PDA

View Full Version : Shannon Babb HOF?

Snake X3
02-12-2019, 11:32 AM
What do you guys think? Should Shannon Babb be in the National Late Model Hall of Fame based on his resume thus far?

CIRF
02-12-2019, 12:15 PM
As relaxed as the criteria for DLMHOF induction seems to be Babb probably meets the benchmark standards as they've been applied in the past. I don't really agree with a few of the inductee's but I'm not the least influential regarding these decisions. I've always been a fan of Shannon Babb and he's a very talented and clean driver, I'd be happy for him to be inducted.

illiniracing
02-12-2019, 12:22 PM
I would say that he is Hall Of Fame material also.However, they really need to slow down and limit the number of inductees.They are are eventually going to run out of candidates at the rate they are going.

Snake X3
02-12-2019, 12:26 PM
As relaxed as the criteria for DLMHOF induction seems to be Babb probably meets the benchmark standards as they've been applied in the past. I don't really agree with a few of the inductee's but I'm not the least influential regarding these decisions. I've always been a fan of Shannon Babb and he's a very talented and clean driver, I'd be happy for him to be inducted.

I agree. If Eckert is in, then Babb is in. At a bare minimum he gets in as a Sportsman.

Dlmfan123
02-12-2019, 12:48 PM
He will likely reach 100 summer national wins this year. I say yes

old dirt 77
02-12-2019, 12:56 PM
With only taking 5 drivers a year. They can go along time.. Hell I can name 25 drivers just from my area that i think should be in.

thexfactor0210
02-12-2019, 12:57 PM
He is without a doubt a Hall of Famer. Just look at the resume:

2 Topless 100 wins
2 DTWC wins
1 Diamond Nationals win
2 Dixie Shootout wins
3 Prairie Dirt Classic wins
97 Summernationals wins
4 Summernations Championships

If guys like Ed Dixon, Rick Aukland, Pete Parker, Lynn Geisler, Joe Kosiski, Kris Patterson, Steve Kosiski, Roger Long, Kevin Gundaker, Mike Balzano, Bob Kosiski, and Steve Barnett are in (amongst others) then how could one say Babb is not???

IZZOJR16
02-12-2019, 01:06 PM
really??????

Zonks32x
02-12-2019, 02:12 PM

2 Topless 100 wins
2 DTWC wins
1 Diamond Nationals win
2 Dixie Shootout wins
97 Summernationals wins

If guys like Ed Dixon, Rick Aukland, Pete Parker, Lynn Geisler, Joe Kosiski, Kris Patterson, Steve Kosiski, Roger Long, Kevin Gundaker, Mike Balzano, Bob Kosiski, and Steve Barnett are in (amongst others) then how could one say Babb is not???

Quick...enlighten everyone with ALL of your knowledge on Pete Parker's career and why YOU believe he's not a DLM HoF'er??

Babb will get his induction...don't you worry, but don't discredit guys who got it done decades earlier b/c there wasn't a 4m around back then to toot their horns.

huskerdirt
02-12-2019, 04:08 PM
Quick...enlighten everyone with ALL of your knowledge on Pete Parker's career and why YOU believe he's not a DLM HoF'er??

Babb will get his induction...don't you worry, but don't discredit guys who got it done decades earlier b/c there wasn't a 4m around back then to toot their horns.

Where did he say Pete Parker wasn’t a hall of famer?

He didn’t discredit any of them. All he said, if those guys are in. Then it’s a no brainer.

ZERO25
02-12-2019, 04:40 PM
Based on his accomplishments alone........No!

TMaCiLLiNi39
02-12-2019, 04:47 PM

And you are a complete idiot...

CIRF
02-12-2019, 05:06 PM

X, I agree with you 100%. If the criteria benchmark includes all of the guys that you mentioned then Babb's career also measures up. That having been said, what's in question is whether or not the bar of accomplishment is set lower than it should be? That is a question that will have as many answers a people who are asked. My own personal feelings is that the bar that is being used is too low. But no one in charge of who is inducted asked me.

