PDA

View Full Version : Driver ID

jog49
01-04-2019, 09:47 AM
What late model driver currently lives in Mt. Airy, NC and presently drives a gas truck? Said to have driven the Tobacco Special and the Dunn-Benson car, among others, and won over 100 races. Was it Phil Hall?

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
01-04-2019, 10:06 AM
What late model driver currently lives in Mt. Airy, NC and presently drives a gas truck? Said to have driven the Tobacco Special and the Dunn-Benson car, among others, and won over 100 races. Was it Phil Hall?

Could be but he hasnt drove in quite a few yrs.
Billy hicks drove the tabacco special car also but he now owns H&H auto and funds his own #79 cars. He shares seat time w current driver down town brown.

jog49
01-04-2019, 10:23 AM
It has been quite a number of years since this person has driven a race car. A friend had a few beers and chicken wings with him last night and talked for several hours. Maybe a few beers too many because the friend couldn't remember the name. He did say it was not Billy Hicks, who he remembers. The man said he got into it with Donnie Moran somewhere in the past because Moran drove him into the wall, almost hitting a steel post that would have killed him. Old war stories, I suppose.

EvelB7
01-04-2019, 10:53 AM
I would put money on Phil Hall. Not sure on the Moran piece but he has lived in Mt. Airy and driven both of those cars.

ezeee1
01-04-2019, 10:59 AM
Mike Chilton

EvelB7
01-04-2019, 12:09 PM
ezeee1 you are probably correct, haven't seen him in quite a few years but always liked him.

GQFlash44
01-04-2019, 01:28 PM
It wouldn't be Ray Tucker would it?

EvelB7
01-04-2019, 01:34 PM
Tucker drove for Rodney Ritch but I don't remember him driving for Dunn-Benson. I see him from time to time racing with his son, another fun guy to be around.

Clayton_Wetter
01-04-2019, 01:36 PM
It has been quite a number of years since this person has driven a race car. A friend had a few beers and chicken wings with him last night and talked for several hours. Maybe a few beers too many because the friend couldn't remember the name. He did say it was not Billy Hicks, who he remembers. The man said he got into it with Donnie Moran somewhere in the past because Moran drove him into the wall, almost hitting a steel post that would have killed him. Old war stories, I suppose.

Not surprised by that story one bit. He was a dangerous driver IMO.

cprince07
01-04-2019, 03:24 PM
Ray Tucker drove the Dunn Benson Ford back in the day. I didn't realize he did either until I saw a pic of the DB ride on the wall in Ray's shop. I asked him about it but can't remember what year he said he drove it. This was back in 2010 or 2011 when we were there buying Rocket from him

TerryM
01-04-2019, 03:37 PM
Donnie Moran was as clean a driver as I've ever seen. That's one of the many reasons why he was one of my all-time favorites. I did a lot of interviews with a lot of drivers back in the day. I never once heard anyone say anything bad about Donnie.

jog49
01-04-2019, 04:21 PM
Thanks guy for trying. It wasn't Ray Tucker because the friend would know him. I don't know Mike Chilton. Is he currently a driver hauling gasolinr and 50-60 years old?

EvelB7
01-04-2019, 04:30 PM
I would say he is in his 50's, and I do know he was a truck driver just not sure on the gasoline side. Even after he was no longer driving the Tobacco Special he would drive the rig for them.

jog49
01-04-2019, 04:46 PM
There are three Mike Chiltons in Mt. Airy......59,62, and 63 years old. I saw a 1998 311 writeup and he finished that race in 4th place to Gary Mabe in the late model division. If Chilton drove the Tobacco Special car, then that must be who my friend met last night. I had not heard of Chilton driving the Lamm car but lots of people did in the pre-Pearson days. Thanks! I'll pass your knowledge along.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
01-04-2019, 05:11 PM
There are three Mike Chiltons in Mt. Airy......59,62, and 63 years old. I saw a 1998 311 writeup and he finished that race in 4th place to Gary Mabe in the late model division. If Chilton drove the Tobacco Special car, then that must be who my friend met last night. I had not heard of Chilton driving the Lamm car but lots of people did in the pre-Pearson days. Thanks! I'll pass your knowledge along.

