PDA

View Full Version : Questions about ppv's?

ZERO25
12-12-2018, 05:28 PM
Should/does the tracks share this revenue with the teams and drivers?

Other professional athletes salaries(not 100%) are paid by their teams through their share of the tv revenues!

brsteg
12-12-2018, 05:37 PM

Other professional athletes salaries(not 100%) are paid by their teams through their share of the tv revenues!

Yes they do. It's that thing called the purse.

rdcllk
12-12-2018, 06:32 PM
But does the purse increase with ppv?

huskerdirt
12-12-2018, 06:39 PM

The dirt racing world isn’t unionized. Plus, ppv providers don’t make that much in the end. It wouldn’t even be worth cutting a check to drivers.

Comparing the nba to the dirt world as far as revenue sharing is beyond ridiculous.

Spanky44
12-12-2018, 06:56 PM
Last I was told was pay per views were a 50/50 split. If say dirtondirt came into a track, which the owner and them had an agreement to broadcast the race, it was a split down the middle.

Now I havent heard what % is going to tracks that say are WOO sanctioned, as im sure its in the contract the race is going to be broadcasted and they get x amount. Basically have no say that dirtvision/dirtondirt cant broadcast it.

ZERO25
12-12-2018, 07:48 PM
Yes they do. It's that thing called the purse.

So, what do you call all the tickets that are sold at prof. ballgames?

brsteg
12-12-2018, 09:51 PM
So, what do you call all the tickets that are sold at prof. ballgames?

I'm less familiar with pro stick and ball, but my understanding is that players are guarenteed a salary from the team who owns and operates the venue. The venue then gets partial funding through tax dollars, tax breaks, or other incentives from the city or state to help pay costs and salaries; and ticket sales helps make up anything left over and generate profits.

So I would call that revenue.

Also TV rights are sold in some collective bargaining for NFL or MLB, which would be more like a dirtvision fastpass deal vs. stand alone PPV's. And I do not know what drivers or track owners get from dirtvision fast pass revenues. But Daryn Pittman did say that Dirtvision telecasts were very responsible for his new team (Roth) and car owner wanting to do the full WoO Sprint tour. So it's not like teams are getting nothing from it, even if not $$ directly.

But biggest difference between racing and pro stick and ball are that the track, teams, and series are all separate entities. Each trying to profit off of an event and play nice so that they all profit and can all benefit in way that they do it all again. Stick and ball would be very different if the venue didn't have a direct association with either team, the players got payed on performance alone, and the sanctioning took some off the top for providing structure and umpires. It'd be like every game played being like the Super Bowl in how you bid and then each does their own thing to promote and try to profit.

Now do purses go up as PPV's go up, not directly like Cody's Dirt Late Model Big One in August, but on the front side of things promoters can feel more confident posting bigger purses knowing there are more revenue avenues available. I'm not saying that PPV is directly related to raising purses, but some events are adding moneys, others events are being created... all while car counts, entry fees and back gate is going down for these kinds of events.

MI Dirt Fan
12-12-2018, 10:01 PM
Tv revenue and revenue sharing is where the money is for pro teams.

brsteg
12-12-2018, 10:04 PM
Tv revenue and revenue sharing is where the money is for pro teams.

And NASCAR got drunk off of it for a long time and is having and about to have an Oh S#!t moment.

kidrock
12-13-2018, 06:10 AM
I'm less familiar with pro stick and ball, but my understanding is that players are guarenteed a salary from the team who owns and operates the venue. The venue then gets partial funding through tax dollars, tax breaks, or other incentives from the city or state to help pay costs and salaries; and ticket sales helps make up anything left over and generate profits.

So I would call that revenue.

Also TV rights are sold in some collective bargaining for NFL or MLB, which would be more like a dirtvision fastpass deal vs. stand alone PPV's. And I do not know what drivers or track owners get from dirtvision fast pass revenues. But Daryn Pittman did say that Dirtvision telecasts were very responsible for his new team (Roth) and car owner wanting to do the full WoO Sprint tour. So it's not like teams are getting nothing from it, even if not $$ directly.