TerryM
02-12-2019, 05:14 PM
Shannon’s accomplishments (wins) to date exceed probably half of the drivers already inducted into the DLMHOF. No offense to anyone in particular, but if you don’t think Shannon Babb is a lock for induction once he’s eligible, you might want to sit this conversation out.

HoosierDirtFan
02-12-2019, 05:47 PM

Please. Dudes got more wins then half the guys in the hall of fame now that include multiple crown jewel type race wins.

pierceFAN
02-12-2019, 06:34 PM

2 Topless 100 wins
2 DTWC wins
1 Diamond Nationals win
2 Dixie Shootout wins
97 Summernationals wins

you cant count summernational wins and summernational championships...that has already been made VERY clear to me by the 4m faithful that those are irrelevant

ZERO25
02-12-2019, 06:41 PM
I posted based on HIS accomplishments not anybody elses.

Now, who's the idiot(s)!

t4g2
02-12-2019, 06:41 PM
If your not from the Midwest then yes summer nationals is irrelevant. I disagree of the old days as their used to be great competition and even today it's looking to be great this year. If think it would get more credit as they race 28 nights out of 32. No other series does that. An Babb will get in just a matter of when. I've followed him since he started in modifieds

IZZOJR16
02-12-2019, 06:45 PM
Please. Dudes got more wins then half the guys in the hall of fame now that include multiple crown jewel type race wins.those oldtimer stats are bloated and overrated compared to the modern era of dirt late model racing.

IZZOJR16
02-12-2019, 06:50 PM
imo a long with many wins you should atleast have a former or current crown jewel on your resume and - or national touring series title.

Highside Hustler25
02-12-2019, 07:04 PM
When the day comes, he's a lock. I'd say he's got a lot of racin left in him.

SBR18
02-12-2019, 07:56 PM
no question Shannon Babb is a hall of famer! When it comes to bullring racing there is no one better than the missile!!!

CIRF
02-12-2019, 10:23 PM
imo a long with many wins you should atleast have a former or current crown jewel on your resume and - or national touring series title.

I would tend to agree with your statement. But it seems that the HOF benchmark career accomplishments need not include crown jewel victories or national championships. All that aside, I'm still happy he's going in and if he doesn't there are a whole bunch who have already been inducted that don't have near the stats Shannon does.

chathamracefan
02-12-2019, 11:25 PM
I’d definitely say he is. Several big time wins along with the summer nationals dominance. Still hope he can bag one Eldora biggie before he is done. He also is a class act and an entertaining driver to watch. Races clean but hard at the same time.

klemmabyna
02-13-2019, 09:58 AM
yes to babb.

I do wonder why some insinuate the credentials of the regional superstars that raced prior to the existence of national touring series and crown jewel events are less than worthy for inclusion in the hall of fame.

t4g2
02-13-2019, 11:05 AM
Just asking is their a website that has the list of drivers in the hof? Any site that has stats wins and such of the racers? I liked Pete Parker growing up but really wasnt into racing a ton to know how many races hes won and such, Same with other drivers? Like with Babb id like to see how many total wins he has like year by year comparsions.

TackyTracker
02-13-2019, 11:17 AM
I sure hope Babb isn't done racing.. But he has enough to be in HOF no doubt

thexfactor0210
02-13-2019, 11:52 AM
Never said Parker didnt belong in the HOF. I was just stating if they are in the Babb should be for sure.

Snake X3
02-13-2019, 12:43 PM
Just asking is their a website that has the list of drivers in the hof? Any site that has stats wins and such of the racers? I liked Pete Parker growing up but really wasnt into racing a ton to know how many races hes won and such, Same with other drivers? Like with Babb id like to see how many total wins he has like year by year comparsions.

Although it is by no means 100% accurate, this site is pretty good for looking at races/careers of drivers.

https://www.thethirdturn.com/wiki/Shannon_Babb/Results/Wins_List

Here is the website for the National Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame...

http://ndlmhof.com/

CIRF
02-13-2019, 05:47 PM
yes to babb.

