PDA

View Full Version : Is Bloomquist "past his prime"?

2thextreme
02-10-2019, 03:21 AM
I'm not sure what's going on with SB racing. It seems as though he's not the "threat" he once was. I'm not sure why he's been such a nonfactor during SPEEDWEEKS. I understand that he's never done that well at Eastbay over the years and wonder if this is a "TESTING/RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT" excursion for him? It seems like the Rockets and Longhorns are paving the way to victory. I realize he has a bad shoulder situation, so is he past his prime or are there great things still lying ahead for him. Perhaps it's his more conservative approach to racing (running inside groove) as opposed to trying the high side like JD or Tyler Erb.

chupp n bloomer fan
02-10-2019, 04:13 AM
East Bay is not his type of track. He is not any good at being able to pitch and stomp. He has to be straight and smooth. And his style just historically sucks at East Bay. Just like he is no good at Macon. Yes, they are not the same size, but the same jist.

Every year we hear the same tune at Speedweeks, he’s washed up, he can’t do it anymore, and then he does. He is better than last year after GIS and EB by a long shot.

Volusia is a better barometer for him. GIS he was 7th n 3rd, EB I know a 26th, DQ, two mid packs maybe, and a top 5??

He will be just fine. He sucks at I-80, Eldora, Knoxville, Volusia, Lernerville, Atomic, and so on, then there are issues with Bloomer.

2thextreme
02-10-2019, 04:50 AM
Thanks for your response, chupp n bloomer fan. Greatly appreciated. I have to agree strongly with you about how he has improved a great deal from last year's outing at GIS and Eastbay. I remember last year he left Eastbay some 400+ points behind, I believe. I've always thought he runs better when the weather is HOT. For instance, at Brownstown's early Spring race, he seems to struggle more when the weather is colder than say, in August/September for THE JACKSON 100 when he manages to kick butt.

Bob Hubbard
02-10-2019, 05:37 AM
Bloomer does some funny ars stuff sometimes which makes him an easy target for trash talk …. Its entertaining to watch the reactions ….. At the end of the day hes got the stats on dirt ….. The short of it is not seeing him driving on asphalt for a cup team ….

kidrock
02-10-2019, 05:43 AM
At some point he is going to start to slow down only because age catches up with everybody but, don't count him out just yet for this year. He will probably go on a tear and win 4 or 5 in a row like he has in the past.

2thextreme
02-10-2019, 06:05 AM
Thanks, Bob Hubbard for your insights into SBR. You're right about the stats. I think, in my opinion, he is the GOAT in Dirt LM Racing. Certainly would not trash talk him, for sure...especially when you think of what he brings to the sport of DLM and his contributions and accomplishments.Kidrock, thanks for the comment "don't count him out just yet for this year". I realize that in November 2018, he won one of the races ($12K to win shows) at Charlotte WoO LM show. I know he's never done that well at Eastbay, like chupp n bloomer fan pointed out.

kazual
02-10-2019, 06:41 AM
He’s not my cup of tea but admittedly he is the goat. No way I count him out at this point. What I’d be more aware of going forward is if he seems to be loosing focus and interest. And I wouldn’t blame him if he does, age has a way of changing your perspective and priorities.

2thextreme
02-10-2019, 07:00 AM
You're spot on, kazual, regarding how age changes our perspectives on things. Sometimes, some of the things he does (like this past week at Eastbay, allowing someone to illegally sub in your race car) certainly makes one shake their head in disbelief and ask why he'd do something such as that. I realize he's always been a controversial figure in his own right but it seems like some of his behavior over the past year or two makes one raise their eyebrows and question what exactly was he thinking.No doubt, I agree that he is the GOAT and he has a huge following.

RaceEngineer
02-10-2019, 07:00 AM
His skills are still there. His issues are non racing.

Josh Bayko
02-10-2019, 07:13 AM
I think he’s gotta minimize the craziness that surrounds his team. He’s still very skilled at driving, but all the other issues that seem to plague his program anymore are what hurts him. It was never this wild problems when it was him and Tommy Hicks. I was thinking having the McDowells around would help that some, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

dirt crow
02-10-2019, 08:22 AM
He needs to diet. Eat a salad or something.

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-10-2019, 08:53 AM

6 months of no sugar and bread and be would be a new man.

klemmabyna
02-10-2019, 09:25 AM
past his prime? aren't we all?

quit trying to change what he is. enjoy the show.

4Barrel
02-10-2019, 09:39 AM
In the past 12 months, he has won several races. He won that race last Summer on 3 wheels, right? He is still the car to beat.

kazual
02-10-2019, 10:34 AM
He was dominant at the 2018 Show Me. If he doesn’t look better by then or at the Show Me itself then that would be a poor progress report. But not having a good Florida Speedweeks is not the end of the world for him, and hopefully not for Owens. I will be watching for increased occasions that he shoots himself in the foot, that would be a troubling sign.

