PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't LOLMDS or WoO run a regular at The Dirt Track at Charlotte?

RayCook53fan
10-31-2018, 02:48 PM
I've wondered for years, why does neither series, or even regional series like Ultimate run a regular touring event at the dirt track? (Besides the WoO World Finals obviously) The WoO Sprints do if I'm not mistaken, it just seems like such a nice facility to be idle except for just a couple weekends a year!

Pennsboro23
10-31-2018, 03:00 PM
What was the reason they quit running the Colossal?

GEAR_HEAD
10-31-2018, 04:06 PM

I miss the Colossal, I wish they'd bring that back. The World Finals have too many support classes. The Colossal was only Supers and Crash Cars, which were actually kind of entertaining.

CarolinaDirt
10-31-2018, 04:26 PM

Weather , they payed good money to win the Colossal and rain and having to move/extend it killed the gare money coming in

DownNDirty
10-31-2018, 05:04 PM
Weather , they payed good money to win the Colossal and rain and having to move/extend it killed the gare money coming in

I wish they would bring that one back. I think there's still a market for it. Early in the year there aren't any real Crown Jewel races. The Colossal could have filled that gap.

No_Weak_Links
10-31-2018, 05:07 PM
Lucas will never be there due to them being hooked in with WRG. I'm not sure why WOO doesn't run a May race there with the NASCAR crowd in town....probably something dumb like "dust"

Crossbones
10-31-2018, 05:30 PM
The biggest mystery to me is the dirt track at Texas Motor Speedway why no tour races or really much of any races at all.

MI Dirt Fan
10-31-2018, 05:50 PM
The biggest mystery to me is the dirt track at Texas Motor Speedway why no tour races or really much of any races at all.

Does WoO sprints still go there?

tsand
10-31-2018, 05:56 PM
The dirt track at lowes is used for about 15 or so events a year. You have the Woo sprints during race week you have score off road. You have AMA flat track. You have a couple of monster truck shows and a few other events .

Krooser
10-31-2018, 06:42 PM
So many reasons... Sanction costs, purse, terms of the race agreement...

I spoke to USAC in 1988 about running the sprints at my track in NE WI... they wanted a $36,000 sanction fee plus expenses not counting the purse...geez.

MI Dirt Fan
10-31-2018, 06:56 PM
I don't think there's much shortage of money there is there?

thexfactor0210
10-31-2018, 07:25 PM
What track did you run in wisconsin?

Illtsate32
10-31-2018, 08:20 PM
What about a big race out in vegas in Nov-Dec?

champion24
10-31-2018, 08:45 PM
So many reasons... Sanction costs, purse, terms of the race agreement...

I spoke to USAC in 1988 about running the sprints at my track in NE WI... they wanted a $36,000 sanction fee plus expenses not counting the purse...geez.

Those are some crazy numbers!! For the 1980's for sure! At Dixie in Georgia mid-2000's, USAC ran supposedly for $40k. I kinda wish some non-wing stuff would catch on some in the South! I know many of you are Late Model only Snobs, and any other car is sacrilege!!

hoosier race fan
10-31-2018, 08:56 PM
All 4 of the dirt tracks that were built neighboring NASCAR 1.5 mile cookie cutter facilities have a lot in common. Dirt tracks at Charlotte, Texas, Vegas, and Chicagoland (Dirt Oval Route 66) all have a very similar configuration. It isn’t a configuration that tends to produce good racing. High speed, but relatively flat with a surface that just doesn’t have more than 1 groove. Charlotte is the best of them and has been utilized the most. They’ve invested more in the racing surface and they have a premier event with the world finals. All are also notorious for being over priced. The intention may have been to host big events at these tracks around their nascar races, but they’ve just never been as successful as they should be.

racincowboy02
10-31-2018, 10:44 PM
They run the sprint cars there when the nascar race is in town in May. I miss the Colossal and there was another big late model race there too that is gone now. I think they could bring the Colossal back and make it work and could make it a crown jewel if it was done right. Could you imagine them getting the track surface right and it being 3 grooves from top to bottom. Could you imagine the crowd that would be there say in mid to late April for the Colossal especially if they made it a crown jewel and made it a true crown jewel

Barbecueboy
11-01-2018, 09:01 AM
They run the sprint cars there when the nascar race is in town in May. I miss the Colossal and there was another big late model race there too that is gone now. I think they could bring the Colossal back and make it work and could make it a crown jewel if it was done right. Could you imagine them getting the track surface right and it being 3 grooves from top to bottom. Could you imagine the crowd that would be there say in mid to late April for the Colossal especially if they made it a crown jewel and made it a true crown jewel

Would be epic.......miss the colossal.

