PDA

View Full Version : Old chassis vs new chassis

Mopar DLM
02-14-2019, 03:14 PM
80's-90's VS 2010's. Is there really that much difference in the chassis itself. I know tubing and flex will
matter some but for the most part is it just shock technology and some front end geometry. Maybe just
a better understanding of how stuff actually works now. Are the throw away cars of today actually faster?

doyle hargraves
02-14-2019, 05:37 PM
Problem with most older stuff is that they were not designed for today’s set ups. The biggest problem to overcome is dragging the right front frame rail and cross member. It’s really just economics. You could get an old car and cut everything apart and update it or just start with a newer car. Your time is worth something

Jking24
02-14-2019, 07:24 PM
Also their wasn't too many 4 bar cars back then so most cars had much wider frame rails to accommodate leaf's. The lateral movement of the rear is a big problem with the older chassis. This will be a issue way before the front will. And let's not forget most of them were really really heavy lol

Krooser
02-14-2019, 11:22 PM
I have two Mastersbilts.... a 90's wide combo that was originally a leaf car now c/o and an '04 Smackdown. Both square tube.

I narrowed the rear frame rail (rightside) for more tire clearance. Mastersbilt offers a nice flat x member that can be used on either car ($200.00) and the right side frame rail can easily be raised with a 3' piece of 2" sq. tube.

There differences in the inner control arm mounts and the rear four bar mounts are different as well as the j bar mounts. The newer cars use different length a arms and four bar lengths are different, too.

Really not a lot when you sit the two next to eaxh other.

I'm going to install that new raised x member in my Smack and raise the right rail.

There are some good members here who can, and will, chime in, too.