PDA

View Full Version : Sad News -- Indiana Fairground Mile track last season

thexfactor0210
04-02-2019, 10:48 AM
Just saw where this will be the last season Usac Silver Crown will run at the Indy Fairgrounds as they are turning it into parking and horse harness track. I think this leaves only two miles in the country now with Springfield and Sacramento???

Anyone think we will ever see another late model race at one of those tracks? It was cool to see it once a year.

Rich Riedesel
04-02-2019, 11:13 AM
There's also a mile at DuQuoin, Il. They run an ARCA race there every year.

thexfactor0210
04-02-2019, 11:38 AM
There's also a mile at DuQuoin, Il. They run an ARCA race there every year.

Ah yes forgot about DuQoin. I think that is it then right? Since Syracuse has been torn down.

formercrewguy
04-02-2019, 04:59 PM
The Hoosier 100 in May is the last race.

dirtcrazy4u
04-02-2019, 05:36 PM
Unfortunately they probably do not use the mile tracks for a combined 7 total days. There just not a viable option anymore. Syracuse may have been the most used for super dirt week.

Nascrap should seriously think about putting the cup cars on a mile dirt. See if there's interest, run a 100 mile show, you could go much above 150 lap race. The surface would never take it.

Do ya think the people would come ?

CIRF
04-02-2019, 11:21 PM
Just saw where this will be the last season Usac Silver Crown will run at the Indy Fairgrounds as they are turning it into parking and horse harness track. I think this leaves only two miles in the country now with Springfield and Sacramento???

Anyone think we will ever see another late model race at one of those tracks? It was cool to see it once a year.To my knowledge there has not been a race involving 4 wheeled racing machines at Sacramento in many years. I believe they do run the AMA Flat Track motorcycles at SacTown.

I really doubt there will ever be another dirt late model event on a 1 mile dirt track unless someone puts up a huge purse. Dirt late model engines are way too expensive. In addition to the cost factor dirt late models are really not safe enough to withstand a wall impact at the speeds that the modern generic late models are capable of.

Unfortunately they probably do not use the mile tracks for a combined 7 total days. There just not a viable option anymore. Syracuse may have been the most used for super dirt week.

Nascrap should seriously think about putting the cup cars on a mile dirt. See if there's interest, run a 100 mile show, you could go much above 150 lap race. The surface would never take it.

Do ya think the people would come ?Traditionally there are 6 races run over a 2 day period at Springfield the last two days of the Illinois State Fair. Time trials and a last chance qualifier for the 100 mile Bettenhausen Memorial featuring the beautiful USAC Silver Crown cars is run on Saturday. Also, a couple of heat races for the sportsman stock cars are run on Saturday to determine the lineup for the sportsman feature race on Sunday. They qualify the ARCA stock cars and run a 20 mile feature for the sportsman cars on Sunday prior to the ARCA race.

Same USAC Silver Crown/ARCA stock car programs is run two weeks later at Du Quoin on Saturday and Sunday night of Labor Day weekend which is the last weekend of the annual Du Quoin State Fair. The UMP Modifieds take the place of the sportsman cars at Du Quoin but they run a very similar program.

As far as the surface not holding up for anything past a 150 mile event I would counter by saying we attended several 200 mile ARCA races at Du Quoin back in the 1990's and the track held up pretty well, actually

There is little doubt that the NASCAR Cup cars would be a huge and instant hit on either of the Illinois 1 mile dirt tracks. Du Quoin makes the most sense since DQ has a bit more spectator seating than Springfield, DQ has lights and a huge campground.

I've seen some incredibly good ARCA Series races at both Springfield and Du Quoin and the ARCA cars are relatively similar to Cup cars. I haven't been to a NASCAR Cup race in almost 20 years but I'd beg borrow or steal a ticket to a Cup race on a mile dirt track. I suspect a lot of other people would, too.

dirtcrazy4u
04-03-2019, 02:15 PM
Yea CIRF no doubt. The sprints cars at Syracuse was a sqeeze your arsh kind of deal. Especially coming out of 2, it was like driving into a tunnel. The HP cars make today, the outcome of stuffing 1 into the armco may not be favorable. Kyle Larson up on the wheel, you betcha.

thexfactor0210
04-03-2019, 02:51 PM
To my knowledge there has not been a race involving 4 wheeled racing machines at Sacramento in many years. I believe they do run the AMA Flat Track motorcycles at SacTown.

