PDA

View Full Version : Race Fan?

Kromulous
07-08-2019, 08:45 AM
We slung a belt, jones serpentine. track had some chop in it but... 2nd time we had this happen, to some degree.

I am noticing the water pump bolts are working loose sometimes. We check them all the time now, but i am wondering if anyone out there is having a issue with these fans?

We have ours on a EB Victor series pump, and a 3" spacer, with 4 blades in it. My theory is that its to heavy that far out away from the bolts and when we hit a hole etc its moving around to much? Seem probable? Its almost like it needs a 3rd bearing out there.

I thought about making a turn-buckle type thing to stiffen it up, mount out by the pulley, then back strap it beck to the Intake Manifold. That or just a short spacer, but i will lose spacing to the Rad, but i do have a shroud.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-08-2019, 10:02 AM
We slung a belt, jones serpentine. track had some chop in it but... 2nd time we had this happen, to some degree.

I am noticing the water pump bolts are working loose sometimes. We check them all the time now, but i am wondering if anyone out there is having a issue with these fans?

We have ours on a EB Victor series pump, and a 3" spacer, with 4 blades in it. My theory is that its to heavy that far out away from the bolts and when we hit a hole etc its moving around to much? Seem probable? Its almost like it needs a 3rd bearing out there.

I thought about making a turn-buckle type thing to stiffen it up, mount out by the pulley, then back strap it beck to the Intake Manifold. That or just a short spacer, but i will lose spacing to the Rad, but i do have a shroud.

We have a very similar setup to you, but with the old school GM fan. We also had bolts coming loose. It turned out our bolts were barely too long. It pulled the pump tight as they bottomed out.

Jking24
07-08-2019, 12:58 PM
We have a very similar setup to you, but with the old school GM fan. We also had bolts coming loose. It turned out our bolts were barely too long. It pulled the pump tight as they bottomed out.I too have seen this quite often we typically have to run a few thin washers to get it perfect. We're running the race fan four blade with a little less spacer and have run same setup on super and crate. No problems

perfconn
07-08-2019, 03:23 PM
I know you run the length of spacer necessary to put the fan where you want it but a long spacer is like a diving board.The furthur out you put the fan the more vibration it will have.Make a longer shroud and use a shorter spacer.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-08-2019, 03:58 PM
I know you run the length of spacer necessary to put the fan where you want it but a long spacer is like a diving board.The furthur out you put the fan the more vibration it will have.Make a longer shroud and use a shorter spacer.

If you can, I agree. We have the long spacer to miss our steering rack.

CCHIEF
07-08-2019, 11:09 PM
You using a 19" or a 17" MBR?

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-09-2019, 06:03 AM
You using a 19" or a 17" MBR?

19" fan on ours.

Kromulous
07-09-2019, 08:53 AM
Yeah, we got the same Issue, hitting the rack.

JustAddDirt
07-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Yeah, we got the same Issue, hitting the rack.

On the MasterSbilt car that MBR is speaking of, I had to raise the motor 3/8-to 1/2"so the oil pan corner would not contact steering shaft, also had to slide the rack to the left a bit in the slotted chassis mount. This issue appeared after the raised cross member was installed. it is pretty tight fit, depending on what fan spacer is being used. I believe I used a 3.5" which is pretty well standard from what I have been told on a Masters car.

billetbirdcage
07-09-2019, 10:31 AM

I have seen this a few times with some water pumps that don't have long enough shaft/pilot sticking out of flange. With a thick aluminum pulley, there isn't enough sticking out of the pulley to actually center or locate the spacer/fan and it can have run out in it and thus vibrate and loosen bolts on water pump to block. Worth a look

Kromulous
07-09-2019, 04:51 PM
I'll check this one Billet, i cant remember if that EB water pump has a long pilot or not. I know the Adams did, but not this one.

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-09-2019, 07:57 PM
Is the engine ok, Krom? I saw a bunch of steam.

Kromulous
07-10-2019, 09:08 AM
He noticed it climbed to about 270* in those 1st few laps of racing, then shut it off. Should be ok, but haven't started it since, will take a closer look at tonight or tomorrow.

CCHIEF
07-10-2019, 02:25 PM
Toss belts again?

Kromulous
07-10-2019, 09:15 PM
From Saturday night, we are just once a week guys Chief LOL. MBR was running at Lburg that night as well. They ran well too, car looked good.

Sometimes I wish I could run the roads and race 5 nights a week. Used to be Truck driver years ago, Miss the traveling etc. Then I think I would miss my son to much to stand it long LOL.

dkibel
07-11-2019, 08:16 AM
Well im glad it wasnt just me. I was at Lburg saturday night as well and my water pump bolts came loose. We had a water pump failure the week before and just used Lburg as a shakedown. After inspection this week we had a bit of runout on the water pump pulley that i thought was causing the bolts to come loose.

Kromulous
07-11-2019, 08:43 AM
Dkibel, you running a Race Fan as well?

dkibel
07-11-2019, 09:35 AM
Correct, i have not been impressed. I put my 17" steel fan back on it this week.

Kromulous
07-12-2019, 08:51 AM
Ended up getting a chance to work on it last night, took a look at the belt and all the little V's in the middle portion of the belt was wore down flat. I think it was just wore out, via dirt and being old etc. It may of been the original belt, not sure.

I ended up making a bunch of shrouds etc to shield it somewhat, they should help, hopefully.

billetbirdcage
07-12-2019, 11:51 AM
I ended up making a bunch of shrouds etc to shield it somewhat, they should help, hopefully.

Put one from the RF lower arm inner mounting point forward to the radiator area and up to the main frame rail (4" or so tall), this will stop a lot of dirt from going to the rack and balancer area

eight r
07-15-2019, 06:24 AM
I had water pump coming loose as well...turned out the fan was out of balance...if running a 4 blade race fan you will have extra mounting hole for adding other blades...make sure it is balanced out across from one another