PDA

View Full Version : Best Dirt Late Model race to attend

wfo2007
05-24-2019, 08:54 AM
If you could go to any DLM race between now and the end of the season which one would you choose and why? (No restrictions) I'm thinking about selling my World 100 tickets and going somewhere else.....from Texas.

Thanks

dirtybird73
05-24-2019, 09:23 AM
a couple on my "bucket list" include Knoxville and I-80...

BigDaddy84
05-24-2019, 09:33 AM
Agreed on those 2.

mcarter815
05-24-2019, 10:23 AM
Knoxville rarely disappoints. Most of the best races I've ever watched were there.

Dlmfan123
05-24-2019, 10:23 AM
Silver dollar nats, pdc and the north south are the ones I want to get too!

brsteg
05-24-2019, 10:37 AM
North South is a good one.

My vote for best is the World 100... but if looking for something different; the track a couple hours south on I75 puts on a good race most usually.

CIRF
05-24-2019, 10:48 AM
The bigger tracks, ie. the half mile's, don't provide a platform for the essence of what dirt late model racing in all about. That is to say the shorter tracks, ie. Macon, Fairbury, La Salle allow for much more of what most dirt late model fans want to see and that is rootin', gougin', beatin' and bangin'. For those reasons the Lucas Oil 100 lap race and the Herald & Review 100 at Mighty Macon would be at the top of the list.

Clamped
05-24-2019, 10:51 AM
Fairbury. Consistently great racing.

Cardirt0
05-24-2019, 12:04 PM
PDC you must make this race at lease Once in your life time 90% chance you see one of the best races ever

kidrock
05-24-2019, 12:25 PM
PDC you must make this race at lease Once in your life time 90% chance you see one of the best races ever

I've been to the PDC before they moved it to July but, now with it being on ppv I'm content at sitting home in my comfort chair and taking it all in.

In The Gas
05-24-2019, 12:35 PM
No doubt about it either Dream or the World 100 at Eldora. No track compares to it and the best drivers in the country are going to be there. Any other track is second fiddle to the Big E.
It’s Gods Country!

kazual
05-24-2019, 01:15 PM
Maybe depends on what you like or dislike. PDC at FALS (seldom disappoints, throw the car around type 1/4 mile track, fun atmosphere on the midway, feels crowded, especially the back stretch), Silver Dollar Nationals I80 Nebraska (many like the two night format, track races well for a big track, hotter than blue blazes in July, not a bad seat in the house, motels and restaurants within 30 minutes), Knoxville Iowa (good surface which changes enough to add intrigue, if you’re looking for a show that goes to midnight this maybe isn’t for you as they are usually done pretty early, big cushion that can bite), Cedar Lake Wisconsin (great fan atmosphere, lots of things to do in the surrounding area, high banked, 3/8s I think?, races well for most part, have seen it be not as good, easy access to motels on I94). I’d also watch for when Wheatland reschedules the Show Me, if they do?

mcarter815
05-24-2019, 01:15 PM
The bigger tracks, ie. the half mile's, don't provide a platform for the essence of what dirt late model racing in all about. That is to say the shorter tracks, ie. Macon, Fairbury, La Salle allow for much more of what most dirt late model fans want to see and that is rootin', gougin', beatin' and bangin'. For those reasons the Lucas Oil 100 lap race and the Herald & Review 100 at Mighty Macon would be at the top of the list.

I hate watching guys lean on each other. All I see are dollar signs and dozens of hours of work.

Thedoctor
05-24-2019, 02:09 PM
Good exciting racing : Fairbury, Cedar Lake. Top notch facility and speed : Knoxville. Hoping to hit up Eldora one of these years soon.

champion24
05-24-2019, 03:41 PM
World 100! End of story!!

reddyfreddy
05-24-2019, 03:52 PM
I love Eldora, been going for 20+ years and going again this year, but for the last 5 years I've taken in a week of the Hell Tour. I don't think there's a better place to see good racing than Macon. Went to FALS for the first time last year. It was good racing, but for my money, Macon can't be beat. Lead cars are in traffic by lap 5, and its Katy bar the door for 100 Laps

zyoung25
05-24-2019, 03:59 PM
My vote is for Macon and the North/South.

