PDA

View Full Version : Who’s on you’re Mount Rushmore of DLM drivers

clayenstein
02-23-2019, 10:52 AM
Mine is Bloomquist, Moyer, Purvis, Moore

TerryM
02-23-2019, 11:03 AM
Bloomquist, Moyer and Moran are the obvious picks. It gets pretty tough to choose one after that.

RaceEngineer
02-23-2019, 11:09 AM
Kenny Brightbill, Ralph Earnhardt, Tiny Lund, Ramo Stott

WisWildManFan
02-23-2019, 12:53 PM
Bloomer, Moyer, bloomer, and bloomer again

BigDaddy84
02-23-2019, 02:13 PM
Zero, Moyer, purvis, freddy.

CIRF
02-23-2019, 03:16 PM
Pre-generic dirt late model era:

Don White
Johnny Beauchamp
Verlin Eaker
Darrell Dake

Post-generic dirt late model era:

Jeff Purvis
Charlie Swartz
Billy Moyer Jr.
snort Bloomquist

formercrewguy
02-23-2019, 04:13 PM
Kenny Brightbill, Ralph Earnhardt, Tiny Lund, Ramo Stott

Hahahahaha….Ramo.

ride height
02-23-2019, 04:23 PM
Purvis. Moyer. Voodoo. The 4th person is real tough to decide.

Krooser
02-23-2019, 05:46 PM
Don White, Pete Parker, Ed Sanger, Jim Hurtibise, MJ McBride...

Thedoctor
02-23-2019, 06:07 PM
Bloomer and Moyer. The rest will always be debatable

4Barrel
02-23-2019, 06:15 PM
Black Jack Boggs, Scott Bloomquist, CJ Rayburn, and Charlie Swartz.

Zonks32x
02-23-2019, 06:41 PM
1980-2010
Bloomer
Moyer
Boggs
Swartz
(Hard not to put Purvis here too)

2010-.....
JD
Sheppard
Pierce
Richards
(For now)

ALL TIME
Bloomer and Moyer
Then the debate...

MUD MAESTRO
02-23-2019, 08:02 PM
Pre-generic dirt late model era:

Don White
Johnny Beauchamp
Verlin Eaker
Darrell Dake

Post-generic dirt late model era:

Jeff Purvis
Charlie Swartz
Billy Moyer Jr.
snort Bloomquist

Johnny Beauchamp.....should have won the 1959 Daytona 500. The team claimed Lee Petty was a few laps down and the photo finish meaningless. At that time the wives kept track of the drivers laps, so who knows. Johnny was also an IMCA champion and track champ at Peoria in 1966. Considering the HOfamers he raced against at Peoria during that time, He was one of the best.

dirtcrazy4u
02-23-2019, 08:30 PM
Bloomer can't sniff purvis's socks. Purvis was a better all around racer period. Eddie Sanger changed most view points on the big block chevy. Thee combo of ed howe, Rodney combs and mark richards changed late model chassis forever. Larry Moore and Freddie smith. One would clear you out of his way and the other would be the frst one too

CIRF
02-23-2019, 08:52 PM
Johnny Beauchamp.....should have won the 1959 Daytona 500. The team claimed Lee Petty was a few laps down and the photo finish meaningless. At that time the wives kept track of the drivers laps, so who knows. Johnny was also an IMCA champion and track champ at Peoria in 1966. Considering the HOfamers he raced against at Peoria during that time, He was one of the best.

Johnny passed away in 1983 and those close to him said he went to his grave believing he won the 1959 Daytona 500. In those days the teams had to supply their own scorers. Elizabeth Petty (The King's mother) was scoring for Lee Petty that day and Johnny was northern driver from Atlantic, Iowa so draw your own conclusions.

My dad spoke of seeing Beauchamp race at Peoria and Sterling Speedbowl Park in Sterling, Illinois and said Johnny was the only guy that could beat Don Bohlander on a regular basis. Johnny won the Peoria points championship driving the #55 1955 Chevy in 1966. The sponsor was Kartville which was right next to the Speedway on Farmington Road. According to my Dad Beauchamp didn't win as often up at Sterling. He had to beat guys like Darrell Dake, John Connelly and Verlin Eaker up there and those Iowa boys were plenty tough.

