PDA

View Full Version : Gateway Dirt Nationals

dch191
12-20-2018, 08:37 AM
I just saw on Twitter that the GDN official page put a poll up asking if they should do invite only for late models next year. What’s you guys opinions? Right now the results are about 50/50 on Twitter. Me personally I think if invitation style is good enough for midgets and mods then it’s good enough for late models. Ideally I’d like to see open entry (up to a certain number of entries) for all 3 classes but I know that’s not necessarily feasible.

I also saw a tweet from Cody saying dates for the next 3 years will be announced soon which is great to hear the event will be back.

zyoung25
12-20-2018, 08:48 AM
I'd just like to know what has to take place for a driver to get a invite? Let's take Welshan and Zobrist for instance. Those guys dont hardly travel or race against the bigger names in the sport very much at all. I'd hate to see them get shunned because they didn't do whatever they had to do to get an invite. Even if it is just winning a race at your local race track, we all know that doesn't come very easy anymore to begin with.

I think invite only will definetly help the quality of cars be better. I'm not so sure it would help the racing though. I think the track quality should be the number one thing they should tackle. That's just my opinion.

dch191
12-20-2018, 09:08 AM
That’s why I’m kinda torn on the invite thing. On one hand for guys like Zobrist and Welshan, this event has allowed them to get their name out there way more than they could otherwise and would likely not get an invite if it wasn’t for their performances at the dome. It’d be doing a huge disservice to guys like that. But at the same time if you want to speed up the show and keep the track in better shape, then I think the easiest way to do that is by limiting entries. Like I said I’d love to see open entries for all 3 classes but I also know that the track can’t handle the abuse of 300+ cars over 3 days.

dch191
12-20-2018, 09:19 AM
A format I would like to see is make it a full show each night but only run 2 classes each night. Run midgets/mods Thursday, supers/midgets Friday, mods/supers Saturday for example. In theory that would allow you to have more cars in each class but run fewer total laps on the track each night.

chathamracefan
12-20-2018, 10:22 AM
Another take on that would be to have a pre qualifying type of show on Wednesday. Guys not invited could show up & run. Top 10 or some other # get to move on & run the rest of the weekend. This should also help the track get run in more for the rest of the week also.

MI Dirt Fan
12-20-2018, 10:43 AM
If I may, quote the infamous huskerdirt.

"Ok. Thanks."

http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?387896-Gateway

Mantis
12-20-2018, 10:43 AM
Maybe have multiple "qualifying" type races throughout the year at at different tracks with some type of Gateway point system to gain an invitation.

Just a thought.....

Jking24
12-20-2018, 01:06 PM
Definitely a double edge sword. the event really can't continue to grow if the entrys are limited. B. Look at a guy like Logan Roberson that was his only super start of the year and he definitely deserved to be their from a performance standpoint. I think maybe a modified format maybe something like eldora where Thursday their is time trials and only x amount move forward and maybe the rest can go to a tow money race with the option of racing the rest of the weekend

dirt crow
12-20-2018, 01:17 PM
No to super invites

CILDirt
12-20-2018, 02:30 PM
I would have to lean towards no on the invite. I think they should look at improving the track conditions more for LM’s. Add another barrier height of bank in each corner and find someone that can work it to keep the holes out. Better track surface = better racing and less cautions.

DLC
12-20-2018, 02:37 PM
I say NO. That sounds to much like discrimination to me.JMO.

HoosierDirtFan
12-20-2018, 02:46 PM
My answer to the poll - As I posted on twitter yesterday.
H*!! NO. Because then you take away from guys like Chad Zorbist, Jeff Herzog, & Jason Welshan who would be there if they where able to do so.
If you go by invite do they get one each year they want to be there.
The World isn't by invite so why should this be.
It's racing.
Not a popularity contest.
Which I'll bet it would turn into!
I go to races to see the locals just as I go to see the stars race.
I want to see a race not a popularity pageant.

LMNED10
12-20-2018, 03:51 PM
What about all the regional super late model tour champions from across the country, since 99% season is over with by that time of year, I think that would be a cool deal

fryefan
12-20-2018, 10:09 PM
They definitely need to do that because the shows are way too long. I heard several people say they were not coming back if they did not do something to get the shows over sooner.

TTS_JF
12-21-2018, 08:01 AM
I don't like the invite, for the same reasons mentioned above. Also on the mods there's nothing clear cut as to what gets you an invite. I'm not trying to knock Pierce for racing all 3 classes but he took a spot from a mod driver by racing that class.

Josh Bayko
12-21-2018, 08:52 AM
What about all the regional super late model tour champions from across the country, since 99% season is over with by that time of year, I think that would be a cool deal

At least half of those guys don't show up now, how is inviting them going to change that?

dirt junkie
12-21-2018, 09:10 AM
Open for lates, invite the best 50 midgets in the country and this is probably gonna be a unpopular vote but I say cut the modifieds out. Sorry Kenny Wallace. Get a late model

Illtsate32
12-21-2018, 10:27 AM
Open for lates, invite the best 50 midgets in the country and this is probably gonna be a unpopular vote but I say cut the modifieds out. Sorry Kenny Wallace. Get a late model

I hate to say it because I am a modified fan, but they would prob not lose a single ticket sale if they were to do that. Besides the pit passes and modified teams of course...

brsteg
12-21-2018, 10:45 AM
I hate to say it because I am a modified fan, but they would prob not lose a single ticket sale if they were to do that. Besides the pit passes and modified teams of course...

