PDA

View Full Version : Anybody See The Flyover?

CIRF
05-27-2019, 06:47 PM
Besides the race being a very, very good one the Indy 500 flyover was SPECTACULAR!! For those of you who either weren't there or didn't watch the ceremonies leading up to the command to start engines there was a traditional WW II vintage war bird flyover which is always very cool. But, just a few seconds following the vintage WW II bomber and fighter planes an A-10 Warthog and a F-16 Fighting Falcon appeared. The Warthog did two passes over he infield with the left wing dipped (which is the Air Force way of honoring fallen soldiers) and he was flat haulin' f---in the mail. THEN the Fighting Falcon came over the south short chute between turns 1 & 2 and when he got to the middle of the infield he went full vertical to an altitude that rendered him nearly out of sight.

I don't know if there is video that does this whole scene justice but it's by far the best fly-over we've ever seen at a sporting event. I'm glad we were among the 300,000+ in attendance that had the honor of witnessing the whole spectacle!!

Clayton_Wetter
05-27-2019, 08:00 PM
Heard they had Nater tied to the nose of one of those jets!!!! :)

Barbecueboy
05-29-2019, 07:40 AM
I lived very near an afb that had the warthogs and those things are very cool.........flying tanks.

CIRF
05-29-2019, 10:38 AM
I must admit, I've been to only a couple of airshows so I'm probably overreacting a bit but the maneuver the F-16 made was awe inspiring, to say the least. He/she went straight up nearly out of sight and it didn't take long to get there. The loudest noise we heard all day was when the Fighting Falcon went full vertical and booted it in the ass. You not only heard it, but it shook your soul!!

It seemed all 300,000+ people at The Speedway were surprised that the Warthog made a second pass. The second time he/she went over the backstretch with the wing tips full vertical they were COOKIN'!!

Raceready
07-23-2019, 05:40 AM
It sounds like it was an awesome sight to behold, INDEED ! ! !