PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads

ZERO25
03-20-2019, 07:16 PM
After spending many nights in attendance during Speedweeks, why is it that Bloomers car consistently puts off wayyyy more sparks than any other car!( I've noticed this for quite awhile before this)

Is he trail braking that much or is it his pad/rotor selection?

fwiw....A buddy of mine does business with Scott and he said he walked to his hauler and Scott and his brake "guy" were having a somewhat heated discussion over his pad composition.

Kromulous
03-21-2019, 08:39 AM
I would be willing to bet he has his own Compound generated.

My question is why do you need that much rear brake? Keep the car up, on the bars, and to help turn it on entry? If you need all that brake to get it to turn why dont you just loosen it up, with a bar move or something?

Its just theory, but it looks like he sets his cars up to really accelerate, and go straight and not scrub straightaway speed. AKA not a lot of rear stagger, not a lot of toe out etc in the front, really make it roll straight easy and be fast. Then he just stands on the brakes to turn the car.

A pretty well know racer around here literally has stacks of rotors 4 to 5 feet high sitting around his shop because he uses that many up. So that got me to thinking, i know thats a very dangerous thing LOL.

fastford
03-21-2019, 10:49 AM
he could be running a brake floater on left rear , back when we did this , we put the most aggressive pad on it we could find , you could barely hit the brake and the left rear would lift , it did eat rotors though......

ZERO25
03-21-2019, 03:13 PM
After watching him night after night, I am pretty safe in assuming that he is hard on the brakes on entry and even initially, when he gets on the gas! He's throwing sparks from entry till past the middle!

Matt49
03-21-2019, 04:21 PM
Pretty much all of the top drivers trail brake and are rarely completely out of the gas.
The reason for not freeing up with a bar change is that bars aren't adjustable in the car but brakes are.