PDA

View Full Version : What can promoters do to improve the fan experience?

Returning to Dirt
02-19-2019, 07:31 PM
http://insidecircletrack.com/2019/02/turn-2-blog-improving-the-fan-experience-with-prns-lenny-batycki/

Short track racing, whether dirt or pavement, has to be all about the fans. So, what can promoters do to improve the fan experience?

We are joined for this Q&A piece by the track announcer at Atlanta Motor Speedway and the host of PRN at the Track Lenny Batycki.

fryefan
02-19-2019, 08:52 PM
1. Start on time.
2. Have a racey track.
3. Get people on their way home by 10 pm.

kidrock
02-19-2019, 09:23 PM
Video arcade for the kids. Dad and Mom can go to watch the races and the kids can still play their video games.

Barbecueboy
02-19-2019, 09:36 PM
Good reasonable concessions with a notable track special item or two.

Decent sound system in all grandstand areas.

Offer family, military and sr discounts or ticket packages ( monthly, yearly etc.)

Working scoreboards with working timer.

thexfactor0210
02-19-2019, 09:50 PM
Organization and ending races earlier! Being at the track for six hours until midnight is not a good thing.

high groove19
02-19-2019, 09:54 PM
1 Lower admission : tracks are charging just as much to get in on nights that they are not running supers as nights that they are

2 Offer reduced rates for kids to get into the pits. I know of 1 track that does this in Pennsylvania and their attendance is great

3 All Super races should be time trial races. The pill draw for heat races always seems to favor the promoters favorite drivers

4 Less Divisions : Some tracks are running 8 divisions and that is way too much.

I'm sure a lot of people will not agree with my thoughts but these are just my opinions. I'm a huge Super late fan it is becoming increasingly difficult to see a good Super weekly show without driving over 3 hours.

PRCKartRacer9
02-19-2019, 10:12 PM
Mansfield kids pit pass was $20 for the Lucas race. There needs to be a good playground at tracks

TerryM
02-19-2019, 10:17 PM
Ha ... don’t get me started.

Bigdirtfan
02-19-2019, 10:24 PM
Fryefan has it 100% right.

Shiny Side Up 18
02-19-2019, 10:38 PM
Time management is HUGE. Have the track READY for competition at the advertised start time. For specials, run the premiere feature early in the order. Set a goal ending time for the program and strive to be done at or close to that time, without dragging things out. When one race is on track, the next race should already be in staging. ENFORCE IT. If a driver doesn't make the call to staging in time, too bad (for local classes, obviously). You have to cater to the people coming through the front gate, because they do not have to come back. Make them want to come back. You get one chance to make a first impression with a prospective new fan. I'm a diehard, so I'll sit through almost anything, but a lot of people won't. This is a bit of a sore subject for me, as I have sat through some shows that you would almost have to go out of your way to drag out as long as they were, and then hear the people I was sitting with (who are also diehards) say they would never go back to that particular track. Let me stop before this post devolves into a full-blown rant. Lol.

champion24
02-19-2019, 10:45 PM
Video arcade for the kids. Dad and Mom can go to watch the races and the kids can still play their video games.

We need kids off the video games!! Being out in the real world and watching racing is great!!

Krooser
02-19-2019, 11:20 PM
Playgrounds...

Fun events...t shirt cannon... Drivers autograph sessions... Kids race car rides... Pick a winner contests with good prizes.... 2-4-1 pricing on certain nights... I owned a couple minivans and we ran " mom's in minivans" races where we pulled females out of the grandstand to run four lap events. It's not racing folks it's show bidness...

TBSprintFan
02-20-2019, 02:49 AM
Playgrounds...

Fun events...t shirt cannon... Drivers autograph sessions... Kids race car rides... Pick a winner contests with good prizes.... 2-4-1 pricing on certain nights... I owned a couple minivans and we ran " mom's in minivans" races where we pulled females out of the grandstand to run four lap events. It's not racing folks it's show bidness...

We used to have spectator drags (2 cars from a dead start for a green white checkered race with the winner going on and the loser done, normally would have from 6 to 10 cars or trucks) at our track when it was open, but that is over 25 years ago, insurance probably would not allow something like that anymore.

