PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here play iracing?

gman17
09-19-2018, 04:38 PM
I am curious to know does anyone here play iracing?

dch191
09-19-2018, 05:16 PM
Yes. There’s quite a few on here that play. I’m usually on a few hours a week

Mason87
09-19-2018, 05:18 PM
I play not as much as I want to since working 2nd shift now.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-19-2018, 09:01 PM
I play, but been taking a break playing CoD.

It is fun though. Get tired of dirt, I do oval asphalt and road racing.

gman17
09-19-2018, 10:05 PM
My wheel will be here sometime thursday and then getting it. I will probally just play ss for now as when u 1st sign up heard u get 2 dirt tracks and ss as well as legend cars.

chathamracefan
09-19-2018, 10:43 PM
I play it. Dirt has gone thru some growing pains but they recently did an update that seems to have improved it. Also AI will be coming out I think in a few months. Personally I will like that as a way to practice and be able to race more on my own schedule. It is a lot of fun to play.

Eldora > Your Track
09-19-2018, 10:53 PM
My wheel will be here sometime thursday and then getting it. I will probally just play ss for now as when u 1st sign up heard u get 2 dirt tracks and ss as well as legend cars.

I usually do a race or two each night. It's a super fun game once you get good at it. Best racing game out there for sure. I believe you do get a few tracks included when you sign up, but you have to buy the rest and buy all of the cars (but I joined like 18 months ago and things may have changed). When I started you had to race pavement street stocks until you reach a certain safety rating level and then you could race dirt, but like I said, this may be different now. When you get started racing in "official series" I would recommend racing 305 sprints and limited late models just to get some practice racing with people at slower speeds. When you join official races it will dock you safety rating for hitting the wall and other people, but you will gain SR for a clean race. My advise is to go back and watch the replay of the race once it ends. Particularly the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit view of the guys who win or are up front. This will help you determine how to be faster with what line to run and throttle control. Good luck!

Tek2747
09-19-2018, 11:05 PM
I play. Ran VLR last year but took a break. Just getting back into it this month.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-20-2018, 03:50 AM
I play. Ran VLR last year but took a break. Just getting back into it this month.VLR has been around a long time. Used to race with them in DTR 2. In iRacing I’m sure they are tough.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-20-2018, 03:50 AM
My wheel will be here sometime thursday and then getting it. I will probally just play ss for now as when u 1st sign up heard u get 2 dirt tracks and ss as well as legend cars.What wheel did you get?

WisWildManFan
09-20-2018, 04:36 AM
Play when I can... Enjoy fixed sessions the most.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-20-2018, 05:19 AM
Play when I can... Enjoy fixed sessions the most.Agree man. I know ya need to just work on sets and download them, but for those that just wanna jump in and race, the fixed sets are it. Though I like the Heat racing.

WisWildManFan
09-20-2018, 05:47 AM
Agree man. I know ya need to just work on sets and download them, but for those that just wanna jump in and race, the fixed sets are it. Though I like the Heat racing.At least you know when you get beat it's not the car lol

dch191
09-20-2018, 07:29 AM
At least you know when you get beat it's not the car lol

But it feels so much better when you can take the baseline setup and run with the guys that out hours into their setups.

WisWildManFan
09-20-2018, 08:54 AM
But it feels so much better when you can take the baseline setup and run with the guys that out hours into their setups.That's satisfying too... It's unreal how each car drives so much different.

Tek2747
09-20-2018, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan "VLR has been around a long time. Used to race with them in DTR 2. In iRacing I’m sure they are tough." Those guys are wicked fast. I think I only made the A main once in the season I ran. Someone needs to see what Howard Weaver can do in a real ride. The videos of him are unreal.

Kryptonite17
09-20-2018, 12:51 PM
iRacing is awesome, you will be glad you joined. The dirt track racing is always going through updates. The cars are really good right now but in my opinion the last update hurt the track surfaces more than it helped. They will get it straightened out eventually.

Clayton_Wetter
09-20-2018, 01:17 PM
You must have a good setup or you will only struggle I assume.

I played GT6 online and the setups are critical there.

Does anyone play the new GT Sport on PS4?

riddle28
09-20-2018, 02:03 PM
i usually run a couple races a night, mods are the most fun to me

Josh Bayko
09-20-2018, 02:27 PM
You must have a good setup or you will only struggle I assume.

I played GT6 online and the setups are critical there.

