PDA

View Full Version : GR Smith off WoO tour...shocking

thexfactor0210
02-12-2019, 09:45 AM
Noticed on his FB page that they hurt one motor and are calling off Speedweeks and the WoO chase in doing so. Why does he declare he is going to run the tour again and then not even run 3 races. Silly in my mind to even declare then.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
02-12-2019, 09:52 AM
We all knew he was quiting before he did

adamconners
02-12-2019, 09:56 AM
Guess the problem was never Shirley or Bailes. G.R is a moron and honestly a douche bag (wanted to use another d-word)

Cornbread77
02-12-2019, 07:26 PM
We all knew he was quiting before he didYeap sure did. He can wheel a car but my thought is if your going to run with a series you need to have motors and other supplies in hand ahead of time. I may be wrong but just my thought

Waldo
02-12-2019, 07:27 PM
And this surprises NO ....ONE

Highside Hustler25
02-12-2019, 07:29 PM
Guess the problem was never Shirley or Bailes.

The facts................

Waldo
02-12-2019, 07:33 PM
Why would he declare he was gonna run the entire tour in the first place? Most of the time guys that do that have a fan base. Why not say nothing at all and just show up and race. If u did that there would not be a story here.

tsand
02-12-2019, 10:35 PM
One of the biggest moron in racing he has destroyed 5 fold the amount of cars then anyone else in racing..

jr29
02-12-2019, 11:41 PM
I've learned to not pay attention to any driver who says he is retiring or any driver who says he is following a series.

HoosierDirtFan
02-12-2019, 11:42 PM
GR just went off on his G.R. Smith Motorsports Facebook page which included 4m.

rdcllk
02-12-2019, 11:58 PM
What did he have to say?

Dlmfan123
02-13-2019, 12:03 AM
https://www.facebook.com/110230282386016/posts/2105388872870137?sfns=mo

rdcllk
02-13-2019, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the link. Seems like a real nice fellow
That's clueless to what he's talking about

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
02-13-2019, 01:38 AM
I wonder how that..........aw never mind.

Cornbread77
02-13-2019, 02:13 AM
He does have a nice pic of Davenport trophies...

Thedoctor
02-13-2019, 04:03 AM
Pretty sad that a professional would feel the need to have to acknowledge and try to defend himself about the little that was said about him on here.

adamconners
02-13-2019, 05:43 AM
And to have the audacity to put up trophies that someone else won you, whilst making it seem like he won them.

chupp n bloomer fan
02-13-2019, 05:56 AM
https://www.facebook.com/110230282386016/posts/2105388872870137?sfns=moMick Sansom, Hummer, and GR, lol, what a group.

Whatever I do in life, I try to be very good at it. And not screw people over.

Sure I’m a keyboard racer, I cannot afford to blow $100k plus on a race car to be up front, so I will not bother. Talent or not, still need the expendable cash.

And why pay attention to the little that GR is talked about on here, we are just keyboard racers anyhow, why care? Bloomer, Bobby, JD, not a peep.

And defending someone who is sketchy, ya I’ll pass(Hummer). Where there’s smoke there is fire.

Sansom ran at Atomic. Leave it at that.

Highside Hustler25
02-13-2019, 06:04 AM
He does have a nice pic of Davenport trophies...

Maybe I've missed something along the way but is Smith tied in with Rumley/Davenport somehow? Looks to be living vicariously through ole JD. Not just the World 100 trophies but he's even listed Davenports accomplishments on his facebook page. Just seems a little strange.

zyoung25
02-13-2019, 06:11 AM
I dont see why you would all fired up over a bunch of people's opinions in the first place. I feel any time you strap into one of these cars, infront of a crowd, you had better be ready for some sort of criticism, rather it be good or bad. Some guys can handle it, and some can't.

All I know about Hummer is he has a very ugly race car. GR can drive, but would probably be better off just not to pay attention to what is said here, or anywhere else for that matter. He's done shook the bee hive now. So it's only going to get worse.

Tireguy17
02-13-2019, 06:50 AM
1. GR in thin-skinned to let people's comments on a message board affect him to the point that he FB posts about it.

2. If you are driving to Speedweeks solo, you have no business running a national tour.

3. If 2 motors lay down in a week, you again have no business running a national tour, and need a new builder.

4. Do not wear item #2 like it's a badge of honor, people shouldn't criticize you for doing it, and if anything you should be commended for it. All of that is false.

5. DO NOT blame anyone else, including strangers opinions on a message board, for the reason you quit something. That's a cop out.

adamconners
02-13-2019, 08:30 AM
There are two types of people in this world: 1.) Those that are humble 2.) Those who are about to be humbled

fastford
02-13-2019, 08:45 AM
after reading mr. smiths FB comment , i have lost any respect i had for him , and i agree with Tireguy assessment , i may be a key board jockey at times because i feel for certain i am way less funded than Mr. smith , BUT , i race when i can and help a lot of racers like me , i guess what im saying , when you try to put your self in the spot light and race above your means and fail , then be ready to accept a little bashing from us key board jockeys..........

kazual
02-13-2019, 09:33 AM
Reminds of “alligator mouth and a hummingbird butt”. Don’t know the gentleman but if you’re thin skinned about posts to social media in this day and time you best stay out of the limelight. Calling attention to yourself is a dual edged sword.