Tell ur buddy not to drink so much so he can remember who he chatted with besides elvis!🤔🤔

EvelB7
01-04-2019, 05:24 PM
jog49, know it is off topic but what is going on with Dublin? Haven't been there in years but always liked that place and i know you use to help them out quite a bit.

ready2rd
01-04-2019, 06:51 PM
It was Mike Chilton he drove few races back in the day for Big C ,Tucker drove for Big C in 1990 or 1991 if my memory serves me correct .

Stefan2k4
01-04-2019, 07:45 PM
Don't know who specifically the question is referring to but Ray Tucker definitely drove the Benson Ford. I believe he even won a Stars race in it at Gaffney. He also drove Rumleys black number 6 prior to driving the Benson Ford and won some races in it.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
01-04-2019, 09:17 PM
Hey ready2rd...... are you dunn benson's spokesperson since u tight w them or are u just a loose spoke in the pits?🤣🤣

lazyifoto
01-04-2019, 11:30 PM
Donnie Moran was as clean a driver as I've ever seen. That's one of the many reasons why he was one of my all-time favorites. I did a lot of interviews with a lot of drivers back in the day. I never once heard anyone say anything bad about Donnie.

Donnie would drive the touring drivers clean because next week he was with them again...but he would rub tap or lift a local ..Seen him lean on locals amost every time he came to their track.

ready2rd
01-05-2019, 06:48 AM
Sliding Sidewayz im fender lizard here at DB Ford ,Btw where is your bio in little bout you thread we are waiting to read lil about you.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
01-05-2019, 08:15 AM
Sliding Sidewayz im fender lizard here at DB Ford ,Btw where is your bio in little bout you thread we are waiting to read lil about you.

Im a 4m troll is all you need to know

ready2rd
01-05-2019, 09:02 AM
Well ill Be SS

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
01-05-2019, 10:50 AM
Well ill Be SS

Jk b patient I might do it

chupp n bloomer fan
01-05-2019, 01:34 PM
Donnie Moran was as clean a driver as I've ever seen. That's one of the many reasons why he was one of my all-time favorites. I did a lot of interviews with a lot of drivers back in the day. I never once heard anyone say anything bad about Donnie.He was my favorite driver.

But The Juice Davey J wanted to tune him up at Sharon back when it was the old half mile. I think it was a couple to go going into one and I believe Donnie got Davey. Coulda been a racing deal, I was probably 10-12? I remember Donnie as being clean too, but him and Davey were not buds.

And me being a Donnie fan and my Mom being a Davey fan, kinda awkward.

jog49
01-05-2019, 02:18 PM
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Thanks guys. Spoke to my friend this morning, mentioned Mike Chilton and he recalled that's the former driver he met Thursday night. Bartender says Mike is at the bar at the Holiday Inn in Lumberton, NC every Thursday night and is a great guy to talk with about racing. He must be in the area with his trucking runs on that day. The friend says he going back to see him again and really enjoyed the conversation.

As for Dublin, it was built and run by a member of the Taylor family who had Taylor Manufacturing in Elizabethtown that made tobacco harvesting equipment back in the day. He loved racing and had three daughters who loved some aspects of racing such as motor-cross. After being closed for a number of years, Mike McLaurin approached Mr. Taylor about rebuilding DMS and going back racing. Mike did a great job rebuilding the track from scratch (it had become pine woods and underbrush) and things went well for some years before money management problems did the McLaurin family in. It went through several tenants after the McLaurins but nobody succeeded. It has now been closed for several years and is probably eroded from those past couple of monsoon-like rains the area received. I suspect it is dead and buried. Mr. Taylor died a few years ago and the racing property has passed down to a part of the Taylor family (thru inheritance) who. seemingly, could care less about racing. It will not be sold because it sits in that Lu-Mil Vineyards property and the Taylors, to my knowledge, don't seem willing to help any of the promoters who have come along with improvements, etc.. It was a good race track back in the day, was awesome after Mike McLaurin did his magic, and could be a great race track in the future if it was either miles away from the Taylors OR if the Taylors themselves would open and run it like a for-profit business. Any other options and DMS will be just a memory.....much like another "family" owned race track.....Wayne County.

Cornbread77
01-05-2019, 03:37 PM
I would say he is in his 50's, and I do know he was a truck driver just not sure on the gasoline side. Even after he was no longer driving the Tobacco Special he would drive the rig for them.Yeah that'd be Mike Chilton. Him and Billy Hicks drove 2 Tobacco Specials at the same time. He used to drive for a chemical company up there. Great guy.