PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 dirt tracks in U.S.? - After last nights race hard to imagine FALS not in top 5

HoosierDirtFan
06-23-2019, 03:46 PM
What are your top 5 dirt tracks in the U.S. based purely on racing?

After watching last nights race at Fairbury it's hard not to imagine FALS it's a persons top 5 picks for best dirt tracks in the U.S. based on the racing action.

t4g2
06-23-2019, 03:54 PM
hard to give a top 5 unless you have been to all the tracks in the country.

HoosierDirtFan
06-23-2019, 03:56 PM

You make a good point.

WildBill32
06-23-2019, 04:00 PM
What are your top 5 dirt tracks in the U.S. based purely on racing?After watching last nights race at Fairbury it's hard not to imagine FALS it's a persons top 5 picks for best dirt tracks in the U.S. based on the racing action.You are Sooooooo right HoosierDirtFan. But, I would have to throw i-80s hat in the ring for the top 5 as well. The Silver Dollar Nationals does provide some great racing. It seems like that is the best track I have ever seen for running the passing points format. You can race all over that track.(When it is right) You can come from back to the front in like ten laps.

t4g2
06-23-2019, 04:05 PM
there's several to choose from Macon fals Eldora Knoxville i80 any track sarge promotes as his shows are always efficient and top notch on track prep pevely I hear Florence is pretty good I never been.

Cardirt0
06-23-2019, 04:23 PM
Call it the BEST 5 tracks you BEEN to then

JimBo
06-23-2019, 04:27 PM
Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland Missouri is #1 for me.

pierceFAN
06-23-2019, 04:30 PM
Call it the BEST 5 tracks you BEEN to then

Fals
Eldora
Brownstown
West Virginia motor speedway
Cedar lake

cgrace
06-23-2019, 05:24 PM
So even though I am from Central Illinois, I say no to Fairbury as one of the top five tracks in the country. IMO the race at Jacksonville was just as exciting, so are the races at Macon and usually Belleclaire. What I'd say is Fairbury is one of the top five tracks in regards to promotion and putting forth the effort. They group that works at the track is one of the hardest working in many regards.

Big Daddy 37
06-23-2019, 05:33 PM
Always consider Eldora, Cedar Lake, Macon (sadly haven't been to FALS yet), and Knoxville, to be about the best. But i'll also add Grand Forks, ND and Deer Creek to that cool list.
Plus East Bay and Volusia, just because of the time & location.

nc mudcat
06-23-2019, 06:12 PM
Wythe is my #1.

t3r3e3
06-23-2019, 06:23 PM

Can't be 5 better tracks than Fairbury. I'd put FALS and Haubstadt on any Top 5 list without hesitation. For that matter, I'd choose FALS, Haubstadt, Eldora, Knoxville, and I-55 and feel pretty good about it. If someone wanted to sub in Macon, Cedar Lake, Duck River, Belle Clair, Greenville, Florence, Whynot, or Magnolia that'd be fine.

Illtsate32
06-23-2019, 06:36 PM
This is opinion based only lots of people don't like the 1/4-1/5 miles so they discard them even though they produce great racing. So many tracks after watch the Lucas race at Deer Creek last year I'd throw it in my top 5 right now

t4g2
06-23-2019, 06:43 PM
I agree. I like the smaller tracks not a big fan of horse power and bigger tracks. And there's plenty of tracks I haven't been to. Fals 10 years ago was the total opposite of what it is today. Glad it's been changed. example is heat 3 of pdc last year was the norm 10 plus years ago.

kidrock
06-23-2019, 06:51 PM
1. Eldora
2. Knoxville
3. Lucas oil Speedway
4. Cedar Lake
5. Fairbury

WisWildManFan
06-23-2019, 07:01 PM
Eldora, FALS, Macon, i55, east bay

HoosierDirtFan
06-23-2019, 07:25 PM
This is opinion based only lots of people don't like the 1/4-1/5 miles so they discard them even though they produce great racing. So many tracks after watch the Lucas race at Deer Creek last year I'd throw it in my top 5 right now

This wasn't meant to be so much an opinion more as a conversation. I was trying to see if the consensus as to weather FALS is a top 5 track against other tracks that produce great racing. I don't care what the facility looks like if they produce great racing how do stack up against other great dirt tracks. Just my thoughts.

As to my top 5 tracks
If I made a list - in any order - tracks I've been to.
FALS - Tri-State - Boone - Kokomo - Eldora
There are many other tracks you could substitute to replace one on my list - Whynot, Macon, Belle-Clair, Knoxville, I-80, ect,

You guys should get on YouTube and check out tracks in other parts of the country and watch them as well. From New York to Texas to California there are a bunch of great tracks I just haven't been to them to develop a real opinion.

