PDA

View Full Version : Scott James wins at Beaver D@m

MI Dirt Fan
09-01-2018, 12:00 AM
The race had originally been scheduled to pay $10,047 BUT a last minute sponsor kicked it to $15k.

Zonks32x
09-01-2018, 01:09 AM
Nice last minute gift indeed.

That finishing order is incorrect.

Tim Buhler should be scored in 24th. He was the first car to pull off on lap 2.

Heckenast Jr. was running 3rd when the caution came out for Drake (spun on backstretch) on lap 38. 14 or 15 cars on the track at that point in the race.

Heckenast Jr. pulled off with a flat during that caution. Made it back out in time, should've been scored last car on the lead lap (7th) at that point. Finished 5th. Unless they dq'd him for some reason??? No word of that in the pits.

Side note: Bob Cullen has purchased Frankie Jr.'s yellow hauler. Expect to see Squirrel's 3s machine in its new digs after the World. Speaking of Shirley...he lost a motor in his heat race. So did Swedeberg.

James was the class of the field tonight. His family/crew was seated next to us in the pit bleachers. They were not thrilled about that late caution, but the Silver Shark had it covered.

Cade Dillard was definitely the second best car on the track tonight. Shocked to see a Louisiana driver at Beaver Dam, WI....but he does wheel an MB Custom and was at Mars's shop the other day.

Best battle on the track was watching Dillard, Siefert, and Heckenast Jr. get after it behind James.

Mars started 13th and worked his way forward. Schlieper started 8th and worked his way backwards before pulling off early. Brent Larson gained the most spots, started 21st and finished 7th or 8th I believe.

Great race other than Letizia pinballing his car off the backstretch wall in front of the field. Fortunately, only one other car was collected and nobody was hurt.

Kudos to the Mods and Grand Nationals too. Decent racing all night long.

A-main lineup posted on pitboard with a note in chalk beside it alerting drivers a friend of the Scheffler family had donated another 5k to the winner.

$15,074 for 40 laps...not too shabby.
74 in honor of Russ Scheffler.
This was the 9th annual event in memory of George.
First year paid $2k to win with $1000 added to win each year.

Not sure how many unsanctioned DLM features are left out there, but tonight's race at Beaver Dam had to be one of the better paying events in that category.

And thank you Beaver Dam raceway for hosting late models for the first time in 9 years and for keeping it affordable...pit pass for $25.

Krooser
09-01-2018, 02:24 AM
I had to miss the show but I'm glad it was good. George was a friend and a great racer as was Russ. And BD, at least the old 1/4 mile, was one of my favorite tracks to race on ...

nuff said
09-01-2018, 07:23 AM
Excellent recap Zonks

jr29
09-01-2018, 08:25 AM
Brent Larson makes people mad a lot.

Switchback29A1
09-01-2018, 09:46 AM
Judging from the video, if Dillard had punted Larson he would have completely deserved it

racecar1127
09-01-2018, 11:08 AM
So what’s Frankie going to be using to haul his race car in then? I thought he just got that hauler a year or so ago.

MI Dirt Fan
09-01-2018, 11:52 AM
Here's a updated one so DoD says. Is it correct?

Zonks32x
09-01-2018, 12:17 PM
Don't see how that rundown is possibly correct?
Siefert was running top 4 all night and Bongiorno sure as hell didn't pass Siefert, Mataragos, and a handful of others on that rundown. Larson got lapped, so not sure how he could've finished 4th???

MI Dirt Fan
09-01-2018, 12:24 PM
Hmm. I dunno. Says they corrected it

petesbuyin
09-01-2018, 02:24 PM
Only ten cars were running at the end. Only five were on the lead lap. And the 74 and 99 got dqed. (both from the lead lap). Larson was the first car a lap down.

Congratulations to Scott James, he had them covered all night.

TS FAN
09-01-2018, 03:07 PM
Really happy for the Shark. At first I was wondering why he was racing so far from home. Then I remembered, at least I think I remembered, he won a big race that this track before. Maybe this one.

zyoung25
09-01-2018, 03:23 PM
I think the Dolhun guys he drives for are from that area.