I really doubt there will ever be another dirt late model event on a 1 mile dirt track unless someone puts up a huge purse. Dirt late model engines are way too expensive. In addition to the cost factor dirt late models are really not safe enough to withstand a wall impact at the speeds that the modern generic late models are capable of.

Traditionally there are 6 races run over a 2 day period at Springfield the last two days of the Illinois State Fair. Time trials and a last chance qualifier for the 100 mile Bettenhausen Memorial featuring the beautiful USAC Silver Crown cars is run on Saturday. Also, a couple of heat races for the sportsman stock cars are run on Saturday to determine the lineup for the sportsman feature race on Sunday. They qualify the ARCA stock cars and run a 20 mile feature for the sportsman cars on Sunday prior to the ARCA race.

Same USAC Silver Crown/ARCA stock car programs is run two weeks later at Du Quoin on Saturday and Sunday night of Labor Day weekend which is the last weekend of the annual Du Quoin State Fair. The UMP Modifieds take the place of the sportsman cars at Du Quoin but they run a very similar program.

As far as the surface not holding up for anything past a 150 mile event I would counter by saying we attended several 200 mile ARCA races at Du Quoin back in the 1990's and the track held up pretty well, actually

There is little doubt that the NASCAR Cup cars would be a huge and instant hit on either of the Illinois 1 mile dirt tracks. Du Quoin makes the most sense since DQ has a bit more spectator seating than Springfield, DQ has lights and a huge campground.

I've seen some incredibly good ARCA Series races at both Springfield and Du Quoin and the ARCA cars are relatively similar to Cup cars. I haven't been to a NASCAR Cup race in almost 20 years but I'd beg borrow or steal a ticket to a Cup race on a mile dirt track. I suspect a lot of other people would, too.

You are probably right. Just a pipe dream I guess!

Clayton_Wetter
04-03-2019, 02:55 PM
NASCAR turning to dirt would be a quick death to it. NASCAR is just not about dirt racing.

Hoosier_Dirt
04-03-2019, 05:40 PM
Gotta agree with CW. Nascar is not about dirt. It's a different type racing. They could make changes to make Nascar fun to watch again,but they need leadership.

over4T
04-03-2019, 08:57 PM
CIRF is correct that Sacramento hasn't had a car touch their dirt in years.

Does anyone know if the mile at Columbus, Ohio is still used. The old AMA Charity Newsie event was a he!!uva event for the flat track motorcycles.

chupp n bloomer fan
04-04-2019, 03:46 AM
CIRF is correct that Sacramento hasn't had a car touch their dirt in years.

Does anyone know if the mile at Columbus, Ohio is still used. The old AMA Charity Newsie event was a he!!uva event for the flat track motorcycles.Never knew Columbus had a mile track. I doubt it’s used, I’m half an hour away, never heard of it.

CIRF
04-04-2019, 09:19 AM
My quote option won't work again so I'll have to wing it.

thexfactor0210, dirt lates on a mile may be a pipe dream but it's a good one. I remember well Kenny Schrader, Racin' John Mason and Jack Hewitt driving into turn #1 at Springfield 3 abreast and Schrader was the only one who had sense enough to lift. Jack told me years later that the reason Schrader lifted was because Schrader was afraid to die and he and Mason wasn't! I think Jack was serious. LOLOL! Most of the SLM guys that ran the mile's didn't look comfortable but what do I know, I was just setting in the stands. We saw some good late model racing on the Indy Mile, too.

Clay, please expand on why you think racing Cup cars on dirt would be the death of NASCAR? The ARCA guys have been running the dirt miles for over 30 years in basically the same cars as the Cup guys use and they have put on some phenomenally good racing, year in, year out. I really believe the Cup cars on a dirt mile would be a great show and would bring in huge interest from short track/dirt track fans. I could be wrong but if losing interest like NASCAR has over the past decade is to be corrected dirt may be part of the answer. I know I'd show up.

