PDA

View Full Version : DOD and Lucas Oil

obamaracing#1
06-29-2019, 10:46 PM
Have a feeling Lucas Oil is tightening the reins on what they allow DOD to broadcast. Someone mentioned it awhile back as well on 4m I think.. Lucas Oil now has it on broadcast channel right?.. I noticed DOD hasn't been showing Lucas Oil heats or posting videos of Lucas Oil events right away like other events. If so what a bummer

play4kps
06-29-2019, 11:39 PM
I noticed that too. But it almost does not matter, most Lucas races arent very good anyways.Very little passing if any most races!

bleedblue55
06-30-2019, 06:01 AM
A lot of that has to do with many tracks being technologically challenged. There are times when even photos of the previous nights race aren't posted till the next morning. Lucas posted on social media Friday that they were having trouble getting Race Monitor to work on their site so they were posting updates on facebook and twitter. Still beats the old days when you'd get a weekly newsletter. You can watch a race live from Tyler Co. because they broadcast via a satellite link but many people have zero cell phone service there because of the lack of cell towers in that region.

Switchback29A1
06-30-2019, 09:22 AM
Yes Lucas oil asked DOD to stop posting videos of the heat races. I’m not sure if it has something to do with LORTV or what, but it’s pretty crappy of Lucas oil to take away the biggest outlet dirt fans have, not to mention the exposure the teams are losing now. Shame on LOLMDS

Mason87
06-30-2019, 09:43 AM
Well that sucks, maybe lucas will eventually start showing more races.

chupp n bloomer fan
06-30-2019, 09:51 AM
Agreed. Our main outlet, and oh no, don’t show coverage. Kinda ridiculous. Now if they aren’t paying for the rights, which I’m sure they are, different story. But they should be wanting all the exposure they can get, but less.

chupp n bloomer fan
06-30-2019, 09:51 AM
....Not less

mccreadiefan39
06-30-2019, 09:58 AM
Have a feeling Lucas Oil is tightening the reins on what they allow DOD to broadcast. Someone mentioned it awhile back as well on 4m I think.. Lucas Oil now has it on broadcast channel right?.. I noticed DOD hasn't been showing Lucas Oil heats or posting videos of Lucas Oil events right away like other events. If so what a bummer

This was confirmed by Michael Rigsby on the live chat during the Firecracker weekend. He said "Lucas asked DoD to reduce the amount of video they show of Lucas events"

The entire situation with the Lucas series and their lack of exposure (PPV events and social media) is mind boggling.

I'm sorry but in 2019 watching a replay of a race from 2-3 months ago on MavTV just won't cut it.

WildBill32
06-30-2019, 10:00 AM
I could understand it, if LORTV were showing all the highlights and the A-Mains of there races. But, they are not. After Speedweeks LORTV does not give you much coverage at all.

wfofan
06-30-2019, 12:05 PM
On average, dirt track racing is becoming as boring as Nascrap...
Just not that exciting anymore...

play4kps
06-30-2019, 01:41 PM
lucas oil series has not been a blessing to dirt late model racing, the money that is in that series due to corporate sponsorship has drastically reduced car counts and the amounts of competitive cars at their races, throw in their garbage caution rule about not stopping on track and u get your spot back. Dirt on dirt has been awesome and has done a tremendous job promoting the Lucas oil series and thats how they get repaid, but on the same token, those same companies that have been destroying this sport are also major sponsors on DOD.

huskerdirt
06-30-2019, 01:48 PM
lucas oil series has not been a blessing to dirt late model racing, the money that is in that series due to corporate sponsorship has drastically reduced car counts and the amounts of competitive cars at their races, throw in their garbage caution rule about not stopping on track and u get your spot back. Dirt on dirt has been awesome and has done a tremendous job promoting the Lucas oil series and thats how they get repaid, but on the same token, those same companies that have been destroying this sport are also major sponsors on DOD.

Insert WoO instead of Lucas. You have the exact same argument.

rdcllk
06-30-2019, 02:00 PM
^^^^ That's what I was thinking. Both are pretty much the same.

play4kps
06-30-2019, 02:23 PM
Yes, WOO is just as bad!

zyoung25
06-30-2019, 04:07 PM
I can see the lucas doing an app type deal having the same type of coverage as DoD does now, which will probably cut out DoD completely on their coverage of lucas events. Basically it will be another way for them to get our money in the long run. It sucks because the guys at DoD do a great job of keeping us up to date on everything on anything and everything dirt late model, they don't deserve to be pushed out something they brought to us before anyone else did.

I hope I'm wrong. It seems this is the path every body is going down now days. Every major sport has an app to watch their events on, instead of watching it on ESPN or whatever else.

chupp n bloomer fan
06-30-2019, 04:16 PM
I can see the lucas doing an app type deal having the same type of coverage as DoD does now, which will probably cut out DoD completely on their coverage of lucas events. Basically it will be another way for them to get our money in the long run. It sucks because the guys at DoD do a great job of keeping us up to date on everything on anything and everything dirt late model, they don't deserve to be pushed out something they brought to us before anyone else did.