TS FAN
09-01-2018, 04:07 PM
I think you are correct

WisWildManFan
09-02-2018, 07:32 AM
How did track race? Always liked the place other than you can't tent camp up there. Who's car was wildman in?

LynnAL57
09-02-2018, 08:30 PM
Where can I find the correct finishing order for the A main for the Late Models?

waaac77
09-02-2018, 11:07 PM
Dirt on Dirt!

HoosierDirtFan
09-02-2018, 11:31 PM
How did track race? Always liked the place other than you can't tent camp up there. Who's car was wildman in?

Judging from pictures on his Facebook Dan was either driver for the Scheffler family or either Turk or Jim Letiza's car

Also: James drives for Dolhun Family. I believe there from around the Milwaukee, WI area.

NormP
09-03-2018, 01:26 AM
James drives for Dolhun Family. I believe there from around the Milwaukee, WI area.

I think he was asking about Dan Schlieper.

BadgerDirt01
09-03-2018, 10:58 AM
Track was descent, a hole out of two looked to be unsettling the cars quite a bit. The Shark was on a rail. Hope to see more dirt late model shows next year at this track!

MI Dirt Fan
09-03-2018, 11:15 AM
Supposedly they had just got that car back recently from Rocket. Had a bunch of bent stuff on it and a new clip I believe

Hoosier_Dirt
09-03-2018, 03:38 PM
Scott was definitely the class of the field. Congrats to him and team.

widlmfan
09-03-2018, 08:31 PM
Dan Schlieper is in Taylor Scheffler's Wild Inc. car from last season with a WDLMA spec motor in it.

Scott James car owners Ted, TJ, and Jake Dolhun are Milwaukee based, and were also good friends with the Scheffler Family and the Dolhun's also contributed to the event as a sponsor as well. Scott won last years Scheffler Memorial race for $9,000.

Was surprised Dillard did not punt Larson as Larson was trying sliders on Dillard after he lapped Larson. Few others probably felt the same way as Brent was using a few local guys up to get through the corners at times.

drich24
09-04-2018, 12:00 PM
Noticed that Beaver Dam added fencing in the wall in turns 3 and 4 after the Jason Johnson crash.

Zonks32x
09-04-2018, 04:53 PM
?'s
Why were McGrath and Heckenast dq'd after lap one?
Given that...why were they allowed to run all 40 laps and weren't black flagged?
(No speaker on pitside bleachers...so if they said why over the PA system, we couldn't hear the reason)

Answers to ?'s on this thread.
1) Heckenast hauler is a year old, and he's getting a new one.
2) Cullen bought F.H. Jr's current hauler per team source.
3) Dolhun is indeed a former WI DLM driver & owner of #83 car.
Last time I saw him race, he took a nasty ride (@ Oshkosh) after another car caught a rut and tagged him.
4) Schlieper did drive Taylor Scheffler's old Wild car. Spec motor...I believe,...car found the turn 4 wall a couple times b/c Dan was pushing that car as hard as he could.

5) Race video is on youtube. Shows a glimpse of what those at the track witnessed & why more than one driver was NOT happy with the driver of a particular back and yellow b1 car.

And finally....YES, I hope BD brings late models back again without a 9 year drought. Be a perfect SN venue...imho.

widlmfan
09-05-2018, 10:13 PM
I was told Heckenast failed to scale after the feature as he wasn't sure he was in top 5. Mitch pulled off in the turn 2 entrance as soon as the checkered flag flew due to the motor shutting down they said. Mitch was pushed to scale and was scaled. But was dq'ed due to leaving the track in Turn 2. Was told by Mitch's wife on that one.

03fan
09-06-2018, 07:15 AM
Hope they have late models back again next year for sure. Track was awesome for the heats but got pretty rough after the small tire cars ran their heats and features. I know for sure the 7b, 20, and 98 pulled off to save their equipment because of the conditions.

With 3-6+ inches of rain last week the track held up much better than I had expected. I wish we could run there weekly with late models.