This will be a good conversation as long as we stay on topic of tracks that produce great racing.

Hope the insane amount of rain stops soon!!

Illtsate32
06-23-2019, 07:47 PM
This wasn't meant to be so much an opinion more as a conversation. I was trying to see if the consensus as to weather FALS is a top 5 track against other tracks that produce great racing. I don't care what the facility looks like if they produce great racing how do stack up against other great dirt tracks. Just my thoughts.

As to my top 5 tracks
If I made a list - in any order - tracks I've been to.
FALS - Tri-State - Boone - Kokomo - Eldora
There are many other tracks you could substitute to replace one on my list - Whynot, Macon, Belle-Clair, Knoxville, I-80, ect,

You guys should get on YouTube and check out tracks in other parts of the country and watch them as well. From New York to Texas to California there are a bunch of great tracks I just haven't been to them to develop a real opinion.

This will be a good conversation as long as we stay on topic of tracks that produce great racing.

Hope the insane amount of rain stops soon!!

Yes Hoosier my post was not in any way directed towards you or meant to be derogatory, the year Pierce flipped at the PDC when his nose folded under I think that could of went down as a barn burner between him and Richards, I'm saying when the track is right it's definitely top 5. Prob the most treacherous cushion I've seen in a long time. Mike Harrison said you have to drive it like a maniac but be cautious and tip toe at the same time lol sounds like a handful...

Clayton_Wetter
06-23-2019, 07:54 PM
Fairbury is top five. Wish Brownstown would pattern this place. I wouldn't put B-town in the top 100 at this point.

HoosierDirtFan
06-23-2019, 07:58 PM

Yes Hoosier my post was not in any way directed towards you or meant to be derogatory, the year Pierce flipped at the PDC when his nose folded under I think that could of went down as a barn burner between him and Richards, I'm saying when the track is right it's definitely top 5. Prob the most treacherous cushion I've seen in a long time. Mike Harrison said you have to drive it like a maniac but be cautious and tip toe at the same time lol sounds like a handful...

I know. Where good. Just my thoughts.
I would for once like to have a decent conversation on here. Just wondered what others opinions are. There are a ton of good tracks. Just wonders where FALS stacks up against other good tracks.

ZERO25
06-23-2019, 08:21 PM
Eastbay, FALS, Macon, Bubba, Eldora

useddirt
06-23-2019, 09:04 PM
This not in any special order just my thoughts on top 5. I-80 , Tyler County, Cedar Lake, Fairbury, and Knoxville. The last being Knoxville , not some much side by side but the racing is always good there, the other 4 dont buy the whole seat cause you'll only need the edge. In their hey day you could put East Bay and Bulls Gap and Lernerville in there, not so much now though.

Cardirt0
06-23-2019, 09:14 PM
Fairbury 1 use to love Danville.. Still love FarmerCity and they trying hard to make it a better place. thing is 3 i loved a lot closed now..
Boswell be for they put 40 foot of dirt in the middle of it and killed it

ride height
06-23-2019, 09:29 PM
It’s hard to beat the atmosphere at FALS. Top 5? Who knows...but there is no chance you’ll not have fun at that joint. The whole town revolves around that race track and it’s pretty darn cool.

CIRF
06-23-2019, 10:10 PM
Are we talking the 5 best dirt late model racetracks in the country? If so, Fairbury and Jacksonville are for sure in the top 5. However, I wouldn't rank Fairbury in the all around top 5. Not even close. Eldora and Knoxville are in the top 5 of all dirt tracks. Ventura Raceway out in Ventura, California is definitely all around top 5, for sure, and Perris Auto Speedway in Perris, California is also top 5 over all. Kokomo Speedway and Jacksonville Speedway are a toss-up for the 5th spot on the list of all around best.

I'm sure there are dirt track fans out east who would have a different top 5 and they would make a legitimate case.

HoosierDirtFan
06-23-2019, 10:20 PM
are we talking the 5 best dirt late model racetracks in the country? If so, fairbury and jacksonville are for sure in the top 5. However, i wouldn't rank fairbury in the all around top 5. Not even close. Eldora and knoxville are in the top 5 of all dirt tracks. Ventura raceway out in ventura, california is definitely all around top 5, for sure, and perris auto speedway in perris, california is also top 5 over all. Kokomo speedway and jacksonville speedway are a toss-up for the 5th spot on the list of all around best.

