PDA

View Full Version : Think about it: Mike Nichols, multiitime IMCA National Champion

klemmabyna
05-09-2019, 08:40 PM
a facebook post at Mike Nichols Racing:

"Let me start by apologizing for the long rant. I’ve been thinking about how much I love dirt track racing and how much I’d love for each and every one of you to see it through my eyes while cherishing every second we get at our local speedway. It truly is special to me to be able to have the freedom to go to so many race tracks many miles away or minutes from home.
Over the last several years I’ve seen a generational shift in racing. Many of my long time friends and competitors have stepped away or handed down the torch to the next generation. At the same time I’ve seen the numbers of support for weekly racing drop dramatically. Call it millennial, blame Google for giving us answers right away, blame the crate engine or whatever you want. The shift has been towards series or specials that are typically top heavy purses where one or two guys is really all that makes out.
For me, large goals are made up of small goals. The large racing goals revolve around the whole year, not just a night or a weekend. I get a certain euphoria out of working all year to attain a goal such as a track title. These days, it seems it more about who ever didn’t have to go on vacation for a week or miss a night as the default champion. In today’s terms, “Some of you haven’t had the patience, don’t have the drive and don’t value accomplishing a large goal you set out for and it shows..”
For this, maybe we blame the lack of pay or the intense schedules that tracks insist on having? Well in today’s terms, “I’m 10+ cars in each division that raced every night of the season at their track old”. If this continues, I can assure you that you won’t have to worry about your specials. Without weekly racing, there ARE NO SPECIALS.
My message is this: Go to race tracks. Period. You love it, go support it. Too hot? Sit in the shade when not racing. Too cold? Bring a heater. Looks like rain? Go anyway and if it rains out go support a local business that supports the track. You don’t like someone there? Suck it up. You aren’t going to get along with everyone you meet. It’s called life. Go respect others and you’ll find respect headed back your way.
In today’s terms, don’t just say that you’re “feeling cute, might go to the race track later, idk..” Make a point to do it. Let’s keep racing healthy and pass this great sport and tradition onto your grand kids."

kazual
05-09-2019, 10:17 PM
Not many here are going to know him Klem. Have seen him race across a pretty broad patch of Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas, short track racing could use a lot more like him.

klemmabyna
05-10-2019, 09:06 AM
Not many here are going to know him Klem. Have seen him race across a pretty broad patch of Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas, short track racing could use a lot more like him.

and maybe this isn't the place for my original post, but his thoughts ring true for racers and teams at all levels. I have always enjoyed going to racetracks for weekly shows, not just for specials. and it has been difficult to watch many of my favorite tracks give up on weekly racing.

as for Mr Nichols, I wouldn't even begin to guess how many places he has raced his #63.

http://mikenicholsracing.com/mike_nichols_bio.html

last note:
a line from the bio:
"...2000, Charlie Summers asked Mike to race with him in the IMCA Modifed division."

Charlie Summers, #138 green Nova, was my childhood hero at Adams County Speedway.

over4T
05-10-2019, 10:46 AM
I agree totally with Mike, a very good racer who didn't get everything handed to him. He obviously loves the sport and does all he can to support it.

Our attitude towards racing reflects his though our accomplishments certainly don't. If there's a race, whether local or way out of our area, we do all we can to make it. Even a bad night at the races is still more fun than not going.