Swampy121
02-10-2019, 11:23 AM
Can't quote you kazual, but good point. Owens has been in the same sort of rut as Bloomer. Are people saying he's washed up?

CarolinaDirt
02-10-2019, 11:32 AM
I hate these conversations Bloomquust just doesn't run good at East Bay. He turned it around at Volusia last year when him and Dale McDowell got together . He will be fine

NY DIRT
02-10-2019, 12:58 PM
Is he the GOAT--YES
Is he capable of winning races--YES
Look at him now. look at him 15 years ago. look at his racing statistics now. Look at them 15 years ago.
Is he past his prime-- Of course he is...

Hoosier_Dirt
02-10-2019, 01:00 PM
Like stated above Bloomquists issues are non racing related.

MI Dirt Fan
02-10-2019, 01:03 PM
The way I see it is he only has 8 wins there. So obviously it's not his kinda track like CnB said. Now if he had number like Moyer or even Oneal then it might make you wonder. Would he have more wins there if it paid $10k-$12k every night?

Snake X3
02-10-2019, 01:08 PM
Everybody does slow down. You look at guys like Moyer, O'Neal, Lanigan etc and they aren't at their peak anymore. They are still competitive, but they aren't the force they were. it would be hard to imagine that Bloomer's best days aren't behind him, but he'll still run well and win races for as long as he choses to race.

Time will tell if he's still at the top of the Late Model world. Whether it turns out that age and injuries have caught up with him or not doesn't really matter much to me. I'm just going to enjoy him while he's still around. He's the GOAT and the sport is better when he's around to entertain us.

TerryM
02-10-2019, 01:09 PM
His championship days are long gone. He’s only won one in the last 8 or 9 years, and he’s not going to win another one before he retires. He’s just hoping to be top five at this point. Top three would be considered a good year.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
02-10-2019, 01:34 PM
Thank you I agree!

Highside Hustler25
02-10-2019, 01:59 PM
I think Bloomer could have one more in him but with every year that slips by, it will be that much tougher.
I don't think he's slipped as much(except for the tardiness) as much as the competition has gotten much much more stronger.

klemmabyna
02-10-2019, 03:24 PM
completely agree that his series championship days are likely over. but i'll be (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ed if I will ever be able to count the S.O.B. out when it comes to big money races.

Stefan2k4
02-10-2019, 03:33 PM
East Bay is not his type of track. He is not any good at being able to pitch and stomp. He has to be straight and smooth.

Bloomquist is more of a "finesse" style driver. He's a master of working the throttle, being smooth and not over driving the car. That's what's made him the GOAT and why he's stood the test of time. Little bull rings like East Bay are more of an equalzer and loose nut behind the wheel type drivers can make themselves look like the hero of the day on these sorts of track, but other style tracks, the cream will rise to the top.

Bloomer does some funny ars stuff sometimes which makes him an easy target for trash talk …

Or perhaps, Bloomquist receives a lot more scrutiny for every little thing. Things that would be no big deal if Johnny Nobody did it, become big news and fuel lots of gossip and speculation all throughout the racing community. Dose, Bloomer maybe play into this and use it to his own advantage? Sure! But why not? People are going to scrutinize, speculate, and talk anyway, simply because of who he is. So, why not exploit it to his advantage.

I don't think he's slipped as much(except for the tardiness) as much as the competition has gotten much much more stronger.

I disagree! I don't think the actual competition is as tough today as it once was. Remember Bloomquist raced against the likes of Purvis, Freedy Smith, Buck Simmons, Larry Moore, Donnie Moran, Charlie Swartz, Billy Moyer, etc. If anything the actual competition, in terms of driving ability and skill is lower than it once was. Todays cars, with treated tires, traction control, and suspensions that steer themselves around the corners with their hiked up rear ends, makes younger lesser skilled drivers with big bank rolls behind them look better. Is the racing closer? Maybe, but that doesn't mean that there are more highly skilled drivers out there. in fact, it may mean the opposite, that ability and skill is less important.

Also some people perform their best when they are challenged the most. These individuals may not perform their best unless they are under pressure. There is some evidence to suggest this might be the case with Bloomer. Look no further than last year at the Show Me 100. Remember him having his time thrown out that friday and coming from the rear to win the b main on 3 wheels? Then coming through the field to finish 2nd, securing a front row starting spot for the big show, which he won? How about the Dream and coming back the next night after the fall, emergency room visit, to dominate? It may well be that he imply isn't challenged enough!