Not much debate about the top three of the generic late model era. Moyer, snort and Purvis are indisputable. After those three it's a matter of opinion.

RapidRuss
02-23-2019, 10:27 PM
Sorry Zonks but Bloomer would be on the 2010-present mount too!! More national titles and crown jewels than Pierce and Sheppard since 2010!!!

CIRF
02-23-2019, 11:54 PM
This is a topic that comes up every now and then and it always puts an interesting perspective on the relationship of SDLM racing when compared to some other forms of dirt racing. The top divisions of other dirt classifications, for the past 25 years or so, have not retained the drivers who seemingly would have reached the pinnacle of their distinct divisions. They don't spend their entire career's racing and building the gaudy stats that would get them rated at the all time top of their divisions. The best SDLM drivers tend to finish their careers in late models thus making this conversation possible.

TerryM
02-23-2019, 11:59 PM
It amazes me, how Donnie Moran flies under the radar.

mll8pt
02-24-2019, 02:59 AM
Cj Rayburn, Earl Baltes, Billy Moyer, Scott Bloomquest

4Barrel
02-24-2019, 08:05 AM
When other drivers would look at Purvis' schedule and run to another track, Bloomquist made his schedule mirror Purvis' until he was beating Purvis on a regular basis. Yes, he was more than capable of "sniffing Purvis' jock".

klemmabyna
02-24-2019, 09:02 AM
This is a topic that comes up every now and then ....

http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?383137-Mt-Rushmore-of-Latemodels-VOTE

CIRF
02-24-2019, 10:07 AM
It amazes me, how Donnie Moran flies under the radar.Good point, Terry. The thread Klem linked to on this very subject back in May of last year I posted Moran as one of my 4 guys. This time I threw Chargin' Charlie in the mix 'cause I've met and spoken with him on more than one occasion and he seems to be a very nice fellow. Plus, besides being a very good driver while competing in more than one persuasion of racecar Charlie is a smart guy, an innovator and not everyone is capable of some of the things he did as a designer and builder.

When other drivers would look at Purvis' schedule and run to another track, Bloomquist made his schedule mirror Purvis' until he was beating Purvis on a regular basis. Yes, he was more than capable of "sniffing Purvis' jock".I don't know if this statement is factual or not and on a Sunday morning I'm too dam lazy to do the leg work needed to prove or disprove it. I would only say that I would be interested in seeing in black and white that snort beat Jeff Purvis on a "regular" basis. As far as sniffin' jock straps, we'll happily leave that activity to those who derive some weird pleasure from it.

4Barrel
02-24-2019, 10:30 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nxhmmOuRmm4

CIRF
02-24-2019, 12:31 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nxhmmOuRmm4

This proves nothing. All snort said was he beat Purvis just enough that he gave Purvis fits! LOL! That might be just a little stretch on ol' snorts part but I reckon we're all aware of the fact that snort will blow (no pun intended) his own honker if it fits his narrative. I also never heard the statement that ol' snort beat Purvis on a "regular" basis. I'm sure snort won his share at that time, even against Purvis. The law of averages dictates that among the front runners.

I saw this interview when it was first aired but I had forgotten that snort once and for all solved the mystery of why Puvis ran away with his tail between his legs to NASCAR. LOL! So! It actually was the fear and shame of repeatedly losing to snort that compelled Purvis to make the regressive career move to give NASCAR a try. LOLOL!!! That's funny!

4Barrel
02-24-2019, 01:00 PM
Whatever. Sounds like a hater to me. Bloomquist has enough accolades to prove he is and was good enough to race and beat anyone.

jog49
02-24-2019, 01:26 PM
Ol' Snort. LOL!

Snake X3
02-24-2019, 02:40 PM
Kyle Busch
Josh Richards
Tyler Erb
Timmy Culp

matdaddy
02-24-2019, 09:25 PM
ole TP he is voted most likely to cheat

Raceready
02-25-2019, 01:43 PM
ole TP he is voted most likely to cheat Certianly not Terry Phillipps ?

tigwelder
02-26-2019, 08:40 PM
one guy says snort so the rest of the snort heads follow like a bunch of sheep.4M at its best.

NormP
02-27-2019, 07:26 AM
ole TP he is voted most likely to cheat

Why do you hate Tom Petty so much? (God rest his soul)