cnbf, I believe you are correct. AMA runs mile tracks at Springfield, Illinois-Minneapolis, Minnesota-Lexington, Kentucky-Medowlands New Jersey-Sacramento, California but no Columbus, Ohio. AMA has a big booth set up at The Chili Bowl every year and we hang out with those guys a little bit throughout the 6 days. It's surprising how diverse of a schedule the flat track series runs. I believe the AMA has their awards banquet in Columbus every year so it's surprising they haven't found a place to race there during the season.

over4T
04-04-2019, 11:00 AM
cnbf, yep it is/was at the state fairgrounds, just a hop, skip & jump from the old hockey arena. Sad if the track is gone as we looked forward to AMA's race every year while I worked in Columbus and it never disappointed.
Loved the Checkers' hockey games too. A good blend of my 2 favorite sports, racing all summer, hockey all winter.

chupp n bloomer fan
04-04-2019, 11:12 AM
cnbf, yep it is/was at the state fairgrounds, just a hop, skip & jump from the old hockey arena. Sad if the track is gone as we looked forward to AMA's race every year while I worked in Columbus and it never disappointed.
Loved the Checkers' hockey games too. A good blend of my 2 favorite sports, racing all summer, hockey all winter.Blue Jackets and the Crew now. No racing at the fairgrounds, heck, I don’t think there’s even monster trucks.

chupp n bloomer fan
04-04-2019, 11:13 AM
Been talk of putting a track near downtown, but I think that’s totally a pipe dream. Them people are paying too much to deal with someone throwing a race track near downtown. Cooper Stadium was one place, but I’m pretty sure that is a no go.

CIRF
04-04-2019, 11:58 AM
Loved the Checkers' hockey games too. A good blend of my 2 favorite sports, racing all summer, hockey all winter.

over4T, how long has it been since the flat trackers raced at Columbus?

I looked on Google Earth at the Ohio State Fairgrounds and there is no track of any kind on the site I looked at.

Clayton_Wetter
04-04-2019, 02:35 PM
My quote option won't work again so I'll have to wing it.

thexfactor0210, dirt lates on a mile may be a pipe dream but it's a good one. I remember well Kenny Schrader, Racin' John Mason and Jack Hewitt driving into turn #1 at Springfield 3 abreast and Schrader was the only one who had sense enough to lift. Jack told me years later that the reason Schrader lifted was because Schrader was afraid to die and he and Mason wasn't! I think Jack was serious. LOLOL! Most of the SLM guys that ran the mile's didn't look comfortable but what do I know, I was just setting in the stands. We saw some good late model racing on the Indy Mile, too.

Clay, please expand on why you think racing Cup cars on dirt would be the death of NASCAR? The ARCA guys have been running the dirt miles for over 30 years in basically the same cars as the Cup guys use and they have put on some phenomenally good racing, year in, year out. I really believe the Cup cars on a dirt mile would be a great show and would bring in huge interest from short track/dirt track fans. I could be wrong but if losing interest like NASCAR has over the past decade is to be corrected dirt may be part of the answer. I know I'd show up.

cnbf, I believe you are correct. AMA runs mile tracks at Springfield, Illinois-Minneapolis, Minnesota-Lexington, Kentucky-Medowlands New Jersey-Sacramento, California but no Columbus, Ohio. AMA has a big booth set up at The Chili Bowl every year and we hang out with those guys a little bit throughout the 6 days. It's surprising how diverse of a schedule the flat track series runs. I believe the AMA has their awards banquet in Columbus every year so it's surprising they haven't found a place to race there during the season.

CIRF, I can't see any reason that NASCAR would have any success on dirt. Crowds= NO, locations= NO. Building separate cars for dirt= NO. Just what would work in your opinion.

ARCA is a smaller venue, where crowds at smaller blacktop or dirt tracks can be 6,000 fans or even less.

CIRF
04-04-2019, 03:35 PM
CIRF, I can't see any reason that NASCAR would have any success on dirt. Crowds= NO, locations= NO. Building separate cars for dirt= NO. Just what would work in your opinion.

ARCA is a smaller venue, where crowds at smaller blacktop or dirt tracks can be 6,000 fans or even less.
Granted, even as sad as the Cup crowds are these days ARCA doesn't command the crowds that Cup does but I don't think the comparison is pertinent. How do you know the Cup Cars on dirt wouldn't fill up a place like Du Quoin, which holds around 15,000 total and could probably be expanded to 25,000 relatively easily and inexpensively. I believe they would sell out a facility of that size. I'm guessing now, but I'd bet 25,000 is more asses than they get in seats for some races on the schedule now.