Everybody does slow down

This is true, no doubt. However, racing is not exactly like some other more athletic sports. Racing is more mental and what little bit an older driver may lose in terms of physical condition may be more than offset by maturity and experience. If anything, I would say that in terms of sheer skill, he's as good as ever. If he has one shortcoming nowadays, it's probably that he takes too many other roles, besides just driving the racecar, upon himself.

wfofan
02-10-2019, 03:37 PM
I'm not a Bloomquist fan...Never have been, never will be...
The one thing I absolutely love about him is...
He is who he is and has never changed in that way...
He lives his life the way he wants regardless of peoples thoughts and for that...
I salute him !!!

let-r-eat
02-10-2019, 04:07 PM
Ask anyone in the pits who the best is and they will tell you.

TS FAN
02-10-2019, 04:11 PM
Some how I knew there would be a thread like this. LOL

Highside Hustler25
02-10-2019, 04:12 PM
Ask anyone in the pits who the best is and they will tell you.

I seen a Chuck Hummer T Shirt in the pits @ Screven.

WisWildManFan
02-10-2019, 05:15 PM
Only way to assess this is when they start racing for 30k plus events

Clayton_Wetter
02-10-2019, 06:41 PM

Maybe some baked crow, possibly???? :)

ImCryn2
02-10-2019, 07:46 PM
Todays cars, with treated tires, traction control, and suspensions that steer themselves around the corners with their hiked up rear ends

That's funny stuff right there. LMFAO

MI Dirt Fan
02-10-2019, 08:03 PM
Put. The. Doobie. Down.

Clayton_Wetter
02-10-2019, 08:08 PM
Put. The. Doobie. Down.

Who TM?????? hahahahaaaa

lw82
02-10-2019, 08:39 PM
Zero will still get him some. Lucas series looks tough as ever. JD strong. Erb strong just has to hope he no get beat up for dumb moves. Josh and oneil in rockets gonna b better for bowyer team than last few years. Lannigan was mostly invisible. Epj better than ever. Moran showing well a bit but prolly b up and down. Hudson oneil can b good at any time. Owens tMac off but always capable. You look at all that and ???? Who knows. Zero has differing motors and still mostly him and Cody doin most of it. Past his prime? Prolly a bit but all the competition is getting tougher. Still will shine at eldora and other tracks but b tough go more so than ever cause competition level this year. Vp USIA will b interesting to see

lw82
02-10-2019, 08:42 PM
V olusia will b interesting to see

MI Dirt Fan
02-10-2019, 08:51 PM
Anyone know if Stormy Scott is going to Volusia also?

2thextreme
02-10-2019, 08:53 PM
V olusia will b interesting to seeI can't remember how well he has done at Volusia? I just know that Tampa's Eastbay has never really been his cup of tea, so to speak. I think Bubba Raceway Park last year was an exciting finish with Brandon Sheppard beating him on the last lap or two. But...for some reason, I cannot recall his history at Volusia County Speedway. Enlighten me...

MI Dirt Fan
02-10-2019, 09:04 PM
I can't remember how well he has done at Volusia? I just know that Tampa's Eastbay has never really been his cup of tea, so to speak. I think Bubba Raceway Park last year was an exciting finish with Brandon Sheppard beating him on the last lap or two. But...for some reason, I cannot recall his history at Volusia County Speedway. Enlighten me...

Davenport won last year's BRP race.

Bloomers has 12 wins at Volusia. 8 at East Bay

2thextreme
02-10-2019, 09:21 PM
Davenport won last year's BRP race.Bloomers has 12 wins at Volusia. 8 at East BayOh okay...Maybe the BShepp and Bloomer race was year before last?Wow! Didn't realize how many races Scott has won at Volusia County Speedway. Thanks for the information.

Highside Hustler25
02-11-2019, 04:36 AM
Also some people perform their best when they are challenged the most.

One thing that I believe most of us have come to realize from your posts is that you are most definitely challenged. Just haven't decided if it's mentally or physically.

chupp n bloomer fan
02-11-2019, 05:32 AM
Is he the GOAT--YES
Is he capable of winning races--YES
Look at him now. look at him 15 years ago. look at his racing statistics now. Look at them 15 years ago.
Is he past his prime-- Of course he is...So is McCreadie past his prime?

Krooser
02-11-2019, 08:59 AM
I doubt Bloomer cares what we think...

ride height
02-11-2019, 09:09 AM
He’s winning right this moment because you are all talking about him. 👍

NY DIRT
02-11-2019, 10:13 AM
So is McCreadie past his prime?

Is he capable of winning --YES
Is he pat his prime--YES

Clayton_Wetter
02-11-2019, 02:41 PM
Some how I knew there would be a thread like this. LOL

Feel free shout out all the praise you like!!!!! :)

formercrewguy
02-11-2019, 02:41 PM
Anyone in their 50's is past their prime...…...except maybe Dolly Parton.

Stefan2k4
02-11-2019, 05:19 PM
Anyone in their 50's is past their prime...…..

