PDA

View Full Version : Wild West Shootout or Winternationals at East Bay

Just The Tip
10-31-2018, 02:43 AM
Ok 4M experts, I need some advice. I am planning a trip with my brother and we are trying to decide which set of races to hit. We have both never been to either place to see racing. Due to work and time off, hitting both in one year won't be possible. So, which one do you all reccomend going to first? I live in southern Indiana, so the plan would be to fly to either Tampa or Phoenix and rent a car to get around. Both places seem to be nicely located for hotels and restaurants, so that seems pretty even to me. Watching some races on YouTube and the action seems pretty good at both tracks. I like the schedule at East Bay a little more due to the fact that they are running Monday thru Saturday, but that is not a deal breaker at the end of the day. Just need some help to push us one way or the other. Thanks.

bleedblue55
10-31-2018, 03:50 AM
I've been to the EB Winternationals probably 15 times or more but never hit the WWSO. Opinions on EB I have many, comparisons to the WWSO I have nothing. Either way you're heading to someplace warmer than where you live.

Dlmfan123
10-31-2018, 05:42 AM
I’m in the same boat at the moment. I’ve never been out west before but I’m not sure if I wanna do wwso, or Volusia

MI Dirt Fan
10-31-2018, 07:19 AM
The thing with Eastbay or Volusia you probably should've made hotel reservations 8 months ago to get decent pricing because they could be outrageously high. Especially Volusia.

Dlmfan123
10-31-2018, 07:22 AM
The thing with Eastbay or Volusia you probably should've made hotel reservations 8 months ago to get decent pricing because they could be outrageously high. Especially Volusia.I have family with in a half hour so I wouldn’t really need to worry about that there

Jim11h
10-31-2018, 07:53 AM
If never been west, the mountains and sunset are some of best you'll ever see. San Diego not long drive from phoenix. Would imagine more to do in day time as well. If get chance take the drive to sedona

RaceEngineer
10-31-2018, 08:01 AM
The thing with Eastbay or Volusia you probably should've made hotel reservations 8 months ago to get decent pricing because they could be outrageously high. Especially Volusia.I wait and snipe the cheap prices on Priceline. Move around a lot, but that has it's benefits too.

Loobs_07
10-31-2018, 09:26 AM
I’ve been to soeedweeks for about the last 15 years. I always try to catch the last night or two at east bay then as much as i can at volusia. Seen some awesome racing there over the years. Bubbas has a race in between those two now as week. Plus Daytona 500.. bigger car counts and better cars in Florida. I went to Arizona a year or two ago and last few nights were rained out so didn’t get to see any racing but will be going back this year to catch a few nights to see what it’s like.

Tireguy17
10-31-2018, 09:57 AM
I loved the years of going to East Bay, its a unique race track, BUT you only see 1 class, and early in the week a bunch of "heavy hitters" skip the non-Lucas point nights. With that being said, 1st time going to East Bay is still enjoyable and you're not racing late into the night and have time to do other things. I like Volusia as well. If I was going to do a week in FL I'd hit Volusia early in the week then hit East Bay for the Lucas points races.

Never been to the WWS but opposite of East Bay, they run alot of classes.

Barbecueboy
10-31-2018, 11:51 AM
East bay wins the tie with the strawberry shortcake.....

FANSFund
10-31-2018, 12:20 PM
Been to both.

For pure racing quality and depth of field - East Bay is by far superior. East Bay will get most of the national travellers plus top regional guys and the depth of talent in the field is just greater. Racing surface is a hard/slick (AZ) versus soft/wet track that slicks off with higher laps so East Bay changes throughout the night. Although, night racing at AZ tracks is really good when track is wet/fast then slicks off later.

Track Experience: to me, East Bay truly marks the start of the racing season. Many guys go out to AZ to test and knock the rust off and have fun. But at East Bay they race really hard and for the Lucas guys... they know they have to start well or dig themselves in a hole early. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is like walking through post race at East Bay and literally every car has panels off and crews are banging out sheet metal. Only pile larger in the pits than the discarded tires... the nose pieces, sheet metal and bars that get removed/replaced during the week.

Cost: Arizona beats Florida hands down. Much more to do in Arizona like sight seeing and places to go that are inexpensive than Florida. While not Spring Break - Florida knows it is peak season and everything there from food to sight seeing is expensive. If you are on a tight budget... you will see quality racing in AZ and have a lot of fun away from the track at a lower cost.

