PDA

View Full Version : rev limiter on entry

riddle28
11-21-2018, 11:54 AM
i know this probably doesnt apply to DLM since they enter the corner so much harder, but what is the reasoning on pavement late models being on the chip for so many car lengths getting in the corner?

TheJet-09
11-21-2018, 12:33 PM
Only speculating, but maybe they have an RPM rule (chip so to speak) and don't want to sacrifice gear off the corner?

7uptruckracer
12-11-2018, 11:13 AM
RPM rule for NASCAR sanction LMSC. The races are so much longer next time listen to how long you hear it by the latter stages of the race you don’t hear it anymore but you still need the power off the corner. Comparatively LMSC are 3100-3150lbs on as of 2019 all Crate/Spec motors so low HP. They gear it for off the corner and consistency some use the chip as a gauge to entry speed it can have a few benefits for entry to cut zone

TheJet-09
12-11-2018, 07:26 PM
I'd never claim to be an engine guy, so what effect could being on the limiter too long have on an engine? I ask because I once went to a track that drove a lot bigger than what I was geared for, so I was on the chip for about half of the straight during hot laps. I changed gear for qualifying, but never made it to the heat because my balancer broke.

Maybe something about harmonics, or whatever term would be appropriate?

billetbirdcage
12-11-2018, 08:21 PM
I'd never claim to be an engine guy, so what effect could being on the limiter too long have on an engine? I ask because I once went to a track that drove a lot bigger than what I was geared for, so I was on the chip for about half of the straight during hot laps. I changed gear for qualifying, but never made it to the heat because my balancer broke.

Maybe something about harmonics, or whatever term would be appropriate?

You will get varying opinions on it, some say it's not all that harmful to the engine and others say it's very harmful. When I say some people, I'm talking top engine guys like Cup, prostock and other elite engine builders.

Jking24
12-12-2018, 06:40 AM
I agree with billet it's some what of a loaded question. When your hitting it for instance. if your geared way to high for the track and then the car hits the limiter while still accelerating at a high rate vs just running a little too much and the car touching it towards the end will have different effects on the engine. Also where is it set in relation to you engines safe operating speed for your components. Also new box vs older style box. Alot if the newer msd box's hit the chip much softer. It doesn't even sound like it's on the chip sometimes just doesn't seem to turn any more rpm