PDA

View Full Version : If you could have a national late model series race at 2 tracks neither have been to?

HoosierDirtFan
11-13-2018, 05:45 PM
If you could have a national late model series race at 2 different tracks neither WOO or LUCAS have been too; where would the 2 races be at?

Dlmfan123
11-13-2018, 05:48 PM
Thunder mountain brookeville pa...

Barbecueboy
11-13-2018, 07:09 PM
Dublin NC and Boone Iowa.( they may have raced at Boone in some form already , just couldn't remember.)

zyoung25
11-13-2018, 07:23 PM
I'd like to see brushcreek get a show from either national touring series. They had a outlaw show years ago with on the old configuration.

fastford
11-13-2018, 07:24 PM
I think lucas has been there a time or to , but i would like to see lucas or outlaws at talladega short track....

Josh Bayko
11-13-2018, 07:35 PM
Woodhull
Marion Center

CPope84
11-13-2018, 07:44 PM
Springfield Raceway

KAOS
11-13-2018, 07:58 PM
Thunder Hill Speedway Mayetta, KS
Eagle Raceway Eagle, NE

Mike Honcho
11-13-2018, 07:59 PM
Tricounty Racetrack and Princeton, WV

huskerdirt
11-13-2018, 08:18 PM
Eagle Raceway Eagle, NE

Ditto!!!!

Eagle had one WoO race back in 2004 or 2005. Now, they have one SLMR race per year and those boys put on a helluva show. I’ve been to thunderhill twice, that place is badass. Definitely one of those underrated tracks.

AllenK
11-13-2018, 08:26 PM
I always thought it would be cool to have a show at Devil's Bowl Speedway in Mesquite,Texas. It has a great history,and it has a very unique layout. You race uphill on the backstretch,and downhill on the front. Pretty darn fast too. The TMS dirt track would be good also. HAT raced there for two years,but not WOO or Lucas.

Chris Thomason
11-13-2018, 08:38 PM
Moulton is an awesome little 1/3 mile. Management was on the up tic with Ricky Spurgeon but tanked again after him...my favorite place but haven't been there much last few years.

https://youtu.be/K-5iRxP_TQ8

mccreadiefan39
11-13-2018, 08:42 PM
New Egypt NJ
Oswego Speedway NY (Super Dirt Week)

brsteg
11-13-2018, 09:01 PM
Return to Tri-State Speedway Haubstadt

fryefan
11-13-2018, 09:53 PM
Eagle Raceway Eagle, NE

Totally agree. Those would be awesome shows.

GrocMax
11-13-2018, 11:19 PM
Neither has been to Dirt Track at Texas Motor Speedway, big wide long 3/8-4/10ish, big stands, nice facility, used twice a year. TMS has had lates but not open lates, SUPR rules, still a good show.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-13-2018, 11:31 PM
Wythe speedway-va they had them yrs ago.

Lancaster speedway-sc

TackyTracker
11-14-2018, 01:24 AM
Vegas & Haubstat

Drop Shock
11-14-2018, 02:36 AM
Greenville Mississippi

bullring
11-14-2018, 06:37 AM
Spoon River Speedway

RaceEngineer
11-14-2018, 06:50 AM
Neither has been to Dirt Track at Texas Motor Speedway, big wide long 3/8-4/10ish, big stands, nice facility, used twice a year. TMS has had lates but not open lates, SUPR rules, still a good show.I think they had some big races there when it first opened. It was rough as heck. Maybe Extreme Series?

kazual
11-14-2018, 06:53 AM
Good picks with Eagle NE and Thunderhill KS. Throw Oskaloosa IA and Spoon River IL in the mix, never happen but fun to think about.

dirtcrazy4u
11-14-2018, 07:18 AM
2 PA tracks. Grandview, which is a modified stable. The other is the 1/4 mile bullring Path Valley Speedway and there high banks. Take all the aero crap and spread bore 60K motors and toss them out the window. You mite actually find a guy that could drive a car....

Highside Hustler25
11-14-2018, 07:22 AM
Spoon River Speedway

This ^^^^^^^

Jim11h
11-14-2018, 09:44 AM
Kokomo Indiana or gas city & moler or Fremont Speedway Ohio. Be an awesome weekend

MI Dirt Fan
11-14-2018, 09:57 AM
Kokomo Indiana or gas city & moler or Fremont Speedway Ohio. Be an awesome weekend

Good thing Lucas will be at Kokomo in 2019.

jbinlincoln
11-14-2018, 09:58 AM
Eagle, NE
Adams County (Corning, IA)
The gigantic West Liberty half mile
Boone, IA
Devils Bowl, Mesquite, TX
Salina, OK

Sorry. Couldn't narrow it to two tracks.

MI Dirt Fan
11-14-2018, 09:58 AM
Take all the aero crap and spread bore 60K motors and toss them out the window. You mite actually find a guy that could drive a car....
That doesn't make sense.