People: East Bay will have more true racing fans to connect with prior/after races. Just in the camping area alone you will find people that have been going to East Bay for 20+ years. Great stories and great times camping whereas in AZ you don't see the volume of camping you do at East Bay.

My recommendation - do what I have done for several years - go to Florida - take in the last few nights of East Bay, go up to Bubba and take in an event and then head over to the big track at Volusia to take in a few races. You get to see three very different race tracks and for the most part, some really good racing (Bubba is hit or miss but the shape is something really unique). Also, while at Volusia you can swing over to Daytona during the day and get into some of the NASCAR and ARCA stuff for free. Watching cards speed by at 200+ mph is always a rush.

Rich Olson
Minneapolis, MN

flagone
10-31-2018, 12:38 PM
Rich how long has it been since you came to AZ? I had the exact opposite experience with surface and camping folks. The camping area at FK Rod Ends Arizona Speedway is packed full as are the grandstands every night. All the snowbirds are in town plus a ton of travelers.

Everyone should make the trip to the Wild West Shootout at least once in their life. It is such a great experience. Laid back but some very hard door to door racing. Add to that the Keyser Quarter Million Challenge and the drama is through the roof. I think this year's field will be one of the best to ever come to Az.

Clayton_Wetter
10-31-2018, 01:29 PM
East bay wins the tie with the strawberry shortcake.....

Somehow, I knew that was coming!!!!

Barbecueboy
10-31-2018, 03:44 PM
Somehow, I knew that was coming!!!!

Girl you know it's true, lol.....

Find us a Millie vanilli meme.

Joking aside, I've been to east bay quite a bit but never anywhere out west ....it's on the list but just haven't been able to swing it yet.

And plus, that dang strawberry shortcake.

Just The Tip
10-31-2018, 05:21 PM
Been to both.

For pure racing quality and depth of field - East Bay is by far superior. East Bay will get most of the national travellers plus top regional guys and the depth of talent in the field is just greater. Racing surface is a hard/slick (AZ) versus soft/wet track that slicks off with higher laps so East Bay changes throughout the night. Although, night racing at AZ tracks is really good when track is wet/fast then slicks off later.

Track Experience: to me, East Bay truly marks the start of the racing season. Many guys go out to AZ to test and knock the rust off and have fun. But at East Bay they race really hard and for the Lucas guys... they know they have to start well or dig themselves in a hole early. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is like walking through post race at East Bay and literally every car has panels off and crews are banging out sheet metal. Only pile larger in the pits than the discarded tires... the nose pieces, sheet metal and bars that get removed/replaced during the week.

Cost: Arizona beats Florida hands down. Much more to do in Arizona like sight seeing and places to go that are inexpensive than Florida. While not Spring Break - Florida knows it is peak season and everything there from food to sight seeing is expensive. If you are on a tight budget... you will see quality racing in AZ and have a lot of fun away from the track at a lower cost.

People: East Bay will have more true racing fans to connect with prior/after races. Just in the camping area alone you will find people that have been going to East Bay for 20+ years. Great stories and great times camping whereas in AZ you don't see the volume of camping you do at East Bay.

My recommendation - do what I have done for several years - go to Florida - take in the last few nights of East Bay, go up to Bubba and take in an event and then head over to the big track at Volusia to take in a few races. You get to see three very different race tracks and for the most part, some really good racing (Bubba is hit or miss but the shape is something really unique). Also, while at Volusia you can swing over to Daytona during the day and get into some of the NASCAR and ARCA stuff for free. Watching cards speed by at 200+ mph is always a rush.

Rich Olson
Minneapolis, MN

Thank you Rich for the detailed response. That was exactly what I was hoping for. I have actually been to Volusia and Bubba before, so this trip was going to be purely East Bay if we decide on Florida. Their Monday thru Saturday schedule is something that really appeals to me.

MI Dirt Fan
10-31-2018, 05:22 PM
I think every night is a points night now at East Bay except maybe Monday. All the big names raced last year. Some guys like say WoO or guys who are going to run Volusia go to Eastbay later in the week.

Just The Tip
10-31-2018, 05:26 PM
Rich how long has it been since you came to AZ? I had the exact opposite experience with surface and camping folks. The camping area at FK Rod Ends Arizona Speedway is packed full as are the grandstands every night. All the snowbirds are in town plus a ton of travelers.

