PDA

View Full Version : LR Spacer?

Kromulous
12-03-2018, 11:54 AM
I see more and more people running them, whats the effect?

I know its been stated on here many times, just didn't find it today.

Also, adding one to the LF, would that make a car steer in on entry a little better?

Thanks, Krom

Merry Christmas all in the Tech Section as well !

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-03-2018, 12:10 PM

Also, adding one to the LF, would that make a car steer in on entry a little better?

Thanks, Krom

I honestly believe it mostly got started because Rocket had a lot of orange car rears to sell when it was a flop. They had a shorter lr axle tube.

powerslide
12-03-2018, 01:01 PM
I honestly believe it mostly got started because Rocket had a lot of orange car rears to sell when it was a flop. They had a shorter lr axle tube.

You trying to take another 4m vacation? Lol

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-03-2018, 01:21 PM

Thanks, Krom

On the rare occasion I got to race at the old Lawrenceburg, IN 1/4 mile (RIP) I used to run one on the LF. I felt it helped the car rotate. It might have been in my head.

Kromulous
12-03-2018, 03:07 PM
I would think the LR would take weight off the LR, looser exit, more RR drive. ?

I notice on a lot of Bloomquist chassis that he uses a lot of spacers, LR, RR, and RF.

I plan on tinkering with these a little this year, seems like a good way to make small adjustments on the fly.

RW57
12-03-2018, 06:08 PM
On my car 2in spacer takes out 15## of bite.

ZERO25
12-03-2018, 08:05 PM
I would think the LR would take weight off the LR, looser exit, more RR drive. ?

I notice on a lot of Bloomquist chassis that he uses a lot of spacers, LR, RR, and RF.

I plan on tinkering with these a little this year, seems like a good way to make small adjustments on the fly.

Just the opposite. It makes more lr drive, but you have to add the bite back in. The spring feels softer because the tire is farther away.

Jim11h
12-03-2018, 10:44 PM
Simple explanation:
LR: tightens whole turn
RR: loosens whole turn
LF: loosens entry
RF: tightens entry

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-04-2018, 06:37 AM
Just the opposite. It makes more lr drive, but you have to add the bite back in. The spring feels softer because the tire is farther away.

You get the lr more to the left of the car's CG also. This tightens on throttle.

ZERO25
12-04-2018, 05:59 PM
You get the lr more to the left of the car's CG also. This tightens on throttle.

True....it was a standard adj on our blue/gray Rocket, but we just left it on at all times.

RaceEngineer
12-04-2018, 06:50 PM
We used wheel spacers a lot 30 years ago.

fastford
12-04-2018, 07:16 PM
yep , its pretty much a quick little crutch now , BUT , at the right time , can make a difference......

TeamRocket42
12-04-2018, 09:38 PM
Why do so many big teams use spacers on the left front? Anywhere from 1/4 to 1" out. Whats the purpose and theory on that?

95shaw
12-04-2018, 09:59 PM
Why do so many big teams use spacers on the left front? Anywhere from 1/4 to 1" out. Whats the purpose and theory on that?

Doesn't a great corner start at turn in?

Lf starts weight transfer at turn in, mainly. Spacers tune how much and timing.

Kromulous
12-05-2018, 11:35 AM
I have been using a 1/4" one on the LF just to help our car turn in. It seems to help, so i am contemplating a 1" spacers and also adding one to the RR, for early in the night track conditions.

Thanks for the handy list Jim11h.

Krom

Krooser
12-05-2018, 03:25 PM
Back in the 80's I used different offset wheels since our rules did not permit spacers...

Jim11h
12-06-2018, 01:46 PM
I used to use on lf early in night to turn in better, really heavy went to RR. Feature time and track slick would put on lr. This was 2" spacer. Anytime krom. I'll look thru some old setup books and see what else can find.

Matt49
12-07-2018, 01:39 PM
It's been 8 or 9 years ago that I observed a ridiculously offset wheel about to me mounted to the LR of the zero car. He was standing right there and I commented or asked (can't remember) on the wheel offset and he said it was two inches. I had never seen one before that and haven't seen one since.
This was just before a feature on a completely black slick, blown off track.

bullittwrench
12-07-2018, 03:27 PM
Isn’t his baseline 4” offs on all 4 corners?

powerslide
12-07-2018, 04:41 PM
Matt I thought that was the start of the sweet bloomquist cars when he had the two off stuff? Thought he was shortening the tubes and running more offset.