I'm sure there are dirt track fans out east who would have a different top 5 and they would make a legitimate case.

no. I'm talking 5 best dirt tracks in america period by the action on the track.

Roundtown21
06-23-2019, 10:41 PM
Best 5 I've been to, Eldora, Atomic, West Virginia motor speedway, florence, golden isles.

Dlmfan123
06-23-2019, 11:24 PM
I haven’t been to that many tracks but of the ones I’ve been to is eldora Port royal and Tyler county. Trying to get to fals this year!!

Minny Lakes
06-24-2019, 03:22 AM
I94, River Cities, Cedar Lake, I80, Park Jefferson

dch191
06-24-2019, 03:27 AM
FALS, East Bay, Marshalltown, Tri State, Macon

Fairbury and Tri State are the only two that I’ve been to in person but after watching numerous videos and PPVs over the years, the other 3 would be the first 3 tracks I’d like to knock off the bucket list if I had the chance.

dirtybird73
06-24-2019, 07:05 AM
Fairbury is top five. Wish Brownstown would pattern this place. I wouldn't put B-town in the top 100 at this point.

You left a zero off top 1000!!

ride height
06-24-2019, 07:12 AM
I should say...the fair board runs it, along with the Legion

waaac77
06-24-2019, 09:15 AM
Without question Knoxville is the best track.

Knoxville
Deer Creek
FALS
Cedar Lake
I-80

Hard to not have Eldora on that list but I honestly think these are better. I'd have Eldora #6

CIRF
06-24-2019, 09:40 AM
no. I'm talking 5 best dirt tracks in america period by the action on the track.

Okay, thanks for the verification.

The longer you think about it the more confounding this subject can become. Over the years we've seen some of the most exciting racing ever at Macon Speedway produced by both the dirt late models and the midgets. It's imperative to include The Chili Bowl track in Tulsa if we're talking consistent great racing year in and year out! I don't know if the Chili Bowl track itself produces the consistent great racing or if it's the overall high quality of the competitors.

Just about every track can host spectacular racing on any given night. In the case of FALS the quality of late model and modified competition has been as consistently high as anywhere on a week to week basis and it's been that way for decades. That bears the question to be asked, is it the track or is it more about the high quality of competition. I surely don't know the answer, maybe some of you other gentlemen do.

dirtyboy
06-24-2019, 10:21 AM
Fairbury is definitely Top 5 in the country when it comes to consistent top notch racing action on the track.

CIRF
06-24-2019, 10:43 AM
Fairbury is definitely Top 5 in the country when it comes to consistent top notch racing action on the track.

I can't completely disagree but we attended the 2018 WoO's Sprint Car event at FALS and most of the sprint car A-main was a rubbered up choo-choo. The most exciting portion of the event was watching Jacob Allen and Kyle Larson, among a couple others, totally decimate the overall FALS track record in qualifying. We had friends who drove a substantial distance to Fairbury specifically to watch the WoO's and they came away somewhat disappointed. Especially after all the hype I'd given them as to how great FALS is and how racy the track is. They took a pass on the WoO event at FALS this year. The point is they have a much different opinion of FALS than those of us who regularly attend. That's what make this topic so subjective. Most times it's the luck of the draw.

Tireguy17
06-24-2019, 10:51 AM
Top 5 I've Been To:
1. Eldora
2. Knoxville
3. Cedar Lake
4. I-80
5. East Bay (Not for the facility, but saw alot of good races there)

play4kps
06-24-2019, 11:25 AM
Eldora, Florence, FALS, Atomic and Lucas Oil.
I think Florence by far has the best sight lines to watch a race. You can see everything there.
It would be nice if Eldora put all pits out of infield or lowered infield. No matter where you sit at Eldora you miss 30% of the race due to not seeing the racing action.

foxfire2dirtracing
06-24-2019, 11:42 AM
Play4kps
I have to disagree with you on Eldora. My seats are patio section AA and the view of the track is not blocked other than at the bottom next to the wall in turn #2 . The part of the track where the racing takes place is fine. I think missing 30% of the race is a streatch- but this is just my take of the view my seating location. 🏁🏁

fastford
06-24-2019, 11:54 AM

is California even still in america ??????

chad1888
06-24-2019, 11:55 AM
1. fals, track and environment
2. knoxville, same as fals
3. river cites, it just a bad ass little joint
4 whynot, seems to always be racey
5. crowleys ridge, ar, probably best track in arkansas that nobody knows about.

pevely, macon, belle clair, eldora. they can be added just as easily.

dirtyboy
06-24-2019, 12:24 PM
I can't completely disagree but we attended the 2018 WoO's Sprint Car event at FALS and most of the sprint car A-main was a rubbered up choo-choo. The most exciting portion of the event was watching Jacob Allen and Kyle Larson, among a couple others, totally decimate the overall FALS track record in qualifying. We had friends who drove a substantial distance to Fairbury specifically to watch the WoO's and they came away somewhat disappointed. Especially after all the hype I'd given them as to how great FALS is and how racy the track is. They took a pass on the WoO event at FALS this year. The point is they have a much different opinion of FALS than those of us who regularly attend. That's what make this topic so subjective. Most times it's the luck of the draw.

