PDA

View Full Version : Mansfield

Mams
05-08-2019, 01:17 PM
New surface is being put down as you read this!

chupp n bloomer fan
05-08-2019, 01:39 PM
New surface is being put down as you read this!Good to hear Mams. Maybe I’ll plan a trip there now.

Mams
05-08-2019, 01:50 PM
You need to especially if you haven’t been there yet. Great facility & hopefully the new surface will take care of the rock problem once & for all.

dirt crow
05-08-2019, 01:54 PM
See you in August!

Madcat
05-08-2019, 08:50 PM
CnB come on up, I can give you some good eating spots for before the race too.

mccreadiefan39
05-08-2019, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=Mams;2263399]New surface is being put down as you read this![/QUOTE

Hopefully they went to Knoxville, Iowa or Fairbury, IL. to get some real dirt

Barbecueboy
05-08-2019, 09:28 PM
So do they dig up the old stuff prior to putting the new on top ? What is that process?

Mams
05-08-2019, 09:52 PM
Believe the old was dug up & sifted to remove all the rocks. From there l don’t know for sure.

Barbecueboy
05-08-2019, 09:55 PM
Thank you....was figuring they would have to clean that up prior to putting something good on it.

chupp n bloomer fan
05-09-2019, 03:42 AM
Believe the old was dug up & sifted to remove all the rocks. From there l don’t know for sure.

I really hope they didn’t just put that stuff back down. Good actual clay has few rocks, crappy dirt, full of rocks. Use that stuff for the monster trucks or something, and get real clay. Somewhere around there has to be decent clay. There’s still plenty of farm land up there.

JustAddDirt
05-09-2019, 07:28 AM
there is no good dirt (clay) in Ohio.
JMO

chupp n bloomer fan
05-09-2019, 08:23 AM
JMOCan’t say for sure personally, there is clay, but good for a race track, I dunno. I know you race, and I have always been a heavy equipment operator, so both opinions are valid. I wanna say Midway got their clay by them, and I think it’s pretty good. Sharon in NE Ohio, went to wherever Port Royal got theirs to get theirs. So I dunno.

JustAddDirt
05-09-2019, 03:57 PM
I agree there may be clay, but not good for racing and be able to see clay. it is like the clay/dirt after it is run by cars, just omits a cloud of fine dust. settles on everything, like a silt.

Portsmouth, Southern Ohio Speedway, Brushcreek, Moler. are the worst
Eldora gets like that too.
If it gets wet, it ruts up and comes apart.
Portsmouth has a lot of river silt in it, because of the track going underwater every spring, which cannot be avoided.

No_Weak_Links
05-09-2019, 04:31 PM
JMO

Yeah people come from all over the world to Ohio twice a year so they can see a race on bad clay.

Jim11h
05-09-2019, 11:16 PM
Attica and Fremont have 2 best surfaces in Ohio. Not sure where someone getting their info from. Guess if it isn't red and shiny slick but looks wet then it won't be good

chupp n bloomer fan
05-10-2019, 03:48 AM
Yeah people come from all over the world to Ohio twice a year so they can see a race on bad clay.

Attica and Fremont have 2 best surfaces in Ohio. Not sure where someone getting their info from. Guess if it isn't red and shiny slick but looks wet then it won't be goodI was just talking with JAD because on one hand, I don’t know that he is totally wrong. But I’m also not into blanket statements for the most part. I think there are places with good clay, but I’m not sure where they got it. And heck, only way to know what the make up is, is to test it.

I know Eldora went to pretty far lengths to get better clay this time. So I dunno. But I do value JAD’s opinion because has walked the walk.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-10-2019, 06:26 AM

They come and get buried with the fine dirt that JAD is talking about. Its Eldora, they come anyway. A lot of people went to a place in Ohio and risked losing an eye because the race name had "million" in it.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-10-2019, 06:29 AM
I don't know where there is perfect clay though. You get into South Georgia, that stuff has so much abrasive in it, it eats tires and you put down rubber. That makes for terrible racing. Then, they have good racing in Illinois, but that is corn planting dirt.

No_Weak_Links
05-10-2019, 01:46 PM
I'm not sure if it's the dirt or the way its prepped, but I've been to plenty of races at Eldora back when earl did the track that there was hardly any dust to speak of.....just like Florence used to be. Would get black and slick from inside guardrail to outside wall.....I don't mind some dust as long as there is passing. Would rather go home a little dirty and see a good race IMO.

And I'm from the south so we have to play the hand we're dealt....but it hurts me to say the rich black dirt is the best racing dirt.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-10-2019, 01:52 PM
I'm not sure if it's the dirt or the way its prepped, but I've been to plenty of races at Eldora back when earl did the track that there was hardly any dust to speak of.....just like Florence used to be. Would get black and slick from inside guardrail to outside wall.....I don't mind some dust as long as there is passing. Would rather go home a little dirty and see a good race IMO.

And I'm from the south so we have to play the hand we're dealt....but it hurts me to say the rich black dirt is the best racing dirt.

I haven't missed many world 100s since 1986. I can't remember it not being pretty dirty. I mean inches of dirt dumped off your lap back when I could sit on the bank outside turn 4 with a lawn chair that had no back legs.

No_Weak_Links
05-10-2019, 02:10 PM
I will admit all the Eldora races I've seen were in the pits so I'm going by visibility wise. Never huge clouds of dust to look through like here in red dirt country at times.....but you have to admit when a man can pass the entire field 2X the track surface is very good.

foxfire2dirtracing
05-10-2019, 02:37 PM
I guess we are lucky: we have always sit under the cover at Eldora for 25 years & don’t remember getting dirty ! The worst 3 ever were a Sunday afternoon (rain delayed) Hav-A-Tampa Shootout at Dixie Speedway- Hillbilly 100 -2 years ago at Tyler County Speedway & National 100 at East Alabama Speedway. Made 2 trips in one to the National 100. 🏁🏁