PDA

View Full Version : Dirt late model greats

chupp n bloomer fan
06-20-2019, 07:53 AM
Moyer, Bloomer, Duvall, Simmons, Boggs, and so on, very average drivers. They excelled at one division, so they are mediocre. Feel free to add more to this moronic list.

I’ll start one one for sprints to if ya guys like. Let’s go full retard.

Start with Schatz, Swindell minus his tricked out midget, Steve Kinser, and so on. Bobby Allen.

Barbecueboy
06-20-2019, 08:12 AM
Freddy smith was pretty average......epj....Josh Richards....Steve Francis all mid packers, right ?

MontanaMagic1619*
06-20-2019, 08:40 AM
No greatest drivers list should be shown unless Jeff Purvis' name is on it, wouldn't u agree ?

Mams
06-20-2019, 08:42 AM
Don’t forget field filler Donnie Moran!

waaac77
06-20-2019, 09:25 AM
Everyone is the greatest driver. If you don't believe that then it's discrimination!

Highside Hustler25
06-20-2019, 09:40 AM
I'll go full retard and say that Steve Kinser is about as average as you can get.

ride height
06-20-2019, 09:51 AM
What about Earl Baltes? Built a crappy over rated track. Never have exciting races there. Purvis? what did he ever do except hold up faster traffic?

rolldog
06-20-2019, 10:49 AM
Winged warriors - Wolfgang, Opperman, Mark Kinser, Lasoski, Jac to add a few. Midget guys like Kenyon, Vogler, Tripp or the USAC sprint/silver crown guys like Hewitt or Darland.

rolldog
06-20-2019, 10:49 AM
Then there are those guys like Foyt, Stewart, Andretti who thought they were the sh** by driving everything and winning...

MontanaMagic1619*
06-20-2019, 12:22 PM
Jeff Purvis holding up faster traffic, what a crock of manuer !! Apparently you never went to Eldora back in the day, otherwise you would have thought something different !

fastford
06-20-2019, 01:05 PM
i think he was being sarcastic MM , and in the other thread that CnB spun this off of , some one mentioned petty , he tried another form of racing one time that didnt work out to well , killed some people.......

3 wide
06-20-2019, 01:05 PM
What about Doug kenimer ,Charlie Hughes Leon archer,H.E. Vineyard,L.D.ottinger back in the late 70s an early 80s these guys plus a lot more were bad news the best racing was at Boyd's on Friday night an Rome on Sunday night Rome would be standing room only on Sunday night you can throw in snooks defore he drove for bob wright out of tunnel hill ga.buck Simmons drove for him some in later years

TBSprintFan
06-20-2019, 01:22 PM
Hey CnB ,
Since everyone knows where you are going with this thread, don't you mean ol snort instead of saying bloomer. Lol

waaac77
06-20-2019, 02:55 PM
That Big Daddy Don Garlits thought he was the sh*t back in the day constantly blowing motors and smoking the tires every run. Biggest overrated driver in NHRA history besides Tony Schumacher.

TS FAN
06-20-2019, 03:31 PM
I knew this thread would go south in hurry. LOL

Cardirt0
06-20-2019, 03:33 PM
Roger Long 36 Was great, and if he put racing first and not his farm he been greater. Wolfgang was one of the best in a sprint.

Mod22
06-20-2019, 04:04 PM
Brad Doty and Bobby Allen in sprints and Larry Phillips in LM.

kidrock
06-20-2019, 04:17 PM
No greatest drivers list should be shown unless Jeff Purvis' name is on it, wouldn't u agree ?

You betcha Montana Magic!

dirtcrazy4u
06-20-2019, 04:48 PM
You guys are talking mostly guys that ran 1 class of car most of there careers.

LOU BLANEY. Dominate in a sprint car and a Big Block Mod.
JACK HEWITT. That S.O.B. could drive the wheels off anything
BOB WEARING. Mr. Invitational. 1 year, won every race he entered at lernerville, was also a threat in a modified
ED LYNCH. Another sprint car and modified
BLACKIE WATT. Same as above

Boy those where the golden years for sure.

ZERO25
06-20-2019, 05:05 PM
Lets not forget the midget midget driver.....Rico!

dirtluver
06-20-2019, 05:49 PM
One guy that stands out to me is Paul Shafer..Not sure of everything he raced..Monster Trucks, dirt late models, Sportman, Mud drags, legends cars, Late model pavement, and could be more..Was good at everyone of them also,

billetbirdcage
06-20-2019, 05:56 PM
Goggles Pizano

Bloomerdirtking
06-20-2019, 05:59 PM
Hey, what about that lady that thought she could drag race? Shirley? Shirley Muldowney??

HoosierDirtFan
06-20-2019, 06:02 PM
One guy that stands out to me is Paul Shafer..Not sure of everything he raced..Monster Trucks, dirt late models, Sportman, Mud drags, legends cars, Late model pavement, and could be more..Was good at everyone of them also,

I've know Paul for years. Lives about 15 minutes from me. Nicest guy you could meet. He's race a bunch of different cars over the years. 1985 Brownstown Speedway Track Champion. Probably the only thing he hasn't raced is a sprint car. A buddy of mine pit crewed for him back in the early 1980's. Paul was pretty good in a dirt late model. Had fun watching him race as a kid.

