PDA

View Full Version : Ben Shelton iracing article

WisWildManFan
05-01-2019, 09:58 PM
https://www.onedirt.com/features/iracings-spring-fling-takes-online-gaming-to-the-next-level/

dirty-white-boy
05-02-2019, 12:29 PM
Remember when people used to race actual cars?

mcarter815
05-02-2019, 04:04 PM
Instead of spending $20k on a used b-mod, truck, trailer, and equipment you can spend $3k on a high end VR PC and there is no need to find crew members to help you or to spend most of your free time maintaining a car.

gman17
05-02-2019, 04:19 PM
Plus only time u have an off season is week 13 it is a money pit though and set up are nothing close to real life but still fun as He!!

chupp n bloomer fan
05-02-2019, 05:25 PM
Remember when people used to race actual cars?Remember when you could race for around $10k in an upper class, $20k, now it’s $30k for a decent modified?

Not sure why some feel threatened by iRacing. I don’t have the time, nor will I sacrifice the time for real racing, plus the ridiculous money involved to be up front.

At this time, I haven’t been playing iRacing either, but it is fun, and wayyy cheaper no matter what.

mcarter815
05-02-2019, 07:04 PM
Plus only time u have an off season is week 13 it is a money pit though and set up are nothing close to real life but still fun as He!!

The iRacing money pit is nothing compared to real racing. I think I spent somewhere around $7k last year on weekly expenses with racing a sportmod.

rolldog
05-03-2019, 09:23 AM
mccarter815 - I'm just curious. Would you mind breaking that $7K down? How many nights did you race?

kazual
05-03-2019, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the article Ben. If you’re one that thinks this poses a threat to short track racing you should probably bury your head in the sand a little more. Technology, it’s here, deal with it. At least it marries the internet to racing which is often expressed as a distraction to today’s race fan.

mcarter815
05-03-2019, 09:49 AM
mccarter815 - I'm just curious. Would you mind breaking that $7K down? How many nights did you race?

I think I ran 15 races last season. I was out for close to a month due to breaking a motor, which accounts for $2k. Mint says I spent $9k, but I think some of the expenses are miscategorized so it's likely somewhere around $8k. I did a back of the envelope calculation of what it costs me per night to race figuring an average of one hour drive time to and from the track and averaging four features on a tire. Just taking into account pit pass and consumables, without breaking any parts, it costs me about $200 a night to race.

I haven't done the math, but I'm guessing running my friend's Legends car costs half as much in a night.

WisWildManFan
05-03-2019, 10:17 AM
What part of country are you racing your sport mod?

mcarter815
05-03-2019, 10:48 AM
What part of country are you racing your sport mod?

I'm in Eastern Iowa.

Paradox28
05-03-2019, 12:35 PM
Instead of spending $20k on a used b-mod, truck, trailer, and equipment you can spend $3k on a high end VR PC and there is no need to find crew members to help you or to spend most of your free time maintaining a car.Hell, most of the guys who get in the money on iracing spend all their free time running laps on the service..

mcarter815
05-03-2019, 12:46 PM
Hell, most of the guys who get in the money on iracing spend all their free time running laps on the service..

Sure, but turning laps in iRacing is a lot more fun than maintaining a car. I spend hours a week doing maintenance so that I can have 15-20min of fun on Friday night.

Either way I’m spending that free time on something, but one is more fun than the other.

WisWildManFan
05-03-2019, 03:43 PM
Hell, most of the guys who get in the money on iracing spend all their free time running laps on the service..I’m hoping to see some fixed setup big money races soon

kazual
05-03-2019, 06:13 PM
I can hear it now, “big money is killing the sport” 😀