They have adequate camping at Du Quoin and there is an airport with jet service capability up to a 757 just down the road at Carbondale, Illinois. St. Louis airport is just under 1 1/2 hours from Du Quoin.

The ARCA teams have never built dirt specific cars to run Springfield & Du Quoin. The ARCA teams use their short track cars to run the dirt races. Naturally the Cup teams would have to do some modifications to the cars to run the dirt miles but from what I've gathered from talking to some of the ARCA guys over the years it's not all that extensive.

If a Cup race at a place like Du Quoin caught on like I believe it would and there was money to be made someone would step up and find a way to get a race at somewhere like Knoxville, Iowa or even Springfield. Springfield's stands only hold 12,000 so they'd have to put up temporary stands and they'd have to build a usable pit road. However, if there is money to be made the possibilities are pretty much wide open.

dmr37
04-04-2019, 04:50 PM
Columbus had a track until a few years ago. It was replaced by a soccer field.

chupp n bloomer fan
04-04-2019, 07:36 PM
Columbus had a track until a few years ago. It was replaced by a soccer field.Yes, Columbus Motor Speedway, off of Alum Creek. 1/3 mile asphalt. I meant an arena type place was in talks with Jeff Gordon as a backer. Live about 25 minutes from there and never went. Not an asphalt guy. The Knuckles who owned it, I think that’s there name, said it was still profitable. But the next generation wanted nothing to do with it, so they sold it.

Crazy thing is, I worked their last year putting in storm drainage all around the track and parking area. Very little is left of it. My company did most of the changes, improvements. It’s called Fortress to anyone wondering. And they have spent some cash.

over4T
04-04-2019, 07:40 PM
The Columbus track was operating until at least the late 1960s when I left the area in '69. Made me cringe when dmr37 said it was replaced with a soccer field. Is nothing sacred?

over4T
04-04-2019, 07:55 PM
Maybe that's track dmr37 was talking about. They ran Sunday nights when I was there and were the last leg of the weekend for the Late Models when they were real Chevelles, Camaros, Fairlanes, etc. Friday nights over near Dayton, Saturdays at Zanesville with very good racing and a packed house at Columbus. If you got there when hot laps started you probably stood all night. Don Gregory, Carl Smith D!ck Freeman, Neal Sceva, Ralph O'Day and a real who's who of stock car racing in Ohio. First met Benny Parsons there with a yellow Torino when he was champ in ARCA. Fond memories.

chupp n bloomer fan
04-05-2019, 08:16 AM
Maybe that's track dmr37 was talking about. They ran Sunday nights when I was there and were the last leg of the weekend for the Late Models when they were real Chevelles, Camaros, Fairlanes, etc. Friday nights over near Dayton, Saturdays at Zanesville with very good racing and a packed house at Columbus. If you got there when hot laps started you probably stood all night. Don Gregory, Carl Smith D!ck Freeman, Neal Sceva, Ralph O'Day and a real who's who of stock car racing in Ohio. First met Benny Parsons there with a yellow Torino when he was champ in ARCA. Fond memories.He is talking about Columbus Motor Speedway on the SE side of Columbus. Third mile, just outside of Groveport I think it is.

I wanna say there’s a semi pro soccer team there also. I think they do football too. It is nice, but the family had no one to hand it off too. And I’m sure instead of selling it as a race track, they sold it commercially and made more money.

A shame, but is what it is I guess. A state of the art track just outside of downtown wouldn’t be a bad idea, but I don’t see it ever happening. Columbus closed, Mansfield as an asphalt track failed, so who knows. Wanna say Kil Kare possibly closed.

ZERO25
04-05-2019, 11:29 AM
Nascar on a 1 mile track would be like watching paint dry!

Make'm run Macon, Fairbury, or Eastbay.....then we would see a show!

Clayton_Wetter
04-05-2019, 02:40 PM
Granted, even as sad as the Cup crowds are these days ARCA doesn't command the crowds that Cup does but I don't think the comparison is pertinent. How do you know the Cup Cars on dirt wouldn't fill up a place like Du Quoin, which holds around 15,000 total and could probably be expanded to 25,000 relatively easily and inexpensively. I believe they would sell out a facility of that size. I'm guessing now, but I'd bet 25,000 is more asses than they get in seats for some races on the schedule now.