It's a shame your friends didn't get to attend this years WoO show!

CIRF
06-24-2019, 01:48 PM
It's a shame your friends didn't get to attend this years WoO show!

You got that right, dirtyboy! Right after this years' FALS WoO's A-main I called one of my buddies who drove over from Indiana last year but opted not to this year and rubbed it in as to how he missed a good one! Preconceived notions and 1 less than great experience can certainly be deceiving, for sure.

dirt crow
06-24-2019, 02:36 PM
Top 5 I’ve been to.... FALS, Eldora, I55, East Bay, West Plains. Honorable mention, Columbus MS under Stokes

Yall wanna really have some fun on here, start a worst top 5 tracks you’ve been to list. Lol

dirtcrazy4u
06-24-2019, 03:01 PM
You stated purely on racing. Guys from different regions will be biased to the area. But, going by ON-TRACK action.

Eldora, side by side racing, the place is tuff to beat
Port Royal, it is quickly becoming the place to be on a Saturday night.
Grandview Speedway in eastern pa. You tube this place, the racing is awesome.
East bay, I've never been disappointed
Tulsa, for the chilli bowl, you never know we're the winner is coming from.

BTExpress
06-24-2019, 03:28 PM
I am sure we have all been to many different dirt tracks over the years and have seen a great memorable race or two. My tracks listed are ones that generally produce great racing, no matter what the division. Most are on the smaller side, but I have seen some great races on half miles as well. Grandview(Pa), Lincoln(Pa), New Egypt (NJ), BAPS(Pa) and Weedsport(NY). Now in terms of atmosphere my top 5 are Knoxville, Eldora, Williams Grove, Port Royal & Grandview.

Clayton_Wetter
06-24-2019, 04:02 PM
You left a zero off top 1000!!

Oops, my mistake!!! :)

Clayton_Wetter
06-24-2019, 04:07 PM
is California even still in america ??????

No sir, they have seceded in reality......

WisWildManFan
06-24-2019, 04:57 PM
Can anyone argue FALS in this best 1/4 mile track in the country?

dirtcrazy4u
06-24-2019, 08:28 PM
There's a bullring in central pa that may give fals a challenge. Path Valley, hi banked 1/4 mile , concrete outer wall, mini eldora. I'm not sure if slm ever had a show, but the sprint cars put on a great show.

intel8
06-24-2019, 09:00 PM
In no order.
Eldora
Cedar Lake
I 80
Dubuque Ia.
I 55

HoosierDirtFan
06-24-2019, 09:24 PM
There's a bullring in central pa that may give fals a challenge. Path Valley, hi banked 1/4 mile , concrete outer wall, mini eldora. I'm not sure if slm ever had a show, but the sprint cars put on a great show.

I've see video of Path Valley on YouTube. Looks like a cool joint to watch a race at.

t3r3e3
06-24-2019, 10:57 PM

Have wanted to go there for a few years.

kazual
06-25-2019, 07:59 AM
Been to over 80 tracks but many only once, maybe it was a good night or an off night. I’m a weekly racing fan and think their weekly show needs to be included when looking at any list. As fans we have come to primarily think of specials when evaluating a track and the quality of racing. Sad.

jhanson
06-27-2019, 06:17 PM
I think Cedar Lake would be on most lists if it wasn't so far north. It is a unique track--very high-banked on #1 and #2
---still high-banked on #3 and #4 but not as pronounced---high speed track with several grooves---very ballsy for rim riders with their rear close to concrete--reminds me of rim riding at Eldora (three-eighths compared to larger Eldora)
--fan experience superb--creative promoters---constant facility upgrades--great track prep (all tracks can miss it on occasion--usually weather related) --Canadian fans at Cedar Lake are a hoot, eh ?

huskerdirt
06-27-2019, 08:14 PM
I think Cedar Lake would be on most lists if it wasn't so far north. It is a unique track--very high-banked on #1 and #2
---still high-banked on #3 and #4 but not as pronounced---high speed track with several grooves---very ballsy for rim riders with their rear close to concrete--reminds me of rim riding at Eldora (three-eighths compared to larger Eldora)
--fan experience superb--creative promoters---constant facility upgrades--great track prep (all tracks can miss it on occasion--usually weather related) --Canadian fans at Cedar Lake are a hoot, eh ?