NY DIRT
06-20-2019, 06:16 PM

I am 74 years old and I believe that Bloomer is the GOAT when it comes to super late model racing.He has stayed in this division for so long and won everything there is to win. He can build the cars, He knows how to set them up, He is great at marketing, sells merchandise and runs his own show.

But when it comes to just driving the car, nobody could drive a super late model better then Jeff Purvis
When he pulled into the pits, it did not matter which track it was, He was the man to beat.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
06-20-2019, 06:57 PM
Hey, what about that lady that thought she could drag race? Shirley? Shirley Muldowney??

The force girls got her in more ways than 1 🤪🤪

ride height
06-20-2019, 07:04 PM
I am 74 years old and I believe that Bloomer is the GOAT when it comes to super late model racing.He has stayed in this division for so long and won everything there is to win. He can build the cars, He knows how to set them up, He is great at marketing, sells merchandise and runs his own show.

But when it comes to just driving the car, nobody could drive a super late model better then Jeff Purvis
When he pulled into the pits, it did not matter which track it was, He was the man to beat.

We have a winner.

kidrock
06-20-2019, 07:11 PM

We have a winner.

Yes we do!

fastford
06-20-2019, 07:55 PM
any body that was around talladega short track or BIR back in the day knew a fellow named Bones Brasher , he drove a car for the ole man that helped me get started and in there day they whipped every body,s azz around here , including the allison,s .........

LugNutz
06-21-2019, 05:03 AM
Don't forget in Late Models The Great Larry Moore he won a few races in his day.

CIRF
06-21-2019, 08:40 AM
This is a great thread and it's clear that the lyric's of a great old Paul Simon song are very apropos. Forgive me, for I've replaced the word "he's" with the word "snort's" in the lyric's to better fit the subject matter but the general theme is spot on!

snort's a one-trick pony
One trick is all that boy can do
He does, one trick only
It's the principal source of his revenue

Here's the video if ya' wanna' enjoy the whole song.

Popcorn anyone? LOLOL!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDM_ZohMCGk

kazual
06-21-2019, 09:18 AM
Not saying he was the best in either venue but Larry Phillips gets my vote as the best on dirt and asphalt combined that I’ve seen personally.

TS FAN
06-21-2019, 10:41 AM

Being about the same age as you, I hate hate hate to have to agree with you. LOL
But it is there for all too see. I do not hate Bloomer, but I never have been a fan.
He got off on the wrong foot with me because he was always holding up proceedings. Late Late
like a Drama queen. However he is the most accomplished LM of all time. NO DOUBT

TS FAN
06-21-2019, 10:44 AM
I see the mention of two other greats Larry Moore who i know and Larry Phillips who I know about.
Another guy who was a stellar talent and quite a character who I saw race his whole career was Pat
Patrick. He was as good of wheel man as there was. Purvis who was also mentioned was fantastic too. Having pretty much left the dirt LM at 30, it is hard to tell of what his accomplishments would have been the last thirty years.

old_wedge_nut
06-21-2019, 11:59 AM
Butch Hartman was another really good on both dirt and asphalt.

ZERO25
06-21-2019, 12:07 PM
This is a great thread and it's clear that the lyric's of a great old Paul Simon song are very apropos. Forgive me, for I've replaced the word "he's" with the word "snort's" in the lyric's to better fit the subject matter but the general theme is spot on!

snort's a one-trick pony
One trick is all that boy can do
He does, one trick only
It's the principal source of his revenue

Here's the video if ya' wanna' enjoy the whole song.

Popcorn anyone? LOLOL!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDM_ZohMCGk

Speaking of one trick pony, your boy Larson is tearing it up......literally! :)

fastford
06-22-2019, 11:40 AM
one thing about it , ole bloomer does and has done that trick better through out the years than any one else over the long haul...period......

WildBill32
06-22-2019, 12:26 PM
one thing about it , ole bloomer does and has done that trick better through out the years than any one else over the long haul...period......Yes, and he also leads the trick of being light at the scales. And being late to get to the track. Through out the years... Period...

fastford
06-22-2019, 03:51 PM
i know it right , and just think , if it were not for those issues wild bill , he would supersede the term GOAT.....

ZERO25
06-22-2019, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=WildBill32;2271374]Yes, and he also leads the trick of ........

....getting the most responses from his HATERS!

Fixed it for ya! :)

MUD MAESTRO
06-22-2019, 10:08 PM
If you ever saw the 3 greats from Keokuk Iowa, Ramo Stott, Ernie Derr and Don White. Your list of greats would always mention these three multi talented drivers. Then there was D!ck Hutcherson also from Keokuk, a winner in NASCAR and a champion dirt driver early in his career.