1forthe$
02-20-2019, 03:30 AM
1.) Track must be ready at start time. Then have a plan to efficiently prep/re-condition the track during a 15 minute intermission. You have to have a "track prep leader" calling the shots. everyone cant just go out there and freelance. Someone who watches what the track is doing during the heat races, formulates a plan and communicates it and then will rally his guys to hit it hard as the last heat or bmain pulls off the track.. and that person leads by watching from a distance, and jumping in to help when absolutely needed. Every track prep person having a radio and understanding how to use it is key in that too.
2.) Order of events..no more than 4-5 classes for weekly shows and don't run the late models last. I know promoters want every nickel from concessions they can get, but im a latemodel fan. if you make me sit through an intermission and 4 classes I don't particularly care for, then I am less likely to come back often. I know every class wants to race in front of the big crowd, so maybe always have the late models as the 2nd feature class, and rotate who gets the first feature. If its a late model special (10k+) maybe only have 1 or 2 support classes that night at the most. Chances are that you have fans who have traveled several hours to attend. respect their time its gonna take to get home.
3.) the fan experience, I like the idea above about a greeter or two. All it would take is giving a person a free ticket or two to do that. (I would love to do that actually.) That person could vacate their job after say the first set of heat races, which could be maybe the street stock division or something. Also having the fans all turn their phone flash lights on and waving them during the parade laps of the headlining division one is cool. and have the drivers wave back and rev engines at that time. (Tri-state Speedway in Haubstadt, In does this and it really connects well with all age groups I think, and I think it probably amps the drivers up a bit to see the crowd into the program) T-Shirt cannons, or just throwing a few during intermission is always good. Maybe even a cheap firework or two go off during that time. Some upbeat music while the features are pulling onto the track is a great thing, this also amps up the atmosphere. Selfie station with with tracks name and maybe a show car is a good thing. I think would really help promote your place/event for minimal dollars.
4.) Having a signature dish at the concessions is a great thing for fans attending, and promoting your place. I have heard enough about those strawberry shortcakes that I am gonna get one if I ever am able get to a race in Florida. I certainly don't ever visit Eldora without having cheeseballs.. usually 5 times. lol
5.) Lastly the announcer and his volume. This person is the face/voice of your track. He needs to have a good voice and speaking ability. He/She needs to connect with the fans by being funny, and also knowledgeable about whos on the track. I don't care to hear the 26 sponsors on every car, but I do like to hear where the driver is from and maybe a major accomplishment, or how long he has been racing. If im from out of town and I don't really know anyone at the track, im likely to feel a connection if someone is close from my hometown. As some said before, I hate when they scream. Getting excited is a good thing, but blowing my ear drums out is not needed. I also do like to hear most things he has to say.. whether its promotions, on track events, or things going on while the races are happening. I love when im at the races and an announcer is keeping up with a sporting event that the community or region will be interested in, and gives an update or two. Just don't over do that too much. about 2 updates is good for me. And it will almost certainly get fans who don't know each other talking if they like opposing teams. I have met many track friends that way.
6.)restrooms need to be decent at least. they don't have to be fancy, but nothing is worst than hearing my wife b!t&h about the ladies restroom being nasty. have someone assigned to checking them at least once during the night. I also don't like taking a leak in a troff, or at a urinal and worrying that im gonna get someone elses urine splashed back on me. Its not that big of an investment to build some walls between them for pete's sake.

sorry for the long post, but this was a topic worth talking about to me. In my mind, a LOT of promoters really miss the mark with these issues we have all stated, and in my mind a lot of them are pretty simple things.

kidrock
02-20-2019, 06:25 AM
We need kids off the video games!! Being out in the real world and watching racing is great!!

Well hate to tell you but, some kids don't like watching the races. My family has been into racing for longer than I have been alive but, my son had no desire to go to the races. We took him anyway and he hated. Once he was old enough to stay home we let him. Yes he was playing video games but, my wife and I said at least he is at home and not out causing any problems or getting himself into trouble. Not only that he got interested in computers and has since build his own computers and has a good job in the technology field so it worked out well for him.

So I said a video arcade at the track so, isn't that being out in the real world?

dirtMAN007
02-20-2019, 06:33 AM
1 Lower admission : tracks are charging just as much to get in on nights that they are not running supers as nights that they are

2 Offer reduced rates for kids to get into the pits. I know of 1 track that does this in Pennsylvania and their attendance is great

3 All Super races should be time trial races. The pill draw for heat races always seems to favor the promoters favorite drivers

4 Less Divisions : Some tracks are running 8 divisions and that is way too much.

I'm sure a lot of people will not agree with my thoughts but these are just my opinions. I'm a huge Super late fan it is becoming increasingly difficult to see a good Super weekly show without driving over 3 hours.

Can a pill draw be “FIXED” ? Just asking

3 wide
02-20-2019, 06:42 AM
There are a lot of problems with race track promoters but the biggest one an the reason most tracks are out of business is they want to race all night if you have so many classes just rotate them from one week to the next you don't need to run everything every night but most promoters don't listen to the fans anyway and then they wonder why they went out of business.

kazual
02-20-2019, 06:54 AM
Playgrounds are ok as long as the child is accompanied by an adult, the track isn’t your babysitter. Have clean restrooms for the women at the very least. Run premier class features first after intermission. A track we attend has a rule that any car having a flat or that stops on the track during heats is done for that race, they go directly to the B feature or tail of the feature. Tough rule at times but it hastens the program. In general promoters should act like they care, you may be fine with being at the races for 6 hours but the fans are probably not.

RRRKKK
02-20-2019, 07:33 AM
Go to WHEATLAND !!!!!

dirt crow
02-20-2019, 10:15 AM
No intermissions!!! EVER!!!!! Keep the program rolling!! .....I’d also like to say this cause I see it all the time. The comments on playgrounds made it pop in my mind. If you are bringing your infant to the races, your a bad parent. Period. End of discussion.

Clayton_Wetter
02-20-2019, 12:03 PM
Resign!!!! That would be a great start at local track!!!

Kromulous
02-20-2019, 12:15 PM
Stop charging $40 to get in a 10k to win show, and cut out the $4 a beer BS !

Josh Bayko
02-20-2019, 01:22 PM
1. Keep the show at 3-4 hours.
2. Less weekly divisions. If you have more than 4, you're doing it wrong.
3. Clean bathrooms.
4. Varied food choices in the concessions.
5. Get an old school bus and take kids on tours through the pits.