That depends on how you define "prime"? Physically. Sure! But racing is a sport that's not entirely physical. It's much more mental. Here's a guy who's 86 years old and can still strap himself into a 10000+ hp vehicle and go from 0 tor 300 MPH in less than a quarter mile. Looking at guys like this and John Force, who's in his 70's, Bloomquist could still have many good years left in him.

www.foxnews.com/auto/86-year-old-drag-racer-chris-karamesines-sets-nhra-record-with-305-mph-run

Phatdaddy
02-11-2019, 06:34 PM
That depends on how you define "prime"? Physically. Sure! But racing is a sport that's not entirely physical. It's much more mental. Here's a guy who's 86 years old and can still strap himself into a 10000+ hp vehicle and go from 0 tor 300 MPH in less than a quarter mile. Looking at guys like this and John Force, who's in his 70's, Bloomquist could still have many good years left in him.

www.foxnews.com/auto/86-year-old-drag-racer-chris-karamesines-sets-nhra-record-with-305-mph-run

I think he will have a healthy dose of victories this year, but I agree with you. It seems that in racing, it's not such a matter of a racer being less physically/mentally capable. More times than not it's a matter of the focus being elsewhere. i.e.. family life, building & selling cars, wanting less travel.

I also believe the competition is insane, and it's a marvel that he's stayed on top of the engineering advancements in these cars or 30+ years. I don't know Scott's level of education, but he's up against a legit NASA engineers. He's outlasted all the others in their prime: Birky, Owens, Moyer, McDowell, EPJ, Smith, Moran, Frye...

over4T
02-11-2019, 08:25 PM
Karamesines is 87, not only 86. He's got 10 years on me to the day so even I can do the math. Dumb whippersnappers that write some of those articles can't do basic math without their smartphone. Chris held the NHRA record in 1956 or '57 at 169 in the 1/4 until some young unknown from Florida in a funny named car, Swamp Rat, topped that at 176, a speed the experts said was impossible. His name was/is Don Garlits.

Scott's father was seriously involved in building airplanes so he's obviously got some smart genes in his blood.

WildBill32
02-11-2019, 08:41 PM
Sure hes past his prime. But, I'm always very happy to see him pull into the track. When I'm at a race. You just know something going to happen. And he sure as he1l can still get-er done!

TS FAN
02-11-2019, 09:48 PM
Feel free shout out all the praise you like!!!!! :)

OK, praise praise praise praise.

kidrock
02-11-2019, 10:02 PM
Sure hes past his prime. But, I'm always very happy to see him pull into the track. When I'm at a race. You just know something going to happen. And he sure as he1l can still get-er done!

Yep and he will probably go on a tear just to prove you are right!

ThebigE
02-12-2019, 06:20 AM
I seen a Chuck Hummer T Shirt in the pits @ Screven.

Looks like Hummer already packed up and headed north. He shut down his "Chuck Hummer Racing" FB page after some chick in Florida saw it, and posted all kinds of stuff about him being wanted in Florida for DNA testing for her kid from 7 years ago.... He's nowhere to be found now.

chupp n bloomer fan
02-12-2019, 07:00 AM
18th to third, not bad. He sucked early on.

Rsr fan
02-12-2019, 10:12 AM
Looks like Hummer already packed up and headed north. He shut down his "Chuck Hummer Racing" FB page after some chick in Florida saw it, and posted all kinds of stuff about him being wanted in Florida for DNA testing for her kid from 7 years ago.... He's nowhere to be found now.Funny....I'm right here in Volusia I wouldn't get caught up in what untrue facts people like to post about me let's focus on the sport of racing and helping others in the community! Chuck

Cooter Davenport
02-12-2019, 11:24 AM
Funny....I'm right here in Volusia I wouldn't get caught up in what untrue facts people like to post about me let's focus on the sport of racing and helping others in the community! Chuck

And once again...crickets....

Where can I get a Chuck Hummer shirt?

Rsr fan
02-12-2019, 12:27 PM
And once again...crickets....Where can I get a Chuck Hummer shirt?At my trailer!!! For the Woo show

IZZOJR16
02-12-2019, 01:15 PM
6 months of no sugar and bread and be would be a new man.I know people who have just given up soda and it was life changing. Yes, I noticed a few years ago Bloomer was aging rapidly. During his TV interviews Bloomer looked bloated and pasty. That being said, its nice for the first time in my life that Moyer and Bloomer dont win everything.

Highside Hustler25
02-12-2019, 05:49 PM
At my trailer!!! For the Woo show

Chuck, you need a bottle of nitrous:D

ZERO25
02-12-2019, 06:56 PM
Looks like ole washed-up, long haired hippy still has a little gas left in the tank!

18th-3rd in 30 laps and was the fastest car on the track the last few laps!

I wish I was that washed up! :)