PDA

View Full Version : Durham

sc0tt
09-16-2018, 03:27 PM
Looks like Andy Durham has some motors to fix! This is not normal since he went on his own! Probably has too many running his stuff!

Dlmfan123
09-16-2018, 03:51 PM
Sh!ts gonna break! Doesn’t matter what it is stuff just happens sometimes

Hoosier_Dirt
09-16-2018, 03:52 PM
Knoxville is hard on motors period!

bleedblue55
09-16-2018, 04:46 PM
Looks like Andy Durham has some motors to fix! This is not normal since he went on his own! Probably has too many running his stuff!
I hope your first 38 posts weren't as clueless as this one.

dirtMAN007
09-16-2018, 05:05 PM
I hope your first 38 posts weren't as clueless as this one.

The motor is only as good as the parts you put in it !

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-16-2018, 05:09 PM
The motor is only as good as the parts you put in it !

If it comes from a top notch builder, every piece is top notch.

MI Dirt Fan
09-16-2018, 05:54 PM
Is his shop affected by the storm at all?

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
09-16-2018, 06:10 PM
Is his shop affected by the storm at all?

He should prolly get heavy rain & wind

Clayton_Wetter
09-16-2018, 06:28 PM
He should prolly get heavy rain & wind

Ya think?????? :)

Mudweiser
09-16-2018, 06:34 PM

Is it normal to have Durham engines in 5 of the top 6 finishers??

MI Dirt Fan
09-16-2018, 06:56 PM
Ya think?????? :)

Easy bedwetter 😂😂😂

How'd your place hold up S.S?

grt74
09-16-2018, 07:07 PM
i always find it funny when engines get bashed, when carbs running lean, oil system that had nothing to do with the builder, priming it before you start it, over heating it, ect, and all of these things are out of the builders hands

Bubstr
09-16-2018, 07:10 PM
That is right, they all use the same good parts. The differences are clearance tolerances, cooling tricks and who ports the heads. They usually don't have many secrets, that aren't known by other engine builders. I believe most level headed teams, pick a power curve to fit their driver and pay little attention to Dyno HP numbers and more attention to how close they are for fast service.

You can tell more about usable HP, by how much fuel it uses than a Dyno that doesn't necessarily tell the truth. Fuel use don't say how much HP it makes, but says how much of the HP was used by the driver. Some is numbers HP that just buzzes the tires and the usable HP burns fuel doing work. Tip, how much fuel is used while burning efficiently.

If you play, your going to find parts with flaws, no matter who your name is..

formercrewguy
09-16-2018, 09:00 PM
If you play, your going to find parts with flaws, no matter who your name is..

Absolutely right. Case in point.....we had a 430 wide bore Cornett that had a cam dowel pin that sheared off at roughly 8800 rpm once. You can guess the damage from a $5 part. Sh!t happens....

Mod Runner
09-17-2018, 12:54 AM
I count at least 4 of top 6 finishers had Durham engines. That is quite a good testament to the reliability of the Durham engine. Who builds the engines for Shirley ?

Switchback29A1
09-17-2018, 04:53 AM
Andy had a quite a few brand new motors go boom during preseason testing this year as well. Bottom line is the more products you have out there, your chances of problems go up as well. It just seems worse when high profile drivers are the ones having the trouble. But like its been said, im sure theres plenty of them that had 0 to do with engine builder.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-17-2018, 05:41 AM
I count at least 4 of top 6 finishers had Durham engines. That is quite a good testament to the reliability of the Durham engine. Who builds the engines for Shirley ?Was Durham.

dirtMAN007
09-17-2018, 06:28 AM
If it comes from a top notch builder, every piece is top notch.

Sometimes top notch people make mistakes or the manufacturer they choose makes a mistake etc etc etc .

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-17-2018, 08:23 AM
Sometimes top notch people make mistakes or the manufacturer they choose makes a mistake etc etc etc .

Bad parts, especially from top notch suppliers, are quite rare. Much more rare than people try to say they are.

ZERO25
09-17-2018, 11:18 AM
The talk going around Speedweeks, when several AD motors failed, was that a bad batch of pistons had been produced!

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-17-2018, 11:31 AM
The talk going around Speedweeks, when several AD motors failed, was that a bad batch of pistons had been produced!

That is very possible. Several fresh engines had the same failure. When a random guy says he broke a rod, the rod is almost never to blame.

hucktyson
09-17-2018, 03:19 PM
I hear the new duram logo is a handgrenade with the pin pulled ....

MI Dirt Fan
09-17-2018, 03:24 PM
Owens won with his...

chupp n bloomer fan
09-17-2018, 03:26 PM
Owens won with his...Don’t use facts MI

Stefan2k4
09-17-2018, 04:21 PM
The better question is who in the top 6 didn't have a Durham under the hood? Sounds like they're doing pretty good to me. Any engine will blow if you over rev it. They're still running push rod motors in DLM, so that't going to limit their RPM right there. For the team who hurt motors, what kind of RPMs were they turning? How were they geared, and were they spinning the tires? That along with many other factors is going to be a factor in reliability.