Does anyone play the new GT Sport on PS4?

I play some GT Sport, but I mostly play single player and paint cars. The times I have been online, though, the racing tends to be pretty clean, and yes, setups are still key. For the price, it’s a pretty solid game, and they seem to slowly but surely be turning it into a full GT game. New tracks, cars, and single player events come every month or two.

reid boys
09-20-2018, 02:42 PM
I don't play Iracing but I watch. I found this might help some of you.
https://youtu.be/sB15jf-As5s

Clayton_Wetter
09-20-2018, 04:42 PM
Scott Bayko, I plan on getting a PS4 soon and getting GT Sport. I played GT6 until they ended the online service. Was pretty successful at it, but not the best. The Muira was my favorite car.

gman17
09-20-2018, 04:46 PM
I got the tmx wheel

Illtsate32
09-20-2018, 04:56 PM
Weaver would struggle just like any other person in the world would first time in a car. Its got some characteristics that would speed up the learning curve of course but ive done both and im here to tell you its nowhere near the same like people say, theres no seat of the pants feel, no fear factor, smells sounds can even be intimidating. For people to think someone is a wheel man because of a video game, or sim or sim lol is preposterous...

Josh Bayko
09-20-2018, 05:11 PM
Scott Bayko, I plan on getting a PS4 soon and getting GT Sport. I played GT6 until they ended the online service. Was pretty successful at it, but not the best. The Muira was my favorite car.

Heads up, you’re gonna have to pay for PS Plus to be able to race online, but as a PS+ member you’ll ge the opportunity to download two games a month. Sony picks which two games, but they’re usually pretty solid games. For instance, last month one of the games was Mafia 3.

And they put the Miura in GT Sport.

Clayton_Wetter
09-20-2018, 05:18 PM
The quest for our cash never ends!!! lol

TDRacin®
09-20-2018, 07:53 PM
Weaver would struggle just like any other person in the world would first time in a car. Its got some characteristics that would speed up the learning curve of course but ive done both and im here to tell you its nowhere near the same like people say, theres no seat of the pants feel, no fear factor, smells sounds can even be intimidating. For people to think someone is a wheel man because of a video game, or sim or sim lol is preposterous...

Until they actually do it irl and prove you wrong. ;) Not preposterous at all!

I personally find it more strange when someone really good irl struggles in iRacing.

Illtsate32
09-20-2018, 08:27 PM
Then why hasnt it happened? Answer: its not the same thing lol. If I win in nascar heat on expert level should I call up Gibbs and say gme a ride?? And McKinney jumps in vlr races and spanks em...

MI Dirt Fan
09-20-2018, 08:32 PM
The quest for our cash never ends!!! lol

Is it UMP sanction? lol

Kryptonite17
09-20-2018, 08:45 PM
You can definitely sink money into your iRacing setup, quickly! Personally it has been worth every penny spent! Hoping we get more 4m members to join.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-20-2018, 08:48 PM
Then why hasnt it happened? Answer: its not the same thing lol. If I win in nascar heat on expert level should I call up Gibbs and say gme a ride?? And McKinney jumps in vlr races and spanks em...It has happened. On the road courses it has for a fact. And the dirt drivers use it to hone their skills and to at least get a feel for a new track. They have leagues and competitions to have a ride on the road courses. And I see the opportunity coming soon on dirt.

McKinney doesn’t win every week. There’s some tough ones, I think his brother is one, that Zach Leonhardi is another. Of course it’s not the same, but it’s as close as most of us will ever get. Everything is laser etched and cars are copied, the actual cars.

Illtsate32
09-20-2018, 08:56 PM
Not denying it can have benifits, and it is super fun, its great no doubt, I just find it somewhat funny people say oh this guy or that guy is a flatout wheelman he could run on the lucas tour lol, nah man it aint real...

TDRacin®
09-20-2018, 10:17 PM
Not denying it can have benifits, and it is super fun, its great no doubt, I just find it somewhat funny people say oh this guy or that guy is a flatout wheelman he could run on the lucas tour lol, nah man it aint real...

But then you see people actually do it!