They spend an hour to 90 minutes reworking the track on Saturday night of the USA nationals. That’s an automatic disqualification in my book. I’ll never go back to that place again. I didn’t drive 9 hours to see some fuking tractors ride around to fix the track because they can’t get it right.

Clayton_Wetter
06-27-2019, 08:32 PM
Them tractors just got their feelings hurt!!!! :)

AllenK
06-27-2019, 10:18 PM
Them tractors just got their feelings hurt!!!! :)

Tractor-bashing is killing the sport.

jhanson
06-27-2019, 10:49 PM
hee hee hee---well, when those Cedar Lake guys are out farming the track they are harvesting profits from those buffet lines on both the front and backstretch---cheese curds, burgers, beer, and a host of other stuff---ka ching ---money for big purses, big events, huge expanding camping area, etc.
I will say that if you like seeing drivers "feathering the throttle," stay away from Cedar Lake. They farm the track so it's fast and difficult, and the huge crowds testify to the product they produce. Yes,
some drivers whine about it---I guess they want something slick and dusty. Cedar Lake listens to the fans because the fans pay the bills.

chathamracefan
06-28-2019, 08:42 AM
I went to FALS both years for the WoO sprint shows. I gave them a pass for last year rubber down show. Really guess they just didn’t quite know how to prep it for the sprints. They got it right this year. Was the best outlaw feature so far this year from the ones I have seen with the fast pass. Lawrenceburg Show was up there also.

jhanson
06-28-2019, 09:08 AM
Yes, all tracks "miss it" on occasion---stuff happens. Some tracks have higher batting averages than other tracks, and some tracks are willing to try new approaches if what they have been doing has not been working.

Big Daddy 37
06-28-2019, 04:01 PM
hee hee hee---well, when those Cedar Lake guys are out farming the track they are harvesting profits from those buffet lines on both the front and backstretch---cheese curds, burgers, beer, and a host of other stuff---ka ching ---money for big purses, big events, huge expanding camping area, etc.
I will say that if you like seeing drivers "feathering the throttle," stay away from Cedar Lake. They farm the track so it's fast and difficult, and the huge crowds testify to the product they produce. Yes,
some drivers whine about it---I guess they want something slick and dusty. Cedar Lake listens to the fans because the fans pay the bills.

Not a single person will miss that Nebraska dude... He forgets to understand that CLS needs to keep farming the track to pass time to let the sun set. They wouldn't have the greatest driver introductions in racing, if it was still light out... Some just don't get it.

huskerdirt
06-28-2019, 04:14 PM
Not a single person will miss that Nebraska dude... He forgets to understand that CLS needs to keep farming the track to pass time to let the sun set. They wouldn't have the greatest driver introductions in racing, if it was still light out... Some just don't get it.

Wut. Are you really going with that statement? Honestly somebody should beat the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) out of you making such a stupid post.

Further proof that cedar lake is a garbage/overrated track.

That’s the dumbest excuse I’ve ever heard.... “uhhh yeah we need a 90 min track prep break because god forbid we start that much later.”

Zonks32x
06-28-2019, 04:34 PM
Husker,
Why you gotta go and be that guy again?
You don't have to like Cedar Lake, or the fact they know how to prep a track, or the fact their BIG event pays more than I-80, and has been around longer, but to call a place you've NEVER been to garbage, is just plain ignorance.

We get it, you don't like Cedar Lake because you had to sit through an intermission while watching the USA Nats on pay-per-view. Get over it!!
The truth is you dispute the quality of the racing surface, the racing, the facility, the campground, the food, the amount of people in the stands at CLS, etc., yet your @$$ has never been there.

Talk up I-80 all you want. I applaud that. I enjoy the fine folks of Nebraska and my visits to your fine state, but your act gets old.

Big Daddy 37
06-28-2019, 04:35 PM
I ran a track for a number of years, and I am jealous at how good (CLS in this case) is at making the most of their special occasion weekend.

I'll be at many of the larger scale events in the coming months, so Mr Husker, feel free to introduce yourself.

Tim Boeder
Brainerd, MN
Former Promoter at North Central Speedway

They call me Big Daddy for a reason. :)

huskerdirt
06-28-2019, 05:06 PM
Husker,
You don't have to like Cedar Lake, or the fact they know how to prep a track, or the fact their BIG event pays more than I-80, and has been around longer, but to call a place you've NEVER been to garbage, is just plain ignorance.

