PDA

View Full Version : Format

hucktyson
11-03-2018, 07:30 AM
So Charlotte is packed with cars and people for the worst purse in America and the do normal qualifying start straight up like racing was meant to be. If fans don’t support that format why is the place packed ? If racers don’t support that format how does 500 to start pull 76 cars but 2500 to start pulls 49 ??

RaceEngineer
11-03-2018, 08:21 AM
People are impressed with fancy facilities and push and flips.

Josh Bayko
11-03-2018, 08:27 AM
Three different fanbases there too. That helps a bunch.

rdcllk
11-03-2018, 08:30 AM
People go to enjoy the races. Those are the ones not on here complaining all the time

RaceEngineer
11-03-2018, 08:39 AM
Now why a bunch of racers go there, it makes absolutely no sense.

tsand
11-03-2018, 09:06 AM
Because its sorts like a vacation to some of the drivers. The camping and after race partying is the last chance to have a little fun before everything is put away for the winter. Especially the northern drivers who in about a month is going to be stuck indoors all winter. I know several drivers who said they were going to watch anyway so they might as well take their cars

Kwd1253
11-03-2018, 09:14 AM
Now why a bunch of racers go there, it makes absolutely no sense.

Like someone said above, 3 different classes with top national drivers of them classes. That draws fans fill the seats up and that equals to merchandise sales $$$$$. Then smaller teams get a chance get in the event get notice or just love the compentition.

But at end of the day why question it? It works, fans pack the place, draws more than lot the other crown jewels in all 3 classes. Maybe lucas should do dtwc like that. Lucas late model, ascs, mods. 2 or 3 day event 100k late models, 50k ascs, 25k mods. It would pack the house and have big merchandise sales.

RaceEngineer
11-03-2018, 09:28 AM
Like someone said above, 3 different classes with top national drivers of them classes. That draws fans fill the seats up and that equals to merchandise sales $$$$$. Then smaller teams get a chance get in the event get notice or just love the compentition. But at end of the day why question it? It works, fans pack the place, draws more than lot the other crown jewels in all 3 classes. Maybe lucas should do dtwc like that. Lucas late model, ascs, mods. 2 or 3 day event 100k late models, 50k ascs, 25k mods. It would pack the house and have big merchandise sales.I didn't question the fan count. It makes sense. For a middle of the road racer, it makes no sense. It's hard racing for little pay.

Krooser
11-03-2018, 09:34 AM
Because it's a fun event for the spectators and it's a chance for the drivers to compete on a big stage at the end if the season.

Why do guys spend years and huge money to run at Bonneville for a trophy and their name in a record book?

BTW...if anyone thinks DLM's are the coolest go to Bonneville and be amazed.

ZERO25
11-03-2018, 09:46 AM
Plain and simple.......a racing pioneer in my area once said:

"A racer is a racer, and a racer's gonna race"!

Lennylinda
11-03-2018, 09:56 AM
People go to enjoy the races. Those are the ones not on here complaining all the time

Well said. I have been to 134 tracks, thousands of races. This is a weekend I look forward too. Have not missed Charlotte in the fall since their first year. Great racing, fair pricing, and lot to do.

Barbecueboy
11-03-2018, 09:57 AM
Plain and simple.......a racing pioneer in my area once said:

"A racer is a racer, and a racer's gonna race"!

Exactly.......#1 reason why the sport in some fashion will always be around.

I'm good with all of it.

t3r3e3
11-03-2018, 10:26 AM
With all due respect, the worst purse in dirt racing is the Chili Bowl. 10k to win for a race that is called the Super Bowl of midget racing, drawing 250-300 cars every year. Drivers from asphalt, lates, sprints, etc all show up. Winners list is a who’s who of open wheel racing. Garbage purse for a race of that magnitude.

Illtsate32
11-03-2018, 10:51 AM
No disrespect to anyone, but when we raced we went to race for the competition and glory. Money was secondary. i know racing for a living in this day and age is a different story, and a shame at that...

Illtsate32
11-03-2018, 10:52 AM
Ya the chili bowl shoyuld pay 50k. Who promotes or puts on the event? Wonder what kind of profit they turn?...

MI Dirt Fan
11-03-2018, 11:38 AM
Sometimes the win itself is more prestigious than the payout. The World 100 is an example. The Chili Bowl. Even the the Duel in the Desert IMCA race at the Las Vegas dirt track. Only pays $7,777 but a couple hundred cars give or take show up.

They don't remember you for the x amount of dollars you won only what event you won.

TUTY
11-03-2018, 02:23 PM
Only 1 guys wins the $100,000,$50,000,$30,000 that some of the bigger races pay. The rest of the purse is similar. 2 Night $20,000 win shows pay nothing Night 1 and $20,000 Night 2 and about $1000 To Start. This one pays $24,000 To Win over 2 nights.

