PDA

View Full Version : Low Left Rear

SmithGT
01-06-2019, 08:37 PM
A lot of the late models now have the left side body nearly on the ground with the left rear tucked behind the sheet metal. What is the reason for this? Soft left rear spring, low left rear bite, body style, etc?

Examples: https://imgur.com/a/JA9eeee

grt74
01-06-2019, 08:42 PM
A lot of the late models now have the left side body nearly on the ground with the left rear tucked behind the sheet metal. What is the reason for this? Soft left rear spring, low left rear bite, body style, etc?

they are just walking around the body rules, if you know what your doing

Krooser
01-07-2019, 01:39 AM
Likely the shock valving is keeping the LR low so it will pass the height spec in tech... takes a few minutes for the shock to bleed off the pressure.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-08-2019, 08:02 AM
If you start low on ride height, bring the t bar up, then go on the track and hike to full height, the spoiler is higher than if all was legal with a higher ride height.

hunterracing
01-08-2019, 09:05 AM
Want a low lr ride hieght make it lazy trying get up on bars or taken off

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-08-2019, 12:06 PM

At some point, yes. But when you have watch springs for lr and rf, turning the wheel pretty much hikes the car. It ain't hard. You can adjust bars too, if need be. Guy get half hiked driving around the pits.

billetbirdcage
01-08-2019, 06:06 PM

It's just more likely to happen on your deal with the no stacks, bumps, and spec shocks. Your car could set down more often, then a typical LM would/might. But generally speaking probably not that much of an issue, I'd be more worried about starts then setting down while racing but can happen on the right tracks or with certain drivers.

hunterracing
01-08-2019, 08:13 PM
how much lower we talking from standard ride height 1/2inch 1 inch or more just to get more spoiler in air right

billetbirdcage
01-08-2019, 08:19 PM
Ideally if you can get the LR ride hieght down as low as it will go, say this is 3" below STD ride height then: You can raise the deck that 3" and still be legal at ride height, so when the car goes dynamic against the chain the deck is 3" higher then it would have been with the same chain length.

Obviously you can only go so far with this stuff, reason we have a nose height rule. Guys where raising RF and lowering LR ride heights and resetting the deck statically so once in dynamic more the deck was 56"+ in the air for aero.

hunterracing
01-08-2019, 08:41 PM
That be tuff on our deal with single straight spring it can be done but not. Get the extended load number up there more to start nite off say 150 or more then if you drop It per say what some do for Feature would lower lr but seems odd take load outa lr at full hike to me

riddle28
01-09-2019, 07:54 AM
ive done the soft ultra compressed stuff and traction is awesome in the moisture but goes away in the slick. any tips to supplement to help this problem?

Kromulous
01-09-2019, 08:50 AM
Whats tends to happen when it gets dry? you lose hike, or ??

New to the compressed stuff, trying to figure it out as well.

Thinking out loud thou, when it gets dry i would tend to think to soften up on the RF smash numbers. That and maybe take some trail out of the rear end, either thru brackets or rods, removing rear steer??

RaceEngineer
01-09-2019, 11:03 AM
Slower tracks mean more sitting down on entry for many drivers. This will then mean less wedge in the car when they gas up.

Krooser
01-09-2019, 11:39 AM
I had a GF with a low ride height...

Lizardracing
01-09-2019, 12:10 PM
I had one with a wide body but still hiked up easy.

hunterracing
01-09-2019, 12:16 PM
Taken extended load out for feature lowers car some doesn’t it

billetbirdcage
01-09-2019, 03:22 PM
That be tuff on our deal with single straight spring it can be done but not. Get the extended load number up there more to start nite off say 150 or more then if you drop It per say what some do for Feature would lower lr but seems odd take load outa lr at full hike to me

What we are talking about is with a dual rate spring set up, which you aren't allowed to do by your rules. So you can't really do it without lowering the extended load. On a dual rate deal you just lower the ride hieght load number and keep the same extended load number.

billetbirdcage
01-09-2019, 03:32 PM
ive done the soft ultra compressed stuff and traction is awesome in the moisture but goes away in the slick. any tips to supplement to help this problem?

I'm not sure if you just meant you only lowered LR ride hieght or that to do that you had to change overall rates or extended load at the same time? I'm going to assume you mean:

You lowered ride hieght but you most likely softened the spring rate at the same time, meaning maybe you had a 150# spring with say 700# ride load and 150# of extended load. So you switched to a softer rate like 100# and had 600# ride load and still had the 150# extended load so the car sits 1" lower at ride.

If that is somewhat the case (Shown rates my not be right but shows the idea), that's not that untypical. Meaning lots of people may feel a straight 200# spring with 150# of extended load goes better for them in the traction and not as good in the slick over say a 175/175 with the same extended load.

It also depends on how you where doing you dual/stacked LR to get the rates, meaning are you progressive, digressive or just stacked. All can give different feels to different drivers, there in my experience doesn't seem to be a one fits all as everyone seems to like different stuff whether it's due to driving style, car or track shape/configuration.

You'd probably need to be more specific on the actual rates and load changes you did for someone to point you in a direction, IMO.

Twenty-Five
01-12-2019, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure if you just meant you only lowered LR ride hieght or that to do that you had to change overall rates or extended load at the same time? I'm going to assume you mean:You lowered ride hieght but you most likely softened the spring rate at the same time, meaning maybe you had a 150# spring with say 700# ride load and 150# of extended load. So you switched to a softer rate like 100# and had 600# ride load and still had the 150# extended load so the car sits 1" lower at ride.If that is somewhat the case (Shown rates my not be right but shows the idea), that's not that untypical. Meaning lots of people may feel a straight 200# spring with 150# of extended load goes better for them in the traction and not as good in the slick over say a 175/175 with the same extended load.It also depends on how you where doing you dual/stacked LR to get the rates, meaning are you progressive, digressive or just stacked. All can give different feels to different drivers, there in my experience doesn't seem to be a one fits all as everyone seems to like different stuff whether it's due to driving style, car or track shape/configuration.You'd probably need to be more specific on the actual rates and load changes you did for someone to point you in a direction, IMO.Generally speaking, with a dual rate package, keeping the ride load the same and lowering the extended load will have what effect? New to this dual rate stuff.

RaceEngineer
01-13-2019, 12:39 AM
Generally speaking, with a dual rate package, keeping the ride load the same and lowering the extended load will have what effect? New to this dual rate stuff.When at extension, it means you have less LR load. So, at extension, tighter off gas looser on gas. What really is seen by driver will depend on car attitude at specific points on the track.