If you get rid of mods, you could probably do open but capped entry for midgets. Cap at 100, pay entry fee and security deposit that each team gets back when they enter the Dome.

Idk how many mods got an invite, but maybe just lower to like 30 entries.. All*Stars of the Illiana area. Pay a little less out. Quicken up the show, still have a good show. Maybe that's enough to allow more midget invites. (Maybe not for sake of timing. But, I personally don't have a problem with length of show. But I also have not attended and been borderline held hostage at the thing.)

Rocal145
12-21-2018, 10:46 AM
Do 40 invites then 40 signups. Let the signups run dual features wednesday night and take the top 5 from each then send the rest home.

WisWildManFan
12-21-2018, 11:24 AM
If you haven't won a super race all year you're not welcome. The guys causing most theCautions were back markers to begin with. No one will continue to support the event if it lasts 10 plus hours daily

cgrace
12-23-2018, 08:45 AM
I'd say use something like Montana Magic's results to get your top 75 lates and do an open event on as well and take the top 25. Not all 75 will show up. Than you leave at 100 lates.

Bubstr
12-23-2018, 10:47 PM
It would be a shame To go to a invite only. This short, slower track levels the playing field between the have's and the have nots. Run it for another day and split qualifying up to inside and outside rows, like Knoxville does. Put a three spin and out for the show rule. As far as track conditions go, Gundaker dose as well as any for a track that don't drain or have the ability to raise moisture from under. Possibly a black ice track would keep the car breaker bumps out but still keep dirt on the concrete, although it does give it character. Last year's track seemed better than this years, but a bit dryer also. Just thinking out loud, no expert here.

ImCryn2
12-24-2018, 10:16 AM
If you haven't won a super race all year you're not welcome. The guys causing most theCautions were back markers to begin with. No one will continue to support the event if it lasts 10 plus hours daily

IDK about winning a super race, but you should have to be a competitive super driver. Some of the entries were limited LM drivers who do not even run the front half of the field at their local track. I understand them wanting to go race, but I don't feel that's what this event is about. If this was a 5 day event then it would not be an issue, but with limited time I think they have to limit the number of cars somehow. I don't believe guys like Welshan and Zobrist would be left out of an invite style event. Perhaps have an application process (for the not so big names) where your accomplishments are taken into consideration for an invitation.

JCSullivan00
12-24-2018, 12:13 PM
What about someone like Logan Roberson? He didn't really run any super races, but he would have made the show had he not had a flat.

The invitation deal is kind of hokey anyway. Bobby Pierce got an invite in mods and midgets. What did he win in 2018 in either of those cars?

3 wide
12-24-2018, 12:46 PM
The reason you have this problem is because it's a 55mph race everybody thinks they can win a race like this.

Bubstr
12-24-2018, 06:24 PM
Anyone can win with enough talent. Big dollar equipment is almost useless. Just try and open up that big inch spread bore engine. Finesse is the name of the game.

3 wide
12-24-2018, 08:16 PM
Your exactly right that is why all those average guys show up.

President Clinton
12-25-2018, 06:52 AM
Y’all forget,,,,,,without average guys there will be no racing. I didn’t like the long show either, but without all the average guys and people that they bring/tell about it, you have no growth!!!! Gotta find a way, maybe an extra qualifying race day, to let anyone try to make it.Invitation only and I will choose to go watch a hell tour race at Highland Illinois instead of the dome. I like to see the little guy get a shot. I can watch the superstar teams every weekend somewhere.

3 wide
12-25-2018, 07:26 AM
I agree I like to see the little guy have a chance too what I'm saying if it wasn't a 55 mph race those guys wouldn't be there that is why some of the bigger teams don't come its opposite for them.

kazual
12-25-2018, 08:36 AM
The bottom line tends to have an accordion effect, it may have more to do with where a car starts than the winning percentage of the driver. I’m not an Illinois resident but my bet would be if you eliminate teams from within 300 miles by going big name drivers only the crowd would suffer. Some format tweaking maybe but by invite only will alienate not only race teams but sponsors, bad idea. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the promoter drop late models altogether somewhere in the future.

zeroracing
12-25-2018, 09:52 AM
I guess I fail to see a problem. Right now a guy can live the dream, the crowd can show up at 3 and see some guys try to make a name for themselves. If you want a shorter race night, go down to hooters or sugarfire and eat a nice meal, roll in about 5-6 and watch from there. I’ve got friends that race the Tulsa shootout, they are live streaming Facebook at like 11 am for heats and it runs into late night. No complaining there.

4m fans never stop amazing me, we need 200 cars at Eldora the sport is in trouble... like I said all major races should be invitation only with 40 car cap...

The invites were nothing but a popularity contest with many mod guys getting invites that just used social media strong to pressure or get an invite. Gundacker would not have “earned” and invite before he won the prelim night. He drove it in.

TTS_JF
12-25-2018, 10:25 AM
I'm with you zeroracing the mod racing invites were kind of a joke.

flagone
12-25-2018, 11:46 AM
kazual it is a LATE MODEL race. Cody loves LATE MODELS and he isn't going to drop them.

lazyifoto
12-25-2018, 11:53 AM
Wo0 Top 20
Lucas top 20
Top 2 in season points to represent a Track with track name on car..

dch191
12-25-2018, 12:16 PM
kazual it is a LATE MODEL race. Cody loves LATE MODELS and he isn't going to drop them.

Weird. I though it was a late model, mod, and now midget race.

Dlmfan123
12-25-2018, 12:23 PM
I agree with mr. carlton