Josh Bayko
11-14-2018, 10:15 AM
2 PA tracks. Grandview, which is a modified stable. The other is the 1/4 mile bullring Path Valley Speedway and there high banks. Take all the aero crap and spread bore 60K motors and toss them out the window. You mite actually find a guy that could drive a car....

Grandview ran the WoO lms back around 08 or so.

EDIT: It was 2009.

MI Dirt Fan
11-14-2018, 10:23 AM
Eagle, NE
Adams County (Corning, IA)
The gigantic West Liberty half mile
Boone, IA
Devils Bowl, Mesquite, TX
Salina, OK

Sorry. Couldn't narrow it to two tracks.
WoO was at Salina in 2017. Brandon Sheppard was the winner.

GrocMax
11-14-2018, 10:27 AM
Track prep and weather woes has been an issue for TMS dirt track. Early spring and late fall scheduling. 11000 seats, paved pits, nice underutilized place. Devil's Bowl used to run close to SUPR rules lates with a near full field, class died out around 2010.

JCSullivan00
11-14-2018, 10:30 AM
I'm pretty sure one of the big series did go to Texas. I remember seeing a picture of Scott James on two wheels from there.

MI Dirt Fan
11-14-2018, 10:33 AM
The only two tracks I've seen WoO go to in Texas is Battleground Speedway and Lonestar speedway. I'm not sure about Lucas.

rickybrown1952
11-14-2018, 10:40 AM
Poplar bluff speedway

Josh Bayko
11-14-2018, 10:45 AM
I'm pretty sure one of the big series did go to Texas. I remember seeing a picture of Scott James on two wheels from there.

Both series have gone to Lonestar, and the WoO also went to Battleground, but it doesn't look like either have ever gone to the Dirt track at Texas.

over4T
11-14-2018, 11:37 AM
West coast bias admittedly but Silver Dollar Speedway in Chico for a heavy track and Bakersfield Speedway for some slick stuff. California is a real drought for LMs and would go nuts for them with 'bout a dozen varieties of sprint cars out here. Sure won't happen but it's nice to dream.

bullittwrench
11-14-2018, 11:56 AM
BAPS Speedway, PA. Formerly Susquehanna

dirtcrazy4u
11-14-2018, 01:09 PM
Thanks Bayko. I did not know the WoO has been to grandview. Wonder why, or have they, not gone back. Great track.

M1 dirt fan. In response to it not making sense. You've never seen the 2 tracks. Path Valley is a 1/4 high banked little joint that is a racey a place as anywhere in the country.

stewart fan
11-14-2018, 01:20 PM
Lucas to i55 would be great

Josh Bayko
11-14-2018, 01:38 PM
Thanks Bayko. I did not know the WoO has been to grandview. Wonder why, or have they, not gone back. Great track.

M1 dirt fan. In response to it not making sense. You've never seen the 2 tracks. Path Valley is a 1/4 high banked little joint that is a racey a place as anywhere in the country.

I'm gonna guess they have not gone back to Grandview because it probably didn't make much, if any, money. It's shame, too, because it's a really cool little track, one of my favorites growing up.

MI Dirt Fan
11-14-2018, 01:41 PM

The part that didn't make sense was the claim a driver isnt a real driver without having an aero advantage and wide bore engine at thier disposal.

AllenK
11-14-2018, 02:04 PM
Hav A Tampa went to TMS in 2000 and 2001. My wife and I and my Dad went in 2000. The race was held the same weekend as the gigantic Pate swap meet for antique car parts,and it was cool to do both. The track was rough the year we went,but worse the next year I believe. There's a famous picture of Rick Eckert from that event all the way off the ground,or close to it. The facilities were amazing though! As a side note, I took my then 13 year old cousin to see the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and the Foo Fighters the Monday night after that weekend. It was a great show,but I'll bet I couldn't drive to Dallas,walk around a NASCAR facility all day,go to the races two nights,drive home,and go to a late concert the next night without feeling it now.

I've never gone to the SUPR shows at TMS,but there are videos of them on Youtube. They're pretty darn good races. SUPR always allowed open cars,but gave spec engines a weight and spoiler break.

Devil's Bowl has held some SUPR shows in the past,and the ones I attended were pretty good. They ran a limited class there in the past,but they were still pretty speedy. Of course,the track has a storied history with the WOO Sprints.

Lone Star near Kilgore is a nice facility,but despite changes just still doesn't have very good races for late models. Before they shortened the track it could be BAD fast. The cars could really get up a head of steam on those long straights. Went to a SUPR show in 1999 after they had re clayed the track. The cars were rolling that night.