Winston_Wolfe
02-20-2019, 01:30 PM
1. Run the Super Late Model feature as early in the program as possible. After that, folks can stay for as many classes as they want. 2. Start on time and keep a race on the track continuously except for a brief intermission. 3. If you run more than 2 or 3 classes, either do pill draws or qualify them after the Super Late Model feature. I am sorry, but we do not drive 6 or 8 hours to see your local classes.4. Do not run out of drinks and food. There is a Walmart on every freaking corner, so send somebody there if you didn't plan for the crowd you ended up with. 5. Announcers: Report the show, don't try and become the show. Sometimes silence is golden so people can enjoy talking with one another.6. Have a three spins/caution rule and the car is black flagged.7. Put a time limit on support class races. Sometimes, it is just not their night.8. If you advertise that gates open at 4:00 PM, do not let people save any seats prior to that.

chupp n bloomer fan
02-20-2019, 02:33 PM
We used to have spectator drags (2 cars from a dead start for a green white checkered race with the winner going on and the loser done, normally would have from 6 to 10 cars or trucks) at our track when it was open, but that is over 25 years ago, insurance probably would not allow something like that anymore.I did them in about 2000 at Sharon. Lost to a kid in his Moms Blazer. Had a 91? silver two door Cavalier. Poor car.

Tried not telling my Dad, picture was in the program, lol.

Love to race, just not going to dedicate the time or money.

tb1545
02-20-2019, 03:25 PM
Reasonable time, Clean facilities, decent parking (even security for that parking, wouldn't hurt a security shirt to drive a golf cart through the lot every 30 minutes, or even lighting) most things that can improve a racetrack literally cost nothing except maybe a little elbow grease.
Look at stadium designs for the ball sports and even nascar these days. Multiple restaurants, bars, standing patios, hall of fames. People's attention spans are getting shorter and shorter these days. Sitting in the same spot and watching an event for multiple hours just isn't as desired as it once was. I'd love to see more places with party decks, Wheatland put in 2 bars its a neat change of pace. A track hall of fame, or show cars up behind the bleachers wouldn't cost much, but would give a fan an easy 15 minute break. Covered or even indoor spaces, while actually costing money is a huge thing to help elevate the fan experience.

Tracks need to bring back a destruction derby crew even 1 time a month for dumb stuff to make the fans laugh or see crashes that don't involve a pissed off racer (and family) or 2. Also mix up the shows. I get bored seeing the same 6 classes run heats and features every week. How about double features, topless events, run what you brung, bounty races, pay the guy that's won the last 7 features an extra $200 for starting last. Do something to provide a fan a unique experience that week. Pick a couple racers to pit behind the stands so fans can see what teams actually do the whole night.
But the main thing a promotor can do is try. Many of us understand promoting these days is a lot of time to chase the $0 to a small income, but we need more promotors and less gate openers.

kazual
02-20-2019, 03:51 PM
Saw Wheatland mentioned, we live within an hour and go often. In fairness using Wheatland as a benchmark is unfair, few have the budget, staff, and community support it does. But there are great promoters who put big efforts into their shows elsewhere. As much as we enjoy LOS there are two others we like as much, just a different way of providing the customer with a good experience. But the consistency is starting on time, running a prompt show, good racing surface, reasonable concessions, clean restrooms and the general idea that your admission dollars are appreciated. It isn’t rocket science.

fastford
02-20-2019, 04:14 PM
im with you one the infant thing crow , never understood why some one would bring a 6 month old baby to a dirt track , but you see it all the time , cant be good on a baby that little , maybe the track should have a minimum age to enter......

Hoosier
02-20-2019, 04:20 PM
This is one of the best 4m posts this year.

rdcllk
02-20-2019, 05:13 PM
How's having a minimum age to enter. Getting ppl to the track? Have to pay babysitter so can go watch a race.
Just adds to the cost
My six month old was with me. When I raced all the time
He 28 now. Always talking about getting to go with me.
Some of his best memories.

superstock79
02-20-2019, 06:59 PM
No one will EVER get the promoters to stop with the 6 classes a night bullsh!t. Figure at my local track, we have atleast 25 Hornets on a given night, each car usually has atleast the driver and a couple buddies, so 25 x3 = 75 people. 75 x $30(pit pass) is $2250 just for people with the cars, not counting more than just the 2 per car or anyone they bring to the stands. The class races for $125 to WIN.... drivers get screwed, promoter gets rich.... do that time's 6 classes and your making a good wage..

coolfool_2
02-20-2019, 07:51 PM
Great thread. I hope some promotors actually read these replies. I think the #1 point is to run a timely show. Get the fans and drivers home by 11 at least. Nothing worse than sitting around waiting for your feature to run and you see people that finished up their night racing at a track 30 minutes away and they are able to catch your feature. Yeah, that happens often. Keep the kids entertained. Have bicycle races or power wheels races on the concourse during downtime. Have a social media presence! Show pictures of track work during the week, give away a pair of tickets to fans that share posts Be interactive, social media presence is huge in todays digital world. Post pictures of drivers thru the week, sharing facts or racing resumes. Its not all about the Saturday night race, its about driving people to your page, getting people interested and excited about the races the next weekend.

kidrock
02-20-2019, 08:34 PM
I know of a promoter that had some of us that raced or even did work at the track go around the neighborhoods and pass out free tickets and most of the people were so pissed off because of the noise coming from the race track and they were not interested in the free tickets. They even told us don't you ever come back here again. A friend of mine told one guy "Why don't come over and see what was making all that noise" and I thought the guy was going to punch him in the nose lol. We would have been better off to go to a different town to try and give away free tickets lol.

