PDA

View Full Version : Dry Sump Pump / Leave on car when not being used

RacerX10
03-23-2019, 09:05 AM
Is there a way I can leave my dry sump pump stack on the car without it being actually used ? I'm going to drop a cheapo LS motor in the car to run some races and I don't want to pull the rear-driven dry sump pump / power steering / fuel pump stack off because I'm going to use the PS and fuel pumps, but I can't run the dry sump pump on this LS setup. Obviously I'm asking if there's a way to configure it so it won't burn up without oil circulating.

Any ideas ?

Thanks !

powerslide
03-24-2019, 02:46 PM
You will have to circulate oil. I feel like someone on here did the same and looped it or had a small tank to hold/circulate oil. And even then you are putting wear on the pump. At the price of dry sump pumps is it really worth it?

RacerX10
03-27-2019, 07:18 AM
You will have to circulate oil. I feel like someone on here did the same and looped it or had a small tank to hold/circulate oil. And even then you are putting wear on the pump. At the price of dry sump pumps is it really worth it?

not really concerned about wear on the pump.

i guess i could just put a loop line on each of the 4 stages, put some oil in each line and call it a day.

thanks for your thoughts !

Punisher88
03-27-2019, 08:09 PM
In an article in this months speedway illustrated it was mentioned about a guy refusing a pump on a different motor that didn't require the last stage of the pump. And he routed it improperly and cause a giant oil fire. The manufacturer of the pump said the correct way would have been to just remove the gears from the unused stages. I dont see why this wouldn't work in your situation.

RacerX10
03-28-2019, 08:00 AM
In an article in this months speedway illustrated it was mentioned about a guy refusing a pump on a different motor that didn't require the last stage of the pump. And he routed it improperly and cause a giant oil fire. The manufacturer of the pump said the correct way would have been to just remove the gears from the unused stages. I dont see why this wouldn't work in your situation.

awesome .. thanks for your input. i'll check on that too, great idea.

fastford
03-28-2019, 09:03 AM
buy the shaft and the plate to take the oil pump off , not very expensive or hard to do....JMO...

Jking24
03-28-2019, 08:24 PM
buy the shaft and the plate to take the oil pump off , not very expensive or hard to do....JMO...Agreed could probably convert the whole setup for less than 200$

RacerX10
04-07-2019, 12:09 PM
called KSE, they quoted me $250 for the kit to convert / remove the oil pump

fastford
04-07-2019, 01:03 PM
ck with stock car products , might be cheaper or at least they use to be.......

RacerX10
04-07-2019, 05:55 PM
ck with stock car products , might be cheaper or at least they use to be.......

found their web site .. i guess "ck" is somebody I should ask for when I call ?

Jking24
04-07-2019, 06:29 PM
Ck means check, and sweet also has a bracket and everything needed that is if you have a sweet pump

bob1019
04-13-2019, 01:38 AM
why not just take the belt off

RaceEngineer
04-13-2019, 05:48 AM
why not just take the belt offFuel and power steering won't turn anymore.

RacerX10
04-13-2019, 05:33 PM
Fuel and power steering won't turn anymore.

"Hey crew chief, this thing won't turn for crap and the fuel pressure is bad"