Josh Bayko
11-01-2018, 09:10 AM
I’m guessing it has to do with money. If the Colossal made money, it would probably still be happening.

Krooser
11-01-2018, 09:35 AM
What track did you run in wisconsin?

Promoted Luxemburg (87-88), Chilton (88) and Amherst (2013). PR guy at 141 then GM in 1986. Did PR/advertising at Capital (83-84) and Slinger (85) plus did the mic work.that year.

I've done a few announcing gigs on a fill in basis since then plus ran a boatload of hot rod shows and swaps.

Now I'm.retired from all that happy horse manure and hope to have some fun for a change.

formercrewguy
11-01-2018, 09:49 AM
I want to see them put dirt on the Roval and run that!!!

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-01-2018, 10:13 AM
Promoted Luxemburg (87-88), Chilton (88) and Amherst (2013). PR guy at 141 then GM in 1986. Did PR/advertising at Capital (83-84) and Slinger (85) plus did the mic work.that year.

I've done a few announcing gigs on a fill in basis since then plus ran a boatload of hot rod shows and swaps.

Now I'm.retired from all that happy horse manure and hope to have some fun for a change.

(86-present) 4M guru!🙄🙄

MI Dirt Fan
11-01-2018, 02:08 PM
I miss the Colossal, I wish they'd bring that back. The World Finals have too many support classes. The Colossal was only Supers and Crash Cars, which were actually kind of entertaining.

So, your saying WoO sprints and Super Dirt series Big Block mods are support classes and that's too many??? Lmao

Hoosier
11-01-2018, 03:34 PM
Also missing at Charlotte: Humpy Wheeler and Roger Slack.

bill39
11-01-2018, 06:04 PM
Those are some crazy numbers!! For the 1980's for sure! At Dixie in Georgia mid-2000's, USAC ran supposedly for $40k. I kinda wish some non-wing stuff would catch on some in the South! I know many of you are Late Model only Snobs, and any other car is sacrilege!! screvan has a non wing sprint car show nov 16-17 looks to be a decent field of cars coming from indiana including shane cottle jarret andretti isaac chappell and more.. the event promoter has an entry list on indianaopenwheel.com

Trax53
11-05-2018, 08:05 AM
It was on the Speedway's calendar in the camping office this weekend when I checked in "Super Late Model Dirt Race" some time in early March

RayCook53fan
11-05-2018, 08:30 AM
It was on the Speedway's calendar in the camping office this weekend when I checked in "Super Late Model Dirt Race" some time in early March

Heck yeah man! Whatever it is, I will be there, especially since I didn't make the world finals this year.

over4T
11-05-2018, 08:33 AM
Vegas has the Duel in the Desert, a huge IMCA modified show, this coming weekend. It's been very successful since the beginning 'bout 10 or so years ago with a couple of hundred A mods and a lot of Sport Mods. Grandstands have never had a dent in their capacity (too many people in town getting rich at the tables.)
The track itself has improved over the years and the Mods run scary close to the walls coming out of 2 & 4 but good clay in Nevada is pretty much non-existent. We run a touring Pro Stock series in the northern part of the state and joke (sort of) that the Nevada dirt tracks are pavement with sand on top.
WoO has had a sprint car show there for years too but that's about it for the dirt track. The asphalt bullring runs regularly and the drag strip has several shows.
The Texas track used to have a pretty good SUPR Late Model show but since SUPR is gone now the track sits pretty much unused and that's a shame.

Josh Bayko
11-05-2018, 09:03 AM

Maybe a return of the Collosal.

DownNDirty
11-05-2018, 09:16 AM
I think a March Super Late Model dirt race, called the Colossal or whatever, would be tremendous. Run $5,000 to win shows Thursday and Friday night and a $50,000 to win race on Saturday. The Saturday day race this weekend was tremendous I thought.