One Man Gang
11-14-2018, 02:51 PM
I wish one or both would come back to North Alabama Speedway

Barbecueboy
11-14-2018, 06:07 PM

I would love to check out path valley.......a buddy of mine races his mod there on occasion and has very complimentary things to say about the track.

rickybrown1952
11-14-2018, 06:23 PM
Lucas to i55 would be greatMan I wish that would happen

GrocMax
11-14-2018, 07:36 PM
AllenK- Re: TMS I missed those HAT dates, I seem to remember the facility had a jackrabbit start, they had a couple shows then shut down and reconfigued and reopened a couple times. WoO sprints have only run there a couple times. Drainage issues over the tunnel ensure a monster hole in turn 2 if it rains good prior to an event. Shame they've had bad luck with weather and track prep issues because as you saw its a top notch facility with easy freeway access near a very large metro area.

dirt junkie
11-14-2018, 07:58 PM
Tri State Speedway Haubstadt IN

Thunderbowl Speedway Tulare CA

fryefan
11-14-2018, 08:20 PM
Good picks with Eagle NE and Thunderhill KS. Throw Oskaloosa IA and Spoon River IL in the mix, never happen but fun to think about.

Donnellson, IA would be a better choice than Osky (it is much racier), though it would be good to see them at Osky as well.

AllenK
11-14-2018, 09:35 PM
AllenK- Re: TMS I missed those HAT dates, I seem to remember the facility had a jackrabbit start, they had a couple shows then shut down and reconfigued and reopened a couple times. WoO sprints have only run there a couple times. Drainage issues over the tunnel ensure a monster hole in turn 2 if it rains good prior to an event. Shame they've had bad luck with weather and track prep issues because as you saw its a top notch facility with easy freeway access near a very large metro area.

Yes,it's potential has never fully been realized. Texas is a huge market wherein late model shows are just practically non existant. I'm glad some regional series have popped up over there.

Cotton Bowl Speedway in Paige would be cool also. It seems like a good track as well,and close to Austin to boot.

wreck
11-15-2018, 06:59 AM
+1 to Greenville, MS, Springfield, MO, and North Alabama, and I could add the old track at Muskogee, OK, which had HAT events in the late 90s. Also ArkLaTex Speedway needs another LM show (Lucas Oil had a race there a few years ago). I'd like to see the national tours at Crowley's Ridge Raceway. Probably won't be enough seating but the race would be a barnburner. Also, Timberline Speedway in Corley, TX would be a good place if they add a little seating.

kazual
11-15-2018, 08:10 AM
Agree Fryefan, Donellson is very racy and been the site of some great MLRA events. And VanG runs one of the most efficient shows anywhere. Be fun though to see what the open motor cars could do on the bigger track. I’m generally not a fan of half miles but Osky is an exception.

intel8
11-15-2018, 08:20 AM
Donnellson is a very good track, diamond in the rough for sure. West Union Ia. would be a good choice for a big event, lots of side by side racing.

PushinTheLimit
11-15-2018, 08:37 AM
I'd love to see either WoO or Lucas come to Crossville Speedway in TN. When prepped right, you can run 2-3 wide all night long. We just ran a race at Tri-County Race Track in NC and that would be a fun little track to see the big guys run as well.

chupp n bloomer fan
11-15-2018, 09:03 AM
2 PA tracks. Grandview, which is a modified stable. The other is the 1/4 mile bullring Path Valley Speedway and there high banks. Take all the aero crap and spread bore 60K motors and toss them out the window. You mite actually find a guy that could drive a car....Path Valley for sure.

And Midway Speedway in Crooksville, Ohio.

chupp n bloomer fan
11-15-2018, 09:04 AM
Cannot remember if it was a Appalachian race or what it was, but a recent race they had there, think the one Covert won, really good race. And they get good car counts.

To think the 410’s have raced there too. Wow

riddle28
11-15-2018, 09:09 AM
moulton and north alabama would be the ultimate 2 day show for me

FastEd95
11-15-2018, 12:09 PM
Donnellson is a very good track, diamond in the rough for sure. West Union Ia. would be a good choice for a big event, lots of side by side racing. These are my choices, as well...two of Iowa's best.

chupp n bloomer fan
11-15-2018, 02:18 PM
Hav A Tampa went to TMS in 2000 and 2001. My wife and I and my Dad went in 2000. The race was held the same weekend as the gigantic Pate swap meet for antique car parts,and it was cool to do both. The track was rough the year we went,but worse the next year I believe. There's a famous picture of Rick Eckert from that event all the way off the ground,or close to it. The facilities were amazing though! As a side note, I took my then 13 year old cousin to see the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and the Foo Fighters the Monday night after that weekend. It was a great show,but I'll bet I couldn't drive to Dallas,walk around a NASCAR facility all day,go to the races two nights,drive home,and go to a late concert the next night without feeling it now.