We get it, you don't like Cedar Lake because you had to sit through an intermission while watching the USA Nats on pay-per-view. Get over it!!
The truth is you dispute the quality of the racing surface, the racing, the facility, the campground, the food, the amount of people in the stands at CLS, etc., yet your @$$ has never been there.

Talk up I-80 all you want. I applaud that. I enjoy the fine folks of Nebraska and my visits to your fine state, but your act gets old.

You assumed I’ve never been there? I went in 2012. You are already wrong. The year Lanigan whipped everybody ass. The same year Scott James who got in by winning Thursday’s wrecked O’Neal in turn 2 who was running 2nd. Some fans didn’t like it and threw beer cans against the fence. We also suffered through a pretty decent storm that Friday night. Lost a tent/camping awning pretty wild night.

I’m not sure why you have to keep being that guy. Stop assuming it makes you look like a jackass like your buddy Big Daddy.

I never said anything about the racing/atmosphere or the people involved. Just stating a fact about the Saturday night track prep intermission. I don’t think it would be a top 5 track just based on that alone. Plenty of tracks get it right and dont show off the farm equipment during the show.

huskerdirt
06-28-2019, 05:15 PM
Husker,

I-80 is mentioned several times in this thread. None by me, which is awesome because it just feeds my ego even more and proves how big of an ignorant (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) you really are.

GregA12
06-28-2019, 05:35 PM
Husker,

I think he mentioned he went there once but to call one of the better tracks in the country (by most measures), “garbage” because he didnt like the pre-100 lap track prep shows he’s irrational on the subject for some reason. Sort of bizarre that you’d get worked up over it. Clearly both I80 and Cedar Lake are two of the better tracks/facilities out there.

AllenK
06-28-2019, 06:18 PM
The Comp Cams and MLRA late models series will be at track tonight that is certainly in my top 5. The Salina Highbanks speedway is an awesome track and facility. This is a bad fast and racy track. The backstretch starting cone used to be on a rope and crane because it will fall over due to the banking. They watered the track from the outside due to the banking also. When it's hooked up there can't be many tracks in the country that are faster.

fastford
06-28-2019, 06:30 PM
I ran a track for a number of years, and I am jealous at how good (CLS in this case) is at making the most of their special occasion weekend.

I'll be at many of the larger scale events in the coming months, so Mr Husker, feel free to introduce yourself.

Tim Boeder
Brainerd, MN

They call me Big Daddy for a reason. :)

well , there you go husker , yall let me know when and where this meeting will occur , i will try and make it , might be more entertaining than the race....lol.......

chupp n bloomer fan
06-28-2019, 09:20 PM
1.)Eldora-Period
2.)Atomic-New bleachers please
3.)Knoxville
4.)Lernerville-Still like Lville
5.)FALS

Never been to FALS or Knoxville. Just what I’ve seen, and I80 too.

To be honest though, out of this stretch of racing on DoD, Jacksonville was my favorite so far by far.

Didn’t see FALS, was in a wedding in Cleveland. Highly recommend a visit to the Great Lakes Brewing Company. Bad a$$

Clayton_Wetter
06-29-2019, 04:34 PM
I would kill to have track prep like Cedar Lake at my local track!!!!

thexfactor0210
06-29-2019, 04:56 PM
Eldora
FALS
Cedar Lake
I-80
East Bay

WisWildManFan
06-29-2019, 05:41 PM
There's a bullring in central pa that may give fals a challenge. Path Valley, hi banked 1/4 mile , concrete outer wall, mini eldora. I'm not sure if slm ever had a show, but the sprint cars put on a great show.I don't know how we can compare a track to FALS when they haven't hosted a super race.

4Barrel
06-29-2019, 05:59 PM
I like the action at Tazewell Tennessee.

Josh Bayko
06-29-2019, 06:17 PM
I don't know how we can compare a track to FALS when they haven't hosted a super race.

They’ve had super races before, and they were fantastic races.

jhanson
06-29-2019, 08:53 PM
I've walked the track at Tazewell and had fun measuring the steep banking---unfortunately my trip did not allow me to see a race there---looks fun. I did see good racing at high-banked Bulls Gap. Is it still called Volunteer ?

chupp n bloomer fan
06-29-2019, 08:54 PM
Yes they were. I love Path Valley. Darn good racing.

chupp n bloomer fan
06-29-2019, 08:55 PM

Tim Boeder
Brainerd, MN

They call me Big Daddy for a reason. :)Ahh look, you and husker can have a pecker measuring contest.