BadlandsBandit12
09-21-2018, 12:12 AM
I am planning on getting on it, I need to find the right set up. I got the shifter pedals and the wheel by thrustmaster. I just need to get the chair set up. What is the best chair set up you can buy for the money?? I have looked but I am just not so sure. Any help would be appreciated?

chupp n bloomer fan
09-21-2018, 04:24 AM
I am planning on getting on it, I need to find the right set up. I got the shifter pedals and the wheel by thrustmaster. I just need to get the chair set up. What is the best chair set up you can buy for the money?? I have looked but I am just not so sure. Any help would be appreciated?Until I get real serious I’m using a nice office chair. Logitech is partners or owns PlaySeat.

chupp n bloomer fan
09-21-2018, 04:28 AM
Not denying it can have benifits, and it is super fun, its great no doubt, I just find it somewhat funny people say oh this guy or that guy is a flatout wheelman he could run on the lucas tour lol, nah man it aint real...I cannot imagine anyone saying that. If they have they have. Is it very realistic, sure, but do you have no actual physical consequences for a mistake, yes. And road racing is different, just as hard or harder, but not three wide sideways. They did a contest for Gran Turismo too at least once. It will become more and more common. And the most bad a.. set up is cheaper than a real car competitively.:)

JCSullivan00
09-21-2018, 07:10 AM
If you guys are handy, you can buy some awesome plans and templates, and build a very nice racing rig through Ricmotech.

phillips6
09-21-2018, 11:16 AM
GMAN17,If you ever need any help getting your stuff setup or anything along those lines let me know. I'm on Team VLR. Let me know man. Whats everyones name on Iracing?

09-21-2018, 11:34 AM
Illtsate32

And McKinney jumps in vlr races and spanks em...

Except that isn't true at all. McKinney only has one win EVER at VLR and an average finish of 13th. In fact he didn't even make the feature in the $1,000 to win UMP Modified race at Volusia. He is really really good in both iRacing and real life though and it's fun to race with him. I'm just saying it isn't true that he "spanks them" when he races, although he is one of the best.

I am Howard by the way, someone linked me this thread. I did run dirt go karts for a brief time when I was 12/13 in Jr Sportsman class and won half of the races I was in my only full year and the track championship.

The only reason we stopped racing is because my family could afford it since back then (2001/02), go kart racing didn't really pay anything to win and we were on a tight budget to begin with. We would haul the go kart to the track in the bed of my dads pickup truck while most everyone else had at least a small enclosed trailer (while some like Trevor Bayne had a NASCAR hauler practically lol).

I'm with the club on here that says if you're very good and successful in iRacing, then you can be successful in real life racing. I feel like I am better WITH the seat of the pants feel because it does suck not being able to feel any of the G-Forces or anything like that in iRacing, so in that regard I would say iRacing is harder because you don't have the feel to go off of when reacting to the car movements as much when you enter a corner etc.

I definitely don't fear racing in real life. I understand dirt go karts are way different than a late model or something like that, but if you're passionate about racing then there's no reason to fear doing something that you enjoy. I noticed whenever I ran in real life everything feels much slower than it does when you play it back on video and everything since you're actually in the car and moving as it does. If you fear racing in a real car or being around other cars then of course you will struggle.

Most fast drivers on iRacing that I've seen are also super fast in the real car as well. You rarely see someone who is fast in real life be slow on iRacing. NASCAR Heat is also much more of an arcade style game whereas iRacing is considered to be more of a simulation. Using VR in iRacing is very immersive and I think helps make it more legit as well.

09-21-2018, 11:43 AM
McKinney doesn’t win every week. There’s some tough ones, I think his brother is one, that Zach Leonhardi is another. Of course it’s not the same, but it’s as close as most of us will ever get. Everything is laser etched and cars are copied, the actual cars.

Mike McKinney is really good on iRacing, but his brother Matt may even be better. Dylan Wilson, who doesn't race in real life, is also one of the very best.

Zach Leonhardi is who I'm battling for the WoO Pro series championship right now and he is super super tough. He actually races Super Late Models in real life and is only 17. I got to meet him a few months ago actually and is good in real life, too. There are a lot of drivers who I think would do well in a real car if the opportunities presented themselves, but you never know until it actually happens. Either way it's fun getting to race against the real life guys in iRacing and occasionally beating them.

Tek2747
09-21-2018, 01:21 PM
Alex Bergeron is one example that comes to mind of someone who successfully crossed over from iRacing to real cars without any experience.

WisWildManFan
09-21-2018, 01:38 PM
Alex Bergeron is one example that comes to mind of someone who successfully crossed over from iRacing to real cars without any experience.What is he running in real life?