Everyone should make the trip to the Wild West Shootout at least once in their life. It is such a great experience. Laid back but some very hard door to door racing. Add to that the Keyser Quarter Million Challenge and the drama is through the roof. I think this year's field will be one of the best to ever come to Az.

Thanks for the response Kelly. I think at this moment we are leaning towards Arizona. The setting and surrounding area is a big factor. It seems more unique to me to have late models racing in that area and that experience is why we are leaning that way.

ZERO25
10-31-2018, 05:35 PM
Eastbay by a landslide!

True bullring, no bad seats, superior competition, only ONE class, done by 10!

Plenty to do during the day, plenty of motels and restaurants (you Yankees make it more expensive :))

Good ole Southern hospitality, and last but not least......that darn STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE!

Dlmfan123
10-31-2018, 05:36 PM
I think every night is a points night now at East Bay except maybe Monday. All the big names raced last year. Some guys like say WoO or guys who are going to run Volusia go to Eastbay later in the week.Last year it wasn’t. Haven’t seen anything about it being changed. That only happened last year cuz screven rained out

MI Dirt Fan
10-31-2018, 06:29 PM
Hit my head and forget stuff sometimes lol

over4T
10-31-2018, 06:30 PM
If you've been to Florida before treat yourselves to Arizona. As others have said more classes in AZ, more big names in FL, fans are rabid and fun both places, AZ hands down much less expensive with out East Bay's strawberry shortcake but terrific Mexican food, much less touristy ripoffs. FL wins if Gentlemen's Clubs ( strip bars) are your thing, AZ if you like beautiful scenery and a different style of architecture than FL tacky.

In FL license plates are 90% from the upper midwest while AZ's are from the western states, predominatedly the colder states, i.e. the Dakotas, Montana, Wisconsin etc. The kicker may be that you're from Indiana and will perhaps retire to FL and, hopefully, have many years to enjoy FL's pluses while you may, otherwise never see Arizona and that would be a shame. Have fun whichever you go to though.

WisWildManFan
10-31-2018, 06:59 PM
6 nights in a row at the same track gets old

flagone
10-31-2018, 07:07 PM
That is one of the appeals too I think. We have nights off here and there to break it up and allow you to do other things. The racetrack is literally at the foot of the Superstition Mountains. To me its a racing vacation. If you decide to come shoot me a message and I will give you a personal tour.

toledo47
11-01-2018, 06:30 PM
Never been to the Arizona races, and probably never will because I hate the schedule. If I fly in the morning of the first race and fly out the morning after the final race, I’m looking at 10 days minimum and that’s the best case scenario, it likely wouldn’t work out that well. 10 days for 6 races... I don’t like it. Run it Monday to Saturday or Tuesday to Sunday and I’ll give it a chance .

TackyTracker
11-02-2018, 12:17 AM
yeah this would be a tough decision for me also

Dawg1987
11-02-2018, 01:22 PM
That is one of the appeals too I think. We have nights off here and there to break it up and allow you to do other things. The racetrack is literally at the foot of the Superstition Mountains. To me its a racing vacation. If you decide to come shoot me a message and I will give you a personal tour.

Can I get a personal tour too?

Just The Tip
11-02-2018, 06:14 PM
If you've been to Florida before treat yourselves to Arizona. As others have said more classes in AZ, more big names in FL, fans are rabid and fun both places, AZ hands down much less expensive with out East Bay's strawberry shortcake but terrific Mexican food, much less touristy ripoffs. FL wins if Gentlemen's Clubs ( strip bars) are your thing, AZ if you like beautiful scenery and a different style of architecture than FL tacky.

In FL license plates are 90% from the upper midwest while AZ's are from the western states, predominatedly the colder states, i.e. the Dakotas, Montana, Wisconsin etc. The kicker may be that you're from Indiana and will perhaps retire to FL and, hopefully, have many years to enjoy FL's pluses while you may, otherwise never see Arizona and that would be a shame. Have fun whichever you go to though.

Thanks for the post 4T. I tend to agree with your thinking. We make it to Florida quite a bit, but we never really go out west. The schedule isn't as attractive but we will make it work.

Just The Tip
11-02-2018, 06:15 PM

Wow, thank you for the invite. I will be in touch.