GregA12
02-13-2019, 11:18 AM
Pretty sad that a professional would feel the need to have to acknowledge and try to defend himself about the little that was said about him on here.

People do that all the time in today's age of social media. I don't see a problem in defending yourself if you feel you need to. Pro athletes, celebrities, etc, respond to Twitter criticism all the time. Some people have thicker skin and ignore it, some people don't. As for him dropping off....I also would think you were never truly prepared for the long haul in the first place if you drop off 2 races into the season. Not like it hasn't happened before though. I assume all these guys declare though because maybe they think if everything goes perfect, they could do it... and also the fact they get provisionals. Even Chuck Hummer got a provisional at Screven. I can't imagine he would've had he not declared.

ZERO25
02-13-2019, 01:02 PM
My dad always said......don't let your alligator mouth write a check, your canary behind cant cash!

I guess we know what kind of "behind" GR is....I mean, has!

Clayton_Wetter
02-13-2019, 01:22 PM
I don't really know anything about GR but was all this stuff really called for?. I would be irritated too.

Krooser
02-13-2019, 01:45 PM
Not defending Smith but...

Look at any shop and they display their big checks and trophies everywhere. While JD won the races he would have been pretty far behind the field without a car to drive. Seems to me Smith provided a means for JD to win...

Yeah he's gotten pretty out of whack on FB but he could fix all that by closing his posts to comments. Lots of business folks do that... racers too. I say take it easy and this too will pass.

I used to proudly show anyone my check from my first sportsman win at Hales Corners in 1970... $3.60!!!

RW57
02-13-2019, 02:00 PM
3.50 and we racers complain about today's purses.My first win in a hobby car in 1977 netted me 50$ I was a 17 yr old high school kid I was rich my dad was funding the car but they only payed 5 spots 50 40 30 20 10 it also cost 5$ to get in pits good times back then

Krooser
02-13-2019, 04:11 PM
3.50 and we racers complain about today's purses.My first win in a hobby car in 1977 netted me 50$ I was a 17 yr old high school kid I was rich my dad was funding the car but they only payed 5 spots 50 40 30 20 10 it also cost 5$ to get in pits good times back then

We always ran for 40% of the purse split between the coupes and sportsman at that time. I think we usually raced for about $600 total with 8 heats, a semi, a consi and the feature. Heats paid four spots, consi about 8... the semi paid all 24 cars and the 18 car feature the same... had a $50.00 Ford Starliner with a $50.00 352.... one season I made $11.00 total in winnings. The rulebook said don't spend more than you can earn!!!!

EvelB7
02-13-2019, 05:29 PM
I will defend GR a bit, raced with him for quite a few years. He took his lumps (some earned), but in the end he deserves some respect for what he is trying to do. The piece a few miss is that maybe he is trying to draw up more support by announcing he is going to run WoO; could be he was hoping to land some help that just did not happen.On the other side, GR-quit trying to defend yourself. I learned along time ago it is easier to judge others non-accomplishments than to try and accomplish something yourself. Keep doing the latter.

Barbecueboy
02-13-2019, 08:13 PM
I will defend GR a bit, raced with him for quite a few years. He took his lumps (some earned), but in the end he deserves some respect for what he is trying to do. The piece a few miss is that maybe he is trying to draw up more support by announcing he is going to run WoO; could be he was hoping to land some help that just did not happen.On the other side, GR-quit trying to defend yourself. I learned along time ago it is easier to judge others non-accomplishments than to try and accomplish something yourself. Keep doing the latter.

I like what he does....not sure I understand all the gr hate.

He always seems to be pretty fast and does it with less.....hope he pays attention to your advice.

Zonks32x
02-13-2019, 08:57 PM
We always ran for 40% of the purse split between the coupes and sportsman at that time. I think we usually raced for about $600 total with 8 heats, a semi, a consi and the feature. Heats paid four spots, consi about 8... the semi paid all 24 cars and the 18 car feature the same... had a $50.00 Ford Starliner with a $50.00 352.... one season I made $11.00 total in winnings. The rulebook said don't spend more than you can earn!!!!

My Dad always tells the story about helping Charlie Weddell at Hales, and how they won $0.50 and a case of beer.

latemodelfan
02-13-2019, 09:53 PM
What? Isn't this the fourth or fifth time he has said that he is following a tour and never made it to March?

Rich down South
02-13-2019, 10:28 PM
I don't understand why the slam on GR to begin with. So the guy said he was gonna run the WoO tour and dropped off a week in. He had unforseen motor issues. Who cares why the motors failed. Im sure his intention was to run the tour, at least for as long as he could. If success came, he would continue.