Same promoter had specials for each class at some point in the year that paid more money but, did not draw more fans or cars for that matter. That's when I learned throwing more money at it does not mean the cars are going to come.

Same promoter had raffled off a 4 cylinder race car at the banquet hoping to get more cars and he did gain a couple of cars but, not as much as we thought it would.

So in my opinion there are no easy answers to get more fans or cars to the track but, all things people have said on here can only help.

Zonks32x
02-20-2019, 09:18 PM
1) Scout Night
Has to be 100 Boy Scout/Girl Scout troops within 40 miles of many tracks
Free admission for scouts...gonna make it back in food sales
2) Little League Night
Same idea as above...
3) Town Night
Everybody from (insert town here) gets in for 1/2 price or free
Could do two towns/week if the track wanted
That's 24-30 communities in a race season
4) kid's Ticket + Concession pkg
Throw in a hot dog & soda with that ticket
5) Meet Drivers during Intermission
Make a couple drivers available to meet kids behind the main grandstand for pics/autographs during track prep, etc.
Could be different drivers each week. Male drivers, Female drivers, late model, 4-banger, kids don't care, they'd love it.
5b) Have a Racecar behind the grandstand kids could take a picture by, or heaven forbid sit in. All these vintage racecar clubs out there...let them be a part of it.
6) If room allows...
Rock wall for kids during intermission
Probably could get it for free if you allow them to hand out coupons to their business
7) Local High School pep band to perform National Anthem
You want young fans, you better get them to the track
8) BBQ Cookoff night
Let your local best compete for bragging rights and instead of spending $ on another hot dog or stale nachos, your fans spend a few bucks to enjoy some good Q
9) 1/2 price admission to anyone from out of state
Not ideal for a track close to a state line, but could work at a lot of tracks
People travel for work, vacations, etc. give them an incentive to check you out

Lots of great ideas on this thread

jhanson
02-20-2019, 09:20 PM
schedule a seminar with the Kaufman brothers of Cedar Lake Speedway

WisWildManFan
02-20-2019, 09:35 PM
Inverts always seem to be better for the fans

fastford
02-20-2019, 11:36 PM
How's having a minimum age to enter. Getting ppl to the track? Have to pay babysitter so can go watch a race.
Just adds to the cost
My six month old was with me. When I raced all the time
He 28 now. Always talking about getting to go with me.
Some of his best memories.

so does he remember those races at 6 months old , that was your choice , neither of mine went till they were 5 or 6 and wanted to go , which they got in free then so probably did not help the "track" much , but either way , you did it your way and i did it mine , i still dont think its right to bring a 6 month old to the track , but maybe your right , its the parents decision and not the tracks..........

BadlandsBandit12
02-21-2019, 12:33 AM
Get all races done before 10pm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nobody wants to get home after midnight, that is just not cool.

TBSprintFan
02-21-2019, 01:41 AM
I did them in about 2000 at Sharon. Lost to a kid in his Moms Blazer. Had a 91? silver two door Cavalier. Poor car.

Tried not telling my Dad, picture was in the program, lol.

Love to race, just not going to dedicate the time or money.

Was your dad more mad that you raced or that you lost? Lol

GEAR_HEAD
02-21-2019, 04:18 AM
Tyler County had the best policy ever when BDS was running it. They guaranteed that the Late Model feature would be on the track by 9:30. No matter where they were in the program, they would bring out the Supers at 9:30. It was the best policy ever and I used to go there a lot more back then than I do now. Every track needs a policy like this, especially when they run every division under the sun.

chupp n bloomer fan
02-21-2019, 04:27 AM
Was your dad more mad that you raced or that you lost? LolLol. Neither. Big things like that, didn’t push his buttons. But when you smash a styrofoam cooler when you’re like 6, that he specifically said don’t, it was butt whoopin time.

Can’t say I’m much different, the key is, if I tell you do not do something, and you do it, then yeah, I’m ticked.

zyoung25
02-21-2019, 06:19 AM
We used to have spectator drags (2 cars from a dead start for a green white checkered race with the winner going on and the loser done, normally would have from 6 to 10 cars or trucks) at our track when it was open, but that is over 25 years ago, insurance probably would not allow something like that anymore.

There are a few pavement tracks I know of that still do the spectator drags. Rockford in Illinois is one. They done them during the time they had the place covered in dirt for a few. New Smyrna does them as well. Here is a video of gt350r getting junked during one.

https://youtu.be/warjHif8aM8

I would definetly travel some place to go watch one if the cars were worth going to go watch.

kazual
02-21-2019, 07:35 AM
You throw out some great ideas to involve community groups such as Boy Scouts, etc. I have to agree. But if their experience is bad restrooms, drunks in the stands, lousy concessions, chaos on the track, and too long of a program we’ve just confirmed what they may have already heard that is negative about their local track. Point is they’ve got to have a positive experience once you get them in the gate. We long time ardent fans will put up with it, casual fans won’t.

flagone
02-21-2019, 08:15 AM
This is a very good post. I like and appreciate getting thoughts and ideas from fans. I have put a few of these in my phone to use.