I hope I'm wrong. It seems this is the path every body is going down now days. Every major sport has an app to watch their events on, instead of watching it on ESPN or whatever else.Absolutely sadly agree with you.

DoD is the best there is for our sport, and Lucas doing this stuff is just BS. DoD took the chance and made there company what it is, Lucas hasn’t done well at all of being in the forefront on coverage.

Not like Forrest needs the cash, could make a good deal with DoD and not bone them.

racenut
06-30-2019, 05:07 PM
flexing muscles....just like UMP/WoO when a small UMP track wants to put on a LUCAS show. Unless grandfathered in with a long running race, the track is then threatened with losing UMP sanction. A lot of places, not a big deal, but it (sadly) is a big deal in the heart of UMP Land...muscle flexing.....

DoD has really been pushing the Summernationals along with the stupid(IMHO) self appointed nickname....
Wondering out loud here.....might be a bit of...."Who ya gonna support?"

hoosier race fan
06-30-2019, 05:17 PM
Too many people doing things in the interest of money (greed) and not in the interest of the sport (along with its competitors and fans).

pierceFAN
06-30-2019, 05:45 PM
we always here this...."support your local track"...its directed towards the fans...but how about the drivers?...shouldnt they too support the local tracks?...close the doors on the tracks and they have no place to race...at the rate the tracks are closing it wont be long until there will be no weekly racing at all

play4kps
06-30-2019, 08:55 PM
And to be honest, the races on Mav tv sucks, they are boring as heck, they do note epitomize in any way shape or form the excitement of most dirt late model racing.

Noreast
06-30-2019, 10:34 PM
Get in a car and drive to a track and you won't have to worry about the crappy TV coverage!!!

Mason87
06-30-2019, 10:44 PM
Not everyone has that luxury Noreast

chupp n bloomer fan
07-01-2019, 03:45 AM
Get in a car and drive to a track and you won't have to worry about the crappy TV coverage!!!Wow, you totally nailed it, we never thought of that. I won’t be at work today, I’m driving 10 hours to a race. Hey kids, I won’t be at your sporting event, I’m going to a race. Sorry I can’t be in your wedding, I’m going to a race.

Some of us have things to do and do not live close to these tracks or are remodeling a bathroom etc.

So what Lucas is doing is just not good for the sport.

pap
07-01-2019, 08:33 AM
Wouldn't it make sense that sponsors would want more exposure instead of less?? If I was looking to get my name on someone's car, I would want the most exposure possible for the money spent. Just doesn't seem like they want the drivers getting sponsorship with this move. Fewer eyes watching, fewer chances for a driver to get their name out there.

huskerdirt
07-01-2019, 08:48 AM
Wouldn't it make sense that sponsors would want more exposure instead of less?? If I was looking to get my name on someone's car, I would want the most exposure possible for the money spent. Just doesn't seem like they want the drivers getting sponsorship with this move. Fewer eyes watching, fewer chances for a driver to get their name out there.

You get 100x the exposure in front of a crowd than a 3 min highlight video on the internet.

reid boys
07-01-2019, 10:18 AM
You get 100x the exposure in front of a crowd than a 3 min highlight video on the internet.
How do you figure that?

Tireguy17
07-01-2019, 10:25 AM
Boy there are a bunch of people here complaining in this "we need it now or we are not happy" society.

DoD is great for the sport, no doubt, but it's Lucas' decision how to have their content shared and consumed.

In my opinion: missing DoD highlight coverage (3-5 min videos) is not moving the sponsorship needle for Lucas and its drivers. The drivers website, Social media usage, t-shirt sales......and wait for it......race results.....do far more than DoD to satisfy and lure sponsorship.

huskerdirt
07-01-2019, 10:34 AM
How do you figure that?

Well if you aren’t in the top 3 or bringing out cautions. Then the likely hood of having a ton of exposure is limited.

Most people can’t even read the sponsors on the car in a highlight video.

The number watching the highlights is small in comparison to the real world.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-01-2019, 11:23 AM
The Lucas series has unfortunately become the steward for car rules. They have failed miserably at keeping the cars in check. Why should we expect them to make good decisions in this regard.

pap
07-01-2019, 12:24 PM
Husker and tireguy, I get what you guys are saying. Just seems like coverage would only help someone in a boardroom that might not go to the track often or maybe never goes to the track, agree to give sponsor dollars, just because there is some video content. JMO and thanks for the discussion.

#FALSuperman
07-01-2019, 01:18 PM
flexing muscles....just like UMP/WoO when a small UMP track wants to put on a LUCAS show. Unless grandfathered in with a long running race, the track is then threatened with losing UMP sanction. A lot of places, not a big deal, but it (sadly) is a big deal in the heart of UMP Land...muscle flexing.....

DoD has really been pushing the Summernationals along with the stupid(IMHO) self appointed nickname....
Wondering out loud here.....might be a bit of...."Who ya gonna support?"

The ONLY reason FALS doesn't have a Lucas race...Lucas, of course did have first option several years ago when FALS came to them about a partnership with PDC.
Lucas declined.
Enter WOO, PDC is now a premier race, probably biggest 1/4 dirt race for Super Late Models in America.
Lucas tries to schedule a Tour race and FALS is threatened by UMP.