RaceEngineer
11-03-2018, 10:20 PM
No disrespect to anyone, but when we raced we went to race for the competition and glory. Money was secondary. i know racing for a living in this day and age is a different story, and a shame at that...15th place is neither glorious nor a way to pay the bills.

CIRF
11-03-2018, 11:28 PM
Actually The Chili Bowl draws more like 350 to 370 cars and sells out the 15,000 seats for what is now 6 nights. 85% of all the tickets sold are bought by people outside of the state of Oklahoma. It's not only the Super Bowl of midget racing, it's the Super Bowl of all dirt racing, with deference to The Knoxville Nationals.

Reason being is that winning it will literally make a drivers' career that hasn't already made it and drivers such as Christopher Bell, Tony Stewart and Kyle Larson (if he ever wins it) that have made it want it on their resume' since it is a legacy maker. The guys that win The Chili Bowl don't give a fat rats ass about the money. Winning it put McCreadie, Donnie Beechler and Billy Boat, among others, on the map. Winning it was the reason McCreadie got a NASCAR ride. Same goes for Kevin Swindell X 4.

Races such as The Chili Bowl and The Knoxville Nationals (the real one that's run in August) transcend money, although Knoxville is the largest winners payout for a yearly event in dirt racing, by far.

Just for the record the promoter of The Chili Bowl is Emmett Hahn. He said at a question and answer session at The Zink Ranch last January during Chili Bowl week that the rental alone for the Expo Center building is over a quarter of a million. That doesn't include all the labor and equipment hire to build the track, erect and disassemble the stands, clean up following the conclusion or the insurance and security. Emmett and Co. know how to run a show the size of The Chili Bowl and they make a good buck doing it. Not everyone could pull that deal off.

spiderma4
11-04-2018, 01:53 AM
Actually The Chili Bowl draws more like 350 to 370 cars and sells out the 15,000 seats for what is now 6 nights. 85% of all the tickets sold are bought by people outside of the state of Oklahoma. It's not only the Super Bowl of midget racing, it's the Super Bowl of all dirt racing, with deference to The Knoxville Nationals.

Reason being is that winning it will literally make a drivers' career that hasn't already made it and drivers such as Christopher Bell, Tony Stewart and Kyle Larson (if he ever wins it) that have made it want it on their resume' since it is a legacy maker. The guys that win The Chili Bowl don't give a fat rats ass about the money. Winning it put McCreadie, Donnie Beechler and Billy Boat, among others, on the map. Winning it was the reason McCreadie got a NASCAR ride. Same goes for Kevin Swindell X 4.

Races such as The Chili Bowl and The Knoxville Nationals (the real one that's run in August) transcend money, although Knoxville is the largest winners payout for a yearly event in dirt racing, by far.

Just for the record the promoter of The Chili Bowl is Emmett Hahn. He said at a question and answer session at The Zink Ranch last January during Chili Bowl week that the rental alone for the Expo Center building is over a quarter of a million. That doesn't include all the labor and equipment hire to build the track, erect and disassemble the stands, clean up following the conclusion or the insurance and security. Emmett and Co. know how to run a show the size of The Chili Bowl and they make a good buck doing it. Not everyone could pull that deal off.

didn't epj get over 200,000 at the million race? thats alittle more to win than Knoxville. if they r paying that much for rent those first few years they had too losesome major money

CIRF
11-04-2018, 07:58 AM
didn't epj get over 200,000 at the million race? thats alittle more to win than Knoxville. if they r paying that much for rent those first few years they had too losesome major money
When we're talking Knoxville Nationals we're talking about an elite and iconic annual event that has been around for nearly 60 years. If this "Million" race gimmick is still around in 6 or 7 years and is a stand alone benchmark event in dirt racing then we'll talk. Even then it won't be in a class with The Chili Bowl. Some of the best and most highly regarded drivers in the world want to win The Chili Bowl, not for the money, but for the prestige of being one of a very select and elite group of drivers that owns a Golden Driller. It's a career maker/legacy maker type of victory that elite drivers want desperately to have on their final resume' even if it paid only black eyes and a split lip!

TerryM
11-04-2018, 08:01 AM
Where else are they going to race in November?

Josh Bayko
11-04-2018, 08:18 AM
Where else are they going to race in November?

The 24 hours of EAMS.

kidrock
11-04-2018, 08:37 AM
When we're talking Knoxville Nationals we're talking about an elite and iconic annual event that has been around for nearly 60 years. If this "Million" race gimmick is still around in 6 or 7 years and is a stand alone benchmark event in dirt racing then we'll talk. Even then it won't be in a class with The Chili Bowl. Some of the best and most highly regarded drivers in the world want to win The Chili Bowl, not for the money, but for the prestige of being one of a very select and elite group of drivers that owns a Golden Driller. It's a career maker/legacy maker type of victory that elite drivers want desperately to have on their final resume' even if it paid only black eyes and a split lip!