I also believe in a timely show. Any time I am involved in making a schedule I always put time limits on support classes. But I also want tracks and fans to be fair. Those guys deserve the respect and to be treated fairly too. So don't expect their time limits to be ridiculously short.

Not making any excuses for any tracks but I do want to offer my perspective on a couple of things. Unfortunately 15 minutes worth of track prep won't work in some areas of the country just because of the make up of the surface. At most places around the southeast reworking a track will take well more than 15 minutes.

I am not a big fan of intermissions at all. I know that sometimes they are necessary for several different reasons. But they can kill the flow and momentum - and sometimes even the excitement / anticipation - of a show.

I also believe that the headliner shouldn't be the last feature. But I will say if the track has done its part and got the big guns out in a timely manner, do yourself a favor and stick around. Some of the best racing you will see happens in those support classes. And who knows you may have witness to a future star of the sport as they cut their teeth.

I am a huge fan of finding ways to involve kids and the community. I look at Fairbury and how that entire town is involved with the track. They have done a good job keeping everyone involved.

chupp n bloomer fan
02-21-2019, 08:39 AM
There are a few pavement tracks I know of that still do the spectator drags. Rockford in Illinois is one. They done them during the time they had the place covered in dirt for a few. New Smyrna does them as well. Here is a video of gt350r getting junked during one.

https://youtu.be/warjHif8aM8

I would definetly travel some place to go watch one if the cars were worth going to go watch.Beautiful car, nice color. But it is a Mustang driver, so there’s that. I swear, I’m sure I’ll catch flack for it, but crotch rockets, and Mustangs, insert key, or put key fob in pocket, it stores your brains in there. Total idiots.

Really a shame, that Mustang is tough. Like I’d almost go against my rule of absolutely no Mustang because of how most people who own one drive.

chupp n bloomer fan
02-21-2019, 08:40 AM
This is a very good post. I like and appreciate getting thoughts and ideas from fans. I have put a few of these in my phone to use.

I also believe in a timely show. Any time I am involved in making a schedule I always put time limits on support classes. But I also want tracks and fans to be fair. Those guys deserve the respect and to be treated fairly too. So don't expect their time limits to be ridiculously short.

Not making any excuses for any tracks but I do want to offer my perspective on a couple of things. Unfortunately 15 minutes worth of track prep won't work in some areas of the country just because of the make up of the surface. At most places around the southeast reworking a track will take well more than 15 minutes.

I am not a big fan of intermissions at all. I know that sometimes they are necessary for several different reasons. But they can kill the flow and momentum - and sometimes even the excitement / anticipation - of a show.

I also believe that the headliner shouldn't be the last feature. But I will say if the track has done its part and got the big guns out in a timely manner, do yourself a favor and stick around. Some of the best racing you will see happens in those support classes. And who knows you may have witness to a future star of the sport as they cut their teeth.

I am a huge fan of finding ways to involve kids and the community. I look at Fairbury and how that entire town is involved with the track. They have done a good job keeping everyone involved.Nice post Kelley.

dirt crow
02-21-2019, 08:49 AM
In regards to all the ideas for kids, bike races, etc, do those things on regular weekly shows. Never on special events. Your out of towners like me don’t give a rip about it.

powerslide
02-21-2019, 09:43 AM
Pay 15-20% extra for drivers with open trailers. Big old enclosed with a racecar, out of sight out of mind.

allWIS1
02-21-2019, 10:07 AM
Pay 15-20% extra for drivers with open trailers. Big old enclosed with a racecar, out of sight out of mind.

This post got me thinking how it was back in the day with open trailers going through town on the way to the track. People seen the cars and it created exitment and drew people out to the track.
Now days with the big enclosed haulers and trailers it isn't the same for all people. Many think it's just a bunch of rich kids going to race and then when they don't win throw a fit afterwards.
I hope some of the posts on here sink in with today's promoters because much of what has been posted so far is the truth about the state today's racing is in.

President Clinton
02-21-2019, 10:21 AM
Time management and exciting racing (track prep) is required for new fans to be interested. Take anyone to Bowman Gray and they love it (even though it’s asphalt). Promoters there are genius at using so-called social “bashing “ to their advantage(exciting) Most promoters can’t handle constructive criticism and immediately start with “don’t bash tracks”. Kills me that they will not address the problem???? If people continue to “bash” about the same things...dust,time,etc. chances are,it’s a problem?

CIRF
02-21-2019, 10:40 AM
Okay, I'll bore everyone with my testimonial regarding when in life I began going to races. I was 8 years old and only during the last 2 years of high school and 4 years of college did I refrain from attending dirt races. Other than those 6 years of lapse's in judgement, due mainly to lack of disposable resources, we've been a faithful dirt racing supporter which includes a period of a 7 or 8 years when we were involved with a multi time championship caliber dirt late model team.

The starting times, track prep, excessive support classes, arbitrary rules enforcement, facility maintenance and aesthetics, length of program, blah blah blah, have all been adequately, if not excessively expressed.

