the 70s. The racing is second to none though. I would go back of things worked out to where I could go again. I went in 2008 when it paid 40k to win.

Pennsboro23
08-31-2018, 08:39 AM
Yes they have reserved seating for the Hillbilly, CNB.

amusall
08-31-2018, 08:57 AM
The First Jackpot 100 might have been one of the best times I've ever had at the track. A concert where you can bring your own full size cooler, party in the pits till who knows when in the morning....... Race day it was over 95 degrees but we sat in our lawn chairs in the creek with a radio and some cold ones all day long. The people there, whether locals or out of towners were great. Oh yeah, the racing was pretty darn good too. Haven't been to the Hillbilly yet but looking forward to it someday.

Barbecueboy
08-31-2018, 12:28 PM
Tyler is possibly the raciest track in the country. If you like great racing, bring goggles and a bandana and go.

Haven't ever been to Tyler, it's on the list.....

Bout the raciest track I've been to with consistency is Screven......can't recall ever seeing a snoozer there, ever.

dirt crow
08-31-2018, 12:34 PM
Dust, no problem. But if it’s so dusty you can’t see the action, problem. I’m not talking bout Tyler. I’m talking anywhere.

chupp n bloomer fan
08-31-2018, 12:54 PM
Yes they have reserved seating for the Hillbilly, CNB.Definitely on my list then Boro.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-31-2018, 02:02 PM
Haven't ever been to Tyler, it's on the list.....

Bout the raciest track I've been to with consistency is Screven......can't recall ever seeing a snoozer there, ever.

Screven has the finest racing in Georgia and maybe the whole SE. I think Tyler is better. IMO I promise you Screven has better food!

Pennsboro23
08-31-2018, 02:06 PM
Screven has the finest racing in Georgia and maybe the whole SE. I think Tyler is better. IMO I promise you Screven has better food!

I can't argue with you on the food, but have you ever had Tyler Co's feesh sammich?

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-31-2018, 02:09 PM
I can't argue with you on the food, but have you ever had Tyler Co's feesh sammich?

I have not.

Clayton_Wetter
08-31-2018, 03:01 PM
Good racing= Yes

Too much dust = no, not good

Can't the dust dealt with?

Some people actually can't handle too much dust.

Being able to breath and see the cars should matter, but who am I to question the loyalists??? :)

Highside Hustler25
08-31-2018, 06:03 PM
We've got a track like Tyler here in the Midwest. Macon Speedway. It's only around 70 years old and the grandstands look like they were built in the 40's. Even though it's a dump, I've NEVER heard anyone complain about that place. Good racing can overcome the negatives sometimes.

Josh Bayko
08-31-2018, 06:29 PM
Good racing= Yes

Being able to breath and see the cars should matter, but who am I to question the loyalists??? :)

I’m not sure the dust can be dealt with. They place can have tack in it all night and still dust up. It’s very similar to the way the old Flemington Speedway used to be super dusty even if it was pull your shoes off tacky with a big fat cushion.

Clayton_Wetter
08-31-2018, 06:31 PM
Wow, the clay must be unique.

GEAR_HEAD
08-31-2018, 06:34 PM
Wow, the clay must be unique.

They get water from the creek behind the track that has a lot of silt in it. The silt is put on the track with the water and makes it a "dirty" racetrack. It's not dusty like some tracks, it's more of a wet dirt that rains on you.

Clayton_Wetter
08-31-2018, 06:35 PM
I see, it's that water.

edavis71
08-31-2018, 07:11 PM
Awesome racing for sure but dustbowl, WOW!!

dirt crow
08-31-2018, 08:17 PM
i see, it's that water.

lolololololololol

Krooser
08-31-2018, 09:21 PM
Several ways to deal with dust... today's promoters evidently have never heard of calcium chloride. It's used across the world to hold the moisture in the track. It's used on construction sites and roadbuilding projects to keep the dust down. Cheap and easy to find at any feed store.

I've also used a couple other chemicals in the past. Bought one in the late 80's from some outfit in Chicago...$900.00 for a 55 gallon drum. Used one gallon in a 2000 gallon water tank. Virtually eliminated the dust...

Spanky44
08-31-2018, 09:27 PM
Several ways to deal with dust... today's promoters evidently have never heard of calcium chloride. It's used across the world to hold the moisture in the track. It's used on construction sites and roadbuilding projects to keep the dust down. Cheap and easy to find at any feed store.

I've also used a couple other chemicals in the past. Bought one in the late 80's from some outfit in Chicago...$900.00 for a 55 gallon drum. Used one gallon in a 2000 gallon water tank. Virtually eliminated the dust...

Our local track got busted by the epa for using that stuff!

jlacey
08-31-2018, 09:30 PM
Screven has been my favorite track since i made my 1st Volusia trip and decided to stop there on the way. As far as the Hillbilly 100 i haven't been since that and the DTWC was held at Pennsboro. Wasnt the best racing there but i miss that place and always looked forward to going each year.

t3r3e3
09-01-2018, 01:06 AM
Good racing= Yes

I always wondered if the dust had something to do with where the water intake point is on Middle Island Creek? I assume that’s where the track is pulling their water from.

Krooser
09-01-2018, 02:33 AM
Our local track got busted by the epa for using that stuff!
Millions of gallons of calcium are used every year in America... On roads and driveways. It's legal. You county hwy. dept. likely uses it. Nothing in it is dangerous...it's used for deicing roads.

dirtcrazy4u
09-01-2018, 06:53 AM
Screven !!! I will say if your there by 10pm you'll probably be in time for the FIRST heat race. Track has some of the best clay on it I've seen in years. After the high intensity lights come on. You can't see across the track because you get blinded by the lights. As for the food, I to have heard how great it was. Burger fries and a sweet tea. Cold food, all of it, I asked for some warm food which got me nowhere. Winter freeze with the midgets, they had them run on a track that you could not watch them. Unless you wanted to get blasted by rocks. Yep. Great clay, facilities a real dump. O I forgot, no lights in the restrooms, so if you ventured in there you were a brave sole. Ladies side also. I can't wait.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-01-2018, 02:58 PM
Millions of gallons of calcium are used every year in America... On roads and driveways. It's legal. You county hwy. dept. likely uses it. Nothing in it is dangerous...it's used for deicing roads.He’s referring to the second part of your comment Krooser. VP Fuels has one out or did. Atomic used one when Nier had it for the DTWC, not sure which one. Seemed to work well. Different stuff has been used for ages. Oil well water, calcium chloride, soap/detergent water, who knows what else. I’d put stuff on it if I owned one, as long as it had a clear SDS sheet with no side effects.