PDA

View Full Version : Chili Bowl XXXIII

CIRF
01-21-2019, 10:31 AM
The 33rd annual Chili Bowl Midget Nationals is in the books and it was another epic event. Something dirt racing fans have come to expect from the biggest and best dirt event of the entire year.

The crowd seems to get larger every year in spite of the fact that all but Monday night was sold out according to local news outlets. The crowd size for a Tuesday and Wednesday night is amazing considering 85% of all the tickets sold for The Chili Bowl are sold outside of Oklahoma!

The preliminary night events were run with impeccable time management and organization. The mud cab crowd that whines and hates on dirt open wheel racing because of the cars not having self-starting capabilities are sorely disappointed and proven wrong every year at Tulsa. The racing is run with efficiency and is no more time consuming than starter car events. I've said for years that tracks who host dirt open wheel events only occasionally should be required to come to Tulsa in January to learn first hand how it's done correctly.

With Kyle Larson and Christopher Bell (to be fair a couple more dirt open wheel drivers deserve to be mentioned with those two) we are incredibly privileged to be watching two massively talented and brave drivers go at each other. They are like two heavy weights at the absolute top of their game, in their prime going at each other but with the huge respect toward one another. By all accounts both Larson and Bell are quality human beings who conduct themselves with class, dignity and manners. We are watching a modern day Larry & Gary/Petty & Pearson show of the early 21st century. The Chili Bowl is an event that showcases their talent and skill in a way that no other could, or can.

No one knows just how big and relevant The Chili Bowl will become going forward, least of all me. But, one thing is for sure, it's surpassed most any and all expectations of even just 15 years ago.

Have been home from Tulsa less than 12 hours and already thinking of Chili Bowl XXXIV!! Can't wait!

kidrock
01-21-2019, 05:40 PM
I have seen some highlights. I started out watching Saturday nights program but, had to get up early Sunday and did not get to watch A-main. I have been waiting for Lucas oil tv to make the race available on their website so, I can watch the replay.

I did see where Karsyn Elledge won a heat race I believe on Thursday night maybe?

I did see the last couple of laps where Larson messed up ever so slightly and Bell got by him but, can't wait to watch the entire show.

CIRF
01-21-2019, 08:04 PM
I have seen some highlights. I started out watching Saturday nights program but, had to get up early Sunday and did not get to watch A-main. I have been waiting for Lucas oil tv to make the race available on their website so, I can watch the replay.

I did see where Karsyn Elledge won a heat race I believe on Thursday night maybe?

I did see the last couple of laps where Larson messed up ever so slightly and Bell got by him but, can't wait to watch the entire show.

It was another good one, Kid. The only negative of the whole week was the down time on Saturday night. It's a bit of a mystery as to what precipitated so much down time. In fairness, there was 3 separate medical emergencies in the grandstands that probably ate up close to 45 minutes. The CB has escalated into such a huge event that the schedule and protocol is pretty much demanded but many of us could have done without the extended driver introductions and photo-op with Emmett prior to the Saturday night A-main.

You GOTTA' get out to Tulsa for this deal sometime, Kid. You will be amazed at how big of a deal this really has become. All 5 nights of prelim action is like a national event all it's own. Winning a prelim night A-main is a big deal in it's own right. When you decide to make the trip let me know. I can give you some pointers on lodging and tickets.

TS FAN
01-21-2019, 09:04 PM

I saw every race available between MAV and You tube. It was a fantastic show and congrats to C. Bell.
As I am a fan of Larson too, I certainly felt bad for him. I was shocked at the ground Bell made up in the last two laps. Both of those guys are class acts and I sure enjoy watching them race. There was hours of racing to watch in those events. Couple of the ladies did have some success too.

CIRF
01-21-2019, 09:59 PM
I saw every race available between MAV and You tube. It was a fantastic show and congrats to C. Bell.
As I am a fan of Larson too, I certainly felt bad for him. I was shocked at the ground Bell made up in the last two laps. Both of those guys are class acts and I sure enjoy watching them race. There was hours of racing to watch in those events. Couple of the ladies did have some success too.

History indicates that Bell and Larson have way too many manners, class and dignity for the likes of you to be all that much of a fan.

Since your buddy, phony stewart, was back in charge of Chili Bowl track prep this year he must have kissed and made up with Emmett or whoever it was that hurt his feelings last year and caused him to leave Tulsa in a huff! LOL! Maybe that's the reason for your undying interest this year!

I'm curious power boy, do you ever actually attend any races or merely watch at home and sanctimoniously pontificate your gutless retorts from your keyboard while perched high upon your imaginary Mt. Olympus? LOLOL!

Raceready
01-22-2019, 11:59 AM
History indicates that Bell and Larson have way too many manners, class and dignity for the likes of you to be all that much of a fan. Since your buddy, phony stewart, was back in charge of Chili Bowl track prep this year he must have kissed and made up with Emmett or whoever it was that hurt his feelings last year and caused him to leave Tulsa in a huff! LOL! Maybe that's the reason for your undying interest this year! I'm curious power boy, do you ever actually attend any races or merely watch at home and sanctimoniously pontificate your gutless retorts from your keyboard while perched high upon your imaginary Mt. Olympus? LOLOL! That's about the funniest I've read in the new year !!! TeeHee Teehee !!!

JimBo
01-23-2019, 03:28 PM
Great Chili Bowl this year. The people sitting next to me flew in from Australia for this race. People from all over the country were there. This event gets better every year! I attend mostly Late Model races and this is my favorite race of the year!

CIRF
01-23-2019, 05:03 PM
Great Chili Bowl this year. The people sitting next to me flew in from Australia for this race. People from all over the country were there. This event gets better every year! I attend mostly Late Model races and this is my favorite race of the year!

JimBo, I was amazed by how crowded the concession area's and the trade show were this year. We set in the top row of the main straightaway grandstands slightly to the turn 1 side of the flagman. When we'd leave our seats to get food and refreshment even the ramp on the south side of the Expo Center was packed with people to the degree that it was hard to walk up to the main concession area. I don't recall things being nearly as crowded as in years past. I bought a pit pass for Saturday and the pits were almost completely full of people this year. More than what I remember in the past, as well. I have to believe the race teams aren't overjoyed with that situation but I doubt anything changes unless someone gets hurt.

I, too, attend more late model events than dirt open wheel throughout the year. We love both genre's but we anticipate and enjoy the 6 nights of Chili Bowl more than any other event we attend all year.

buster83
01-31-2019, 01:45 AM
my dam eyes got so dam heavy i had to give it up and hit record button.