PDA

View Full Version : Eldora jewels

zyoung25
06-05-2019, 01:29 AM
Is it harder to make the world and dream in today's era or 90s era? What's your opinion?

pierceFAN
06-05-2019, 02:33 AM
In the old days they had 200+ cars...twice as many

golddirt
06-05-2019, 04:47 AM
Takes a lot more money nowadays

dirtcrazy4u
06-05-2019, 05:32 AM
To pull into eldora today it probably would cost you 500 K . In the 90's half as much.

RaceEngineer
06-05-2019, 05:58 AM
Is it harder to make the world and dream in today's era or 90s era? What's your opinion?Easier to make it. Harder to win it.

Clayton_Wetter
06-05-2019, 02:34 PM
To pull into eldora today it probably would cost you 500 K . In the 90's half as much.

500K ??????????? Get ahold of some bad stuff????? :)

waaac77
06-05-2019, 04:49 PM
It does cost more today than back then and there were 200+ cars but did that even matter? Pretty sure you knew back then of the 25-30 guys that had a real shot at making the show with everyone else having no chance. Point is, I don't think it's changed that much, just the cost but to answer the question. I would say harder today simply because of the cost. You really gotta be at the top of your game to run with the big boys more today than before, in my opinoion.

dirt crow
06-05-2019, 05:05 PM
Eldora Jewels?? I’d say Davenport, Pierce, Van Wormer got em. And definitely Charlie Swartz. Takes a real man to run that wall. Lol!!!!

Phatdaddy
06-05-2019, 05:41 PM
In the old days they had 200+ cars...twice as many

I think there were 200+ in the '80s because there was no entry fee.

pierceFAN
06-05-2019, 07:02 PM

Possibly....but....they have also put a limit on how many cars you can enter...one year I think Charlie Sentman (racin auctioneer) qualified 5 cars trying to get in

superstock79
06-05-2019, 07:19 PM

3 day pit pass is $103, the driver entry fee is $150(which includes a 3 day pit pass)

No one in this sport is that worried about $47....

chupp n bloomer fan
06-05-2019, 09:09 PM
Freddie Smith said it’s harder now. So take it for what it’s worth. I’d say harder now, they are all so equal. Yeah you had 200+, but there was some not do stellar guys trying to just say they raced at Eldora.

dirt crow
06-05-2019, 10:04 PM
The DoD article on Freddy was really good. Hope the Eldora powers can persuade him to be there Saturday for pre race ceremonies.

Snowmanracr21
06-05-2019, 11:59 PM
There were 200+ up until about 8-10 years ago. Which is why 5 out of 6 World 100's that Billy Moyer won are a lot more valuable than today with 90 cars. And in those days also there were a lot more than 10-15 guys that could win. Money has ruined it now

ThebigE
06-06-2019, 09:13 AM
The early 90's was a more even playing field. The money and racing has got to be ridiculous and too expensive for most small teams to complete so they don't even show up anymore. You would still get 200 cars if it was more up to the driver and set-up instead of $40-50k motors, shocks etc.

formercrewguy
06-06-2019, 04:25 PM
Don't kid yourself. There has ALWAYS been the haves and have nots! Clear back to the Roman days of chariot racing..

chupp n bloomer fan
06-06-2019, 05:56 PM
The early 90's was a more even playing field. The money and racing has got to be ridiculous and too expensive for most small teams to complete so they don't even show up anymore. You would still get 200 cars if it was more up to the driver and set-up instead of $40-50k motors, shocks etc.Freddie Smith will disagree with you.

RaceEngineer
06-06-2019, 06:04 PM
Freddie Smith will disagree with you.With all due respect, it's been a long time since the Southern Gentleman made a lap. And, he was one of the greatest in his day. Not sure his perspective is calibrated.

chupp n bloomer fan
06-07-2019, 03:57 AM
With all due respect, it's been a long time since the Southern Gentleman made a lap. And, he was one of the greatest in his day. Not sure his perspective is calibrated.Freddie is still helping younger guys. Between him and what he picked up from his Dad, I’d say he has enough experience and perspective to have a valid opinion.

They all are so equal now, not just 15-20 of them, half the field at least.

dirtcrazy4u
06-07-2019, 04:55 AM
There all some form of a xr-1 copy anyhow. And personally I think mark had one of Ole bloomie 's cars on his table when they created the xr-1.

chupp n bloomer fan
06-07-2019, 05:30 AM
There all some form of a xr-1 copy anyhow. And personally I think mark had one of Ole bloomie 's cars on his table when they created the xr-1.Mark tried that with the orange front Rocket cars. Blankenship’s car more specifically, and I think it’s when they had all that success, Blankenship. But it failed for everyone else to my enjoyment. Scott tried to go to court supposedly, but he was going to compete with the money behind John. Port City is where I believe they supposedly jigged it.

I think the XR-1, I know some say it has been printed, I’ve never seen it, but from a person who has run nothing but Rockets, and has one of the first XR1’s, that the original XR1 is a combination of Mark and Kevin Rumley’s ideas. And Mark has given credit to the #87 guy up in Michigan. Nielsen??

My personal thought is once Kevin helped out Longhorn, that started this downward spiral of insanely priced cars. And Mark hasn’t stayed on top without staying up or above the curve. So now ya have Rocket, Longhorn, BD, I guess Club 29, and SB cars. I know Rocket and Longhorn do all the gadget stuff, I’d assume so does the others mentioned. And Barry Wright, them are a good piece too.

And I’m not really putting down any of them, is what it is. If the rules are what they are, you do all you can and then some till they tell you no. And the copying, I dunno. You gotta start somewhere, have a baseline. So unless you have an agreement to not copy a car, is what it is too.

zyoung25
06-07-2019, 07:17 AM
I'm not so sure I agree with it being easier to make now days, not saying it was easy to make back in the day. But we seen a lot more surprise guys make it back in the 90s compared to what we see today. It takes a ton of luck to make these shows now days, even if you spend the big dollars. With this format, you have to get a good draw for qualifying both nights to set yourself up to get max points for qualifying. In the old days, you could get a good early draw and just be hopeful you burnt off a lap. You've got to qualify really good both nights with this format.