MI Dirt Fan
09-17-2018, 04:25 PM
Hard not to sometimes CnB

keith94elliott
09-17-2018, 05:18 PM
Oneal was runnin a cornett or a clements

dirtMAN007
09-17-2018, 08:35 PM
That is very possible. Several fresh engines had the same failure. When a random guy says he broke a rod, the rod is almost never to blame.

More than possible ........it happened !

MI Dirt Fan
09-17-2018, 08:43 PM
Wasn't Overton one of them? Broke like 3 of them.

mcarter815
09-17-2018, 10:18 PM
What I heard was that Durham was being aggressive trying something new and the motors weren’t running hot enough when they broke.

Dlmfan123
09-17-2018, 11:08 PM
Wasn't Overton one of them? Broke like 3 of them.First 2 nights at golden isles both of there Durham motors broke

zyoung25
09-18-2018, 12:36 AM
I count at least 4 of top 6 finishers had Durham engines. That is quite a good testament to the reliability of the Durham engine. Who builds the engines for Shirley ?

Durham with a bowtie

Carrier won at Richmond with one.

Knoxville is going to eat motors regardless of who builds them. It doesn't matter make or model, you can guarantee seeing several guys break motors there, or have some sort of problem. The place is more wide open than anywhere else they run, including Eldora.

TackyTracker
09-18-2018, 01:04 AM
so who will be the next engine builder to tame knox??

chupp n bloomer fan
09-18-2018, 03:49 AM
First 2 nights at golden isles both of there Durham motors brokeI think they’d mentioned not letting them warm up properly.

Barbecueboy
09-18-2018, 07:31 AM
so who will be the next engine builder to tame knox??

Will be a hucky buck motor.......

powerslide
09-18-2018, 09:12 AM
The better question is who in the top 6 didn't have a Durham under the hood? Sounds like they're doing pretty good to me. Any engine will blow if you over rev it. They're still running push rod motors in DLM, so that't going to limit their RPM right there. For the team who hurt motors, what kind of RPMs were they turning? How were they geared, and were they spinning the tires? That along with many other factors is going to be a factor in reliability.

Bloomquist seemed to of broke rocker arms on separate nights and we know he's not a up on the cushion banging and wheel spinning type. He has always spoken highly of Andy's maintenance free engines. All engines are ticking time bombs it happens to all of them at some point

cjsracing
09-18-2018, 09:39 AM
Bloomquist seemed to of broke rocker arms on separate nights and we know he's not a up on the cushion banging and wheel spinning type. He has always spoken highly of Andy's maintenance free engines. All engines are ticking time bombs it happens to all of them at some point

On Friday night there was a caution in the feature, coming down the straight away from wide open to slowing for the caution there was a boom from Bloomquist's car then 2 laps later still under caution he pulled in. I wondered if the valve train broke when he let off the throttle from wide open. Kind of like a shock to the system of something.

Stefan2k4
09-18-2018, 06:56 PM
On Friday night there was a caution in the feature, coming down the straight away from wide open to slowing for the caution there was a boom from Bloomquist's car then 2 laps later still under caution he pulled in. I wondered if the valve train broke when he let off the throttle from wide open. Kind of like a shock to the system of something.

A bang or pop when letting off the throttle is caused by the engine going rich for an instant as the throttle blades close in the carb. Fuel is heavier and more dense than air and therefore has more interia. When the throttle blades close in the carb, when a driver abruptly lets off, the air slows down quicker than the fuel. Therefore the engine will momentarily go rich. The extra fuel from this doesn't burn because it hasn't sufficient air to burn. So, it travels out the exhaust unburnt until it reachs the end where it encounter fresh air. Then it goes boom. This shouldn't cause any damage to the engine. However, if Bloomquist engine had already had a valvetrain component fail and was therefore missing on one or more cylinders as a result of this. It may have made this effect even more pronounced because there would be a lot more unburnt fuel coming out the exhaust pipes. So, it's also possible this may have been a symptom of a failure that had already occurred. Either way, I thing the pop or bang you heard was likely not the cause of the failure, but it may have been an effect of it.

Bloomquist seemed to of broke rocker arms on separate nights and we know he's not a up on the cushion banging and wheel spinning type

Yes, but wasn't he nearly a half second quicker in qualifying. Maybe he was hitting higher RPM that most others. Valve train is the weak link in a push rod motor when you rev it high. Maybe it's time to start thinking of overhead cam engines. Either that or go to larger displacement engines that will be geared high and not have to wind as high in the RPM range, maybe 500-700 CID. In drag racing, in the Pro modified division they have engines that go upto 1000 CID. Modifieds run big blocks, why could late models not?

formercrewguy
09-18-2018, 07:05 PM
Modifieds run big blocks, why could late models not?

Yea.....and make em run a straight axle too!!!!!

smh.

NormP
09-18-2018, 07:08 PM
Either that or go to larger displacement engines that will be geared high and not have to wind as high in the RPM range, maybe 500-700 CID. In drag racing, in the Pro modified division they have engines that go upto 1000 CID. Modifieds run big blocks, why could late models not?

Tim Logan and Steve Francis used to bring a Russell Baker big block to Eldora for the Dream and World. I always wondered why more teams didn’t do something similar.

hucktyson
09-18-2018, 07:15 PM
How many worlds and dreams did they win with the big block ?? The answer is probably why more people didn’t do it ....