Trax53
11-05-2018, 09:26 AM
I KNOW it would be an outstanding success if they would just do it!

I would WISH for a 3 day World 100 type format for a return of the "COLOSSAL 100"

dmr37
11-05-2018, 10:13 AM
The Rt 66 dirt track is totally packed and completely sold out for their demolition derbies. I haven't been too impressed by their attempts at actual racing.

DownNDirty
11-05-2018, 01:29 PM
I actually have media access in Charlotte since I'm a writer for a motorsports website. I did hear a couple of rumblings about a big DLM race next year. There were two big rumors flying around:

1. There will be a "World Beginnings" next year that features all 3 divisions after Speedweeks in Florida.

2. The Colossal 100 will return but no name has been decided on. And it would be a 3 day show with races all three days. No one actually discussed purse that I heard myself but if there were 3 nights of good money available I think there would be a lot of Late Models show up. The first year of the Colossal in 2006 there were 119 cars in the pits.

brsteg
11-05-2018, 05:00 PM
I don't think a "World Beginnings" would be a good marketing move... because the World begins in Florida in Feb; and to run the same event (essentially) twice in one year is iffy.

But I guess I'm glad Earl did it when he started the Dream.

bill39
11-05-2018, 05:54 PM
The Sprints head to the west coast for a month or two after florida stopping in vegas on nascar weekend which is march 2-3 this year so i doubt theyll be a part of a world beginnings event

CageFaraday
11-05-2018, 06:03 PM
Those are some crazy numbers!! For the 1980's for sure! At Dixie in Georgia mid-2000's, USAC ran supposedly for $40k. I kinda wish some non-wing stuff would catch on some in the South! I know many of you are Late Model only Snobs, and any other car is sacrilege!!

Have you seen this? http://www.ssmidgets.com/home2.html
http://nebula.wsimg.com/5a2cdf3df54ec1977b4caa19cef33a02?AccessKeyId=D1970 4B9F812E0370C8C&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Brand new series starting up next year in Georgia/Florida. First race this month!!

Krooser
11-05-2018, 07:19 PM
(86-present) 4M guru!

I haven't been here THAT long... you must thrive on adversity!!!!

GEAR_HEAD
11-05-2018, 08:25 PM
So, your saying WoO sprints and Super Dirt series Big Block mods are support classes and that's too many??? Lmao

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I think I was pretty clear.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-05-2018, 08:41 PM

I think ur nuts. You got 3 touring series together here.

GEAR_HEAD
11-06-2018, 06:04 AM
I think ur nuts. You got 3 touring series together here.

Even street stocks have touring series so that isn't relevant.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-06-2018, 07:00 AM
Even street stocks have touring series so that isn't relevant.

Ok well you only like 1 of the 3 classes then, therefore the other 2 are support classes in your mind.

MI Dirt Fan
11-06-2018, 10:11 AM
There is a national tour for street stocks?

Crossbones
11-06-2018, 10:22 AM
There is a national tour for street stocks

Do they have a website?

GEAR_HEAD
11-06-2018, 10:25 AM
There is a national tour for street stocks?

Nobody said anything about a national tour, he just said there's 3 touring series there. There are lots of touring series for many different divisions.

play4kps
11-06-2018, 11:06 AM
Why does it have to be run under Lucas or WOO? Its better with no sanctioning body! That way you earn your way in! Forget provisionals. especially in dirt racing!

weatherman85
11-06-2018, 11:10 AM
Never heard of anyone saying too many "support" classes at the World Finals but to each his own. I'm a fan of it as it's really the only chance I get to see WoO sprints and the BB mods close to home here in the south. Kind of a slap in the face to those guys to call them "support" classes but again, to each his own.

MI Dirt Fan
11-06-2018, 11:14 AM
I think it was quite apparent national touring was the topic of the conversation.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-06-2018, 11:18 AM
Never heard of anyone saying too many "support" classes at the World Finals but to each his own. I'm a fan of it as it's really the only chance I get to see WoO sprints and the BB mods close to home here in the south. Kind of a slap in the face to those guys to call them "support" classes but again, to each his own.

Same here weatherman I agree. Always good to see bb mods back down here.

Rich down South
11-06-2018, 11:33 AM

pretty ignorant statement LOL