Both tracks seem cool to me, but both are very far.

WisWildManFan
06-29-2019, 09:01 PM
I wish I could watch some of these fantastic races...

Snowmanracr21
07-02-2019, 12:07 AM
In no specific order
Eldora
Attica
Oakshade
Knoxville
Fairbury

chupp n bloomer fan
07-02-2019, 10:02 AM
is California even still in america ??????We all rag on them, me included, have an aunt who lives there, not a fan, but there are some beautiful places there. And a lot of what they do ends up spreading in a few years.

You could spin that same argument about a few states. Southern included.

I’d like to attend a race with mountains or the ocean as a back drop. Be cool.

Barbecueboy
07-02-2019, 10:27 AM
Lake Tahoe winter or summer is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to ..California does have some awesome scenery.
Typical great place to visit but yah wouldn't want to live there......mainly because of the politics and policies.

chupp n bloomer fan
07-02-2019, 10:30 AM
Lake Tahoe winter or summer is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to ..California does have some awesome scenery.
Typical great place to visit but yah wouldn't want to live there......mainly because of the politics and policies.Precisely. But me personally, if I was loaded, my own island. And you can all keep your political BS and rules.

CIRF
07-02-2019, 02:06 PM
Since my wife is a commercial flight attendant our flying privileges are a strong incentive to travel. It used to be much easier than it is these days. Flights are almost always totally full and we have to fly standby.

Since we can travel so cheap we've been to most every area of California and the whole state is stunningly beautiful! We've been to Perris Auto Speedway, which is just outside Los Angeles for the Oval Nationals 3 times and to the Turkey Night Grand Prix once at Perris. One of the nicest dirt tracks in the country and exceedingly racy. The PA announcer at Perris is the best in the business, by far. Went to one Turkey Night and one regular night of racing at Ventura Raceway. The Pacific Ocean is only about 100 yards from turn #1 at Ventura. Went to Calistoga and the Cal Expo dirt mile in Sacramento but no racing was going on when we were at either place. They don't race cars at the Sacramento Mile anymore. Sad!

I really saddens us to see how far into the toilet Cali has sunk. We love visiting but wouldn't even consider living out there. But beautiful it is, for sure. We have a Lake Tahoe vacation planned for later this summer. We're going to be at Tahoe during the Hot August Nights car show August 6th thru the 11th. That's one of the coolest car shows in the country and we can't wait!

waaac77
07-02-2019, 02:38 PM
Hey Husker why don't you tell us more about how much better I-80 is than every single other track in the world since we haven't heard about it enough. My goodness dude. Get over yourself. You really do think you're God's gift to the human race. You have all of the answers! I'm curious, what do you do for a living?

huskerdirt
07-02-2019, 02:53 PM
Hey Husker why don't you tell us more about how much better I-80 is than every single other track in the world since we haven't heard about it enough. My goodness dude. Get over yourself. You really do think you're God's gift to the human race. You have all of the answers! I'm curious, what do you do for a living?

Where did I say I-80 was the better than every single track in the world? In fact I haven’t even brought I-80 other than acknowledging that it’s been mentioned in this thread.

What I do for a living is irrelevant to the conversation.

HoosierDirtFan
07-02-2019, 03:27 PM
Husker.
not harping on you just a question?

I hear Eagle Raceway is a good track for racing. You ever been there?
Just wondered.

huskerdirt
07-02-2019, 03:42 PM
Husker.
not harping on you just a question?

I hear Eagle Raceway is a good track for racing. You ever been there?
Just wondered.

Eagle probably provides the best weekly racing in the state. Very efficient with the program usually get a 6 class/130 car program done in 4 hours. When an incident happens the safety crew is responding before cars are even stopped.

I usually get to 2 or 3 shows a year, mostly because I’m hitting a SLMR show somewhere on Saturday night.

chupp n bloomer fan
07-02-2019, 04:57 PM
Since my wife is a commercial flight attendant our flying privileges are a strong incentive to travel. It used to be much easier than it is these days. Flights are almost always totally full and we have to fly standby.

Since we can travel so cheap we've been to most every area of California and the whole state is stunningly beautiful! We've been to Perris Auto Speedway, which is just outside Los Angeles for the Oval Nationals 3 times and to the Turkey Night Grand Prix once at Perris. One of the nicest dirt tracks in the country and exceedingly racy. The PA announcer at Perris is the best in the business, by far. Went to one Turkey Night and one regular night of racing at Ventura Raceway. The Pacific Ocean is only about 100 yards from turn #1 at Ventura. Went to Calistoga and the Cal Expo dirt mile in Sacramento but no racing was going on when we were at either place. They don't race cars at the Sacramento Mile anymore. Sad!