Besides all the obvious my largest concern is the incorporation of policies of interest to young people. We all have heard and are aware of the aging of the fan base of dirt track racing in general. I do not pretend to understand how to more successfully get the kids interested and keep them interested but it needs to be a top priority. If that includes making dirt track racing more palatable to families then so be it. It's been done in the stadium motorcycle racing world and also with the monster trucks. Dirt racing really needs to figure a way to tap into that fan base but I'm not smart enough to lay out a plan to do it, but I'm sure someone, somewhere is.

welderron105
02-21-2019, 12:54 PM
Just got back from Florida,I only went to Volusia 1 night because they were gouging prices. Three forths of grandstands reserved? Wont be back for a long time! Races wasnt that good.
East bay,same way,not much value for the High admission price, less than 3 hours of racing.
I could have aforded to go more, just wasnt going to be Gouged, too much good racing coming up in my backyard at reasonable prices.
Did enjoy visiting Sis in Florida and the flea markets. If you dont want to run people off, keep prices reasonable!

Clayton_Wetter
02-21-2019, 01:43 PM
Okay, I'll bore everyone with my testimonial regarding when in life I began going to races. I was 8 years old and only during the last 2 years of high school and 4 years of college did I refrain from attending dirt races. Other than those 6 years of lapse's in judgement, due mainly to lack of disposable resources, we've been a faithful dirt racing supporter which includes a period of a 7 or 8 years when we were involved with a multi time championship caliber dirt late model team.

The starting times, track prep, excessive support classes, arbitrary rules enforcement, facility maintenance and aesthetics, length of program, blah blah blah, have all been adequately, if not excessively expressed.

Besides all the obvious my largest concern is the incorporation of policies of interest to young people. We all have heard and are aware of the aging of the fan base of dirt track racing in general. I do not pretend to understand how to more successfully get the kids interested and keep them interested but it needs to be a top priority. If that includes making dirt track racing more palatable to families then so be it. It's been done in the stadium motorcycle racing world and also with the monster trucks. Dirt racing really needs to figure a way to tap into that fan base but I'm not smart enough to lay out a plan to do it, but I'm sure someone, somewhere is.

We'll do it all again blah blah blah within a years time CIRF, ain't it great????? :)

Just save, copy and paste when the time comes!!!

dirt crow
02-21-2019, 02:13 PM
Just got back from Florida,I only went to Volusia 1 night because they were gouging prices. Three forths of grandstands reserved? Wont be back for a long time! Races wasnt that good.
East bay,same way,not much value for the High admission price, less than 3 hours of racing.
I could have aforded to go more, just wasnt going to be Gouged, too much good racing coming up in my backyard at reasonable prices.
Did enjoy visiting Sis in Florida and the flea markets. If you dont want to run people off, keep prices reasonable!

East bay, 40 bucks admission, 3-4 hrs of racing, no support classes, best in the business racing, I freaking loved it. Worth every penny!

CCHIEF
02-21-2019, 02:28 PM
Gambling !

Thedoctor
02-21-2019, 02:34 PM
I wasn’t there but if it was 40 bucks every night at east bay, including those two, 6000 to win shows , that’s pretty excessive. You can get into the final night of Crown Jewels for that price.

dirt crow
02-21-2019, 02:44 PM
5k, 7k, 12k shows. 30, 35, 40 bucks admission I believe. Packed out every night. So I guess it’s not excessive. ...bunch of yall think everything should be 15-25 bucks. Your wrong. It cost more to see the best drivers in the country race. And I was beyond glad to pay it.

ALLDIRT
02-21-2019, 03:09 PM
Instead of inviting people to a hillbilly hole , you have to have a place decent enough for a a family to want to come to . I mean if your going to run a business , it has to be family friendly . People have to many options .This is not the nineteen fifties or sixties no more .

Illtsate32
02-21-2019, 03:20 PM
Here's a thought about babies and toddlers, before anyone bites my head off, how about tracks can have a nursery kinda like a planet fitness does. You can drop your baby or toddler off, it's not like you would be far from them and could check on them multiple times...I'd hate to be judged if you are I diehard fan and can't find a babysitter, I'm not saying it's a wise decision to bring them bit let's not condemn them and offer a solution...

Clayton_Wetter
02-21-2019, 04:07 PM
Here's the solution. You don't bring an infant to a racetrack.

dirt crow
02-21-2019, 04:19 PM
I agree 100% with Clayton. Can’t find a babysitter, you stay home with your child. I don’t care if it’s the World 100. You stay home. They’ll be other races when they’re older.

And as far as track personnel watching my baby in a dirt track daycare, no. Not a chance. I’d give up going to racing all together before some nasty looking chain smoking granny watched my infant. Lol

Barbecueboy
02-21-2019, 04:54 PM
Maybe have a designated playroom or something like that where parents of infants could take them to get them away from the noise , heat or cold but even that would be a huge financial stretch or liability.

But to take a child to the track and leave them with someone you have no idea about or could check the credentials on??? No way, no how that would be a good idea.

Best idea as someone else already said, if you aren't comfortable with them there with you.....stay home with them and come back in a couple years when they are ready to be there.

I like the idea of letting the fans as a group make a lap around the track on foot with some of the drivers as sort of a 10/15 minute meet and greet prior to hot laps and qualifying.....this would take planning and no last minute track prep for it to work.......every new person I bring with me is always amazed at how cool it is to pull into the pits and get up and close to the drivers and teams as they are getting ready, unloading etc.........park em inside in turn 1 as the supers take the green and it's totally fuhgetaboutit....they are hooked after that.

fastford
02-21-2019, 05:02 PM
crow , we are definitely on the same page with this one , any one that thinks more of a race than there infant dont need children , I am not gone condemn the nursery idea , BUT , i dam sure would have to personally know the baby sitter before i would even consider it , and probably not then.......