But biggest difference between racing and pro stick and ball are that the track, teams, and series are all separate entities. Each trying to profit off of an event and play nice so that they all profit and can all benefit in way that they do it all again. Stick and ball would be very different if the venue didn't have a direct association with either team, the players got payed on performance alone, and the sanctioning took some off the top for providing structure and umpires. It'd be like every game played being like the Super Bowl in how you bid and then each does their own thing to promote and try to profit.

Now do purses go up as PPV's go up, not directly like Cody's Dirt Late Model Big One in August, but on the front side of things promoters can feel more confident posting bigger purses knowing there are more revenue avenues available. I'm not saying that PPV is directly related to raising purses, but some events are adding moneys, others events are being created... all while car counts, entry fees and back gate is going down for these kinds of events.

Good post...………………………………… brsteg

RiffRaf67
12-13-2018, 10:41 AM
If we all start watching on PPV, Will there be enough folks actually at the track, to hold the race in the first place, so that the rest of us can watch on PPV?

brsteg
12-13-2018, 11:54 AM
If we all start watching on PPV, Will there be enough folks actually at the track, to hold the race in the first place, so that the rest of us can watch on PPV?

I think we are a long way from that; and if we control cost of attending I don't think it's a huge worry. The problem is that cost of attending is determined by forces outside of racing people... lodging folks get real greedy real quick.

We are only one year into the Fast Pass Experiment, but WoO Sprints had just as big of crowds all year, and no PPV big show seems to be hurting for people to fill the seats.

I think we've shown that PPV is a revenue adder for big events and can help create a bigger buzz.

Interestingly though, Knoxville has being doing PPV weekly shows and it's been said that it is hurting their attendance and most subs are around an hour from the track.

Now does staying home to watch the Dream PPV which is too far to attend instead of attending a weekly show at Duck River (random pick) going to hurt the sport by further hurting the weekly shows. And maybe this is what most naysayers really mean but aren't always clear. And I think as we get more mainstream and get more people's attention it could help. Coverage of the big events need to remind viewers that their is a weekly show at the track running the event, and there's probably a track close to you that runs this type of class and excitement each weekend.

I think NASCAR is a heck of a cautionary tale to be learned from in how they took the roots for granted and only chased dollars that were flooding in at one time. You have to grow with control, and not get so big that it ruins what made you great.

I think expanding PPV, getting TV's attention, and the right ad spaces and free-views could expand the number of eyes on the sport. I think it's already happening with all the hype that the Sprints are getting because of Live every race, Larson, Bell, Rico, and now big NASCAR writers are going to the Chili Bowl, the Nationals, ordering Turkey Night and the Dome race and buzzing it up on social media.

I think when the Late Model Fast Pass goes Live there will be a little cross pollination from non-late model hard cores out of curiosity of what's going on in the Sprint car side and become exposed to Late Models.

I don't think we know real effects until end of year one, but if it goes like it did for the Sprints, it could be the start of something positive.

manwplan
12-13-2018, 11:59 AM
There was a race this past year where money from the PPVs went into the purse. And half you nit wits complained about the concept and the name.

RiffRaf67
12-13-2018, 12:09 PM
Good stuff brsteg. Quote function doesnt work, but I totally agree on the nascar analogy.
Dirt needs to pay attention to what has happened there so we are not doomed to repeat it.
Getting bigger is ok, getting bigger at the expense of the core (which is all of us here) wont help any in the long run.
Gotta figure out the millennials tho and maybe PPV is the way to get thier attention for the future of our sport.

brsteg
12-13-2018, 12:24 PM
There was a race this past year where money from the PPVs went into the purse. And half you nit wits complained about the concept and the name.

I don't dislike the concept, I very much dislike the name, and will only from here forward refer to it as Cody's Dirt Late Model Big One.