PDA

View Full Version : Engine Placement

DJ-76
12-16-2018, 03:55 PM
Steel block aluminum head. Going in a Smackdown, question is where's the best place to put it. Sitting in there now high and to the left. Open to ideas. Also what's the thoughts on 007 hubs and the new Jones 3 blade 17" fan? Thanks in advance.

over4T
12-17-2018, 09:30 AM
Can't comment on where to locate your engine but, as far as I am concerned, the Jones 3 blade fan is a pretty, nicely made piece that is a waste of money. Won't even keep the temps down on an all steel 2 barreled engine ,that's in the 460 h.p range, at idle in one of our cars in the shop. Ran it one 102 degree night at the track and came in at 255. Went back to a 4 blade, not the GM 60 degree one, and dropped almost 30 degrees, same shroud, same weather.

Another dust collector shelf trophy.

billetbirdcage
12-17-2018, 10:15 AM
Engine placement:

1. Left to right is basically determined by the needed/wanted left % you desire, meaning if you're already at min weight and need more or less left % then move engine accordingly.

2. Height: This boils down to COG of the engine and total weight. Just because it's a steel block doesn't always mean it's has a lower COG then an all aluminum one. Say the idea location (like there truly is one, lol) for an all aluminum engine is STD height with no spacers and mid plate in STD holes. So if you have a steel block engine that everything is the same as the aluminum one, like crank/rod weights and everything just a 80# heavier block then yes more then likely it may need to go up as the COG is lower but also heavier on total weight. But if the engine is a small CID with a light crank/rods and not so heavy steel block, then it may need to stay at same height.

There are more factors then just steel block or aluminum when making an educated guess on engine hieght.

As far as the hubs, most guys I know that run them don't do the oil bath on the 007 hubs and just pack with grease. Been a while but I think winters even recommended not doing the oil bath, IIRC.