I do wonder why some insinuate the credentials of the regional superstars that raced prior to the existence of national touring series and crown jewel events are less than worthy for inclusion in the hall of fame.

The applied criteria for regional superstars is as ambiguous as what era is considered. Is the era under consideration specifically the modern generic dirt late models or does deliberation include the guys that drove real late model stock cars. If the guys that drove true late model stock cars are included that changes the whole scenario. In fact, the two somewhat intersect. If the specific era been determined and I've never seen it in print. If it has I would gladly stand corrected.

MUD MAESTRO
02-13-2019, 07:34 PM
Babb .....Birkhofer....Darren Miller ....Best in the Midwest will all be in the Hall. Kosiski's, Webb,and Guss Jr already there.

klemmabyna
02-13-2019, 08:30 PM
maybe shouldn't come back here, but here goes...

when I was a kid Sanger and Hansen were winning everything everywhere. and there was an earlier generation that included bob kosiski that did the same thing all throughout the Midwest. they were my heroes. so maybe my bias is what has me saying they were as good as anyone racing any where at that time.

and with that as my foundation, I am saying put them in this time frame, they would be just as competitive (dominating) today as they were way back then.

and a question for MUD MAESTRO, cause I enjoy your opinions: Boley. where does his legacy fit considering the timing of his career and finally get the opportunity to go big time?

fyi... I enjoy threads like this!

MUD MAESTRO
02-13-2019, 10:50 PM
Best memory of Steve Boley.....National tour maybe Xtreme [Lucas} at Davenport. Boley never lifting on the big flat half mile. Pretty hard to do with little banking in the corners. Thought Boley went beserk for those quick 18 second lol......As i recall Boley started his career early 1990's in the NASCAR Busch series with little successs. Later, on the Busch Allstar dirt series he did win the champonship in 2000. Just winning that series alone and a little politicking, gives him a chance to enter the Dirt Late model Hall of Fame......Nice to see so many Iowans land in the Hall.........just a personal note.... My all time favorites were Ernie Derr {the best of them all] and Red Droste a great bull ring driver.

kazual
02-14-2019, 06:24 AM
Absolutely, a fan favorite and deservedly so. Babb could add more excitement to a 10 lap heat race than some drivers could accomplish in an entire season. OT but the mention of Darren Miller caught my attention. Dropped out of racing way too early, for me he brought an added air of excitement when he rolled out for hot laps.

CIRF
02-14-2019, 10:10 AM
Best memory of Steve Boley.....National tour maybe Xtreme [Lucas} at Davenport. Boley never lifting on the big flat half mile. Pretty hard to do with little banking in the corners. Thought Boley went beserk for those quick 18 second lol......As i recall Boley started his career early 1990's in the NASCAR Busch series with little successs. Later, on the Busch Allstar dirt series he did win the champonship in 2000. Just winning that series alone and a little politicking, gives him a chance to enter the Dirt Late model Hall of Fame......Nice to see so many Iowans land in the Hall.........just a personal note.... My all time favorites were Ernie Derr {the best of them all] and Red Droste a great bull ring driver.

MUD, those memories you bring up of Davenport, Iowa put a smile on my face! I remember one night at the Winnebago County Fairgrounds in Pecatonica, Illinois Steve Boley and Kevin Weaver put on an epic show with Weaver nipping Boley in the last couple of laps!

I feel honored to have seen Ernie Derr race. It was a USAC 100 miler at Springfield on the mile. I was a grade school kid at the time but I remember that red and white #1 Ernie Drove that day.

dirt junkie
02-14-2019, 06:25 PM
Not even a question to me. Almost 100 hell tour wins and brought many fans to the edge of their seat. No one man runs a bullring cushion like Babb

TBSprintFan
02-14-2019, 06:29 PM
Yes, way better record than a lot of the drivers in the Hall of Fame

TerryM
02-14-2019, 06:36 PM
Everyone knows about Shannon’s crazy number of SN wins, but he also ranks 11th all time in Lucas Series wins and 14th all time in WOO Series wins.