I really saddens us to see how far into the toilet Cali has sunk. We love visiting but wouldn't even consider living out there. But beautiful it is, for sure. We have a Lake Tahoe vacation planned for later this summer. We're going to be at Tahoe during the Hot August Nights car show August 6th thru the 11th. That's one of the coolest car shows in the country and we can't wait!Is the car show right at Lake Tahoe? My aunt that I mentioned who lives in Cali, that was somewhere her husband and her used to go before he passed. They actually took my Grandma there to before she passed. Sad thing is, Louie was from Cali, great guy, my Aunt, Ohio, not so much.

I think it’s mostly Hollywood, LA, SF, that give it a bad name. I was in SF when I was six, rode cable cars etc for their wedding. Love to visit all of it again, and definitely not live there.

Ventura be cool to see then.

dirt junkie
07-02-2019, 05:19 PM
Top 5 I have attended
Eldora
Haubstadt-Tri State
Macon
Florence
Thunderbowl-Tulare California

fastford
07-02-2019, 07:53 PM
never been there CIRF , Las Vegas is far west as ive been , but from what ive seen it has a lot to offer scenic wise , i think the problem is the city,s , which from what i see , isnt attractive at all , with the tents and needles and such....

CIRF
07-02-2019, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by chupp n bloomer fan Is the car show right at Lake Tahoe? My aunt that I mentioned who lives in Cali, that was somewhere her husband and her used to go before he passed. They actually took my Grandma there to before she passed. Sad thing is, Louie was from Cali, great guy, my Aunt, Ohio, not so much.

I think it’s mostly Hollywood, LA, SF, that give it a bad name. I was in SF when I was six, rode cable cars etc for their wedding. Love to visit all of it again, and definitely not live there.

Ventura be cool to see then.

cnb, there are two shows that make up Hot August Nights. August 2nd & 3rd is the first weekend and this portion of the show is held in Virginia City, Nevada. The big show is in Reno/Sparks and it goes 6 nights, August 6th thru August 11th. That's the one we're planning on going to. We also plan on renting a boat and spending some time on Lake Tahoe. We've been to Lake Tahoe but never have we spent very much time on the water. Hot August Nights is one of the biggest and best car shows west of the Mississippi River. It's a bucket list event and destination for us.

We've been to LA more times than I ever wanted to. When we'd go out west for the races we'd always fly into Ontario which is not far from the NASCAR track and also close to Pomona and the LA County Fairgrounds, home to the famous drag strip and the NHRA museum. LAX is the armpit of all airports we've ever used. Plus, it's in a bad part of town! My niece lives in LA and naturally we've been obliged to visit her while we're out there but LA is as nasty as chitcago, and that's saying something! Never been to Hollywood and only been to San Francisco once and Oakland once. Both are crap holes! Sacramento is a not a nice place, either. Bad, bad gang problems in Sactown.

cnb, if you ever get the opportunity be sure to go to a race at Ventura! It's the coolest racetrack of any kind we've ever been to. When I say it's right on the Pacific Ocean, I mean RIGHT on the ocean. The pit area is basically on the beach. The track itself is very good and racy but nothing out of the ordinary other than it's proximity to the Pacific. Turkey Night has been spectacularly good since it moved to Ventura. It seems Bell and Larson have slugged it out every year since it moved to Ventura from Perris.

Sorry so long but you hit on one of our hot button topics.

CIRF
07-02-2019, 10:16 PM
never been there CIRF , Las Vegas is far west as ive been , but from what ive seen it has a lot to offer scenic wise , i think the problem is the city,s , which from what i see , isnt attractive at all , with the tents and needles and such....

ff, don't hesitate to go out to Cali. As you said, if you stay away from the urban areas it's an absolutely gorgeous state. If you ever get back to Vegas I'd suggest driving over to So Cal from there. It's about a 4 hour+ drive to the coast from Vegas and it's all desert but worth the time and effort at least once. The scenery is so different from what we have here in the Midwest.

I would also recommend Ventura to you, as well. Ventura/Oxnard is in a high production agricultural area. It's much smaller and MUCH nicer than anything in or around LA. There is a very, very good seafood restaurant right on the Ventura Pier. Actually, the pier is within walking distance from the racetrack. The Ventura Pier is one of the longest on the west coast. IIRC it goes out into the Pacific 1/4 of a mile or so.