CarolinaDirt
02-21-2019, 05:06 PM
1) I think as I get older and bring my wife and family along restrooms have to be a top priority. Specifically for the women. Nothing makes my wife say I will never be back to that place than a disgusting bathroom that hasn't been updated since 1970. Me I am ok with it give me a porta potty and I am happy, but if you want more customers that's the first place to start to get the women to want to come with us.

2) Way too many classes , with live streaming of Lucas and WOO . I lose my patience being forced to watch a 3 car street stock, or 3 car front wheel drive race that one car runs away with. Run that class last . Alot of times with these tracks running 8-10 supports they put a race first like that. It doesn't leave a good impression on new people, and it tries the patience of us die hards .

If you want to keep fans and get new people showcase the classes with alot of cars that produce good racing. Way too much this class needs to be first because we have done it that way for 30 years. Show us why we should want to come back next week .

Most people go home before they even get to the good racing. I see it all the time average Joe's heading for the door before the limited or crates or supers get to the track. You drag the night out with classes you know will not provide good racing before you get to the good stuff. Showcase it before it gets to that point. You have a great race but half of your audience didnt see it because they got tired and already went home .

3) Not only do we have alot of classes they ALL look the same . I used to love modified hobbies when I was younger because it was different. Now they look just like a shorter version of a latemodel. My wife often asks me after every division comes on the track are these latemodels? If she cant tell , new people aren't going to be able to tell.

Touching on that I have never understood why ump open wheel modifieds havent taken off in the south. Promoters should be pushing it finding a way to make them work getting them to the track or started racing to get people interested in them. Why it's a different type of car that doesn't look like a latemodel. It's something different .

4) Timely shows , I have had this conversation with other race fans and promoters should see it like this because it's simple. If I come over to your house to watch a ballgame , I want to see the ballgame not spend the night with you. The same analogy applies to racing and racetracks . I came there for a reason, not for you to drag it out to sell more hotdogs or watch Joe support class with 3 cars in it.

Since this is advice for promoters , just to let you know if you have an intermission to sell more food out of spite I will go hungry and stop at huddle house on the way home . I will also not be back .

5) The greatest thing I have seen to get young people involved is by a local track here Blue Ridge Motor Sports Park. Every week they have a power wheels race for the kids . They take the winners picture and feature it on their Facebook page. I would even suggest buying a couple power wheels to provide to kids that dont have one or didnt bring their own.

Everyone likes to see the kids win myself included .

Illtsate32
02-22-2019, 02:06 AM
Of course with proper vetting of the sitters. Js people do it every day at places like Golds Gym and bowling alleys they have nurseries...

kazual
02-22-2019, 08:36 AM
If I was a promoter no way in heck I’d take responsibility for a race track daycare center, there’s much better things to devote resources to. In my state child care facilities have to be licensed, adequately staffed and appropriately insured. Go though all that to provide babysitting for half a dozen infants that shouldn’t be at the track in the first place? Yeah, that’s a prize winning economic formula for ya.

jog49
02-22-2019, 10:23 AM
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! TIME MANAGEMENT seems to be the overriding concern here. We've all been to three hour racing nights somewhere that lasted what seemed like 24 hours. People bringing their kids to tracks can't stay there all night. Treat your patrons like humans rather than animals by having good, quality foods and clean rest rooms. Help those in the stands gain racing knowledge with good sound systems, good lighting, scoreboards that work will all the bulbs operating, grandstands that are comfortable and not in danger of falling down at any moment, and admission charges that are fair but not gouging that accommodate family attendance.

jog49
02-22-2019, 10:29 AM
"Touching on that I have never understood why ump open wheel modifieds havent taken off in the south. Promoters should be pushing it finding a way to make them work getting them to the track or started racing to get people interested in them. Why it's a different type of car that doesn't look like a latemodel. It's something different . "

They tear up the track surfaces with their skinny tires. Put big tires on them and problems are likely solved. Of course they have recently moved up to large engines which doesn't help cost containment.

CarolinaDirt
02-22-2019, 11:34 AM
"Touching on that I have never understood why ump open wheel modifieds havent taken off in the south. Promoters should be pushing it finding a way to make them work getting them to the track or started racing to get people interested in them. Why it's a different type of car that doesn't look like a latemodel. It's something different . "

They tear up the track surfaces with their skinny tires. Put big tires on them and problems are likely solved. Of course they have recently moved up to large engines which doesn't help cost containment.

Never thought of it that way , good insight. I just think we need something as a support class that doesn't look like everything else. Would you agree with that ?

I mentioned the ump mods because they are different and I have been impressed with the racing when I have seen them .

Like I also mentioned maybe body rules for modified hobbies / A hobby or whatever insert track calls them need to go back to what they were . Instead of looking like every other late model

EvelB7
02-22-2019, 12:14 PM
Didn't read whole thread but I know Time Management is big key. That means limit the support divisions-they were created to bring in more back gate money (easier than actually trying to get fans in the stands). The idea of more pit area traffic actually lengthened the shows and drove fans away. There are a ton more choices for people to spend their time and money with these days, you have to be 'the choice' and let them know that you appreciate it!