I thought gimmicks were only in Nascar lol

dch191
11-04-2018, 08:43 AM

How’s a race that pays $100k+ and that paid more to win than any other dirt race this year a gimmick?

CIRF
11-04-2018, 10:59 AM
I thought gimmicks were only in Nascar lol

They were only in NASCAR, Kid................until someone got the idea to hype an event as a million dollar payout that didn't even approach half that amount. If that ain't a gimmick then I reckon the definition of the word is unclear as is applied here! LOL! If the pre-race hype had been "we'll payout whatever amount we can get fans, drivers, car owners and sponsors, etc., to donate", which ended up being $405,879.00, then gimmick would perhaps have been a bit less applicable.

When Earl Baltes hyped a dirt late model race as The Eldora Million the A-main, in fact, paid $1,175,450.00 with a million dolllars being paid to Donnie Moran for winning the race.
A few years later when Earl hyped a wingless 410 sprint car event as The MOPAR Million the total purse was, in fact, $1,000,000.00. Not even a smidgen of ambiguity was contained in the hype of either of those races.

But, back to the point that was made earlier, which was that the ultimate garbage purse (someone else's words, not mine) is paid at an event that boasts very impressive attendance (15,000+ X 6 nights = 90,000+) and a huge car count (350 to 375 cars). The moral of the story: it's not the purse that compels drivers and car owners, it's the prestige, honor and national notoriety that comes with winning.

ImCryn2
11-04-2018, 11:03 AM
Maybe I'm the dumb one here, but didn't they have a redraw? If so, how is that a straight up format?

hucktyson
11-04-2018, 11:06 AM
The redraw was for the feature only once the track slowed down and widened out. And it was the top 6 redrawing ... after they are already locked In

Highside Hustler25
11-04-2018, 11:11 AM
Their are a handful of races that are not defined by their purse. Some pay big and some do not.

Daytona
Indy
Pikes Peak
Le Mans
Chilli Bowl
Clarksville
Isle of Man

all races that it's about puting your name on the trophy. although a couple of em pay pretty well.

93Nelson
11-04-2018, 11:16 AM
Real racers will just race.

Some of you should know that there are people outside of this forum that will go to any race and enjoy it and not b!tch about it like these forum "die hards".

Just go to races and enjoy yourself. Not that hard.

dirtcrazy4u
11-04-2018, 12:23 PM
Funny. Me included at times, have all made comments about the costs of racing. A weather weekend which was not the best. A showing of fans that impressed me. Yes, you see the top 3 divisions in dirt racing. We can all complain but the big shows are drawing the fans. Your local speedway racing is all but dead. So why not, save and go have a good time we're you no the stars will b

chupp n bloomer fan
11-04-2018, 01:18 PM
Their are a handful of races that are not defined by their purse. Some pay big and some do not.

Daytona
Indy
Pikes Peak
Le Mans
Chilli Bowl
Clarksville
Isle of Man

all races that it's about puting your name on the trophy. although a couple of em pay pretty well.I’d add The World 100, you mean the Toilet Bowl Classic for Clarksville?

chupp n bloomer fan
11-04-2018, 01:22 PM
They were only in NASCAR, Kid................until someone got the idea to hype an event as a million dollar payout that didn't even approach half that amount. If that ain't a gimmick then I reckon the definition of the word is unclear as is applied here! LOL! If the pre-race hype had been "we'll payout whatever amount we can get fans, drivers, car owners and sponsors, etc., to donate", which ended up being $405,879.00, then gimmick would perhaps have been a bit less applicable.

When Earl Baltes hyped a dirt late model race as The Eldora Million the A-main, in fact, paid $1,175,450.00 with a million dolllars being paid to Donnie Moran for winning the race.
A few years later when Earl hyped a wingless 410 sprint car event as The MOPAR Million the total purse was, in fact, $1,000,000.00. Not even a smidgen of ambiguity was contained in the hype of either of those races.

But, back to the point that was made earlier, which was that the ultimate garbage purse (someone else's words, not mine) is paid at an event that boasts very impressive attendance (15,000+ X 6 nights = 90,000+) and a huge car count (350 to 375 cars). The moral of the story: it's not the purse that compels drivers and car owners, it's the prestige, honor and national notoriety that comes with winning.While it can be considered a gimmick, it’s a start. And it paid very well. Though a name change I would do, unless he can hit that million mark.

Personally, the rock situation, dirt/clay situation needs fixed above all else. I won’t go there till then. And it’s only about an hour and a half from me.

I'd like to hit the Chili Bowl, Knoxville, Williams Grove, etc. A few others, but them for sure. The Charlotte World Finals would be another.