WisWildManFan
09-21-2018, 01:39 PM
William Byron has been quoted iracing is harder than real racing because of not having the feel of your body.

Tek2747
09-21-2018, 01:45 PM
Alex Bergeron ran a 305 dirt sprint against a field of 360's. Started 18th. Finished 6th in his first race. His YouTube channel also shows him running some asphalt stuff. I think he's only 18 years old.

Snake X3
09-21-2018, 01:54 PM
I used to race iRacing for a few years after it first came out. I raced constantly. I had to quit due to neck/spine issues, but it was and probably still is awesome. I've been toying with the idea of giving it another try.

Recently I was watching some iRacing Late Model races and saw Ricky Thorton Jr out there running. It was pretty cool to see him race on iRacing. Right after that he got Hudson O'Neal's ride. I'd be interested in hearing what he thinks of iRacing's realism.

Mason87
09-21-2018, 02:04 PM
9688 check your inbox

Illtsate32
09-21-2018, 04:40 PM
CnB not only can I imagine it ive seen it said over and over, thats why I made my original post im not lying I dont make stuff up for sh*ts and giggles..And Howard ive heard people say your name and ive seen you race your a great iracing driver..but my point is you are not gna look like Bobby Pierce or Scott Bloomquist on iracing and then go jump in a real late model and do the same...and people seem to think that,...

09-21-2018, 06:52 PM
CnB not only can I imagine it ive seen it said over and over, thats why I made my original post im not lying I dont make stuff up for sh*ts and giggles..And Howard ive heard people say your name and ive seen you race your a great iracing driver..but my point is you are not gna look like Bobby Pierce or Scott Bloomquist on iracing and then go jump in a real late model and do the same...and people seem to think that,...

Oh yeah I definitely agree with you there. I'm not sure that's what anyone meant anyway. Just like with iRacing, nobody jumps on on day one and is suddenly running up front with the best of the best. But I do think it helps with some of the learning curve at least knowing some of the basics and generalities of the car to start.

I don't think I'm delusional about it at all. If you're gonna compete with guys like that in real life you'll firstly need a lot of money, and secondly a lot of experience because they have such a comfort level with their car already from their time racing that only real racing experience could bring. iRacing would just be a good start to get a very general feel of the cars and the way the tracks develop. At the very least, it's better than nothing lol.

153J
09-21-2018, 08:44 PM
http://www.teamvlr.com/

im old school dtr1 , dtr2

played iriacing when dirt first came out , my comp couldnt handle it , and im not sinking money like that into a comp just for a game

TDRacin®
09-22-2018, 09:19 AM
Then why hasnt it happened? Answer: its not the same thing lol. If I win in nascar heat on expert level should I call up Gibbs and say gme a ride?? And McKinney jumps in vlr races and spanks em...

Because apparently you don't know as much about sim racing as you might think! That's OK tho.

2muchstagger
09-22-2018, 09:27 AM
With pretty much all the tracks around me closing over the last few years, I have been watching more and more PPV to get my fix. I knew about iracing years ago and thought it looked cool and thought about getting into it, but didn’t for whatever reason then. I ran across the YouTube channel a couple of weeks ago and I am finding that it is helping satisfy my need. I am finding it quite entertaining to follow the few of you that are competing on the WOO circuit and even more intriguing to see some of you posting. I am curious to know how long some of you have been doing the sim racing thing and how long did it take you to get competitive at it? I caught myself looking at computers for a bit yesterday. As bad as it sounds, in my opinion, racing has greatly diminished in the last 10-12 years and as a fan it concerns me what it will be in 10-12 more with the way things are going. I can see SIM racing becoming more of a thing.

TDRacin®
09-22-2018, 10:04 AM
I've been sim racing since a friend turned me onto Indy 500 The Sim back in 1989! Followed all of the Papyrus titles (makers of iRacing) and Dave Crammond's Microprose Formula One Grand Prix. Before racing online with others I did many offline leagues and the occasional modem race with a buddy (which was a complete mess with cars warping EVERYWHERE!!). Finally tried online racing with TEN in 1998 and I haven't ever thought of racing against AI since!

I raced N3 after TEN closed for a couple years in leagues and went to many LAN events all around the country (the BEST format for sim racing- eliminates the internet) until that stopped and sorta retired until iRacing came out. Messed around with it a bit until they released the IndyCar and that's the only car I have ran since.

I wish dirt had been released a long time ago but my love for the IndyCar keeps me away from anything else. :)