Highside Hustler25
05-24-2019, 06:38 PM
Macon Lucas show or Hell tour race. Take your pick. And FALS never disappoints. Like Reddyfreddy said, the leader is lapping the last place car within a few laps @ Macon.

slydejob18
05-24-2019, 08:51 PM
I also love Macon....home base for me as a kid. Cedar Lake (USA Nats) is great nearly every year, Knoxville is a unique animal and that makes it really special. It's a place where the best car and driver, if they finish, rarely loses. No fluke victories at Knoxville.

But hey, it's The World. Been going for many years. For me, it's still not close. Atmosphere, venue, prestige, competition. JMO here -- I also think it's still a great value, especially with the additions to the program over the past few years.

Go 18!!

ZERO25
05-24-2019, 09:23 PM
From what ive seen on ppv, Macon and Fals would be hard to beat!

Until I get there live, ill take Eastbay!

Josh Bayko
05-24-2019, 09:28 PM
The Hillbilly 100, because every dirt fan needs to experience Tyler County at least once.

Clamped
05-24-2019, 09:47 PM
The Hillbilly 100, because every dirt fan needs to experience Tyler County at least once.Fairbury is like Tyler County, except it’s racier and there’s no dust.

intel8
05-24-2019, 09:54 PM
Silver dollar nationals, late model show with USMTS is hard to beat, very well run show and excellent track prep!

buster83
05-25-2019, 08:00 AM
Atomic or was KC had some really really good racing on that 3/8 track i agree 100% with Cirf the smaller tracks provide the best racing the 1/2 mile provide good racing but they are a lot more spread out it seperates the best car&driver from the intermediate car&driver and usually 7 or 8 cars not lapped.

TerryM
05-25-2019, 08:26 AM
Speak for yourself.

CIRF
05-25-2019, 09:57 AM
Speak for yourself.

Oh, I did. And it appears you didn't like it. Sorry if I hurt your feelins'.

TerryM
05-25-2019, 11:40 AM
Oh, I did. And it appears you didn't like it. Sorry if I hurt your feelins'.
You couldn’t if you tried.

perftrans
05-25-2019, 01:00 PM
north/south or pdc both on and off track

mll8pt
05-25-2019, 03:58 PM
Fals, North/south, Show Me, Cedar Lake, are all great weekend shows. But if you have never been to Eldora yet its still hands down the best.

chupp n bloomer fan
05-25-2019, 04:03 PM
Oh, I did. And it appears you didn't like it. Sorry if I hurt your feelins'.You’re on the sh!tlist too, awesome.:)

chupp n bloomer fan
05-25-2019, 04:07 PM
I love Eldora, I just do, especially with Tony making tons of improvements. Hopefully he keeps doing what they did with traffic last year. And the added law enforcement, thumbs up from me.

I like Lernerville too. Would love to see Atomic redo their bleachers, and get possibly the DTWC back. That is my favorite track.

Bucket list would be FALS, Knoxville, Charlotte, Smoky Mountain, Indiana SpeedWeeks, and the Pa speed weeks. Others too. Heck, F1 race overseas, road course race at say Gilles Villenuve.

Highwayman
05-25-2019, 04:09 PM
The Show Me 100 when it was at West plains "was" the top of my list.
Second, would be probably "Clash at the Mag".
Third, "Topless 100".
any place that gets slick and requires skill to be fast.

Some people like heavy, hammer down, who's got the biggest motor and can throw elbows kinda stuff. I like slick-finesse-patience-make the fewest mistakes style racing, where you are less likely to be out spent and have to drive and setup the car properly.

lb_sa
05-25-2019, 04:47 PM
The North/South has been a race of the year candidate about every year in the last decade. For half mile tracks, doesn’t get much better than Florence.

MUD MAESTRO
05-25-2019, 09:42 PM
Luv seeing those 900 HP ponies stretch their legs. No better place than Zero's favorite track.....Knoxville. The key elements of racing is tested there, Man and Machine and no BS.