Highside Hustler25
11-04-2018, 02:04 PM
Yes and yes. Erb Jr. has 2 porcelain trophy's and they are the pride of his trophy room.

Clayton_Wetter
11-04-2018, 02:21 PM

But they don't want to win it enough to foot the bill. Many are getting a free ride.

Kwd1253
11-04-2018, 02:45 PM

Daytona
Indy
Pikes Peak
Le Mans
Chilli Bowl
Clarksville
Isle of Man

all races that it's about puting your name on the trophy. although a couple of em pay pretty well.
Don't forget about the

Baja 1000
Dakar Rally
Monaco

Highside Hustler25
11-04-2018, 03:00 PM
Don't forget about the

Baja 1000
Dakar Rally
Monaco

Yep. The list goes on and on when you look at all the different forms of racing.

CIRF
11-05-2018, 08:28 AM
But they don't want to win it enough to foot the bill. Many are getting a free ride.

Who would you blame for that, Clay? Keith Kunz is on record as saying there are but 3 drivers who can get a ride in his equipment on the spur of the moment with a mere phone call. Two of them are prominent NASCAR drivers and the other is widely known and has spent a season or two participating in a NASCAR truck. Why, prey tell, would any one of the three (and there are probably a few more who could get a ride in KKM equipment at The Chili Bowl) want to attempt to win the biggest dirt race of the year driving non KKM equipment when there is an iron clad, tried and true winning car waiting for them at the snap of their finger?

Now, I would completely agree that in a perfect world Larson, Bell and Rico would bankroll their own Chili Bowl rides and some deserving up and coming young drivers would get a chance in the KKM stuff and show what they can do. That is the case to a certain degree now but we all know there is some great young talent out there that never gets an opportunity to showcase it on the worlds biggest dirt racing stage.

hucktyson
11-05-2018, 09:03 AM
Why would Keith kunz waste his time and money on a driver who has not proven they can win with a winning car ??? He doesn’t have time or patience for that when capable guys are available

CIRF
11-05-2018, 12:06 PM
You make a good point, huck. Especially when it comes to crown jewel events such as The Chili Bowl and Turkey Night Grand Prix.

I'm not positive exactly what point CW is making but I will speculate that he thinks Larson, Bell and Rico, among a few others, should be bankrolling their own midget rides to open up seats for some lesser known midget talent. If I'm off base I'm sure Clay will sternly correct me! LOL!

Clayton_Wetter
11-05-2018, 12:37 PM
No disrespect to anyone, but when we raced we went to race for the competition and glory. Money was secondary. i know racing for a living in this day and age is a different story, and a shame at that...

Till you got caught giving your racing turtle speed!!!!! :):):)

Clayton_Wetter
11-05-2018, 12:39 PM
Yes and yes. Erb Jr. has 2 porcelain trophy's and they are the pride of his trophy room.

Oh come on now. A silly toilet lid for beating the locals????? hahahahahaaa

latemodelman
11-05-2018, 05:55 PM
Its not all format it has to do with not having many races around and the season done. Also weather is a big factor.

Krooser
11-05-2018, 07:28 PM
I won the first race I ever entered... 1970 at Hales Corners, WI. Paid $3.60... no I didn't keep the check I cashed it cuz I needed race car parts (from the junkyard)...

ZERO25
11-05-2018, 07:33 PM
I won the first race I ever entered... 1970 at Hales Corners, WI. Paid $3.60... no I didn't keep the check I cashed it cuz I needed race car parts (from the junkyard)...

Feed for the dinosaur! :)

zyoung25
11-05-2018, 07:44 PM
Oh come on now. A silly toilet lid for beating the locals????? hahahahahaaa

Lid? He got the whole John.....2 of them.

spiderma4
11-06-2018, 02:06 AM

I was pointing out that u said Knoxville winner made more than anyother race by far, wasn't comparing the history or anything else.

hucktyson
11-06-2018, 04:17 AM
I guess it’s in the eye of the beholder. I will never see Charlotte in that light unless it starts paying 30k I’d more to win

racincowboy02
11-06-2018, 04:26 AM
The format is just like any other WOO late model race that they have. The only difference is that they hold the sprint cars and the big block modifieds here as well. This is the final event of the season for the WRG racing bodies. Its just like Lucas and the DTWC

CIRF
11-06-2018, 08:47 AM
I was pointing out that u said Knoxville winner made more than anyother race by far, wasn't comparing the history or anything else.

Factually you are 100% correct. Period. Just as the Eldora Million and the Mopar Million were factually legitimate million dollar races but they were an anomaly even though they were promoted and organized by one of the best promotional organizations in the history of racing. However, even those two events, as successful as they were, can't be compared to long established annual shows just as the (less than half) "million" of this past summer can't be compared, as well. At least not yet. If that doesn't make any sense to ya' it's not my fault! LOL!