I've never gone to the SUPR shows at TMS,but there are videos of them on Youtube. They're pretty darn good races. SUPR always allowed open cars,but gave spec engines a weight and spoiler break.

Devil's Bowl has held some SUPR shows in the past,and the ones I attended were pretty good. They ran a limited class there in the past,but they were still pretty speedy. Of course,the track has a storied history with the WOO Sprints.

Lone Star near Kilgore is a nice facility,but despite changes just still doesn't have very good races for late models. Before they shortened the track it could be BAD fast. The cars could really get up a head of steam on those long straights. Went to a SUPR show in 1999 after they had re clayed the track. The cars were rolling that night.Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers, that’d be a helluva show.

BirkyTime15B
11-15-2018, 02:58 PM
Arizona Speedway

WisWildManFan
11-15-2018, 03:01 PM
Talladega short track on a cup weekend

JimmyOinthe20fan
11-15-2018, 03:47 PM
Put the dirt back on Bristol, 200,000 to win, 5000 to start. Passing points in heats sets the field. Money maker!! Do the same with Nashville on the 5/8 mile, and hang on!! The larger crown jewel events that I have attended all appear to be doing good filling the stands. Great opportunity to grow the sport and bring new fans that may have never been to a crown jewel dirt late model race.

AllenK
11-15-2018, 06:13 PM
Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers, that’d be a helluva show.

CNB,it was awesome. My cousin and his wife paid for our tickets so they wouldn't have to go,lol. Both bands put on a high energy show,but the Foos tore it up. Dave Grohl ran out of the auditorium and out into the concession area and back in and never missed a beat! It was the loudest show I've ever been to. The Chili Peppers brought out the FF for an encore. My ears are still ringing from the ending bass/feedback note of the show. One of the wildest and rowdiest shows ever also. I got to help security sling a guy around. It was great.

I would go to Bristol. Got knocked out of going last time. My wife and I have wanted to return to the Smokies so we could make that a part of the vacation also.

We have a great little track in Arkansas called Diamond Park Speedway. I would love to see a major show there,but it's a pipe dream. The facilities are pretty nice,but I think they would get overwhelmed by WOO or Lucas. It's a fast track,and it's smooth as glass as well. The groove has been right around the bottom for quite some time now though. There's room to race all over it.

t3r3e3
11-15-2018, 08:40 PM
Tri County Speedway in Brasstown NC

and

Path Valley Speedway in PA.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
11-15-2018, 09:14 PM
Has anybody figured out roughly how much it cost to bring in dirt by the trkload and labor to level it. Its got to be godly expencive

TackyTracker
11-16-2018, 12:52 AM
I'll guess 400 truck loads.. Not sure how much that would be

chupp n bloomer fan
11-16-2018, 03:53 AM
I went the second year. It was not a money maker, why they quit doing it. Did I enjoy it, yes. But it is so fast with so many G’s they were breaking things they don’t break. They implemented special rules just for this race. Not cost effective for anyone.

I loved it, but the cost to the Bristol staff and racers was/is too much. Cost of hauling in and working the clay plus the barrier between the track and the clay. And the racers having to use different rims, axels, etc.

chupp n bloomer fan
11-16-2018, 03:54 AM
Man that’s awesome. Would not pass that up for sure.

Pennsboro23
11-16-2018, 07:36 AM
Ohio Valley Speedway

wreck
11-16-2018, 01:03 PM
AllenK, Diamond Park would be really racy if they would even out the banking and get rid of the crown in the middle groove. They'd race all the way out to the wall if they did that.

Krooser
11-16-2018, 02:06 PM
Start 40 cars on the mile at Springfield or DuQuoin

brsteg
11-16-2018, 04:50 PM

LOL.. you might get 18 to show up.

Josh Bayko
11-16-2018, 06:07 PM

Late models really dislike miles.

Late_Model_Mark
11-16-2018, 06:33 PM
All 3 of these cool tracks in California, Bakersfield Speedway, Perris Auto Speedway, and Santa Maria Speedway.

Late Model Mark
TST Announcer

AllenK
11-16-2018, 08:22 PM
AllenK, Diamond Park would be really racy if they would even out the banking and get rid of the crown in the middle groove. They'd race all the way out to the wall if they did that.

Yes, I always figured changing the banking or a slight re-configuring of the layout might help. Present owner does or did dirt work for a living so he could make it happen. Getting owners to listen ain't easy sometimes though. Diamond Park is fast. When it's hooked up,it's hooked up. More so than any other track Ive seen,video does that place no justice as far as speed goes. It could be such an awesome place if they made the changes you suggested!

Chupp n Bloomer Fan, the concert was held at the infamous Barton Coliseum in Little Rock at the State Fairgrounds. The Alltell/Verizon arena had just opened across the river,but they had it at Barton. That has always been one rowdy place,and it's right in one of the roughest neighborhoods in Arkansas.