Bill31
02-22-2019, 01:36 PM
I had an idea on trying to get younger fans to come , can't remember if I told my home track owner (think I did). My two local tracks on a regular show charge $12 to get in and 12 years old an under are free. Have a "bring a parent night". Any kid 12 or under that brings a parent will get $2 off for their parents general admission (Two parents or guardians get the discount, so thats $4 savings total). This is only for certain regular shows throughout the season (maybe 4-6 shows).And pass these certificates/passes out to the local middle schools. Put on the passes >>>"Bring a parent night" any parent or guarding that attends with a child under 12 years of age will get a $2 discount off the $12 admission for up to 2 parents or guardians. These passes can be copied and are encouraged to be copied. Passes are good for these dates only (insert the dates here)<<<.

That $2 may not seem a lot but its something , and most people will hand the ticket both a $10 bill knowing they don't have to hand over another two one dollars or break a bigger bill JMO.

Clayton_Wetter
02-22-2019, 02:52 PM
There is no racetrack that has a daycare center and there most likely for sure not ever going to be one that does, let's be realistic. Heck if some can't even have a decent restroom how are they going to build a daycare facility. This has to be one of the most absurd things I've ever read on here. hahahahaha

Illtsate32
02-22-2019, 03:06 PM
Well when the skinny tires do take to the track it pulls moisture back up that otherwise the track wI'll take rubber and become one lane much sooner without them running...

flagone
02-22-2019, 05:47 PM
Illtsate32 jog means in the south / southeast. Our surfaces are very different here than in the midwest and other areas where they thrive. Just like the 15 minutes of track prep doesn't exist here.

EvelB7
02-22-2019, 06:49 PM
The south hates inverts, but I will throw this 'crazy' plan at you.... Pay for advancement, from where you start to where you finish. After the lineups are set, let the drivers 'choose' their starting position. Pay less to win but make passing cars worth it. This was actually used back when Charlotte's dirt track first ran, and it was exciting. People come to see a show, the drivers at some point have to realize the world is not 'fair' and things need to get mixed up a bit.

President Clinton
02-22-2019, 07:49 PM
One guy tried inverts in the south. Steve Pearson. Got ran out of racing due to our premadona racers in the south. We want to claim to be the best , but fact is we want to out money each other and qualify, play fallow the leader on a one lane track and wonder what is wrong???? LOL can’t see the forest for all the trees in the way

Clayton_Wetter
02-22-2019, 07:54 PM
You spend all that time money and know how, you just don't want to be inverted. None of them.

That can ruin your racing night on a no passing slick track.

matdaddy
02-22-2019, 10:42 PM
keep cheating ass people like Ole TP from racing

President Clinton
02-23-2019, 04:18 AM
You spend all that time money and know how, you just don't want to be inverted. None of them.

That can ruin your racing night on a no passing slick track.

I do agree,, but why have the race??? Let’s just oval drag race. 2 qualifying laps then go home. We can watch the parade at Christmas not every Saturday night

3 wide
02-23-2019, 05:58 AM
Just a quick note on concessions I see most race tracks losing so much money for example I have been to race tracks that ran out of soft drinks they probably don't know if they bought 500 cases at a time they could get a heck of a deal from there vendor then they wouldn't run out plus make extra money I could show them about a dozen examples like this.

EvelB7
02-23-2019, 09:15 AM
Another piece that is a characteristic of many southern tracks is the 'water truck' lane. Years ago I asked a promoter why they took banking away from the top of the track, he told me 'so the water truck has a place to drive around'. Took away one third of the usable track surface. Line up fastest to slowest on a narrow track and wonder why there is no passing. Get rid of qualifying and draw if you want, force the drivers to make two grooves and they will. The same people will win but it will be way more entertaining (the reason you have grandstands).

tb1545
02-23-2019, 12:37 PM
Man ive never really heard people complain about modified tires being too narrow and cutting up a track. Around us, we complain about hobby stocks and 4 cylinders FWD with their street tires. Some tracks adjust their order of hotlaps and heats to keep the street tire classes from rutting up the track. Many Texas/ Arkansas tracks run some sort of factory stock class using asphalt take offs. $15 a tire, lasts til the sidewalls give out and BEST track packing class ever. they also say that when it gets slick, those tires hook up awesome.

Illtsate32
02-23-2019, 12:58 PM
In the Midwest I know in the summer months, especially for the heat races, when the pro 4s ran before us we didn't mind cause they would pull moisture back to the surface...

IZZOJR16
02-24-2019, 08:07 PM
1. Run the Super Late Model feature as early in the program as possible. After that, folks can stay for as many classes as they want. 2. Start on time and keep a race on the track continuously except for a brief intermission. 3. If you run more than 2 or 3 classes, either do pill draws or qualify them after the Super Late Model feature. I am sorry, but we do not drive 6 or 8 hours to see your local classes.4. Do not run out of drinks and food. There is a Walmart on every freaking corner, so send somebody there if you didn't plan for the crowd you ended up with. 5. Announcers: Report the show, don't try and become the show. Sometimes silence is golden so people can enjoy talking with one another.6. Have a three spins/caution rule and the car is black flagged.7. Put a time limit on support class races. Sometimes, it is just not their night.8. If you advertise that gates open at 4:00 PM, do not let people save any seats prior to that.best post!!! nothing gets me more than the saving seat BS.