Dlmfan123
05-25-2019, 09:50 PM
I love Eldora, I just do, especially with Tony making tons of improvements. Hopefully he keeps doing what they did with traffic last year. And the added law enforcement, thumbs up from me.I like Lernerville too. Would love to see Atomic redo their bleachers, and get possibly the DTWC back. That is my favorite track.Bucket list would be FALS, Knoxville, Charlotte, Smoky Mountain, Indiana SpeedWeeks, and the Pa speed weeks. Others too. Heck, F1 race overseas, road course race at say Gilles Villenuve. lernerville has been pretty racy this year!! Hope they can finally get some good weather for the fire cracker

dirtyboy
05-26-2019, 01:04 AM
Your original question said "1 race". All of the above answers are fantastic.

But if its Late Models you are into, and you can only see "0ne", the answer is simple:

You go to the World's 100

TerryM
05-26-2019, 08:34 AM
The Show Me 100 when it was at West plains "was" the top of my list.
Second, would be probably "Clash at the Mag".
Third, "Topless 100".
any place that gets slick and requires skill to be fast.

Some people like heavy, hammer down, who's got the biggest motor and can throw elbows kinda stuff. I like slick-finesse-patience-make the fewest mistakes style racing, where you are less likely to be out spent and have to drive and setup the car properly.
Good post. I sort of agree, but I love it hammer down too, as long as it’s not so hammer down that there’s only 6 or 7 cars left on the track at the end of the race. As long as there’s passing, I’m good. I don’t much care about anything else.

Of the tracks I haven’t yet attended, my first pick would be I-80.

dirt junkie
05-26-2019, 09:04 AM
Macon gets my vote. Went last year for the first time, to the Lucas race. My first impression when we walked into the track was they’re really gonna race late models here?!? It’s like sitting on the rim of a cereal bowl to watch a race. You won’t be disappointed

foxfire2dirtracing
05-26-2019, 09:12 AM
Lots of good answers from different perspectives. My bucket list track is I-80 because I have never been there. (Also never been to the PDC) These 2 are on my wish list even tho the thread is about recomendations for 1 track. I guess for the “ultimate experience “ I would have to list Eldora (dream or world). The Winternationals from start to finish is also a great trip starting with Golden Isles & ending with Volusia. 15 races in 16 days is awesome. (16-in 16 if you want to do North Florida on Sunday)
Chupp/Bloomerfan: I see Smoky Mountain is on your list- with Roger Sellers becoming sole owner -he is really making improvements with many more to come. Great down to earth guy who understNds racing! If you ever get a chance-take in big show at Tazewell at least once. You won’t be disappointed-alto the facilities are much “outdated” or maybe “old school” for a different terminology! 🏁🏁

formercrewguy
05-26-2019, 11:11 AM
For me it would be Knoxville. Never been. Hope to soon.

foxfire2dirtracing
05-26-2019, 11:43 AM
Made our first trip to Knoxville 3-4 years ago. It was the year Jared Landers won. Awesome facility & the sheer speed at that track is unreal. Small little town that comes to life!

dirtcrazy4u
05-26-2019, 12:14 PM
Port Royal in pa for the lucas race. I wish they could have a 2 day show there with a big time sponsor stepping up.

My top picks tho would be.
Eldora, it is the king
Pennsboro, wow the experience
Hagerstown, the sheer speed
Lernerville, in the days of Don Martin
PPMS. The drivers love that place.

Snowmanracr21
05-27-2019, 12:23 AM
World 100 is not comparable to anything else but if I had to pick another late model event it would be the North South 100 at Florence. Always good racing

waaac77
05-27-2019, 06:54 AM
Eldora is the best but only because of the history with that track. Knoxville is the best currently. The whole town embraces racing. Marquees all over town say “welcome race fans” and there’s just a great vibe when you know you’re around so many people that love racing like you do. Dingus bar across the street is legendary. It’s like Indy with the speeds they go, just incredible. Knoxville, IA is truly the capital of dirt racing. Wish I could go to that race every year.

Trax53
05-30-2019, 12:48 PM
WORLD 100 at ELDORA....no question
Also,
The NORTH SOUTH 100 at FLORENCE
The DREAM @ Eldora
World Finals at CHARLOTTE
Speedweeks in Florida