He is genuinely proud of the accomplishment with JD 2 years ago. Quite Frankly, JD needed a ride and GR gave him one. The timing was right and it was a very good short lived deal that Jonathan needed and they both benefited from.

I dont know GR from Adam but again, as we see continuously, people will jump on the negative bandwagon to talk (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) about someone to make everyone think they are in the know. As if they are so knowledgeable about GR and his personal situation.

For me, I like to watch the guy race. He is another personality in the field and adds to the show. He announced he will now drop off the tour due to motor issues. Ok, so drop off the tour. Its unfortunate but it is what it is. Why start the slamming parade.

racincowboy02
02-13-2019, 11:03 PM
I get the whole trying to get more help either it being financial or crew help by announcing that he is running the world of outlaws schedule but come on man if you don't have it by the time you leave then wouldn't it make a little better sense to stay home and try and get that funding before you venture out

EvelB7
02-14-2019, 04:41 AM
Say GR goes to Florida, runs good for two nights. Maybe someone says, 'hey, I'd like to help'...Do you think that is going to happen if he is not there? I can tell you, the longer you are away from the track the faster you fall from view... Heck, even this post on here could land him some help. As they say, 'Even bad press is better than no press'. If he needs a hand I'd ride to the track and help out if the timing worked out. Guess I need to stop in and see GR.

B_K
02-14-2019, 06:50 AM
I like what he does....not sure I understand all the gr hate.

He always seems to be pretty fast and does it with less.....hope he pays attention to your advice.

We agree on a lot of things. This ain't one of them. The guy's attitude warrants what he gets.

ZERO25
02-14-2019, 07:38 AM
Perhaps, he should take Smokey's advice...."if you're gonna be in racing, you BETTER have skin thicker than an alligator"!

fastford
02-14-2019, 10:24 AM
I don't understand why the slam on GR to begin with. So the guy said he was gonna run the WoO tour and dropped off a week in. He had unforseen motor issues. Who cares why the motors failed. Im sure his intention was to run the tour, at least for as long as he could. If success came, he would continue.

He is genuinely proud of the accomplishment with JD 2 years ago. Quite Frankly, JD needed a ride and GR gave him one. The timing was right and it was a very good short lived deal that Jonathan needed and they both benefited from.

I dont know GR from Adam but again, as we see continuously, people will jump on the negative bandwagon to talk (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) about someone to make everyone think they are in the know. As if they are so knowledgeable about GR and his personal situation.

For me, I like to watch the guy race. He is another personality in the field and adds to the show. He announced he will now drop off the tour due to motor issues. Ok, so drop off the tour. Its unfortunate but it is what it is. Why start the slamming parade.

i agree , why go on book face and call every one on 4m " classless key board racers" , he dont want to come on here and defend him self against the couple that said something about him , but instead makes a post on his FB about 4m as a whole and then want allow any one to reply , yep , that shows a lot of class......

Barbecueboy
02-14-2019, 10:35 AM
We agree on a lot of things. This ain't one of them. The guy's attitude warrants what he gets.

I haven't had any interaction with him only watched him race around the southeast...I do think the Facebook post appeared a little grayish and bratty though.

I've always liked the underdog or the rebound story in racing , probably why I'm impressed with how fast he is at times with very little support......guess what you are saying is why he doesn't have much support, lol.

I went years thinking lanigan was a complete doosh and after he was humbled a little in that cbr disaster I'm kinda liking him in his own stuff and on the rise again.....not that he is really an underdog , but he definately got a wake up call.

jog49
02-14-2019, 11:56 PM
I would think there were lots of people over the years that intended to run a national series who would have lost a couple of engines at the beginning of a season who would have been headed home just like G.R. Engines are very expensive nowadays. I watched his progression over the years after his move to North Carolina, going from a reckless abuser of his (grandpa's) equipment to a pretty darn good race car driver. And he could be very fast at times. He burned down a stout track record at Dublin, NC before its closing and, quite frankly, there were many that thought that could never happen.

Dlmfan123
02-19-2019, 04:36 PM
Sold one of his cars to Ratliff racing as well

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
02-19-2019, 05:05 PM
I believe stuff was for sale last yr also.

Hoosier_Dirt
02-19-2019, 07:43 PM
Rig and Trailer is now for sale

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
02-19-2019, 08:28 PM
Yea pretty sure whole outfit was forsale last yr too. I bet them motors were old motors that he trashed and not new.

ZERO25
02-19-2019, 08:34 PM
Yea pretty sure whole outfit was forsale last yr too. I bet them motors were old motors that he trashed and not new.

Jd got the goody out of em! :)

Hoosier_Dirt
02-19-2019, 08:49 PM
Says he is downsizing to run a more regional schedule

Krooser
02-19-2019, 11:09 PM
Without the little guys USAC and NASCAR would never had any cars in their heyday...Look how many Indy cars were built in two car garage....hundreds.