PDA

View Full Version : JD

Jackdawg
02-14-2019, 08:39 AM
What’s the story in his left wheel. I heard them talk about it a little when Rigsbyvwas interviewing him? Anybody got any pics?

Highside Hustler25
02-14-2019, 09:01 AM
It looks like they cut the right rear wheel well out to disguise the right rear droop. Looked crazy.

SmithGT
02-14-2019, 10:51 AM
https://imgur.com/a/ejZ1xcG

JustAddDirt
02-14-2019, 11:24 AM
maybe they did not want to cut the LR tire....:)

Drop Shock
02-14-2019, 11:29 AM
Most guys have been making the LR wheel cut out bigger and bigger behind the wheel for the past year. JD just took it to the extreme. I think the theory is to let air in there to push up on the bottom of the deck, maybe let air out? Idk

Highside Hustler25
02-14-2019, 11:31 AM
maybe to reduce cut tires from bent sheet metal?

MRM
02-14-2019, 11:37 AM
Ah, that explains this tweet:

https://twitter.com/mbhboy/status/1095891322290851840

Dlmfan123
02-14-2019, 11:47 AM
Most guys have been making the LR wheel cut out bigger and bigger behind the wheel for the past year. JD just took it to the extreme. I think the theory is to let air in there to push up on the bottom of the deck, maybe let air out? IdkSomthing like that. That’s why they keep putting the skirts on the left rear higher and higher.

Tireguy17
02-14-2019, 11:52 AM
I hope to gawd this does not become the new trend like when everyone went to open sail panels.

Barbecueboy
02-14-2019, 11:53 AM
maybe to reduce cut tires from bent sheet metal?

So that when they sit the trophy on the back deck it doesn't settle down and cut the tire someway......Changing a tire in victory lane sux.

JustAddDirt
02-14-2019, 12:10 PM
Most guys have been making the LR wheel cut out bigger and bigger behind the wheel for the past year. JD just took it to the extreme. I think the theory is to let air in there to push up on the bottom of the deck, maybe let air out? Idk

I can see that at Volusia especially. place is pretty fast, and car is only really somewhat straight down front stretch. Rest of track it is essentially turning, or in yaw. That would let a good bit of air out quickly.

ZERO25
02-14-2019, 12:36 PM
It looks like they cut the right rear wheel well out to disguise the right rear droop. Looked crazy.

Im not sure what kind of education you have, but that's the LEFT rear! :)

Highside Hustler25
02-14-2019, 03:00 PM
Im not sure what kind of education you have, but that's the LEFT rear! :)

not if yer looking at it through a mirror:)

nc mudcat
02-14-2019, 04:03 PM
Or perhaps just a decoy. Could be the old Gary Balough trick; build stuff to draw your attention away from where he was really cheating.

Stefan2k4
02-14-2019, 05:39 PM
I think the theory is to let air in there to push up on the bottom of the deck, maybe let air out? Idk

On an airplane you might want air to "push up on the bottom" of something, but you never want that on a race car. You want air pushing down on things. Technically the air doesn't do any pushing really. It's all about Newtons 3rd law. Anytime you deflector air, or any mass, in a certain direction there will be an equal and opposite force. Anyway, "letting air out" is correct. Think about it. When the car is yawed at a slip angle in the corners, it's the same reasoning behind having the rear end open. With the right front nose dropped down close to the track and the left rear jacked way up in the air, the air coming over the bpdy and flowing out that left rear wheel well is going to be deflected upward. That's going to create down force on the left rear.

Drop Shock
02-14-2019, 06:04 PM
On an airplane you might want air to "push up on the bottom" of something, but you never want that on a race car. You want air pushing down on things. Technically the air doesn't do any pushing really. It's all about Newtons 3rd law. Anytime you deflector air, or any mass, in a certain direction there will be an equal and opposite force. Anyway, "letting air out" is correct. Think about it. When the car is yawed at a slip angle in the corners, it's the same reasoning behind having the rear end open. With the right front nose dropped down close to the track and the left rear jacked way up in the air, the air coming over the bpdy and flowing out that left rear wheel well is going to be deflected upward. That's going to create down force on the left rear.

Definitely makes since, I remember Josh Richards running something like this on the Rocket house car about 6-7 years ago. It was a real short quarter panel almost like something you’d see on the right rear at Macon or Belle Claire

rdcllk
02-14-2019, 06:10 PM
I remember that short qt panel. Was at Screven that year
Only Josh and Bloomqueist had it that way

flagone
02-14-2019, 08:32 PM
Randle Chupp and his WolfPack Team Cars long had shortened left rear fenders. Josh showed up at Screven that year and practiced with the shorty LRQ. And when I got there the next day I went down and told Mark they had to take it off. It was an unsanctioned event.

My guess here though is that JD made them overly large to draw attention to the problem that it has/can or will become.

http://www.dirtondirt.com/story_3929.html

Kromulous
02-15-2019, 08:56 AM
Well it’s not working, JD is getting smoked like all the rest of em by Rocketshepp...