PDA

View Full Version : Upper A-arm question

Krooser
09-19-2018, 08:02 PM
OK... does anyone use or is there any reason to use the upper control arms that feature the angled ball joint with a screw-in pocket?

I bought three really high quality used Right Foot pieces a few years ago to use on a Camaro stub super stock. That deal's on the back burner so I have these available.

These also have the slugs that enable caster adjustments.

These things are 11 gauge plated steel and look really nice.

Again... thanks.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-19-2018, 08:26 PM
OK... does anyone use or is there any reason to use the upper control arms that feature the angled ball joint with a screw-in pocket?

I bought three really high quality used Right Foot pieces a few years ago to use on a Camaro stub super stock. That deal's on the back burner so I have these available.

These also have the slugs that enable caster adjustments.

These things are 11 gauge plated steel and look really nice.

Again... thanks.

The angle allows more shock travel and camber gain before the ball joint runs out of angle travel.

Krooser
09-19-2018, 08:43 PM
Kinda figured that might be what they do... wasn't sure.

These were on a pavement SLM... I have a two ten degree and one 16 degree. I think I can use the 11" deal on the left with the longer lower and I will shorten the right side to about 8 1/4" like the GenX uses and a 19" lower... any better ideas?

Your season about done?

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-20-2018, 06:13 AM
Kinda figured that might be what they do... wasn't sure.

These were on a pavement SLM... I have a two ten degree and one 16 degree. I think I can use the 11" deal on the left with the longer lower and I will shorten the right side to about 8 1/4" like the GenX uses and a 19" lower... any better ideas?

Your season about done?

I think you will be fine starting there. Weather permitting, we probably have a month left. We will race as much as we can. We didn't have an engine at least half the summer.

Krooser
09-20-2018, 06:02 PM
Anybody got 4 link specs for my Smackdown... need the swedge tube length...

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-20-2018, 06:18 PM
Anybody got 4 link specs for my Smackdown... need the swedge tube length...

17.5" top bars
15.5" lower bars

So 15" tubes and 13" tubes

Krooser
09-20-2018, 08:26 PM
Thanks... my wide combo has 14's and 12's...

I have several from when I bought with my super stock. A friend of mine has a bundle for sale if the ones I have won't work.

Here's another question... heavy tube on the LR? Not trying to get carried away here but my old racing partner from the 70's always told me that lightweight stuff that was just beginning to be produced wasn't strong enough for 1/4 mile dirt tracks we raced. He also said a heavy rear made more bite... ahead of his time?

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-20-2018, 08:55 PM
Thanks... my wide combo has 14's and 12's...

I have several from when I bought with my super stock. A friend of mine has a bundle for sale if the ones I have won't work.

Here's another question... heavy tube on the LR? Not trying to get carried away here but my old racing partner from the 70's always told me that lightweight stuff that was just beginning to be produced wasn't strong enough for 1/4 mile dirt tracks we raced. He also said a heavy rear made more bite... ahead of his time?

I may be off on the tube lengths then. But the eye to eye is correct.

Bloomquist has a huge steel birdcage. I say go for the heavy tube.

Krooser
09-20-2018, 09:33 PM
Found one for $100.00.... selling more of my hot rod remenants to finance the new ride.

I think your tube numbers are correct...

As lomg as you mentioned birdcages... my old car has steel cages without bearings. One of the top local guys said I'd likely be better off with those because there's less maintenance and they work well. I've found all kinds of bird cages... do i need MB specific parts or will Rocket, Warrior, etc. work.

I see some MB cages have one narrower than the other.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-21-2018, 05:26 AM
Found one for $100.00.... selling more of my hot rod remenants to finance the new ride.

I think your tube numbers are correct...

As lomg as you mentioned birdcages... my old car has steel cages without bearings. One of the top local guys said I'd likely be better off with those because there's less maintenance and they work well. I've found all kinds of bird cages... do i need MB specific parts or will Rocket, Warrior, etc. work.

I see some MB cages have one narrower than the other.
You should stick to the MB specific to be sure they are the right ones. You can use others if you get the measurements for links and spring location relative to the brake rotor. I would also suggest the steel. You can get them for next to nothing and they work just fine.

Krooser
09-21-2018, 01:14 PM
I like the way you think...

BTW I'll be thru Cincinnati early October...I'll buy lunch!

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-21-2018, 03:49 PM
I like the way you think...

BTW I'll be thru Cincinnati early October...I'll buy lunch!

Sounds good. I am in.

mmarineservice
09-22-2018, 02:02 AM
what all you have from you hot rod stuff for sale

Krooser
09-22-2018, 06:54 AM
Not much... I'm always finding small stuff.

My son is taking over one end if the shop for his woodworking hobby so I'm finding little things... Couple '40 Ford wheels, an occasional Hemi engine piece, some flathead Ford bits. Just sold a pair of '52Peterbilt headlights I've had stuffed away from my owner operator days.