PDA

View Full Version : Georgia's Swainsboro Raceway to close

Returning to Dirt
05-30-2019, 10:03 AM
https://insidedirtracing.com/georgias-swainsboro-raceway-to-close/

The track opened in 1964 is shutting down effective immediately

Mams
05-30-2019, 01:44 PM
Just up the road from Swainsboro on the east side of 56 there appears to be an abandoned dirt track. Does anyone know what track that was?

One Man Gang
05-30-2019, 02:32 PM
Wonder if Cook will find a track to take the July 19 Southern National event ?

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
05-30-2019, 04:14 PM
Wonder if Cook will find a track to take the July 19 Southern National event ?

Heres a chance for another track to fit into there schedule!

weatherman85
05-30-2019, 04:17 PM
Was Swainsboro hurting fan wise? I always thought they pulled good car counts and crowds but could be wrong as I haven't been in years.

TerryM
05-30-2019, 06:04 PM
Terrible time management and single file around the bottom racing every week. That’s how it’s been in the five years I’ve lived down here. Combine that with the terrible weather in this area, and fans are not going to support it. It’s a nice facility though. They just need somebody who cares about the fans to operate it. It’s a sad situation for us personally, because my wife and her family have been regulars at Swainsboro for decades. Her dad raced there and later flagged, and her Uncle Ollie was flagman there until retiring two years ago. Hopefully somebody, with a plan, buys it.

nlhenry55
05-31-2019, 03:58 PM
Just up the road from Swainsboro on the east side of 56 there appears to be an abandoned dirt track. Does anyone know what track that was?
You are talking about Speedway Park , a1/4 mile clay oval. Swainsboro is my hometown and in the late 60s JT (Red ) Kight built the track behind his auto auction& car lot. My brother Bobby Henry leased the track in the early 70s for motorcycle flattrack racing, that tack is where me & a lot of buddies learned to race& I have logged a lot of laps there& made everlasting memories. Different ones also promoted racing there also & tried stock cars but it was so short there was hardly any passing. Ray Millers National late model series ran a race there I believe in 1995 , David Rutimenn won it. Iwas there & they was a lot of beating & banging going on. Later on in the80s some flattrack races were held & it closed. Sure miss that place.