They have adequate camping at Du Quoin and there is an airport with jet service capability up to a 757 just down the road at Carbondale, Illinois. St. Louis airport is just under 1 1/2 hours from Du Quoin.

The ARCA teams have never built dirt specific cars to run Springfield & Du Quoin. The ARCA teams use their short track cars to run the dirt races. Naturally the Cup teams would have to do some modifications to the cars to run the dirt miles but from what I've gathered from talking to some of the ARCA guys over the years it's not all that extensive.

If a Cup race at a place like Du Quoin caught on like I believe it would and there was money to be made someone would step up and find a way to get a race at somewhere like Knoxville, Iowa or even Springfield. Springfield's stands only hold 12,000 so they'd have to put up temporary stands and they'd have to build a usable pit road. However, if there is money to be made the possibilities are pretty much wide open.

Another thing is the racing format itself. Since they only run a feature would they still run 400 or 500 miles or are they going to run something like 100 laps and expect fans to fly or drive all that distance for what might be a 40 minute race???

Just think of how bad a condition the track would always wind up getting into, where as blacktop stays basically the same except it's temperature and some minor rubbering.

CIRF
04-06-2019, 10:47 AM
Another thing is the racing format itself. Since they only run a feature would they still run 400 or 500 miles or are they going to run something like 100 laps and expect fans to fly or drive all that distance for what might be a 40 minute race???

Just think of how bad a condition the track would always wind up getting into, where as blacktop stays basically the same except it's temperature and some minor rubbering.

Du Quoin has Musco track lighting thus the bulk of the racing can be run at night. I attended many 200 mile ARCA races at Du Quoin and the track stayed in acceptable condition and those were day races.

It's feasible for them to run a similar event schedule as the truck do at Eldora. They could have Reece O'Connor, Tommy Helfrich and Bob Sargent on hand to do their magic track prep. Tri-State is less than 2 hours from Du Quoin so getting Tommy's equipment over to The Magic Mile wouldn't be a logistical nightmare. Backgate Bob Sargent prepares the mile dirt at Springfield for day races year in and year out with minimal dust. I know I've attended every race Bob has ever held at Springfield.

The ARCA guys do a full hour of practice, 2 lap single car qualifying, sportsman 25 miler and the 100 mile ARCA Allen Crowe Memorial all during the daytime 'cause Springfield doesn't have lights. The track seems to hold up pretty well in spite of all that racing.

It can be done, Clay. I'd bet you'd think about attending if they ever did, wouldn't you!!! Hahahahaha!!

Clayton_Wetter
04-06-2019, 02:49 PM
Do all NASCAR fans still stand up all of the race???? lol

Or since it isn't crowded anymore do they just sit down since they are not blocking anyone's view anymore.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYC2PYcMF5PPDuMToUv_6bmR8jWL96M Ev_5Ikd3d_l-xNe9sB7

CIRF
04-06-2019, 11:00 PM
Do all NASCAR fans still stand up all of the race???? lol

Or since it isn't crowded anymore do they just sit down since they are not blocking anyone's view anymore.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYC2PYcMF5PPDuMToUv_6bmR8jWL96M Ev_5Ikd3d_l-xNe9sB7

Don't know, Clay. I haven't been to a Cup race since 1999. At that time they stood during the green flag segments and sat down during the yellow flag periods.

I think there is plenty of truth in your sarcasm, Clay. I've always believed those inbred mouth breathing dim wits that stood the whole race did it because they got some weird satisfaction from pissing normal, non mouth breathing people off.

Highwayman
04-08-2019, 06:24 PM

Anyone think we will ever see another late model race at one of those tracks? It was cool to see it once a year.

This is blasphemous. Parking and harness racing, what a total slap in the face and in Indiana of all places. They should know better. I wonder sometimes how much racing will be left in this country after the "Snow Flake" generation gets done criminalizing and "UN-friending" everything except the next $1K gadget. From panty waste electric cars, to appliances that spy on you. So glad I'm a Gen-X and got to see a lot of great racing before the sissy's derided everything for being "Toxic-ally Masculine". I'm ranting, but this just blows, not just for open wheel but for all of dirt racing. I'm heart broken...